Author Topic: What are your Goals this coming Season?  (Read 5693 times)

Offline Kilsdonk

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Drill It Till It Squirts
Re: What are your Goals this coming Season?
« Reply #60 on: Nov 18, 2022, 09:17 AM »
I always try to take at least one person ice fishing for there first time every season.
“Anyone can be a fisherman in May.”
― Ernest Hemingway
"Im surrounded by Ice holes"
:icefish:

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #61 on: Nov 18, 2022, 09:48 AM »
Hit some local spots, instead of the 175 mile drive, try getting some kitties this year, and find a fishing partner who can be on time for once and not consistently hours late with a different excuse every time.  ::)

There's only 3 guys I usually fish with (not together) and we all know the rules...."The train leaves at X and if you're not on it..."  :whistle: Same as if I ask someone if they wanna go fishing and they ask "How long are we going to be"?...Never mind.  ::)
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Tukeiam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #62 on: Nov 18, 2022, 03:51 PM »
More ice camping for sure!  Used to try to rent camps around northern Maine.  There are plenty of them but costly and not always where I wanted to be.  Started ice camping with several other buddies two years ago, will never look back!  Got the big Eskimo insulated shack, clear the snow, lay down a blue tarp screw it down, put up the popup, screw it down and then lay down the puzzle piece floor. We use a big buddy heater.  We also run a CO detector for an extra level of safety.  We've been out in -25deg weather twice.  No problem as long as you get out of the wind, plenty warm.  It allowed us to hit some remote lakes that would have been tough otherwise. nothing like waking up in the spot you want to fish.  Setup the traps, make a cup of coffee and breakfast anytime after watching the sun rise!!     
Tuke!

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hunt the Best, Hunt a Brittany! RIP Otto
« Reply #63 on: Nov 18, 2022, 04:10 PM »
1. To go alone more often. I only have gone alone a few times and it was fine. Rather have some company, but it never seems to work out for the few people that I fish with.
2. To explore some different areas of Oneida Lake. I’ve only gone off the south shore but would like to try some different areas from the north side.
3. To go up to Chaumont Bay at least 2x this year.  I haven’t been for 4 years and I miss it.

Offline MontanaFisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #64 on: Nov 18, 2022, 04:21 PM »
Go a whole season without falling on my a**

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #65 on: Nov 18, 2022, 05:44 PM »
I used to fish with others all the time, shifted over to mainly solo a few years ago. Gives me more flexibility, and the peace and quiet is way better than I initially imagined. Maybe I'm just getting more antisocial with age  ::)

I hear you Phil. I am becoming more antisocial by the year, but also more mellow. I do a lot of solo ice fishing, sometimes by choice and sometimes because others don't show up. My biggest pike have been caught when ice fishing alone, 30+ minutes after I stop making the noise that happens when drilling holes. The big pike are driven away by noises happening on the ice, drilling holes, definitely any snowmobile or ATV running, and even people talking. Big  fish did not get that way from being careless.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #66 on: Nov 18, 2022, 06:10 PM »
Finding that one great fishing buddy that ya get along well with, and each knows what the other likes and is going to do, is priceless. My last buddy was like that, until he was made into upper management and now has to live at work almost 24/7, or has to be on his cell phone fielding issues around the clock.   >:(
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FreshwaterPhil.com - Montreal fishing
« Reply #67 on: Nov 19, 2022, 04:44 PM »
I hear you Phil. I am becoming more antisocial by the year, but also more mellow. I do a lot of solo ice fishing, sometimes by choice and sometimes because others don't show up. My biggest pike have been caught when ice fishing alone, 30+ minutes after I stop making the noise that happens when drilling holes. The big pike are driven away by noises happening on the ice, drilling holes, definitely any snowmobile or ATV running, and even people talking. Big  fish did not get that way from being careless.

Not just ice fishing. Been doing a lot of float tubing on remote lakes in open water. Pretty much had entire lakes and rivers to myself for most of the outings, just me, my thoughts and the fish. Got to the point where I rarely invite anyone else along.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #68 on: Nov 19, 2022, 05:47 PM »
Not just ice fishing. Been doing a lot of float tubing on remote lakes in open water. Pretty much had entire lakes and rivers to myself for most of the outings, just me, my thoughts and the fish. Got to the point where I rarely invite anyone else along.

I think that's becoming more and more common. Too much social site garbage, and all the hyped up news crap we're inundated and pounded with daily. If I was physically able to go by myself again, I'd be doing it in a heartbeat, but unfortunately that's never gonna be again.
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #69 on: Nov 19, 2022, 05:54 PM »
There's only 3 guys I usually fish with (not together) and we all know the rules...."The train leaves at X and if you're not on it..."  :whistle: Same as if I ask someone if they wanna go fishing and they ask "How long are we going to be"?...Never mind.  ::)
I was ice fishing with a buddy about 2 pm while 70 miles from home when he told me his wife wanted him home by 4 pm. Another time in summer he sprung it on me that his wife wanted him home by 6 pm. Yup, leave before the good bite starts. I hope his wife started fishing since I haven't had him fishing with me for years.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline DaleL57

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #70 on: Nov 19, 2022, 10:07 PM »
Had a fishing buddy for years.
Used to go for 1 week every year on a trip for years.
He just got married for the third time.
She now fishes with him.
Was told she offered better benefits than me.
Anyone wants to go to Devil’s Lake in February, I’m going solo.

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FreshwaterPhil.com - Montreal fishing
« Reply #71 on: Nov 20, 2022, 08:36 AM »
Too much social site garbage, and all the hyped up news crap we're inundated and pounded with daily.

I've been off social media for over 3 months now. Just a big waste of time, and way too much crap going on. Still doing Youtube, bt less than before as well.

Offline FilletShow

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Nov 23, 2022, 05:02 PM »
To do more lake trout fishing.  Only a couple lakes have them near me, and the deep lakes they live in freeze late.  Only get about 6 weekends to get after them.  That, and just fishing more than last year.

Fs

Offline porkpiehat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Nov 23, 2022, 07:22 PM »
a) buy less gear
b) keep stuff more organized
c) lose less gear
 ;D

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #74 on: Nov 24, 2022, 12:27 AM »
I'm just excited to get out there. It has been a few years since I've been this excited for the ice season. I did not get to do very much summer fishing due to a shoulder injury which required surgery.

Over the past few years I've been downsizing all of my gear. I had built up and up to the point I was dragging out 200# of gear which was not very fun unless I either had glare ice or a snowmobile. So then I had to trailer a snowmobile, yank it off since it doesn't have reverse, unload all the gear, and from there it was good. It was too much. I went first to a flip over house, which I hated. I then tried a smaller pop up, which was ok, but it was useless for two people. I then ditched it altogether and have been happy since. I don't do overnights on the ice anymore, so a house doesn't offer me much of anything. It can be nice on the really nasty days, but I have yet to have a good day fishing on such days. I also got sick of dragging around my boat anchor of an auger, the Eskimo Mako. It runs like mad, but it's such crazy overkill I can't hardly justify the weight. It would be great with a 10" auger, but I don't need one that big. I'd rather drill two 6" side by side. Anytime I spear I use a saw. I started using my Uncles old Mora auger when he unfortunately died from cancer. It is a real old one, the handle is permanent, it does not have a bolt like a new one. It is a 7" which is a great compromise for me. 6" is about perfect for panfish. 8" is about perfect for pike. 7" is a good middle road.

Anyway, my goal this year is to continue on that trend. As much as I love that Mora auger for what it is, I'd rather have something more compact, and I'm also told a Mora isn't that great an auger. With new blades I had no issues ripping 20 holds in 24" of ice, but if something better exists I'll try it. This year I bought a Nils combo auger, which folds in half. It also comes ready for electric drill use which I'm not a fan of. I've tried them, they have their place, but they aren't for my uses. Instead I have a Tanaka powerhead I've been meaning to put to use. I can fab an adapter easy enough. It's a nice little powerhead, no idea on displacement but it's 1/2 the weight of the Eskimo. That's no joke. My Eskimo head and auger together are about 36 pounds. My Tanaka is right around 8.5 pounds. I don't know what the Nils weighs yet but the internet claims 10-12 pounds. That's a huge weight savings, and most of the time I intend on running it as a hand auger anyway.

I've also gone away from big tip ups, instead I've gone to Firehouse fold up made in USA tip ups. I've got all my gear in my Jet sled. I still use an Engle 7.5qt bait cooler, nothing better has come on the market yet. My final project this year is to build a mount for the back half of my Jet sled so I can mount a swivel and boat seat to it. I'm currently using a folding chair which fits inside when folded, but I don't like how far back in the sled I sit. I'd rather have a frame over the top, plus it would allow more storage underneath.
-Tom

Offline Kilsdonk

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Drill It Till It Squirts
« Reply #75 on: Dec 02, 2022, 11:03 AM »
Go a whole season without falling on my a**
;D Right?!
“Anyone can be a fisherman in May.”
― Ernest Hemingway
"Im surrounded by Ice holes"
:icefish:

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #76 on: Dec 02, 2022, 02:27 PM »
Finding that one great fishing buddy that ya get along well with, and each knows what the other likes and is going to do, is priceless. My last buddy was like that, until he was made into upper management and now has to live at work almost 24/7, or has to be on his cell phone fielding issues around the clock.   >:(

I am very lucky to have 4 great fishing (and hunting) buddies............... ...my sons.

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Dec 02, 2022, 02:33 PM »
Same here. At 66 and not getting younger. Used to be a squatter on the ice. Can't do it anymore. Knees won't have it. Devised this thing. Keeps me upright and mobile. Hope it works.
https://postimg.cc/2VFDwBNX
I am the same 66 and bad knees, can't take the cold much any more either. I live rural and only live 10 minutes from my main lake, retired now and bought this last year so this and a heater gets me out pretty well when ever I want now.

Offline Toothhunter

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #78 on: Dec 19, 2022, 09:23 PM »
40” northern…landed a 35” in my pelican this summer but have had my eye on 40” for a looong time. 

Outside of that-getting on ice ASAP and spending time with my father, brother, and uncle doing what we love to do. 

Hope everyone accomplishes some goals this season.  Stay safe/tight lines.

Offline Chip17

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #79 on: Dec 19, 2022, 09:24 PM »
First pike!

Offline badbrad2186

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #80 on: Dec 19, 2022, 09:27 PM »
Limit out everyday I fish
If you sit around all day and do nothing your a bum, but if you sit in a boat all day or in a shanty and do nothing they call you a fisherman

Offline Hooking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Dec 19, 2022, 09:50 PM »
1. Use at least 5% of the gear I just bought from Pure Fishing
2. Bring my two elementary-aged kids out at least once but as much as possible if we get a deep season
3. Catch a pike with them

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.