Author Topic: The New 9:45 Thread..  (Read 212425 times)

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: The New 9:45 Thread..
« Reply #450 on: Nov 20, 2022, 08:37 AM »
Beautiful buck!

Congratulations to Mr. WW :clap: :clap: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

WS

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #451 on: Nov 20, 2022, 09:02 AM »
Nada here... not as windy today, but dang cold sitting. Heard two shots, one just after 6am and one right about 8, both very distant. Took a crack at a coyote about 7:30 but I undershot it  :%$#!:

My toes said uncle around 8:30, so I just got back to the house.

Very nice ww  :thumbsup:

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #452 on: Nov 20, 2022, 09:15 AM »
Nada here... not as windy today, but dang cold sitting. Heard two shots, one just after 6am and one right about 8, both very distant. Took a crack at a coyote about 7:30 but I undershot it  :%$#!:

My toes said uncle around 8:30, so I just got back to the house.

Very nice ww  :thumbsup:

Not to steal the thread Z man but I HAD trouble with cold feet. Tried 'em all for the most part. But since I got the Bogs Bozemans a few years ago...no more. In the stand...on the ice...in a boat. All good. Lightweight, waterproof and rated at -70*. Pair of liner socks and any good wooly is all ya' need.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #453 on: Nov 20, 2022, 09:22 AM »

There out there   way to go Mr. WW        Bait stop then scramble some gear together should be on ice this afternoon

Offline wallyworld

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #454 on: Nov 20, 2022, 10:29 AM »
Thanks all, I will pass along all the  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Offline icefisher-45

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #455 on: Nov 20, 2022, 11:58 AM »
Congratulations Mr WallyWorld.
Take a kid ice fishing

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #456 on: Nov 20, 2022, 03:39 PM »
Congratulations Mr WallyWorld. Nice one

Attacked the Red oak again today, pretty much down to the main trunk of about 30-35 feet long has some hollows in it, one could have been a raccoons home

Oh yeah I’m setting near the top end
Bud

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #457 on: Nov 20, 2022, 05:38 PM »

Made it out today about 50 people there stayed 1.5 hrs. no bites, no fish but still was nice to get out. Long nap afterward

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #458 on: Nov 20, 2022, 06:53 PM »
Not to steal the thread Z man but I HAD trouble with cold feet. Tried 'em all for the most part. But since I got the Bogs Bozemans a few years ago...no more. In the stand...on the ice...in a boat. All good. Lightweight, waterproof and rated at -70*. Pair of liner socks and any good wooly is all ya' need.

It's a foot problem, not a boot problem. I almost lost my toes when I was 19, and my feet have been cold ever since. I can literally burn them without them feeling hot.

Goose egg on hunting again... went back out from about 2 until dark and never even heard a shot, let alone saw a deer.

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #459 on: Nov 20, 2022, 06:56 PM »
Goose egg on hunting again... went back out from about 2 until dark and never even heard a shot, let alone saw a deer.

Z...Do you get to hunt this coming week?

WS

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #460 on: Nov 20, 2022, 06:58 PM »
Well checked the small lake and found some ice, then went hunting, seen a rooster and 2 hens and then killed a few crows and then seen a rooster on private as inwas walking the river. Was nice being out, now to maybe hit the ice, but might let it build for a fee more days.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #461 on: Nov 20, 2022, 07:05 PM »
Z...Do you get to hunt this coming week?

WS

No, our season is 7 days. This was the first 3 that just ended. The last 4 days are the Thursday-Sunday the week after Thanksgiving.

Gonna try to sneak in a couple hours of ice time tomorrow morning on a small river backwater that is frozen up pretty solid. The weather is supposed to turn tomorrow, so the bit of ice we have now will be gone in a couple days.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #462 on: Nov 20, 2022, 11:25 PM »
Good evening pleasant day here with a high temperature around forty dropping into the twenties overnight by me and teens in the Catskill mountain region of NY. which is north and North West of me.
Ice Wanderer glad you got to camp and back home safely. Looking forward to your trip report challenging hunting conditions. Your camp must be out in the wilds of Maine. I hope today's job went well for you and the boss.
Zcm-82 may you see more deer activity during the second half of the season. be careful and best to you with fishing the ox-bow. Sorry to read about your foot problem.
Eddie guess you will have to wait for post sampling reports to know if the jelly was hot enough for the crew. I graduated from Newburgh Free Academy(NFA) in 1979 as you said best to both teams with this Saturday's game. Question for you is there a group called Christian brother's that has several schools my sister said there is a Christian Brothers in New Jersey I also believe there is one in Wallyworld's section of NY. I realize some group could own several schools which I assume are private but may compete in public school league for sports assume their is a church relationship with the name. Happy birthday wishes sent for your grandson Landen. If your son's went out may they have seen some deer.
Icefisher-45 Happy Anniversary hope the two of you had a nice dinner. Glad the two of you had a nice trip to the chapel.
Old goat congratulations on getting out ice fishing may you have better results on the next trip.
Whooper Stopper may your Sister and BIL recover quickly from the Covid and have no linger problems related to the virus. Sorry you will not be able to visit with her. You do realize your wife may go shopping for a new cribbage board.  ::) :whistle:
Hunts2long may you wife have found all the items she needed for Thanksgiving meal. Instant mashed potatoes seems to be a hard item to keep stocked this year for some reason. So far I have not seen any problems with cranberries. If there is time left in the season may you get a chance to fire your rifle next time out sounds like deer activity during daylight is increasing in your hunting area. I hope it was a good nigh for you and your teammates at the bowling alley.
Wallyworld please give my congratulations to Mr.WW nice looking buck enjoy the venison. Sorry to hear your grandson's team lost all of their games. glad you made the correct choice and had no weather related problems getting home.
Raquettedacker may all be good with you and the family. may you be seeing deer while out hunting.
Fish/hunt4ever good to see the lake you checked had ice that supported you walking on it. may the weather stay cold so lake builds more ice over next few days. Good to read you sold some of the minnows. May you have better results next time out chasing the pheasants.
Iceassin welcome back good that you have found a boat and sock system which resolved you cold feet problem. have a good Thanksgiving and best to you this ice fishing season.
May everyone have a good start to the week and find everything you need for the thanksgiving meal if you have not already gone shopping. take care keep safe stay healthy. best to all fishing and hunting.
  Steve

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #463 on: Nov 21, 2022, 04:37 AM »

Good morning Steve, ER's,
                            It's 14* and mostly cloudy here on my hill. ::)
                            Wally.........Congratu lations to Mr. WW for a nice buck. :thumbsup: :flex: I'm glad you made the right choice coming home early
                 and beating the band of snow, we got it here and it was a whiteout for awhile. :o
                            Eddie.........Happy Belated Birthday to Landon. :clap: I hope your sons got out and had better luck. ???
                            H2l............I'm glad that the deer activity has picked up over in your spot, hopefully the deer will cooperate and come from the right
                  direction so you can get a shot. ::) How was the bowling last night? ???
                            Marv..........Maybe the cribbage board got in to the wood stove by mistake. :roflmao: I haven't gone through all the past post, did
                  you finally hook with Big Ben? ???
                            Steve........Congratul ations for your team making it to the Championships. :thumbsup:
                            Fish..........Seeing that ice is making me jealous, I can't wait for things to start freezing up around here. :whistle: If these temperatures
                  hold up it won't be long. :blink:
                           OG............I'm glad you got out for a little while, the bite will pick up. :flex:
                           I-45..........Happy anniversary to you and your wife. :thumbsup:
                           Zcm..........There is nothing worse than cold toes, have you tried boot warmers or heated socks? ???
                           Back to my adventures in hunting camp, It was warm 45* when I got to camp on Thursday. Friday and Saturday it rained, Sunday the
                 weather changed and it started to snow around 3 pm. Monday we woke to a foot of snow. The road where our camp is doesn't get plowed
                 unless they are logging near by, it was 20 miles to the closet plowed road. I nth snow we found a lot of deer tracks, the guy that I hunt with
                 and I went to one of our spots we tracked fresh deer track but it was fruitless because the wind was ib their favor. I tried making a circle to
                 cut them off, but they were just to quick for me, traveling it the snow was slow going. It was basically the same everyday after that. Wednesday
                 we had another foot of snow, it stared about 8:30am whiteout conditions just made it hard to see anything. Thursday it was sunny but the wind
                 was blowing 35 mph swirling our scent all overb the place, I left Friday morning because I had to work on Saturday.
                          I hope everyone has a good Monday either at work or out. Stay Safe and Healthy

IW

Clear cut, this area had Spruce trees a year ago.

The road to our camp, I was the first to travel on it.

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #464 on: Nov 21, 2022, 05:14 AM »
Morning all, 26° and breezy here.

Just finishing up some coffee and fixing to go try to get a couple hours of my first ever Nov ice time in IL in this morning. The weather is turning today. It's supposed to be mid 40s by this afternoon, and in the 50s the rest of the week, so the bit of ice we have will be gone pretty soon.

I doubt I'll catch much where I am going, but the ice is solid enough to walk, so I'm taking advantage just to say I did it. Even if I go through, I'm not gonna die, most of that is knee deep back in there with a max depth of maybe 4 feet.  :P The river is pretty low right now, so it may not even be that deep back in there at the moment.

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #465 on: Nov 21, 2022, 06:11 AM »
16* and clear.

IW, that kind of snow would have ended my season. Sounds like you had a good time. Between the cold and the snow I think the deer are starting to move off the hills.

My nephew got home from CO. yesterday, will go up today and get the stories. I do know that they got 5 mule deer and 1 elk.

The drive to and from bowling was fun, on the way down nothing had been done and on the home it wasn't much better. We took 1 of 4 points last night. We were giving them 19 pins in handicap and they won 2 games by less than that. I bowled the best I have in 3 weeks, even had a 180 game.

No hunting this morning. The wife is feeling some what better. She WANTS solid food, chicken broth, tea and popsicle's aren't cutting it. She did have dry toast yesterday.

Hope everyone has a good day and be well.....h2l

Eddie, I see some ice on the edges yesterday.
Northville, NY

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #466 on: Nov 21, 2022, 06:31 AM »
Good morning IW, Z! Good morning everyone :bow:

25 degrees climbing to 30 later today. The next 7 days are guessed to be warmer with a couple 40's by Wednesday and Thursday. Most of the lakes around me are open so it will be a while before I will be able to get Shamu out.

mr.clean...Buy a new cribbage board ???  :roflmao: I predict before she does the old one will resurface. My sister and b-i-l still haven't gotten any Covid symptoms so they are hoping it was just a reminder.

IW...Thanks for the pictures and recap of your hunt. Looked and sounded like some challenging conditions. Nice to have you back. I never did catch up to Ben.

Z...Best of luck on the ice :thumbsup:

h2l...Congratulations on the 180 game :thumbsup:

Eddie...Looking forward to any reports from your boys hunting adventures :thumbsup:

45...How many years have you been married ??? Hope you had a good time out.

Fish...Tell us about your crow hunting. One of my early years passion was crow hunting.

WW...Any baking going on?

My wife has a few errands for us to do today, otherwise just hanging out.

Hope you all have a good Monday :thumbsup: Best of luck to everyone hunting :thumbsup:

Stay safe and keep healthy.

WS

Offline wallyworld

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #467 on: Nov 21, 2022, 06:40 AM »
Morning all,

IW.....thanks for sharing your Maine adventure, sounds challenging to say the least  :whistle:

IF45.....happy anniversary wishes to you both  :thumbsup:

H2L....hungry is always a good sign  ;)

WS.....fingers crossed the lakes have time to freeze before any big snow storms arrive  ;)2

Eddie....bet the old crew will be happy to see you arrive  :woot:

Looks like 6" or so of snow, most of which came after dark, warmer drier weather for the rest of the week  :thumbsup:

Have a good day. Stay safe, stay healthy.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #468 on: Nov 21, 2022, 07:46 AM »

Good morning ER's yesterday it took 4 stops just to get bait; but when I did I also found new old stock mora blades 4 in. and 5 in. for 13.00 ea. if anyone wants me to get them I can

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #469 on: Nov 21, 2022, 11:39 AM »
Well for me crow hunting is just when I am out and about and when they fly over I try and kill a couple. Driving to another spot some flew over in range so I jumped out and shot one, just to make sure I can still shoot the shotgun since I missed all the pheasants so far. Then when I was walking down another spot some more flew over and I shot one twice and he flew quite aways before going down. Then I figured I better Dave some shells for the birds I was actually after. Just got done cutting up the rest of one semi load of logs and the wife and kids and mother in law split for a bit, got some wood for a few more weeks. Well better get back and see what else I can get done before lunch and then maybe check the truck out and see if I can figure out why it starts most the time and then yesterday the batteries acted dead. Well better get to it. Have a great Monday everyone.

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #470 on: Nov 21, 2022, 04:04 PM »

Adirondack buck down...h2l

Northville, NY

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #471 on: Nov 21, 2022, 04:16 PM »

Adirondack buck down...h2l

Nice one!!!
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #472 on: Nov 21, 2022, 04:17 PM »
h2l - very nice!  :thumbsup:

I didn't catch anything this morning, but I've been living back down here since 2006 and this was the only time I've been on the ice in November. I got off it as soon as the sun got over the treetops, though... could feel it getting mushy. It was almost 50° earlier, and it's  supposed to be in the mid-50s the next few days, so the ice will be gone soon.

Of course, after only seeing "A" deer in an entire 3 day weekend of hunting, I flushed out 7 walking from the parking lot back to the ice this morning. 2 more came up on me while I was fishing and just watched for a bit. 🤦‍♂️

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #473 on: Nov 21, 2022, 04:17 PM »
h2l, that is one nice buck!!!!  :thumbsup: :clap: :flex: :bow: :woot:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #474 on: Nov 21, 2022, 04:22 PM »
That’s just awesome Doug..  Congratulations buddy.
 All that hard work paid off..
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #475 on: Nov 21, 2022, 05:11 PM »
Congratulations h2l! :clap: :clap: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

What a dandy!

WS

Offline wallyworld

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #476 on: Nov 21, 2022, 07:06 PM »
Congrats H2L  :thumbsup: :flex: :clap: :bow: :thumbsup:

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #477 on: Nov 21, 2022, 07:49 PM »
Well, here's the story.
Left the jeep at about 2pm, got about 50yds from where I set and see 2 does walking toward me. I stop and they stop and we look at each other until one of them blows at me. They go to my left and out of sight. I get set down, wait about 5 minutes and give a couple soft grunts on the grunt tube. Less than 5 minutes I see horns coming toward me. I will be honest, I didn't have any idea how big he was, I saw horns and knew I was going to shoot, if I got a shot. He kept walking and when he got to where the does had gone he followed. This allowed me about a 35 to 40 yard shot. He kicked and stumbled and ran off into the brush. I then ate my apple, waited about 15 minutes, when to where I had shot and one spot of blood, no hair. I went out to my nephew's and we went back with the side by side. He got on the track and less than 50 yards into the woods he was piled up next to a blow down. From where I shot and where we found him only 3 spots of blood. I have to thank my nephew, he dressed it out, he dragged out to the ATV trail and to be honest I think he was exited as I was. While we were making out the tag my brother came up the trail. He had been out behind his house cleaning up some of his watches and saw my jeep and the side by side gone. Dad must be smiling tonight.

Oh, I always carry an apple with me and will only eat it after I shoot, it makes me give the deer time. Plus when I come out of the woods the first thing I say is "I ate my apple".

Northville, NY

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #478 on: Nov 21, 2022, 08:04 PM »
Good evening, having issues with my computer using default internet and I'm bad about staying on top of updates so not able to get to some websites or have problems once on them son limited on seeing local news. Those of you who have been posting to or following this thread for a few years may remember my posting about Egg Bert a talking egg that is part of a local businesses Christmas display. Annual article today in local newspaper about the display and some history on Egg Bert He was built at Cornell University in the 1930's to help promote the egg industry appeared at one world's fair. In 1971 a Mr.Devitt purchased Egbert from Cornell and made him part of the Christmas on the farm display at the Agway store he owned the family also had a landscape supply business. Agway is no more but the landscape supply business is still going strong with a new owner. The display which was free at one time has grow to cover ten acres of the business's 25 acre property . Now cost adults 15 dollars to view children under a certain age are still free. Egg Bert is now a holiday tradition for many families in my area there is a line of merchandise with his image. A local brewery also makes a seasonal Angry Egg Bert IPA. Egg Bert also now has a talking female egg friend Egg Claire story is that she is also from Cornell and from the same time period. Both of them are pals with Santa so they ask children what they would like for Christmas and promise to pass this onto Santa. A side note to all of this a member of the Devitt family was or still is one of Ice  Wander's part time neighbors.
ice Wander thank you for the photos quite the adventure this hunting trip I see you must travel the so called "Golden Roads to reach the camp. Congrats to you and your buddies for hunting in those conditions. glad you were able to get out and made it home safely. best wished for those who may still be hunting hope all can get home when their hunts end.
Hunts2long congratulations on your buck .Nice to see all the hours you have put in hunting pay off now you can have venison with the thanksgiving turkey.  Also my congratulations to your nephew and his hunting buddies though I'm sure they all wish it was 5 elk and 1 mule deer harvested during the hunt.
Zcm-82 glad you are now able to say you ice fished during November in your area of IL.  After the coming warm spell may things cool down again so you can get back out ice fishing. Best wished for you in the remaining days of the rifle deer season.
Whopper stopper good to read your sister and BIL are showing no symptoms are being exposed to the Covid-19 virus. Still smart of them to isolated for a few days may they get to spend Thanksgiving with their family.  When do plan on discovering the lost cribbage board assume  the last day of your wife's vacation.
Wallyworld happy nicer weather is in the extended forecast for your area and that you did not see  the majority of lake effect snow storms. Assume you are gathering baking supplies so your ready when time comes to bake for the fire departments annual holiday party.
Old goat I have gone through similar experience trying to get bait during early ice or after extended warm spells during the winter. shops do not want to get caught with a lot of bait no one is coming into purchase.
Fish/hunt4ever may you get the truck issue figured out and it not be a costly repair. Nice that you had help processing the firewood. May you brief crow hunting help in getting a pheasant.
OldSailor/Raquettedacker may all be good with you gentlemen and your families.

may everyone kepp safe and healthy. best to all fishing and hunting.
 Steve

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #479 on: Nov 21, 2022, 08:10 PM »
Awesome story h2l...

Thanks for sharing :clap: :clap: :clap:

WS

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.