Author Topic: Drill died after just three holes.  (Read 2570 times)

Offline thefishfeeder

• IceShanty Rookie
Drill died after just three holes.
« on: Jan 20, 2022, 01:15 PM »
Came out this morning is was 2deg. Got to a area and drilled one hole, moved on and drilled 2 more. Like that spot and stayed a couple hours.  Then moved to another place and drilled a hole and barely got through 8in of ice. Milwaukee m18 with 5amp battery. Never had a issue before. Did the cold zap my battery that fast? Will it hurt the batterys life letting it get that cold. Left it out side while fishing. Total time was about 2 1/2 . hours on ice. Should note brushless.

Offline regulator

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Drill died after just three holes.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 20, 2022, 01:26 PM »
I have a Kobalt 24V Brushless w/ a 2 amp hour battery, el cheapo. Took it out Sunday at 0 degrees, and it crapped out after 2 holes. I had left it on the drill in my truck the night before and figured it would be o.k. Cold definitely saps them. I have a Strikemaster Lazer 6" hand augur that I use with my drill set-up, but always take the manual handle with me to switch out to if needed.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 20, 2022, 01:30 PM »
My Milwaukee 5.0s sat in the rig all night at around 10 below Saturday night, Sunday morning (still 10 below) they were not to happy about punching holes... 10 minutes in an inner pocket to warm up and they were fine again for the rest of the day.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Hatandboots

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 20, 2022, 01:37 PM »
My electric auger gets unhappy if I leave it outside the shack for awhile. Lithium batteries need to be not frozen to use.

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 20, 2022, 01:44 PM »
My Milwaukee 5.0s sat in the rig all night at around 10 below Saturday night, Sunday morning (still 10 below) they were not to happy about punching holes... 10 minutes in an inner pocket to warm up and they were fine again for the rest of the day.
Same EXACT conditions for me.
Even drilled 4 holes with an insanely dull bit before I changed the blades.. still had a full charge the next morning

"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2022, 01:50 PM »
Best solution for me is a spare battery in an insulated lunch bag with a disposable hand warmer…but you probably already know that! ;D
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2022, 01:53 PM »
Same EXACT conditions for me.
Even drilled 4 holes with an insanely dull bit before I changed the blades.. still had a full charge the next morning

Identical drills too. I should have just tossed them up on the dash to keep warm by the defroster for the ride... But yeah, after warming up they showed 4 bars all day. Should probably toss em on the charger before the weekend just the same lol
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline thefishfeeder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2022, 06:15 PM »
Yea, I had a second battery with me. I did put it in a pocket and after a while it showed bars. Was just surprised it went dead like that
 I'll know tomorrow.

Offline jjxx84

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 21, 2022, 07:11 AM »
I've got a ridgid octane with 9amp battery.  I've left it outside in the cold while fishing and have never had a problem with it dying.  Just bought a Milwaukee m18 with the 2 5amp battery.  Sucks to hear about the battery problems.

Offline E Z turn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 21, 2022, 08:19 AM »
Very little problems with my M18 and 4 amp batteries and the cold .
Oops! is too late.

Offline Doeslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 21, 2022, 08:24 AM »
I used a Milwaukee m18 not the fuel the 500lb torque one.... Yesterday.... Drilled 9 holes through 7 inches of ice with a 1.5 ah batter but i have it on the clam plate with gearbox.... Left it out of the shack and it barely cut the 10th hole... No batteries like cold lithium or otherwise
Catch and release, into the grease!
"gotta be somebody needs some killin" ~ Major Payne

Offline guthook1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 21, 2022, 08:43 AM »
Wonder how the below 0 weather will affect the electric vehicles. both sitting and traveling if they are left out all night and are not plugged in.

Offline guthook1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 21, 2022, 08:43 AM »
Wonder how the below 0 weather will affect the electric vehicles. both sitting and traveling if they are left out all night and are not plugged in.

Offline chukkrok

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 21, 2022, 02:40 PM »
Fresh batteries, are key.....keeping them warm also key!

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 21, 2022, 03:00 PM »
Like the post below, I use a Ridgid Octane with 9AH battery. I leave it hung on the sled all day, and in the truck all night. I have never had a slow/dead battery. I can drill 30+ holes and come home with 3 bars.
I do know that:

Lithium batteries age, and as they do, they peak current goes down.

Lithium batteries produce less voltage and current in the cold.

Larger batteries, in addition to holding more total Amp-Hours, have a higher current capacity, because the have more banks of cells in parallel.

You may be suffering from one of more of these factors adding up to reduce your current below what you need to produce the required torque. I had a phone that always died in the cold, replaced the battery, and it was fine.

Offline thefishfeeder

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Nov 19, 2022, 08:51 AM »
Wanted to update this, should have last year. Was only there another day and didn't use that battery again and put on charger when i got home It was a newer one of three battery's . Would not take and hold a charge. Other battery's I use on the ice were and are fine still but that one died. So I'll be cautious of letting battery's get that cold again. Will start using a cooler with hot hands in with them.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #16 on: Nov 19, 2022, 10:05 AM »
I would advise taking that battery where you got it and see if you can get it replaced!! :%$#!: :whistle:
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline Almi57

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Nov 19, 2022, 11:21 AM »
I have heard of batteries sort of going dead like that and there is a way to jump start them. If you Google it you will find some videos. It involves taking a good battery and the bad and jumper the two together. The Battery Management System is stopping the battery from taking a charge and this some how fools the BMS into charging.

Offline markinohio

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 23, 2022, 11:46 AM »
I’ve had drill batteries “die” while being left outside on the ice too long. In extreme temps or If I know that I’m going to be there for a while, I will pull the battery and store in the shack.

When the battery is too cold to cut a hole, if you run the drill without trying to cut (spin the auger above the ice), after a few tries the battery usually warms enough to actually cut holes with the drill.

Offline FishingFredrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Nov 23, 2022, 12:11 PM »
In my area, the ice is rarely over 2' so I prefer the simplicity and reliability of my Rantanen hand auger (NILS). Cuts like a knife through butter.
Luck is only a small part of it.

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Nov 23, 2022, 02:03 PM »
In my area, the ice is rarely over 2' so I prefer the simplicity and reliability of my Rantanen hand auger (NILS). Cuts like a knife through butter.
X2, that nils is a beast.  I’m an auger junky and my wife hates it, lol.  Nils is just tough to beat.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #21 on: Nov 23, 2022, 03:03 PM »
I have one 4ah Ryobi that was junk from the start. Will not hold a charge. Use it for emergencies only. Sometimes it bees like that.
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline badger132

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Nov 24, 2022, 05:30 PM »
Lithium batteries can produce only so much current. That max current drops a lot when it gets cold. There are 3 ways to increase the current your battery can provide, so that when you pull the trigger, there is enough there to meet demand:

1: Fully charged is best- as the charger goes down, the current capacity is reduced.

2: Warmer is better: Keep it in your pocket, with a hand warmer as was suggested below.

3: Bigger is better: The large capacity batteries have more cells in parallel, and the current of parallel cells adds to increase it's maximum current, as well as the amount of energy (or number of holes) You will notice that people with the 9AH Ridgid batteries rarely complain of problems, regardless of conditions.

There are also newer, better technology cells, and of course, the behavior you observe is affected by the electronics in the battery pack and in the tool. You will notice that when they die, they die suddenly- that is the electronics protecting the cells from damage. The 3 factors above will help you manage the drill you have as best you can.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.