Author Topic: Ridgid drill help  (Read 15256 times)

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
Re: Ridgid drill help
« Reply #60 on: Jan 09, 2018, 09:36 PM »
they will return any tool they sold for up to 90 days even if you registered them. no problem with that. they do drill ice very well, if you use the right bit for the job and tool. just like any other drilling task you may have.
and then there is this.
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=351027.0

also folks getting snubbed by milwaukee for repairs under warranty.
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=353216.0

best of luck.

I wouldnt call it getting snubbed when you aren’t the original owner of an Item.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #61 on: Jan 09, 2018, 10:23 PM »
I wouldnt call it getting snubbed when you aren’t the original owner of an Item.
stripernut's son is the original owner. and was snubbed big time by the manufacturer.
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=353216.msg3770016#msg3770016

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=353216.msg3770456#msg3770456

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live to fish not fishin to live!!!
« Reply #62 on: Jan 10, 2018, 08:14 AM »
I must be one of the lucky ones also. I run a gen5 brushless on a clam plate with an 8” nills. Thickest ice we have seen so far with it was only 11” but it goes through it like a hot knife in butter. If you have your settings correct then You have a defect for sure in your set up. I would guess the drill is bad. Wish there was a way to test them.

Offline Charman03

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Jan 10, 2018, 09:49 AM »
I must be one of the lucky ones also. I run a gen5 brushless on a clam plate with an 8” nills. Thickest ice we have seen so far with it was only 11” but it goes through it like a hot knife in butter. If you have your settings correct then You have a defect for sure in your set up. I would guess the drill is bad. Wish there was a way to test them.

Has your drill ever cut out for a few seconds when drilling?  What batteries?

Offline schie03

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #64 on: Jan 10, 2018, 10:09 AM »
I'm running a new Rigid GenX 5 brushless with 4Ahr batteries and a new 6" kdrill and had the combo out last night for the first time and had the same problem.  Only on a handful of holes though, and drilled around 50 through 10-12" of Ice. Thought it was weird it only did it in some of the holes but when it cut out it would cut out twice per hole. 

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #65 on: Jan 10, 2018, 10:23 AM »
I'm running a new Rigid GenX 5 brushless with 4Ahr batteries and a new 6" kdrill and had the combo out last night for the first time and had the same problem.  Only on a handful of holes though, and drilled around 50 through 10-12" of Ice. Thought it was weird it only did it in some of the holes but when it cut out it would cut out twice per hole.
Is there a chance you were drilling a little crooked in those holes? Just trying to narrow down this problem.
<===Lefty===

Offline schie03

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Jan 10, 2018, 10:37 AM »
It is possible, if so it wasn't very noticeable, and I kinda thought about that after the fact.  I am gonna give it another go this weekend and try to ensure I'm as straight as possible to see if that changes anything.  After all its a 90 day return policy and if it does it any more I'll switch to the fuel.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #67 on: Jan 10, 2018, 10:42 AM »
I am going out either tomorrow or Friday and test mine on an angle. I bought a bubble level to put on it so I know if it is straight or not.
<===Lefty===

Offline schie03

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #68 on: Jan 10, 2018, 10:46 AM »
Level is a good idea!  Let me know how it does at an angle since you'll be out before me if you would?  I'll be in the blind Thursday thru Saturday then back on the ice.

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #69 on: Jan 10, 2018, 12:15 PM »
Only time mine cut out was my fault. Battery came loose. Just checked. I’m using the 5amp battery.

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #70 on: Jan 10, 2018, 12:19 PM »
If you are already in low speed high torque mode, then it is a load issue. Too much load and the drill's safety will stop it from working rather than harm the drill. You do know that 8 inches is a lot of load. 16/9 more than a 6 inch hole.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #71 on: Jan 10, 2018, 12:28 PM »
If you are already in low speed high torque mode, then it is a load issue. Too much load and the drill's safety will stop it from working rather than harm the drill. You do know that 8 inches is a lot of load. 16/9 more than a 6 inch hole.
I have been running mine at 60 out of 100 on the torque selection. I may change that now that I am using the drills handle.  I will test mine out pretty good in the next day or so.
<===Lefty===

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #72 on: Jan 10, 2018, 12:32 PM »
I’ll test mine out tonight with the 4amp just to see if there is a difference. Also note the drill and batteries only get used for ice fishing. They are on their 2nd season. All in all I’d say still new.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #73 on: Jan 10, 2018, 12:38 PM »
I’ll test mine out tonight with the 4amp just to see if there is a difference. Also note the drill and batteries only get used for ice fishing. They are on their 2nd season. All in all I’d say still new.
OH, I thought you just bought the setup this year. Glad to hear you are on your 2nd year with it. SO for the most part it has been doing the job for you huh?
<===Lefty===

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #74 on: Jan 10, 2018, 12:42 PM »
Everything I had hoped for and more. Just waiting for a good old fashion winter to put it to the test. (24” of ice or better).  Been drilling through 11” currently.

Offline Charman03

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Jan 10, 2018, 01:02 PM »
I will continue testing my drill as well. Buddy had no issues today on his outing. At the end of the previous outing it acted up. It's gotta be the frozen ice on the auger or batteries getting too cold.

The issue never arises until later on in the day, even with a fresh battery out on

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #76 on: Jan 10, 2018, 01:02 PM »
Everything I had hoped for and more. Just waiting for a good old fashion winter to put it to the test. (24” of ice or better).  Been drilling through 11” currently.
I usually don't read instructions or anything else when I buy something. I just know when it works it works and if not I get upset.  SO reading the Manual on this drill it say's "Overload Protection."
When the tool is forced or overloaded,the Li-ion battery pack will automatically shut off the tool. To reset the tool ,release the trigger and resume operation. Do not force the tool.

And It also says this same thing under a supplement paper that reads "Battery Protection Features."

Did you by chance try to drill a crooked hole to see what would happen?
<===Lefty===

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #77 on: Jan 10, 2018, 01:21 PM »
Lol I always end up with a crooked hole. That’s why no fish want to come out. My story and I’m sticking to it. Another thing. I have the 8” trecker model of nills. I am currently using the 28” section.

Gen5 rigid brushless with 5amp battery
Clam plate
28” section of blue nills
Red cutting head

Heading out now will do a few tests and get back to ya after dark.

Offline boder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Jan 10, 2018, 01:50 PM »
Just out of curiosity what model number is everyone using.  Mine is R86116

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #79 on: Jan 10, 2018, 02:03 PM »
Same thing here. I really think yours is defective.
<===Lefty===

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Jan 10, 2018, 04:37 PM »
Rigid Brushless 700 in. lb. torque
Rigid Brush motor  780 in. lb. torque
Wonder if that 80lbs makes a difference?
I am chomping at the bit waiting for my 8" nills for my new brushed motor Rigid, to arrive that is backordered to add more to the discussion.

Offline Sawdude

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #81 on: Jan 10, 2018, 09:05 PM »
Mine cuts out if it's on high speed. On low it cuts great  :)

Offline cold nose

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #82 on: Jan 10, 2018, 10:03 PM »
Went out yesterday with the 5amp hour still cutting out ! I have about 30 holes on it ,possible the Nils head is the problem? I have a new spare head i will try that and see what happens. I have model 86116 also

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #83 on: Jan 10, 2018, 10:16 PM »
Went out yesterday with the 5amp hour still cutting out ! I have about 30 holes on it ,possible the Nils head is the problem? I have a new spare head i will try that and see what happens. I have model 86116 also

Watch this video really close...( your answer is within )

<°)))>{

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #84 on: Jan 10, 2018, 10:32 PM »
Although it does look like the Ridgid is cutting out irrelevant to the battery being loose.. But it looks like he is in high speed gear setting...

<°)))>{

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #85 on: Jan 10, 2018, 10:43 PM »
Vinny boborino got his speeds mixed up with the rigid!

Offline Fishslayer3

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish on!!!
« Reply #86 on: Jan 11, 2018, 01:56 AM »

That's the one I am running as well with no issues.

Offline Game Hog

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #87 on: Jan 11, 2018, 04:34 AM »
Did some testing last night. 4amp battery 10”of ice. Drilled a dozen holes. Some even at crazy angels and not one hiccup. Not sure what else I can try until we get thicker ice. Thinking your drill is bad.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #88 on: Jan 11, 2018, 06:22 AM »
Although it does look like the Ridgid is cutting out irrelevant to the battery being loose.. But it looks like he is in high speed gear setting...

<°)))>{
I also think he may have a drill with a battery connection problem. That can make it cut out also.
<===Lefty===

Offline schie03

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #89 on: Jan 11, 2018, 06:39 AM »
Running the R86116. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.