The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: First ice  (Read 6216 times)

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: First ice
« Reply #30 on: Nov 22, 2022, 01:19 PM »
There was someone fishing on a couple inches in the Poconos yesterday morning. I saw the video but will not post it and support such behavior.  ;)
Really, that’s crazy.  Hopefully that’s a sign for good things to come.  I agree though, safety is the most important thing, not worth risking your life over a fish.  I’ll be out on the boat until I can’t drop it into the soft water anymore. 

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Nov 22, 2022, 01:50 PM »
Yep! He likes to post on YouTube and declare himself the first person icefishing in Pa for the season.  ::)

I noticed all our local ponds were capped but didn’t bother to measure as there was probably only 1/2” to 3/4” at most. And getting into the 40’s the rest of the week with rain on Friday will not improve things.

I’ll wait til there’s a good 4” before I go out on it!
Where's the FISH?!

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Nov 22, 2022, 04:49 PM »
Exactly, not risking my life just to say I was the first.  Ill stay afloat on my boat and cover some water.  I love the jerkbait bite this time of year.  A few years ago I was out on my boat til the middle of January.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Nov 23, 2022, 07:28 AM »
Yep, Rutt sent me the link to that vid. He was on a well known lake in an area that was less than 2' deep. Rutt and I fished that same lake around this time of year several years ago. But... I'll wait. Lots of other things to do until the lakes are capped with 4" of ice.

Offline uncleshorty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born up the mountain, raised in a cave...
« Reply #34 on: Nov 27, 2022, 11:26 AM »
"Safe" ice or ice?

"Safe" ice, (4+ inches), 3rd - 4th week, in Jan in Cambria/Blair counties
Ice fishin' & turtlin's all I crave...

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Nov 29, 2022, 08:57 AM »
SAFE ice! Still looking like 12/10 on Accuweather forecast.............. ..
Where's the FISH?!

Offline DeadYote

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Nov 29, 2022, 10:25 AM »
Damn, surprised to see so many people shooting for ice in mid-December. Last year was my first season ice fishing in North Central PA and we didn't get out until second week of January. Hope you all are right!

Hitting the Tackle Shack open house this weekend and I think I'm going to be fully out of hunting mode and fully into hardwater mode.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Dec 01, 2022, 05:03 PM »
Damn, surprised to see so many people shooting for ice in mid-December. Last year was my first season ice fishing in North Central PA and we didn't get out until second week of January. Hope you all are right!

Hitting the Tackle Shack open house this weekend and I think I'm going to be fully out of hunting mode and fully into hardwater mode.

LOL! Most of these guys are hoping for ice in July!  :icefish:

Offline mitcher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Dec 07, 2022, 01:47 PM »
Glad i did not put the boat away. This weather stinks...

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Dec 08, 2022, 04:54 AM »
Boat will be out all winter at this point.  I stopped winterizing it the last few years due to our mild winters we've been having.

Offline mitcher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Dec 08, 2022, 06:31 AM »
Have to keep our options open. lol

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Dec 08, 2022, 10:29 AM »
Glad i did not put the boat away. This weather stinks...

Hang in there! The cold weather has just been delayed............... ....but forecast looks good for the week before Christmas! I’m shooting for Dec. 17th now............🤞🤞🤞
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Dec 08, 2022, 05:23 PM »
yep, still to early to get the blues about the weather. I just wish it would stop raining so much!

Offline Scranton Joe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Dec 11, 2022, 11:14 AM »
The 10 day weather forecast looks good. Hopefully  we will be ice fishing sooner than later.

Offline Icefishingjames

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Dec 11, 2022, 01:16 PM »
Extended forecast does look solid. If it sticks, I imagine some ice here by Christmas in NWPA. Historically though it's going to be early January

Offline Iceman7474

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Dec 11, 2022, 06:46 PM »
Looks like Santa is bringing us some hardwater for Christmas!!! Forecast for the 21 on is looking very very promising!

Offline Crappie-addict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Dec 11, 2022, 07:31 PM »
I'm hoping to fish high point lake on Christmas day! Before moving on to greener ice fishing pastures (I'm moving to northern michigan 3 days later).

Offline PikeChaser198

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Let it run, it can't get out of the pond
« Reply #47 on: Dec 11, 2022, 08:36 PM »
Our first day on last season was 01/19 and we probably shouldn’t of been 😂
Ebensburg Fishing & Hunting
3657 Admiral Peary HWY
Ebensburg, PA
(814) 472-5980 / Facebook & Instagram

Clete's Taxidermy Studio
(814) 471-4898 / Facebook & Instagram

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #48 on: Dec 12, 2022, 05:00 AM »
Good luck on your move Crappie-addict!

I'll be checking ice up here a bit more often now, it's a bit early yet but I'm hoping to be walking on water before Christmas!  :icefish:

Offline Ice_Surveyor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #49 on: Dec 12, 2022, 07:14 AM »

I'll be checking ice up here a bit more often now, it's a bit early yet but I'm hoping to be walking on water before Christmas!  :icefish:

You think the Pocono lakes will freeze by then? Down here in Chester County its been warm and rainy, about the usual anymore.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #50 on: Dec 12, 2022, 07:55 AM »
dude, the difference between Chester and Pike are night and day. There are several lakes that I can believe will have ice on em by Christmas. But weather is weather, we will see what we will see.

Offline Ice_Surveyor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Dec 12, 2022, 08:56 AM »
dude, the difference between Chester and Pike are night and day. There are several lakes that I can believe will have ice on em by Christmas. But weather is weather, we will see what we will see.

(Image removed from quote.)

Oh I believe you. I just dont have a lot of experience to really know when to expect ice. I'm glad to hear we might have some ice soon. Really looking forward to getting out there this year. Had a lot of fun the handful of times I was out last year.

Offline dsr02364

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Dec 12, 2022, 11:03 AM »
Based on this forecast for a North Central PA town, I am thinking we could possibly be on the ice by the new year.
Thoughts?

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Dec 12, 2022, 11:12 AM »
could be. I know I'll be checking some lakes for the next few weeks.

Offline RuttNutt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Dec 12, 2022, 11:30 AM »
You think the Pocono lakes will freeze by then? Down here in Chester County its been warm and rainy, about the usual anymore.

I would bet on it! 😜

There is a HUGE difference between Philly and the Poconos! Even Lehigh Valley and the Poconos. My wife was in Bethlehem yesterday doing some Christmas shopping- nothing but rain there. Meanwhile in Pike Co. it was snowing all day and was a winter wonderland. She got stuck 4 miles from home when the firemen shut down the road to pull 2 cars back up the embankment.

Heck, there’s even a big difference between Pike and Northern Wayne/Susquehanna counties.......... one year we had open water in Pike and we were fishing on 8” of solid ice at Belmont and Upper woods! 🤪

I’ll be out checking ice starting tomorrow on one of my local lakes. It is usually 2-3” behind some of the other colder Pocono lakes, so that usually gives me a pretty good idea. Then I activate the NEPA Ice Recon Team to get a firsthand (“boots on the ice”) report!  ;)
Where's the FISH?!

Offline Ice_Surveyor

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Dec 12, 2022, 02:19 PM »
I would bet on it! 😜

There is a HUGE difference between Philly and the Poconos! Even Lehigh Valley and the Poconos. My wife was in Bethlehem yesterday doing some Christmas shopping- nothing but rain there. Meanwhile in Pike Co. it was snowing all day and was a winter wonderland. She got stuck 4 miles from home when the firemen shut down the road to pull 2 cars back up the embankment.

Heck, there’s even a big difference between Pike and Northern Wayne/Susquehanna counties.......... one year we had open water in Pike and we were fishing on 8” of solid ice at Belmont and Upper woods! 🤪

I’ll be out checking ice starting tomorrow on one of my local lakes. It is usually 2-3” behind some of the other colder Pocono lakes, so that usually gives me a pretty good idea. Then I activate the NEPA Ice Recon Team to get a firsthand (“boots on the ice”) report!  ;)

Awesome. I have spent more money than I care to admit and I'm chomping at the bit too fish.

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Dec 12, 2022, 07:31 PM »
I live in Chester Co and have been ice fishing many years. Used to have to drill through a foot or or more of ice locally; now some years we don't get any safe ice. Often I'll drive two hours north to ice fish; sometimes farther. Many times there is skim or no ice around here and plenty on the Pocono Plateau. Last year I got out a few time around here which was a bonus.

Offline Crappie-addict

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #57 on: Dec 12, 2022, 10:18 PM »

Thank you!

Offline icerfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I Like Animals, There Delicous :)
« Reply #58 on: Dec 18, 2022, 03:18 PM »
Today while out on the road I Went past several ponds that had skim ice over them . If the weather forecast hold there just might be fish able ice a couple days after Christmas here in south west Pennsylvania.😁

Offline wiredstone

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Dec 18, 2022, 07:21 PM »
I  will be out Saturday. Scouting trip
 :tipup:
MAY YOUR FLAGS FLY HIGH & YOUR LINES BE TIGHT.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.