Author Topic: The New 9:45 Thread..  (Read 212448 times)

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: The New 9:45 Thread..
« Reply #90 on: Oct 18, 2022, 05:22 AM »
Morning all, 31° and breezy here. Temp is still dropping off, it's supposed to be upper 20s by sunrise. Had our first few snowflakes yesterday evening. Not enough to stick to anything, but they were the first of the season ❄️

Masoneddie - it has been all shotgun or muzzleloader here since they reopened firearm deer hunting in the 60s. Rifles hadn't been legal for deer here since 1901. Deer hunting was closed altogether in IL from 1901 until the late 50s when they had reopened archery season. There were actually no deer in the area I'm living until the late 60s and hunting them was closed until the late 70s. They had seen it as a safety issue since it is so flat and open over most of the state, but with modern shotgun sabots, they shoot as flat or flatter than most straight wall rifle cartridges, so the state amazingly had a fit of good sense and opened it up. I think a good part of it was probably because all the states around us had already done it in the past 10-15 years. We were pretty much the last of the no rifle for deer hunting holdouts in the midwest. I'm just glad it finally happened, because I hate shooting sabots. They kick like a mule, and they are expensive.

This is a view from my deer stand, pancake flat and pretty much wide open. Trees are a fairly rare commodity here except in towns and along rivers or creeks.

IW & mr.clean - thanks, I'm picking it up today. Hoping to do some shooting, but it's pretty dang windy, so I may have to wait a day or two for the weather to settle down.

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #91 on: Oct 18, 2022, 05:45 AM »
Man what a day, Kitty bolted out the door, and have not seen it since this morning.  Then about an hour ago got a call from not one but too, fishing friends that a long time fishing buddy Daris McKinnon had passed away.  What a shock, age 56, as he had moved from Colorado to Texhoma, OK.  And earlier this year we had talked of he and another friend,  coming here to fish Cats in Lake Chickamauga.  Cat fishing was a priority for him, and even held the state of Colorado channel Cat record.  He will be truly missed.

RIP dear Friend.

Sorry for the loss of your friend Bud….
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Steidyj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #92 on: Oct 18, 2022, 08:59 AM »
Morning All,

IFF, sorry you lost your friend and fishing buddy. Sounds like a well accomplished fisherman with many fish tales to keep his memory alive.

TT, I hope your wife finds some treatment that works better for her pain.

ZCM, that is an impressive line of sight from that blind, where I have hunted I am lucky to have a shootable lane 75-150 yards! Always get some good exercise walking the lanes and clearing them out each year.

WS, I didn't know they made a saw with a handle! My family just got a new Stihl with a 26" blade and man does it scream. Cuts like butter compared to the 30+ yr old 18" Stihl that my pops got when he was my age, perfect limbing saw.

Thanks for all the well wishes hiking, it was a really magical time in The Wilds of PA. The colors back east are impressive, but are normally broken up by houses or farmlands, out west it was continuous colors on every mountain.
That 30-30 is a fun gun to use for drives as it has a tunnel mount for the scope, so I can use it close or have the scope set to 3-5 power and have a zoom if they are further. Love the lever action as well. Two Xmas ago got a 6.5CM and man that thing is fun to shoot, less cowboy and more sharp shooter. Thats what I take into the stand most of the time now, but its no where near the gun the 30-30 is. All synthetic and no character to it. Getting below freezing for a couple of nights this week, really going to have me chomping at the bit for the ice to grow.

Jake

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #93 on: Oct 18, 2022, 09:08 AM »
Jake, welcome to the morning club.

First hunt of the year is in the books, no deer, but nice to be back in the woods. The underbrush is very thick yet, don't think I could see more than 40/50 yards. Lots of squirrels this year. Some one hit a small doe with a car and left it right where I park.

Have a good day and be well....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #94 on: Oct 18, 2022, 09:09 AM »
The problem is getting them in shotgun range. I'm very grateful to have a place to hunt, because land access is a bear around here, but it is not primo hunting ground. There is a thin treeline right along the property line, and a lot of the deer I do see are on the other side of it  :-\

There's nothing to really hold them, so they just pass through, most of the time well out of range. If the fields aren't all knocked out before season begins, I usually see absolutely zilch. I've actually shot a lot more coyotes out of that box stand during deer season than deer.  :roflmao: I get lucky once in a blue moon, though.

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #95 on: Oct 18, 2022, 11:07 AM »
Good morning

Z and here I sit with 5 boxes of 375 big bore Winchester ammo and no rifle since the 70’s

No kitty 🐈‍⬛ sightings so far.  Wind is shaking a lot of leaf’s out of the trees. Need to make sure to put weather stripping on my shopping list.

Electric furnace has been running non-stop since last evening. Weather station says outdoor temperature sitting at 46 now.  Might take a stroll to nearby wooded area, been wanting to do that for some time

Stay safe all
Bud

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #96 on: Oct 18, 2022, 11:40 AM »
IFF - you could turn those for a tidy profit now. Winchester only makes a run of the ammo once every few years, and it not cheap. I have an old box from when I got a bunch of 375 brass way back when, and the price tag on it is $10.99

A 375 has been on my want list since I was in my teens. I've had the brass and dies for 15+ years. I was gonna buy one back then and the seller backed out on me. Kind of on the back burner since that until this new legalization of straight walls happened.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #97 on: Oct 18, 2022, 09:25 PM »
 Good evening reading 50 degrees on my balcony thermometer. It was a sunny day with blue sky and a few clouds. Congratulations to the NY. Yankees and their fans for advancing to next round of playoffs. I still have trouble  calling the Cleveland team Guardians.
Ice wanderer may the morning fog have cleared quickly to give you better sight lines for hunting this morning.
Eddie think we all enjoy the colors of fall but can do without all the leaf clean up . I have to check and see when and if the weather out Tomturkey and Whopper Stopper's way is headed to my area of NY.
Hunts2long glad you had a nice time in the woods .next trip may you see some deer and your aim be true if you take a shot at one. I hope someone could make use of the road killed der besides local  coyote population.
Wallyworld may the two of you be relaxing after another good day on the water.
Whopper Stopper did not know they made chainsaws with a heated handle option. may all have gone well with todays tree work . Good to read the property owner was happy you came back and removed the tree limb.
Zcm-82 thank you for the history of deer hunting in Illinois . May you have received the new rifle and get to sight it in this week.
Raquettedacker may you have the greenhouse work completed so you can spend some time in the woods pursuing deer with your muzzle loader.
Steidyj good to read you had a nice trip to the national forest . Best to you with this year's deer hunting.
IFF sorry to hear your kitty is still missing. You may want to have your furnace check to see if it is running properly may also be a problem with the thermosstat.

have a good night stay safe keep healthy. best to all fishing and hunting.
 Steve

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #98 on: Oct 19, 2022, 03:55 AM »
Good morning everyone :bow:

22 degrees, light winds at 2mph may squeak out a 46 by mid afternoon. Looks like another warm up coming by the weekend.

Yesterdays tree job was a little intense due to the dang wind. I had to put a ropes in all the trees and pull them with my truck. Luckily there were plenty of anchor points from different trees to rig pulley blocks for pulling. I believe there were 10 dead oaks of which I needed to climb 4, the rest could be splashed. The fella I was working for was a pretty good hand at 87 and was very interested in what I was doing. He said he had cut trees and made firewood for over 65 years but never like I did it. By the time I left he had learned 3 knots, and had me order him a 120' of tree rope and a pulley block. The best part is I am now closed for the season.

First thing this morning I have to go in for blood work. The new Dr ordered a bunch of different tests, hope I have enough juice to cover them all ???

I will check in later to see what everyone has going on.

Hope you all have a good day :thumbsup: Best of luck to those on the water or in the woods :thumbsup:

Stay safe and keep healthy.

WS

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #99 on: Oct 19, 2022, 04:40 AM »

Good morning Marv, ER's,
                         It's 29* and clear here on my hill. The weather guessers said we might have a hard freeze in our area this morning. It's our
               first frost on my hill. ::)
                         Bud........I hope your kitty comes back soon. :thumbsup: An electric furnace must be expensive to run. :o Maybe Brandon had it put in. :%$#!: :roflmao:
                         Marv.......Good job getting the tree work done. :flex: Now it's time to go after Big Ben. :thumbsup:
                         Eddie......After hunting in the morning, I did leaf clean up again. There are still a lot of leaves left on the branches here. :whistle:
                         Zcm.......That's a nice view, too bad that the deer run on the other side of the hedge row. :%$#!:
                         Steve.....I use to be a big baseball fan and a Yankee fan to boot, but I kind of lost interest in back when it was mostly a pitchers duel. :blink:
                         Steadyj..Welcome to the 9:45 thread. Sounds like a nice trip. :thumbsup:
                         Wally......I hope you and Mr. WW had another banner day on the water? ???
                         Well yesterday i wsn't as fortunate to see any movement in the woods. The morning fog hung around for a couple of hours. I did hear leaves
               rustling but that could have been a squirrel, they can make a lot of noise. I'll try again this morning.
                         I hope everyone has a good Wednesday, Hump Day either at work or out. Stay Safe and Healthy.

IW

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #100 on: Oct 19, 2022, 04:47 AM »
Good Morning Marv, Jeff, Morning Everyone,
  37* and fairly calm this am, high of 43 forecasted.

Marv…best wishes with the blood work this morning!  :bow:  Glad the tree job went well and you had the opportunity to share and enjoy your work skills with the older gent…who says you can’t teach an old dog new tricks, awesome job!  :clap: :thumbsup:
  Jeff/H2…hope any leaves you fellas hear crumbling this morning are from the hoofs of a slammer Adirondack buck! Best of luck with todays hunting guys!   :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Must be the day for Dr.’s appointments today…have a few of them scheduled for this week starting today at 7:30. Just a quick hello and will try catching up later on today…Cawfee’s on!
  Have a great day all, be safe, best of luck to those fishing/hunting!

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #101 on: Oct 19, 2022, 04:51 AM »
31* and clear.

IW, same here, lots of leaves still on the underbrush. A good hard freeze is needed to knock down the upper leaves. I don't think I could see 40 yards where I sat yesterday.

A friend of my nephew's hit a doe late Sat. found it Sunday Am. Something had chewed the tail off and that was it. I'm guessing fisher.

WS, good luck with the blood work.

Hope everyone has a good day and be well.....h2l
Northville, NY

Offline wallyworld

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #102 on: Oct 19, 2022, 06:28 AM »
Morning all,

WS/Eddie......best wishes for good reports from your doctors  ;)2

IW/H2L.....good luck in the woods  :flex:

IFF.....sorry to hear no kitty sightings yet  :'(

MrC.....looks like some summer temps this weekend  @)

Steidyj.....glad you had a fun trip  :clap:

Another great day yesterday despite the wind that wasn't supposed to be (dang weatherman :%$#!: )  had to change up our program a bit but still managed our limit of eyes

Have a good day. Stay safe, stay healthy.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #103 on: Oct 19, 2022, 08:28 AM »

Good morning ER's hope all are well. WS nice story on the last job. I was up in the jungle a couple times luckily it was late and mellow as far as traffic was light. Bud sorry to read about your buddy who passed away and your cat taking off. The fall colors thread has some awsome pics on it. I remember wanting it colder well it has been in 20's a few times already Cooler would have been better choice. My daughters next trip will be to Cancun. Have a nice day all.

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #104 on: Oct 19, 2022, 09:42 AM »
Good Morning ER's  Well kitty was sighted on the trail cam. I don't know how I got it to work, now the mystery is how to work with editing, and or piecing them together. Anyway this morning Linda was successful at getting him to come to her for some kitty treats, So now he's warming up on my shoulder.

Bud

Offline zcm_82

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #105 on: Oct 19, 2022, 09:45 AM »
That's good news  :thumbsup:

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #106 on: Oct 19, 2022, 10:16 AM »
Another great job WW👍👍

Bud glad the cat was found..
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline wallyworld

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #107 on: Oct 19, 2022, 01:43 PM »
IFF…..that’s great news!!!!

Offline IFF

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #108 on: Oct 19, 2022, 02:04 PM »
Well now It just may be I know enough to be dangerous

Bud

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #109 on: Oct 19, 2022, 06:47 PM »
Last couple of days have been busy at work and off of work, helped my buddy get onx on his phone, then came home and cut up more elk. Then dropped the head off at my dad's to get a euro done and will put the cow head on a plaque with the bullet that was stuck in the skin. Then came home and cut the rest if the elk up. Today got home and put the tires on the camper that needed done after blowing one on the way up last time. My coworker had CPR the other day as well so shortest day was 8.5 hours the longest so far is 11, and today was 9 after he went home for 1/2 of a sick day and then on vacation the rest of the week. Friday we head back to the mountain to see if we can find 3 more elk for us and one for my dad. Horses will be there to pack so that might make it easier if we can get the horses to them.  Well have a great evening everyone and a great night. Thought the colors on the trees out the door was good in the light.

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #110 on: Oct 19, 2022, 09:35 PM »
 Good evening, should see first hard frost of the fall overnight. So that may result in some more color change in my area.
Ice Wanderer May this morning's weather have been better for hunting and you seen some deer. I also do not follow baseball that closely anymore  .
Eddie may all of your Doctor appointments have gone well today and any reports contain good news.
Hunts2long congratulations to your nephew's friend on his deer glad he was able to track down the animal and not much damage to it from other wildlife.
Wallyworld congratulations to both of you on catching daily limits. The walleye bite has been going strong these past few weeks.
Old goat best wished to your daughter whenever she makes her trip to Cancun. I hope all is good with you and the family.
IFF good to read you found your cat hopefully you can keep him inside the house.
Fish/hunt4ever may you still have energy left by this weekend for the elk hunting . Best wished for all of you in filling your tags may any elk killed be in areas accessible to the horses. so packing out is easier for you.

Keep safe,stay healthy. best to all fishing and hunting.
 Steve

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #111 on: Oct 19, 2022, 10:01 PM »
Still not home from vacation yet.
Had a mechanical failure 40 miles East of Watson Lake Yukon Saturday night.
Flagged down a trucker and they let the RCMP know.
They came and gave me a lift back to town and I got set up with a hotel room. I've been here since.
The ole Honda let me down when it broke a valve spring and dropped a valve. Engine is toast and no used ones available West of Ontario so ended up buying a 2006 Ford Ranger 4x4 Sport to drive until the new truck I ordered in the summer gets in.
Finally got everything taken care of and I leave for home in the morning.

Offline ICE WANDERER

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Looking for ice
« Reply #112 on: Oct 20, 2022, 04:24 AM »

Good morning ER's,
                     It's 37* and clear here on my hill. ::)
                     Dave.........I'm sorry to hear about the engine failure, but at least you found another truck to get home in. :thumbsup:
                     Wally.........Damn you two are on fire with the Eyes, great job. :thumbsup: :clap: :bow:
                     H2l............I'm glad that your nephew found the deer and minimal damage was done. :flex:
                     Eddie.........I hope your Dr. appointment went well. :unsure:
                     Bud...........Do you think your cat has been hiding under the trailer, there is a piece of the skirting that he could squeeze through. ???
             I'm glad he's back. :clap:
                     Marv..........When are you headed back to "The Shack" to wait for Big Ben? ???
                     Fish...........You have been busy, hopefully you will get 3 more this weekend. :flex:
                     OG............I hope your daughter has a good trip to Cancun. :thumbsup:
                     Steve........May the colder weather brighten your leaf colors and get them to come off the trees. :whistle:
                     Not much in the way of movement in the woods yesterday morning. I don't know what happened to all the deer that I've seen all summer.
             I'm going out again this morning.
                     I hope everyone has a good Thursday either at work or out. Stay Safe and Healthy.

IW

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #113 on: Oct 20, 2022, 04:29 AM »
Dave, that's a major bummer!!  :%$#!: I hope you get your new truck sooner rather than later!!! Let us know about your trip when things settle down!!! :thumbsup:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #114 on: Oct 20, 2022, 04:51 AM »
42*, they are saying WINDY today.

WW, WOW, another great day on the water.

IFF, glad that KITTY is back home.

I had heard that a bear cub was hit by a car up in Benson on Sunday. Talked to my brother last night, one of the 3 cubs was either separated from it mother or was sick. It was across the road from my nephew's, DEC was called, they put it in one of his dog crates and took it to a re-Haber.

Saw a deer, or at least parts, of one yesterday morning. Watched it for over 5 minutes. Saw tail and ear twitch, saw a nose, saw some legs but not much of its head or body. Wind was right but it blew at me before disappearing.

Hope everyone has a good day and be well....h2l

Northville, NY

Offline masoneddie

• Team IceShantyholic
  • lay bricks or go fishing...doh!!
« Reply #115 on: Oct 20, 2022, 05:15 AM »
Good Morning Everyone,
  Breezy and clear 38* to start the day, high of 50 or so today.

Dave…dang, sorry to read about your setback with the ole Honda breaking down! Glad you were able to get some help from the trucker and get back safely to town. Thoughts and prayers will be with you today for safe travels back home Sir, thank you for the update… :thumbsup:
  Bud…great news on the kitty reunion!!  :clap: :thumbsup:
  Wally…another banner walleye trip for Team WW, congratulations to you and Mr.WW!!  Thanks for sharing the pictures and may the luck continue before the boat gets put up for the winter!!  :bow: :thumbsup: :clap:
  H2/Jeff…thanks for your reports today, best of luck with today’s hunting and hopefully a clear shooting lane present’s itself…we’ll be standing by with fingers crossed!   :thumbsup:
  Steve..that hard frost will surely get things looking more like Fall soon.  :thumbsup:  How are things going at the store, seeing any shortages on certain items?
  FH4…you’ve been having a busy week! Glad you’re all caught up on the elk, best wishes to everyone with this weekend’s trip and filling their tags!!  :clap: :thumbsup:
  Marv…hope your appointment went well yesterday!  :thumbsup:  Ready for another round with Big Ben??
  OG…dropping down into the 20’s will take some getting use to this early in the season!  :woot:  Best wishes to your daughter with her upcoming trip!  :thumbsup:
  Steidy…glad you had a safe and fun trip, thanks for sharing it here!   :clap: :thumbsup:

Yesterday’s appointment went quickly, had to have another CT scan done that I will discussing with the Dr. this afternoon among a few other things that will be soon to follow unfortunately.
  Going to give the lawn another blast with the blower this morning and try to stay ahead of the leaf chores before they get out of hand, lol.   Cawfee’s  on…
  Have a great day all, be safe, best of luck to those fishing/hunting! 

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #116 on: Oct 20, 2022, 05:52 AM »
Good morning everyone :bow:

32 degrees heading into the 50's by mid day.

Dave...Safe travels hope the rest of your return trip is uneventful :thumbsup:

IW/h2l...Best of luck today. Hope you each can get a whack at one :thumbsup:

WW... :clap: :clap: :clap: Team WW is on fire!!

Eddie...Best wished for this afternoons Dr. visit :thumbsup: The leaves never end so it seems :cookoo:

I have a Dentist appointment first thing this morning for a cleaning. I have one other errand to take care of then I am coming home and will start packing for the shack. If all goes well I will be in my stand by Saturday afternoon. I need to give my leaves a good blow so will probably work that into the day. The forecast into next week is wet, windy, and warm ??? Hopefully I will be able to get some stand time in and not a bunch of trips to the laundromat to use the dyers :%$#!:

My blood work came back yesterday looking almost good. I need to go back in a month to have my sodium level checked again as it's low ???

Hope everyone has a good day :thumbsup: Stay safe and keep healthy.

WS

Offline wallyworld

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #117 on: Oct 20, 2022, 06:26 AM »
Morning all,

Drifter.....sorry to hear about your vehicle problems, safe travels from here on out  ;)

WS......guess you need to eat more pretzels/chips  :woot: 

IW/H2L......hope today's the day  ;)

FH4......good luck this weekend  @)

Eddie.....lost lots of leaves yesterday, today's looking windy again  ::)

Another cool dreary fall day today then some nice warm weather for the next 4 or 5 days  :thumbsup:  Leaf cleaning on tap in the next day or so, shouldn't be too many more times with all the wind taking care of things   :flex:

Have a good day. Stay safe, stay healthy.

Offline icefisher-45

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #118 on: Oct 20, 2022, 08:06 AM »
Good Morning Everyone, 38* here and sunny. Just a quick hello this morning. Taking Mr Dickens to the vet for his yearly physical and blood work. Will post later. Hope everyone has a great day.
Take a kid ice fishing

Offline mr.clean

• Team IceShantyholic
  • new windsor,ny.
« Reply #119 on: Oct 20, 2022, 10:02 PM »
Good evening, I think my area escaped the hard frost over night did not see any signs of frost on grassy surfaces. Currently in the low forties so maybe tonight will be our first hard frost.  Like other parts of the U.S. gas prices creeping up here now averaging $3.45- $3.55 per gallon 87 octane . Thank you OPEC .
Drifter sorry to hear you faithful Honda finally had a major break down. Good you were able to flag down a trucker who could get in touch with the RCMP. May the Ford Ranger provide reliable transportation until your new truck arrives . I know Ford and the other U.S. auto makers have trucks stockpiled in various locations while they await delivery of parrts needed to complete construction of the vehicles. May you be close to or at you home in yellow knife. I see you decided to bring the camper back with you from Alaska.
Ice wanderer it was windy here today so some tree tops are now bare and leaves building up on the ground. In a few weeks the view from my apartment windows will have increased as the tree all loose their leaves. Funny how the deer change their patterns right around hunting season.
Hunts2long thank you for sharing the bear cub story. may the cub survive and be released back into the wild. I hope you saw more activity during today's hunting.
Eddie may the CT scan not show any major change in your health. I'm seeing shortage of bread and paper goods depending on what time of day i do my shopping.
Whopper Stopper have a safe trip to the shack. may the weather turn out better then forecast and you not need to spend time at the laundromat .
wallyworld guess another round of leaf clean up will be on your agenda. best to Mr. WW if he goes out hunting.
Icefisher-45 may Mr.Dickens physical and blood work both come back with good news.

Have a good night.
 Steve

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.