Author Topic: Ridgid drill help  (Read 15258 times)

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Ridgid drill help
« Reply #90 on: Jan 11, 2018, 06:49 AM »
Wrong speed for sure. Also the Ridgid has a Torque Setting from 0-100. Looks like it is on 70-75. Oh and he is in screw mode. I guess he does put it in drill mode later. But this guy really needs more sleep, he is totally half asleep.
<===Lefty===

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #91 on: Jan 11, 2018, 07:07 AM »
I also think he may have a drill with a battery connection problem. That can make it cut out also.

My first time out with my refurbished DeWalt 995 ...Clam Plate...8in Kdrill ..my drill shut down after 3 holes(7" ice)
 ...I then noticed the Ubolt knob fasteners were had become loose ..tighten back up ...worked fine ..yesterday ...little thicker ice(10" ice)...had similar issues ..tightened Ubolt again..not as loose as first time ..was good for a hole or two ...then I notice that the battery had some play..after removing the battery and reinstalling it with some more force it was fine ...kicked across this video looking for a remedy.

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #92 on: Jan 12, 2018, 12:57 PM »
Took out the Drill and fished today. Drilled perfect even opening an old hole although it hung up a little. It never Shut off. I am running it on 60 for torque and #1 setting. 2" a second easily.  Oh I caught  17 Crappie, 1 Trout,1 Perch and 1 Pike. 23.5" Pike. A lot of 9.5- 9.75" Crappie.

<===Lefty===

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #93 on: Jan 12, 2018, 01:05 PM »
Took out the Drill and fished today. Drilled perfect even opening an old hole although it hung up a little. It never Shut off. I am running it on 60 for torque and #1 setting. 2" a second easily.  Oh I caught  17 Crappie, 1 Trout,1 Perch and 1 Pike. 23.5" Pike. A lot of 9.5- 9.75" Crappie.

Nice work!

In drill mode, the torque setting makes no difference..

Are you running your set up in drive mode, or drill mode?

<°)))>{

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #94 on: Jan 12, 2018, 01:17 PM »
There are 3 settings. Hammer, Drive and Drill. Drill mode is what I use. And you are correct the torque adjustment doesn't work except in Drive mode. So I guess I adjusted it for no apparent reason.  I am pretty new to this but I am trying to read the instructions.
<===Lefty===

Offline boder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #95 on: Jan 13, 2018, 02:24 PM »
No problems today with Nils 8” through 5” of ice.  Ran both batteries and left one sit out in the cold for an hour before drilling with it and it still preformed great. 

More testing will have to be done but wife and kids make it difficult. 

Offline Charman03

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #96 on: Jan 13, 2018, 02:55 PM »
My rigid has been running fine lately. Only had problems on those really cold days with the ice freezing on the auger and perhaps battery getting cold

Offline walleyeboater

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #97 on: Jan 13, 2018, 04:09 PM »
I bought my Gen 5 drill Jan 5th. The owners manual states the batteries can operate in temps to -4f.
The formula for any brand of drill = high speed/low torque.
The ring around the chuck sets the speed. Mine is on 60.  70-80 is better than 20-30.
Torque switch on top of drill, needs to be on 1.

Hope this helps.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #98 on: Jan 13, 2018, 04:46 PM »
Mine ran great again today.
<===Lefty===

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #99 on: Jan 13, 2018, 05:25 PM »
I have a gen5 brushless with a 2amp battery and run a 6inch nils.

This has happened to me with cold batteries. Like -8 cold.

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline boder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #100 on: Jan 13, 2018, 05:39 PM »
I bought my Gen 5 drill Jan 5th. The owners manual states the batteries can operate in temps to -4f.
The formula for any brand of drill = high speed/low torque.
The ring around the chuck sets the speed. Mine is on 60.  70-80 is better than 20-30.
Torque switch on top of drill, needs to be on 1.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Had not heard that about the torque ring before.  Mine was set at 80 today because that’s what I used to drive some screws the night before. Last time I had problems the torque ring was set on 100 and 0. 

Offline walleyeboater

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #101 on: Jan 13, 2018, 06:51 PM »
Btw, I'm running a 6" Nils on a clam plate.
4 amp hr battery.

Offline Charman03

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #102 on: Feb 14, 2018, 06:28 PM »
So it's been awhile, how has everyone's rigids been running

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #103 on: Feb 14, 2018, 08:27 PM »
I have over 350 holes drilled and have no complaints other that the one day I had heavy snow about a foot on top the ice. It shut off a few times but once I figured out to shovel the snow off first it did great. SO yea heavy wet snow will bog it down. Just bring your shovel.
<===Lefty===

Offline shermanpup

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #104 on: Feb 15, 2018, 07:23 AM »
I need some help with my brand new drill setup.

I am running a brand new ridgid gen5 brushless compact hammer drill with an 8” Nils attached with kovac ice master. The problem I am having is that the drill keeps cutting out on me when I am drilling. It will drill for a second or two then stop. Wait a little bit press trigger again then drill again only to stop seconds later.  When the drill spins it cuts great. 

I started out with new battery that I kept in my coat pocket till I got to my spot.  The drill was on the auger not protected from the elements. It is 25*f right now.  Drill set up was on drill and 1 as thst got me the best preformace. 

Anybody ever have any issues like this before? Advice? Thanks.
I had the same problem and found out that I had the settings wrong. Put the switch on #1 and drill mode selected ,crank the torque to its max (past 100 ). Make sure to clear the hole of snow while drilling . This worked for me. If it is set to #2 there are safety features that will stop the drill and then you have to remove and reinstall the battery . The 2AH batteries are fine for 6" of ice or even more , just don't put a lot of down force on it . A 4AH battery allows you to drill more holes it really doesn't make the drill more powerful .All this is info I got from my regional Rigid service dealer.I am using a 6" auger ,I am sure the 8" puts a bigger strain on the drill.

Offline Laker 11

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #105 on: Feb 15, 2018, 07:47 AM »
My Ridgid just started doing the same as the first poster. Batteries are charged and warm, I think the battery is loose were it slides in.  Jiggle the battery or take it back out and it drills again. I haven't had time to try a strap or cord. I hope I can manage this!!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #106 on: Feb 15, 2018, 08:34 AM »
You don't have to remove the battery just let up on the trigger and then go again. It is in the manual that if the battery gets hot it shuts down and releasing the trigger resets it. I don't mean let up on it I mean release it completely.
<===Lefty===

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #107 on: Feb 15, 2018, 08:59 AM »
My Ridgid just started doing the same as the first poster. Batteries are charged and warm, I think the battery is loose were it slides in.  Jiggle the battery or take it back out and it drills again. I haven't had time to try a strap or cord. I hope I can manage this!!

so it had been working fine and now it is not?
if so it is under warranty for three years and lifetime if you filled out the lsa.

right now there is a lot of water on lakes and that puts a bigger load on augers. try lifting so it isn't biting as much wet ice and see how it does. if it still is acting up, then i would take it to an authorized small service center.
dull blades make it worse.

Offline schie03

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #108 on: Feb 15, 2018, 09:54 AM »
I ended up returning my rigid last week thanks to the Home Depot 90 day return policy.  A few buddies of mine all have the fuel and seem to out drill me.  You can definitely tell the difference in power.  The batteries for the Milwaukee are lasting a lot longer too, granted the Milwaukee came with 2 5amp ones instead of 4 amp, and it ended up being cheaper since it was on sale for $250 just no free tool.  Worth the return in my book. 

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live to fish not fishin to live!!!
« Reply #109 on: Feb 15, 2018, 11:32 AM »
Two decent seasons now of fishing/drilling twice a day still going strong. Nils blade could use a touch up but that can wait until ice out.

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #110 on: Jan 09, 2019, 09:24 PM »
Solution...Ridgid Octane Brushless with 9amphr

Offline SLAYERFISH

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #111 on: Jan 10, 2019, 08:22 AM »
Thanks for the fast responses guys.  I am out on the lake with it now. 

The drill is a 4ah and it is rated for 700lbs torque. Only two bars left on battery now but I will try some of the things you guys suggested. 

I will add that once the drill cuts out a few seconds goes by before it will drill again and that time seems intermittent. Also there is a little slop in the ice master connection.

700 in/lb is not enough to turn an 8".
Love Me or Hate Me-
All Metal all the Time!

luv2fish2

« Reply #112 on: Jan 10, 2019, 08:45 AM »
I have a 2604 Milwaukee ( 750 in lbs) i run a 8" kdrill and haven't had a problem in 3 years with 4ah batteries but this year i got 12ah woo hoo

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #113 on: Jan 10, 2019, 08:54 AM »
700 in/lb is not enough to turn an 8".

This is not true.  I have been running the gen x5 with an 8" Mora for 3 years with no problems at all.  Before that, I used a ridgid 556(?) in/lbs with the same auger for 5 years with no problem.  All of these drills have plenty of torque.
 Sharp blades and large batteries are what matters.  I just picked up 2 9ah batteries for my gen x5 and it works awesome!  I will be buying the 1300 octane next year for my 10" shaver and have no doubt that the drill will turn it just fine.  I already use the 556 for my 6" mora and the gen x5 for my 8".  Next year I will have all 3 sizes with their own drills. 

Online slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #114 on: Jan 10, 2019, 05:22 PM »
So one thing I'm curious as to why we don't use an impact driver?  It's seems that they have like 2,000 inches/lb of torque.  Are they too slow?
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #115 on: Jan 10, 2019, 05:54 PM »
Seriously look at the new ridged octane...1300lbs and one heck of a deal if you buy it from HD online...basically get the drill for free if you buy a charger and a new 9 amphr battery= no brainer!
I have heard that the impact driver would not allow the blades to cut well and would destroy a clam plate...this is not my opinion or experience, just from what I have heard

Offline smitty

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #116 on: Jan 23, 2019, 10:11 AM »
Seriously look at the new ridged octane...1300lbs and one heck of a deal if you buy it from HD online...basically get the drill for free if you buy a charger and a new 9 amphr battery= no brainer!
I have heard that the impact driver would not allow the blades to cut well and would destroy a clam plate...this is not my opinion or experience, just from what I have heard
Just ordered "free drill" with purchase of 9amphr battery and charger... great deal

Thanks smitty :tipup:

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #117 on: Jan 23, 2019, 06:56 PM »
So one thing I'm curious as to why we don't use an impact driver?  It's seems that they have like 2,000 inches/lb of torque.  Are they too slow?

Having ice auger blades you need a nice steady drilling for the blades to cut. If you started having the "impact" mode occuring with the blades smashing against the ice to cut it would damage the edge pretty quick. Which would dull them and cause them not to cut. You'd also risk possible damage to the blade mounts/cutting head getting bent or out of wack due to the impacting. Same reason nobody runs the drill in hammer mode.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.