The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Spring smelt dipping  (Read 2289 times)

Offline MaineOutdoors93

• IceShanty Rookie
Spring smelt dipping
« on: Mar 29, 2022, 06:39 AM »
Hey all! New to the page here but have used it before and had lots of helpful information. I’m a youngin at 28 and just trying to get more involved with the traditions of Maine!

Would love some help dipping anywhere I’m willing to travel! I’m in the Brunswick area and have some ideas where to go.. but anyone willing to help a guy out? Willing to trade some clams for some helpful information 🤑

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
Re: Spring smelt dipping
« Reply #1 on: Mar 29, 2022, 08:22 AM »
Hey all! New to the page here but have used it before and had lots of helpful information. I’m a youngin at 28 and just trying to get more involved with the traditions of Maine!

Would love some help dipping anywhere I’m willing to travel! I’m in the Brunswick area and have some ideas where to go.. but anyone willing to help a guy out? Willing to trade some clams for some helpful information 🤑
Probably a few weeks yet for the sea smelt run. Mid- late april we were getting a few here in Downeast.
Some clamming useful Info... DO NOT have oatmeal for breakfast if you'll be clamming late afternoon that day.  ;D :thumbsup:
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline joefishmore

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Mar 29, 2022, 11:40 AM »
Fresh water or saltwater smelts ?  Not sure that it is legal to net saltwater smelts in southern Maine ?

Offline hookngal

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 29, 2022, 12:22 PM »
Probably within the next week or two , the freshwater smelts
should start running in Southern Maine.

Offline MaineOutdoors93

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 29, 2022, 09:09 PM »
Fresh water or saltwater smelts ?  Not sure that it is legal to net saltwater smelts in southern Maine ?

Yes I am aware no dipping sea smelts in the southern zone. Looking for freshwater sorry should have been more specific.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #5 on: Mar 30, 2022, 05:36 AM »
Can you still hook and line them in S. Maine? Can you anchor in places where shacks usually set up?
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline 9huskies

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 30, 2022, 01:12 PM »
From Kittery to Owls Head you are only allowed to catch smelt through the ice. No ice = no smelt fishing.

Offline Brian VT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Apr 07, 2022, 08:08 AM »

I saw some dipping going on at Sabbathday yesterday. I didn't have time to stop and ask how they were doing.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.