Author Topic: Vexilar FLX28 Transducer Wars  (Read 13170 times)

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Vexilar FLX28 Transducer Wars
« Reply #60 on: Jan 31, 2018, 08:45 AM »
messing around with a buddies flx28 in shallow water a week or so ago, we figured otu 2 things.  on a pond that is gin clear,  in weedmode/lp mode in 10' of water, we did pretty well seeing the jig in any part of the gain without much clutter.  when we went to some of the run off ponds and the backwaters of the mississippi, it was impossible.  there was so much clutter with the proview that the tribeam was way more prefered by the both of us.   

Offline yellowhog

• IceShanty Rookie
  • My Fishing Partner
« Reply #61 on: Jan 31, 2018, 09:19 AM »
lp mode in anything under 10ft,nice display no problem.

Maybe no problem for you Dr but for the unit I have it is a problem in LP/auto Depth fishing in shallows less than 16’ even with gain ba led all the way off I still get super wide unwanted band.... granted if it’s set to the 20’ manual depth and in LP, then yes works fine.

Ive just spent considerable time reading about this same controversial topic from 2 yrs ago from this site and I’m certainly not the only person who hasn’t cared for this PV ducer !!! How many have replied saying since they’ve switched to the Tribeam their much happier. Then on top of it reading how in the 28 manuals from back then ( I haven’t checked mine yet) Vexilar is pumping their Tribeams and how they give the fisherman the option of multiple cone angles for a wide variety of depths, wow what a concept.... yet they dump these 9* on us like it’s the end all be all. In my humble opinion they should all come with a minimum of two if not three different adjustable cone angles
Grant me another day on the Ice

Offline yellowhog

• IceShanty Rookie
  • My Fishing Partner
« Reply #62 on: Jan 31, 2018, 09:24 AM »
messing around with a buddies flx28 in shallow water a week or so ago, we figured otu 2 things.  on a pond that is gin clear,  in weedmode/lp mode in 10' of water, we did pretty well seeing the jig in any part of the gain without much clutter.  when we went to some of the run off ponds and the backwaters of the mississippi, it was impossible.  there was so much clutter with the proview that the tribeam was way more prefered by the both of us.

Tnx hnd, maybe I haven’t been thrown so far from my rocker then after all especially since we’ve been fishing fairly stained to double double water clarity since I’ve gotten this 28

Offline tswoboda

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #63 on: Jan 31, 2018, 10:24 AM »
theres 3  crystals in the proview.when gain is turned  it activates the outer lobe crystals..fwiw.the flx was built around the proview and its gain button.
I'm sorry but that is simply incorrect.  The Proview has a SINGLE large crystal.  The Tri-Beam has 3 crystals.

If you disagree then please cut one open and prove me wrong.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #64 on: Jan 31, 2018, 10:55 AM »
ok so I was wrong the outer lobes of the LARGE crystal  activate with the gain button..im taking the vexilar engineers word and my personal experiences with my vexilars on the  performance of the proview.i don't care what transducer guys pick or run, I mark fish in all depths and sometimes catch them.i have had less clutter in gin clear waters also but never have a blobby screen anywhere or id sh@t can the proview too.another reason I like the  proviews narrow 9 degree cone angle is I don't care about fish out a ways from me.i like to fish for the ones right below me next to my jig.im just saying that guys should give the proview a chance instead of hearing get rid of it and buy a new ducer right off the bat..that's it I'm no getting involved with anything about this topic anymore.lol

Offline tswoboda

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Jan 31, 2018, 11:14 AM »
ok so I was wrong the outer lobes of the LARGE crystal  activate with the gain button..im taking the vexilar engineers word and my personal experiences with my vexilars on the  performance of the proview.i don't care what transducer guys pick or run, I mark fish in all depths and sometimes catch them.i have had less clutter in gin clear waters also but never have a blobby screen anywhere or id sh@t can the proview too.another reason I like the  proviews narrow 9 degree cone angle is I don't care about fish out a ways from me.i like to fish for the ones right below me next to my jig.im just saying that guys should give the proview a chance instead of hearing get rid of it and buy a new ducer right off the bat..that's it I'm no getting involved with anything about this topic anymore.lol
Right on.  As I said, I have the Proview and really like it for a lot of situations.  I'm just correcting some misinformation so it doesn't spread further.

Also realize you're entrusting the Vex Marketing and Sales Departments, not the engineers.  Electrical and Computer engineers generally aren't trusted with customer relations...

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #66 on: Jan 31, 2018, 11:45 AM »
Tnx hnd, maybe I haven’t been thrown so far from my rocker then after all especially since we’ve been fishing fairly stained to double double water clarity since I’ve gotten this 28

i think it has to do with particulates in the water.  here we get a lot in our waters and in the river obviously. 

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day fishing beats a good day working!
« Reply #67 on: Jan 31, 2018, 11:57 AM »

You keep saying you're done in these threads, but you always come back. ;D

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #68 on: Jan 31, 2018, 12:01 PM »
You keep saying you're done in these threads, but you always come back. ;D
I know right.lol.ill be here all year.

Offline KinnickResident

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #69 on: Jan 31, 2018, 12:49 PM »
Good god just get an FL-18 that comes stock with a 12, and debate's over.

I've had both and fished both extensively for bluegill, perch, crappie and walleye, from 5' to 65'+, and an FL-28 does nothing that will measurably catch more fish. It's nothing more than a few creature comforts. In fact, I'd argue that with the sh*tty Proview, the 28 is actually less effective because you spend more time messing around with settings and second-guessing what you're doing (hence all of these threads). I sold mine last year after using it as my primary and went back to an 18 with 12 degree. I've caught too many limits to remember with an 18, and the guy who said most people with an 18 can't usually outfish him with his 28, you're full of it. When it comes to other species such as lakers, etc. I have no idea so I'll refrain from that.

The day Vexilar offers a brushless FL-18 with a Lithium battery is the day they've made the perfect flasher.

Offline yellowhog

• IceShanty Rookie
  • My Fishing Partner
« Reply #70 on: Jan 31, 2018, 03:02 PM »
I'm sorry but that is simply incorrect.  The Proview has a SINGLE large crystal.  The Tri-Beam has 3 crystals.

If you disagree then please cut one open and prove me wrong.

Exactly what I was under the impression also TSW... am I correct in thinking also that claims are the strength and overall signal quality is supposedly better with a single crystal compared to multi ?? In theory it does kinda make sense and in a way apprehensive thinking of the Tribeam maybe having Tri Crystals, will the signal strength be as powerful?? Hey I’m no rocket scientist nor do I know the terminology but practical sense usually registers or at least in due time it normally does haha

Offline yellowhog

• IceShanty Rookie
  • My Fishing Partner
« Reply #71 on: Jan 31, 2018, 03:20 PM »
I don't care what transducer guys pick or run,

That’s it I'm no getting involved with anything about this topic anymore.lol

Haha that’s too funny Speck, how many times have you mentioned I’m all done I’m fed up no more and this thread to you is like a bad accident huh. Ya don’t wanna lol but Dam* there it is again, wonder what their saying now, ahh Hel* I gotta look haha.

It’s cool brother, you like the rest of us have our opinions and had I not ever owned a previous Vex, I’d most likely just use it the way it is. Hang in there with us and of ya gotta go kick the neighbours cat every so often then hey.

One thing I will say is after being told by the powers that be at Vex, there’s very little difference between the PV and what say a 20 will read.... then come to see this chart that reveals ( maybe just maybe it’s sngggkng but correct)

My current PV @ 9* reveals in 10’ ONLY 1.6’ opposed to 3.6’ a 20* would show... not much wonder guys who have tested transducer and bait down same 6” hole and lost signal... it’s not much wonder.

Conversely in 15’ the 9* shows 2.4’ of bottom where a 20* would be 5.5’

Then add to the mix hovering over a current laden river or lake and then “being told” “ I’ll need to drill another hole so my signal will detect my presentation. Sorry Speck man but paying $900 plus Canadian for the Cadillac of Flashers, but I’m my opinion that just downright sucks and not what I expect from any high end unit like this. Where’s that cat

Offline tswoboda

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #72 on: Jan 31, 2018, 04:08 PM »
Exactly what I was under the impression also TSW... am I correct in thinking also that claims are the strength and overall signal quality is supposedly better with a single crystal compared to multi ??
YES, the beauty of the PV is the one large crystal is very sensitive making it an awesome ducer for deep water.  The best function of the proview is that the gain can be at zero and it'll still mark your jig and fish in 50'+ of water.  Having the gain so low leads to almost zero interference and clutter.

The drawback - and most users' complaint - is that extreme sensitivity just ins't needed in less than 30' of water and it's big time overkill.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #73 on: Jan 31, 2018, 04:25 PM »
Haha that’s too funny Speck, how many times have you mentioned I’m all done I’m fed up no more and this thread to you is like a bad accident huh. Ya don’t wanna lol but Dam* there it is again, wonder what their saying now, ahh Hel* I gotta look haha.

It’s cool brother, you like the rest of us have our opinions and had I not ever owned a previous Vex, I’d most likely just use it the way it is. Hang in there with us and of ya gotta go kick the neighbours cat every so often then hey.

One thing I will say is after being told by the powers that be at Vex, there’s very little difference between the PV and what say a 20 will read.... then come to see this chart that reveals ( maybe just maybe it’s sngggkng but correct)

My current PV @ 9* reveals in 10’ ONLY 1.6’ opposed to 3.6’ a 20* would show... not much wonder guys who have tested transducer and bait down same 6” hole and lost signal... it’s not much wonder.

Conversely in 15’ the 9* shows 2.4’ of bottom where a 20* would be 5.5’

Then add to the mix hovering over a current laden river or lake and then “being told” “ I’ll need to drill another hole so my signal will detect my presentation. Sorry Speck man but paying $900 plus Canadian for the Cadillac of Flashers, but I’m my opinion that just downright sucks and not what I expect from any high end unit like this. Where’s that cat
damn bro Canadian prices are high..i paid $545 usd for my flx28 from reeds when they 1st came out.

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #74 on: Jan 31, 2018, 05:07 PM »
My 2010 FL-20 came with a "dual beam", funny but I never hear it mentioned. Was it unpopular? It was their 50th year limited edition. Came with 2 rod holders, cup holder, light, hat, sticker, patch, ultrapack, soft case, about every option they had at the time. I did 1 battery change is all, and it runs great to this day, deep, shallow. The dual beam was 9/19 degree cone. Any one else have the dual beam?

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #75 on: Jan 31, 2018, 05:20 PM »
for some reason the dual beam went extinct.i would buy one if vexilar would start selling them again.the dual beam iceducer is hard to find,think vex still sells the dual beam boat ducer tho.

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #76 on: Jan 31, 2018, 05:35 PM »

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #77 on: Jan 31, 2018, 08:41 PM »
My 2010 FL-20 came with a "dual beam", funny but I never hear it mentioned. Was it unpopular? It was their 50th year limited edition. Came with 2 rod holders, cup holder, light, hat, sticker, patch, ultrapack, soft case, about every option they had at the time. I did 1 battery change is all, and it runs great to this day, deep, shallow. The dual beam was 9/19 degree cone. Any one else have the dual beam?

That is the exact package I have/bought. I wore the stocking cap out....and loved it. I still have the dual beam on my fl20. Tribeams on the others.

The dual beam is a good transducer. Vexilar quit them when they started the tribeam. Nothing wrong with a dual beam for shallow and deep.......

Offline yellowhog

• IceShanty Rookie
  • My Fishing Partner
« Reply #78 on: Jan 31, 2018, 09:49 PM »
Well guys I think this thread might be coming to an end and honestly I had no idea the responses I would actually get over this topic. I feel the general consensus is, to each their own, fish with whatever makes you happy and be thankful we are out there enjoying the fresh air and great time with friends and family.

Kinres, sorry brother but I respectfully have to disagree with you that the FL-18 and it’s sunken in display vs my flatscreen, 6’/12’ Zoom vs your 6 only, 12*, ok I’ll give ya that one and either a dual beam or Tribeam should in my opinion be standard issue for our newer Vex’s. 5 Different colour, oops, Color pallets on our 28’s vs your one, etc etc. I can’t knock at all how much I loved then missed my 18 once I sold it but for the bit of extra dinking around involved, I gotta say the 28’s a pretty trick unit. Fish on my Brutha

Yes Doc, the prices we pay up here are ridiculous, especially with our dollar lagging behind yours currently more than 20%, plus then another 13% for provincial “Harmonized Sales tax”... I got a dream deal on mine at $777.99 taxes in plus shipping..considering cash and carry Boxing Day sale on the FLX20 was $725 taxes in.. 28,  regualr price I do believe most retailers up here currently $925 plus tax plus shipping.

I honestly think I’m going to see about hanging onto this PV transducer and see if I can find some sort of deal on a good used one especially considering a new Tribeam is $170CDN plus tax and shipping Likely $210 after smoke clears but at least that way I’d have the best of both worlds. I just wish Vexilar would give customers their choice of transducer and let the price reflect that if necessary because I believe I’d already have the Tribeam... but then hey look at all the fun we’d have missed here getting Doc’s blood pressure up, how’s the poor cat doing anyways??

Just to get everyone revved up again ya know it wouldn’t be right if didn’t report back in to reviews my findings on the Tribeam haha. Oh Dear Lord, here we go again... So hold tight because I hope I might find a good used TB, like maybe Docs barely used one haha. Cheers from SW Ontario Canada

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #79 on: Feb 01, 2018, 02:40 AM »
might as well try the pro view with a 33 year old flasher to see if I can get 350 ft. on it    I think I can we'll see

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #80 on: Feb 01, 2018, 06:52 AM »
Well guys I think this thread might be coming to an end and honestly I had no idea the responses I would actually get over this topic. I feel the general consensus is, to each their own, fish with whatever makes you happy and be thankful we are out there enjoying the fresh air and great time with friends and family.

Kinres, sorry brother but I respectfully have to disagree with you that the FL-18 and it’s sunken in display vs my flatscreen, 6’/12’ Zoom vs your 6 only, 12*, ok I’ll give ya that one and either a dual beam or Tribeam should in my opinion be standard issue for our newer Vex’s. 5 Different colour, oops, Color pallets on our 28’s vs your one, etc etc. I can’t knock at all how much I loved then missed my 18 once I sold it but for the bit of extra dinking around involved, I gotta say the 28’s a pretty trick unit. Fish on my Brutha

Yes Doc, the prices we pay up here are ridiculous, especially with our dollar lagging behind yours currently more than 20%, plus then another 13% for provincial “Harmonized Sales tax”... I got a dream deal on mine at $777.99 taxes in plus shipping..considering cash and carry Boxing Day sale on the FLX20 was $725 taxes in.. 28,  regualr price I do believe most retailers up here currently $925 plus tax plus shipping.

I honestly think I’m going to see about hanging onto this PV transducer and see if I can find some sort of deal on a good used one especially considering a new Tribeam is $170CDN plus tax and shipping Likely $210 after smoke clears but at least that way I’d have the best of both worlds. I just wish Vexilar would give customers their choice of transducer and let the price reflect that if necessary because I believe I’d already have the Tribeam... but then hey look at all the fun we’d have missed here getting Doc’s blood pressure up, how’s the poor cat doing anyways??

Just to get everyone revved up again ya know it wouldn’t be right if didn’t report back in to reviews my findings on the Tribeam haha. Oh Dear Lord, here we go again... So hold tight because I hope I might find a good used TB, like maybe Docs barely used one haha. Cheers from SW Ontario Canada
haha.i don't sell vexilars or vex transducers very often ,marcum that's another story..id give it too you if it was that brand.this will kick the cat.lol

Offline yellowhog

• IceShanty Rookie
  • My Fishing Partner
« Reply #81 on: Feb 01, 2018, 12:57 PM »
Well I’m not sure if I’m not looking in the right places but the Tribeams are as rare as hens teeth right now online !!! Vexilar doesn’t even have stock of them. I just might end up fishing the reminder of this ice season out with the ProView then maybe find one before next season

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #82 on: Feb 01, 2018, 01:04 PM »
Well I’m not sure if I’m not looking in the right places but the Tribeams are as rare as hens teeth right now online !!! Vexilar doesn’t even have stock of them. I just might end up fishing the reminder of this ice season out with the ProView then maybe find one before next season
you can do it!!!lol. maybe try a 12 degree that's a all around depth ducer.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #83 on: Feb 01, 2018, 01:07 PM »
i think I bought my FL18 the first year they were out and it came with a dual beam.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #84 on: Feb 01, 2018, 01:11 PM »
I have a dual beam with my 18.  My buddy just bought a 28 so i'll get to see that this weekend...

Offline yellowhog

• IceShanty Rookie
  • My Fishing Partner
« Reply #85 on: Feb 01, 2018, 01:52 PM »
you can do it!!!lol. maybe try a 12 degree that's a all around depth ducer.

Haha, it’ll be all I can do to put up with the ProView haha but I’ll suffer through alright. Absolutely yes the 12* would be a fine all round ducer for most depths but the thought of a selectable 9/12/20 IF I’m going to spend the money I’d rather have the option to flick over to a nice wide 20* come in them there shaller wadder Sittchiations

I’ve never had the desire to even look at or try any marcum flasher but hats off to them for giving the angler a dual beam option on their models. I only wish the team at Vexilar would get on board. Obviously they did come standard at one time from reading others posters saying their FL-18’s came with em then they take them away.

Granted the ProView works and sure it gets the job done but honestly fishing over 10’ depths if I had the chance to have a cone angle show more than 15” Of bottom I’d take it in a heartbeat

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day fishing beats a good day working!
« Reply #86 on: Feb 01, 2018, 02:44 PM »

Yes they have been hard to find recently. I do have one that's like new that I'd be willing to part with... I'll shoot you a pm.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #87 on: Feb 01, 2018, 08:54 PM »
Haha, it’ll be all I can do to put up with the ProView haha but I’ll suffer through alright. Absolutely yes the 12* would be a fine all round ducer for most depths but the thought of a selectable 9/12/20 IF I’m going to spend the money I’d rather have the option to flick over to a nice wide 20* come in them there shaller wadder Sittchiations

I’ve never had the desire to even look at or try any marcum flasher but hats off to them for giving the angler a dual beam option on their models. I only wish the team at Vexilar would get on board. Obviously they did come standard at one time from reading others posters saying their FL-18’s came with em then they take them away.

Granted the ProView works and sure it gets the job done but honestly fishing over 10’ depths if I had the chance to have a cone angle show more than 15” Of bottom I’d take it in a heartbeat

Actually the Tri Beam is 8-12-20

Offline yellowhog

• IceShanty Rookie
  • My Fishing Partner
« Reply #88 on: Feb 02, 2018, 11:49 AM »
Tnx OA, I appreciate it..

Yes the TB is 8/12/20

Managed to hit the ice for the witching hour yesterday afternoon on few hundred acre lake outside town that was stocked 30yrs ago, and absolutely loaded with eyes... nothing to go out and pull 13”-18”/20” fish as fast as a good perch bite some days, we primarily just catch and release.

I figured ideal time to test Toms Z suggestions about kicking it into the Weed mode... setup on the fat side of 10’ and man that unit worked better in the LP Mode than Weed mode, using the #4 pallet and line was waaaay too wide it wasn’t even enjoyable to use. Can’t tell if a fish is down there or it’s just my presentation. Flipped back over to LP/Zoom amd at least it was legible.

Even with the gain just slightly cracked off Zero, trying to get as thin of green line as possible, most of the time, if my braid isn’t sitting right against the Vex float no way will it detect it and even then the line is visible then it’s not... it’s so frustratingly overly sensitive that a rocker/push button type incremental gain would be better suited that if you breathe the wrong way on the rotary gain potentiometer as it is, signal is too strong or weak... I admit I’m nit-pickin but still....

I honestly feel sure this factory PV offering, it’ll catch fish ahhight but a wider/maybe weaker cone angle/beam would be superior at least to my liking!!!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.