Author Topic: Ridgid drill help  (Read 15260 times)

Offline Fishslayer3

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Fish on!!!
Re: Ridgid drill help
« Reply #30 on: Jan 08, 2018, 10:35 AM »
I'm running a Gen 5X Ridgid hammer drill on a Clam plate to turn an 8in eskimo auger and haven't had any with it issues yet. In fact it blows right through the ice. One thing is to make sure you are running on the slower of the two speeds, more torque that way. Sounds like you may have a battery issue to me. I keep mine in a small soft sided lunch cooler with extra foam around them and a hand warmer when I'm on the ice to keep them warm. Plus they stay inside the house when I'm not fishing. Lithium batteries hate cold. If that doesn't help take it back and get a new one... that's why you have a lifetime warranty!

Offline mnfisher16

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Jan 08, 2018, 03:46 PM »
I am running a ridgid gen5 brushless hammer drill with a 8" lazer and it cuts out all the time. Seems like it can't handle the 8" auger.

Reading all the replies it seems that I'll have to get the milwaukee fuel or downsize my auger to a 6" nils or something...

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Jan 08, 2018, 03:53 PM »
I'm running a Gen 5X Ridgid hammer drill on a Clam plate to turn an 8in eskimo auger and haven't had any with it issues yet. In fact it blows right through the ice.

That's nothing more than a Mora bit with different paint right?

Mora bits are drill friendly...

<°)))>{

Offline Kopower

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 08, 2018, 03:58 PM »
I have the Gen5 with 4ah batteries on a 6" Nils and it shreds through the ice, even with only 2 bars. I leave it outside on cold days and it still works flawlessly.

Like others have stated, wondering if the 8" is too much? I'd like to know because I wanted to buy an 8" Nils. I tried to cut with a 8" K drill, and the Ridged struggled.

Offline boder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 08, 2018, 05:00 PM »
I have the Gen5 with 4ah batteries on a 6" Nils and it shreds through the ice, even with only 2 bars. I leave it outside on cold days and it still works flawlessly.

Like others have stated, wondering if the 8" is too much? I'd like to know because I wanted to buy an 8" Nils. I tried to cut with a 8" K drill, and the Ridged struggled.

Thanks for the info on the 8” kdrill struggling.  Sounds like if we want reliable cut with an 8 mora might be the answer, which is fine becuaee they are cheap and cheaper to sharpen.  There is a good tutorial on DIY mora blade sharpening in the ice auger section.

Moras pop up all the time on Craigslist it seems but there is not a single one near me right now.  I think I have an old one in my parents garage that I might need to look into. 

Offline Charman03

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 08, 2018, 05:46 PM »
Are you using your 6" lazer on a clam plate?  Wonder if these new clam plates could be the issue

Yes new clam plate and 6" lazer. I'm wondering if it's perhaps the lazers.

So I put new blades on for today's outing and it was cutting 10" of ice like nothing. After a few hours it started acting up again. Battery was low so I put a fresh one in and still was cutting out.

My buddy has gen 4 with older clam plate with 4" lazer and his started cutting out as well. First time he's ever had the issue.

I'll test more tomorrow but I'm wondering if it's not ice build up on the auger that's causing it.

Rigid gen 4 on older clam plate with 4" lazer acting up

Rigid gen 5 on new clam plate with 6" lazer brand new blades acting up 2 days in a row after working fine for a few hours each time.

Offline Charman03

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Jan 08, 2018, 05:52 PM »
Wish I had a 6" mora I could run to test it against the lazer. My drill is new. I'm not going to keep it if it doesn't drill. Thing work amazing for awhile then starts cutting out.

Do Milwaukees have cut off issues like this?

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #37 on: Jan 08, 2018, 05:54 PM »
I have the brushless and use the Nero Mini. Hole measures 7 3/8" when done. It cuts fine. I think it is a possibility 8" is too much or your batteries are low. Mine cut out once but I think I was drilling crooked. Still haven't bought a level for it but will.
<===Lefty===

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #38 on: Jan 08, 2018, 07:48 PM »
Wish I had a 6" mora I could run to test it against the lazer. My drill is new. I'm not going to keep it if it doesn't drill. Thing work amazing for awhile then starts cutting out.

Do Milwaukees have cut off issues like this?

All I can tell you is my experiance.....

I researched the heck outta these "drill" setups when they were 1st hitting the market. What I learned was that if you wanted to have a setup that would meet expectations a person needed to get the high quality high tourque brushless drill.

I purchased a clam plate and the go to Milwaukee brushless fuel drill with 725in/lbs. at the time. There was a huge debate at that time if a drill could even turn an 8in auger. So I started with a 6in lazer.....turned no problem.....then went to a 7in Eskimo flat blade......turned no problem.......then got the eBay kit and turned the 7in Eskimo flat blade into a 7in curved blade....turned it but could tell the drill was working......then jumped up to an 8in nils.....turned it easier then a 7in curved blade.

So I ran the Milwaukee fuel with the brushless 725in/lb on a clam plate and 8in nils for about 2 seasons. Then the Milwaukee fuel 1200in/lb came out and I got it to put on the clam plate. This thing doesn't even seemed to be bothered.....Guys on the website are even running a 10in nils with this drill and very happy.

I actually had kept my jiffy model 30 incase the drill setup didn't meet my expectations. I sold the Jiffy this year, and my drill setup does it all.

The only time I had my drill setup give me a little issue was when the setup rode in the back of my truck box for 9hrs to upper red in temps of -30. I pulled it from the box and went to drill and it was really sluggish. Once it got drilling and warmed up it drill fine.

I get people are trying to figure out a cheaper system for these drill setups, but the Milwaukee is pretty proven and does what people want it to. Will there be failures like any setup gas/propane/electric yeah...

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #39 on: Jan 08, 2018, 07:50 PM »
That's nothing more than a Mora bit with different paint right?

Mora bits are drill friendly...

<°)))>{

The Eskimo augers are a replica of the strikemasters......jus t painted red with China blades. Straight blade Eskimo is the mora and the curved blade (silver tip) is the lazer. They will even take strikemaster blades.

Offline Rather-B-Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Jan 08, 2018, 08:22 PM »
would like to contribute , but the Nils auger that I order back in November is still backordered.!
I bought the Gen 5 combo packet from HD, came with 4 - 4 amp batteries, figure  that and the LTW made it worth risk.

Offline ifc202

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Jan 09, 2018, 07:12 AM »
I am having the exact same problem. Bought a Rigid with 650 in. lbs. tourque to go with a 6" Nero. Runs for a couple seconds then quits. Tested in garage with no load and same results. Batteries fully charged tested both and 1 doesn't work at all. Going to return it and exchange. Does anybody know if HD will do an exchange or will I have to go through all the BS of a warranty return? Purchased the drill in December.

Offline mnfisher16

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #42 on: Jan 09, 2018, 07:18 AM »
Home depot will do the return within the 90 days. I just returned my ridgid drill last night because I was having so many issues with it struggling with the 8" lazer auger.

For me it was spending $100 to upgrade to the fuel drill or spending $150 downsizing my auger to the nils 6" and keeping the ridgid risking more issues with it struggling...so I went and returned my ridgid and will get the fuel because I like the 8" more than the 6" hole.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #43 on: Jan 09, 2018, 07:19 AM »
Did you get the warranty LSA online? Or have you registered it yet?
<===Lefty===

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Jan 09, 2018, 08:25 AM »
Home depot will do the return within the 90 days. I just returned my ridgid drill last night because I was having so many issues with it struggling with the 8" lazer auger.

For me it was spending $100 to upgrade to the fuel drill or spending $150 downsizing my auger to the nils 6" and keeping the ridgid risking more issues with it struggling...so I went and returned my ridgid and will get the fuel because I like the 8" more than the 6" hole.

Sounds like a long way around not trying a $20 Mora off Craig's list... Lol

<°)))>{

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Jan 09, 2018, 08:28 AM »
The Eskimo augers are a replica of the strikemasters......jus t painted red with China blades. Straight blade Eskimo is the mora and the curved blade (silver tip) is the lazer. They will even take strikemaster blades.

Thanks for the clarification...

<°)))>{

Offline mnfisher16

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Jan 09, 2018, 08:37 AM »
Sounds like a long way around not trying a $20 Mora off Craig's list... Lol

<°)))>{

yea, I really just want the milwaukee anyways...have a lot of other things I want to use the hammer drill and impact for too.

Offline ifc202

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Jan 09, 2018, 10:01 AM »
I did register and have the LSA. Thing is I don't want a Rigid anymore. Doubt they are built to hold up to ice drilling. I'll either go with a Bosch or Milwaukee. I'll take it back to HD and see what they will do for me. Hopefully they will let me exchange.

Offline shiveringjoe

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Jan 09, 2018, 10:02 AM »
Maybe I'm just lucky but I have had zero issues with my gen 4 rigid (with brushes) mounted to a clam plate with a 6" lazer. I have drilled hundreds of holes through ice up to 30", never do anything special to keep my batteries warm. Its not as cold here as some shanty people, but certainly warmer than Pennsylvania. The lazer is aggressive, I definitely support the recommendations to go with an 8" mora or eskimo instead. The drill has also seen heavy use off the ice. I broke the impact driver trying to install TimberLOK screws in green wood and just switched over to the drill, it survived at least a mile of TimberLOKs.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #49 on: Jan 09, 2018, 10:12 AM »
they will return any tool they sold for up to 90 days even if you registered them. no problem with that. they do drill ice very well, if you use the right bit for the job and tool. just like any other drilling task you may have.

and then there is this.
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=351027.0

also folks getting snubbed by milwaukee for repairs under warranty.
https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=353216.0

best of luck.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #50 on: Jan 09, 2018, 10:17 AM »
I am having the exact same problem. Bought a Rigid with 650 in. lbs. tourque to go with a 6" Nero. Runs for a couple seconds then quits. Tested in garage with no load and same results. Batteries fully charged tested both and 1 doesn't work at all. Going to return it and exchange. Does anybody know if HD will do an exchange or will I have to go through all the BS of a warranty return? Purchased the drill in December.
if it can't spin freely, then it is defective. so with no bit on it at all it won't spin.
make sure to use 4 amp battery or larger.
that 650 is their old model gen 4. probably super cheap especially if it only has 2 amp battery.
you can exchange it, but it's a little bit old when you bought it. or you can get your money back and start over.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Jan 09, 2018, 10:55 AM »
I did register and have the LSA. Thing is I don't want a Rigid anymore. Doubt they are built to hold up to ice drilling. I'll either go with a Bosch or Milwaukee. I'll take it back to HD and see what they will do for me. Hopefully they will let me exchange.
within 90 day store warranty - you can exchange it. I am using the rigid hammer drill for past 3 years and have had no problems. Using with 6" and 7" augers. 4AH battery. have yet to need to pull out the spare battery. used in minus temps flawlessly.

Offline ifc202

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Jan 09, 2018, 11:02 AM »
if it can't spin freely, then it is defective. so with no bit on it at all it won't spin.
make sure to use 4 amp battery or larger.
that 650 is their old model gen 4. probably super cheap especially if it only has 2 amp battery.
you can exchange it, but it's a little bit old when you bought it. or you can get your money back and start over.

I think defective since it only works intermittently with one battery and not at all with the other with nothing attached.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #53 on: Jan 09, 2018, 11:09 AM »
within 90 day store warranty - you can exchange it. I am using the rigid hammer drill for past 3 years and have had no problems. Using with 6" and 7" augers. 4AH battery. have yet to need to pull out the spare battery. used in minus temps flawlessly.
Just curious,is yours the Brushless drill? I see a lot of people saying they have a problem and some are using the Brushed and some brushless. I am pretty sure it isn't the batteries. It very well could be the auger they are using. Perhaps 8" isn't good on them but I haven't figured out if that is the case.  I am using the 7" Nero Mini and did have it cut out once but I think I was going at an angle into the ice. Of course that isn't a good idea. My wife is on vacation next week and I will have a lot more outings with it then. I will test the angle theory on it.  I have gone threw 12" many times with out a problem. Last 2 times out I only had 6" to go through. Just trying to figure out what is common on the problem drills/augers.
<===Lefty===

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #54 on: Jan 09, 2018, 11:11 AM »
I think defective since it only works intermittently with one battery and not at all with the other with nothing attached.
Are you saying it cuts out only with one of the batteries?
<===Lefty===

Offline ifc202

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #55 on: Jan 09, 2018, 11:25 AM »
Are you saying it cuts out only with one of the batteries?
yes and drill doesn't work at all with other baterry

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #56 on: Jan 09, 2018, 11:31 AM »
I know cars/Trucks and just about anything else electrical out there have some lemons. Sounds like a defective drill for sure. I have tried all 3 of my batteries and they all seem to work the same. Is there any slop with the battery attached?
<===Lefty===

Offline Charman03

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Jan 09, 2018, 12:37 PM »
The guy above has defective drill or battery.

The rest of us are just getting this cutting out thing on all kinds of different sized auger and fresh batteries in the 2-4 range. Spins fine out of the ice. In the ice it cuts out

Offline Charman03

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Jan 09, 2018, 06:24 PM »
Drilled 32 holes tonight with no issues. Even tried to sit a battery in the cold for awhile before I went. Both warm and cold batteries work. 15 on one, 17 on the other.

My rigid shut off issue is either coming from batteries getting cold on the ice or buildup on auger. Never starts acting up until at least 2 hrs on ice

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #59 on: Jan 09, 2018, 06:31 PM »
It very well could be ice build up or as I think my one time by cutting at an angle. I bought a level to put on the end of my drill today and used velcro to attach it. I will try using the level this week soon and I will also try cutting at an angle and see what happens.  I always spin the drill after drilling to minimize ice build up and never set it in the snow.
<===Lefty===

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.