The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ice off  (Read 3116 times)

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Ice off
« on: Feb 07, 2022, 09:01 PM »
Anyone guess when the ice will be bad enough this year that we cannot get on the ice. Looking at the long term forecast I say another month before it gets bad around the Riverton area of the state.

Offline Wyoming_Ice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing God's Country "Big Wounderful Wyoming"
Re: Ice off
« Reply #1 on: Feb 07, 2022, 09:22 PM »
I try not to think about.it... :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:
RIP "LT"   This place just won't be the same...

Offline huntinfool18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2022, 10:36 AM »
Hopefully soon, I got a new boat to break In

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2022, 10:42 AM »
I am torn about it, still want to ice fish, but have done really well out of the boat after ice off the last couple years, as long as the W does not happen all spring. Next year might be breaking in a new boat and then selling mine depends on if I can get one in with everything in the time frame that works best.

Good luck breaking in the new boat always a fun time.

Offline lippy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2022, 11:45 AM »
Hopefully 2 more months!!!

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2022, 10:08 PM »
I’ll be surprised if we don’t have ice off in March. Least amount of ice I’ve seen in years at Keyhole for February. Last time we had a winter like this we were on the water like the 15th of March.  Same year ice off in late February on Glendo. Back in the 90’s

I’d always rather fish in the boat!
In the memory of "Team Lighting" Fish ON!
No one ever says,"Man that fish tastes small.
Thank you Lord for thinkin bout me. I'm alive and doin fine!!!!!!

Offline waterlike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2022, 10:29 PM »
I was on Glendo today, and with weather predictions for the next two weeks and how soft some of the ice was today, I'd say bookmakers would put glendo at 50/50 to have no ice by March 1st.

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Feb 11, 2022, 09:12 AM »
Heck yeah get rid of that crap! ;D.

Only reason I ice fish is 'cause the water is frozen-
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 11, 2022, 09:56 AM »
Heck yeah get rid of that crap! ;D.

Only reason I ice fish is 'cause the water is frozen-

Same!

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 12, 2022, 08:10 PM »
Ocean lake by me has some open spots if we keep getting the warm wind I would say 2 weeks and then open unless we get a cold snap. This might be the shortest season I have seen in a long time around here.

Offline waterlike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Feb 15, 2022, 03:33 PM »
Pro Tip... if you want something to happen, pronounce the opposite on a social forum.  What was two days ago a 50 degree week predicted for next week is now what looks like a major freeze.  Gonna get down to -8 at glendo monday night..and stay below freezing for 6 days..which im not sure it has done all season.  Looks like the cold snap is gonna hit the whole state and more.

Offline glenwyo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 15, 2022, 04:51 PM »
One of the best weather resources I found is Day Weather. The website is http://www.dayweather.com The meteorologist is Don Day out of Cheyenne and he gives a very detailed and excellent 6-10 minute forecast Monday through Friday. Very good at explaining, via lots of weather maps, how our short term and long term weather is effected by systems from the Arctic, Pacific, La Niña, etc.

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 15, 2022, 07:15 PM »
Yeah if the weather prediction stays the same might be ice for a couple more weeks but have to wait and see what the 50 degree weather does before hand, snowing now and cold but supposed to be 47 by friday.

Offline Dorado

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 18, 2022, 02:42 PM »
I wouldn’t put away the ice fishing gear just yet!  Negatives and single digits the next week+ (after Sunday).  -20 forecast for  Pinedale, maybe it will freeze up the big hole out on Fremont.  Crazy cause there is 14”+ of clear ice everywhere else….

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 21, 2022, 07:11 PM »
Well with today the ice should be building again maybe even close up some of the open spots that have opened up so going to have to be careful and check as you go if you have not been out in awhile. Might be closer to the end of March to get the boat out now.

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 22, 2022, 07:24 AM »
Well it was -4 to -6 around Riverton to boysen this morning seen -13 around hells half acre and -11 in casper just the wind was horrible with snow here and there so might be making some more ice with the ice covered areas and the open water spots might have some ice waves in the making.

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 02, 2022, 01:56 PM »
2 days of 60 degrees the ice might not last, but cool down for the weekend. See the river here in town opening on the edges a bit so signs of spring showing a bit.

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Mar 11, 2022, 05:54 PM »
Well the spring roller coaster is still going a few days of negative temps with no highs above freezing to highs in the 60's again next week, with the snow might be some water running everywhere for a bit.

Offline glenwyo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Mar 13, 2022, 07:26 PM »
I haven't checked any of the smaller reservoirs around the Big Horn basin area in the past two weeks. I would imagine that after these warm days this week that their won't be safe ice or you won't be able to get onto the ice because of shorelines opening up. I try to go to Meadowlark in the Big Horns once or twice for late season ice fishing as that ice stays around for awhile.

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Mar 14, 2022, 01:48 PM »
Well looks like one lake around here is opening up and might be fully open by this weekend, maybe will get some pictures out of the boat one of these days.

Offline glenwyo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Mar 23, 2022, 09:44 PM »
Heard Ocean is now ice-free. I was driving by Boysen yesterday and it was still probably 90% ice-covered. With temps in the low 70's Saturday through Monday, that ice is going to melt fast. I was still on the ice at Lower Sunshine today.

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Mar 24, 2022, 04:52 PM »
Had the boat on ocean last Sunday there was still some ice in the bays but not much, with the wind today all that should be gone, just filled the boat with gas before it jumps again the prices are getting out of hand, wish they would get more barrels out of the ground around here and get rid of the green energy bills from let's go Brandon cam. Just my vent for the big bill today.

Offline appleye

• Iceshanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Mar 25, 2022, 09:48 AM »
KH is starting to open up a few more days. The price of gas is out of control. Make a guy wonder if it worth even trying to do tournaments this summer the cost easily doubled now.

Offline glenwyo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Mar 25, 2022, 10:10 AM »
Yes, crazy about the price of gas and then the price of ethanol-free 91 octane for the boat! Glad I got some real good deals on Amazon on some good 2-stroke oil for my Mercury Optimax as I can see the price of all oil products rapidly rising in price. I'll be fishing a lot more locally for sure this open water season.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.