Author Topic: Vexilar FLX28 Transducer Wars  (Read 13166 times)

Offline yellowhog

• IceShanty Rookie
  • My Fishing Partner
Vexilar FLX28 Transducer Wars
« on: Jan 06, 2018, 01:41 PM »
Before I begin I’ll apologize in advance for bringing this subject up again haha.

I fished for years with my FL-18 then started to thinkthe snap through the water column was scaring shallow water fish off in lake beds, so I sold it. Then after a few years without my flasher last February I was in Regina Cabela’s and noticed the Ice 35’s on sale so I bought one. Used it first time in Bay of Quinte and I was disappointed enough to purchase a new FLX-20 on this past Boxing Day on sale again. Ordered the vex soft case and unit cover and it’s been so cold up here I’ve yet to get on the ice since the purchase. Had the FLX28’s on Boxing Day not been another $200+ I would’ve got one so I settled for the 20X. Well fast forward to last night I was looking around the internet and oh no I see the 28 on sale for a price I simply couldn’t hold myself back from not entering my Visa numbers. Knowing I can return the 20, I’m lookig forward to the extra feature last of the 28x compared to the 20X.

So here we are now knowing this 28 has the multi opinionated 9* proview ducer compared to the 12* that comes with the 20... I don’t regularly fish anything over 25’ max for eyes and typically hunting yella bellies from sight fishing depths to approx 20’.

I’ve spent last few days researching and reading reviews with this proview vs the Tri beam. Not sure with the tri if the definition in reality can or will be as detailed as say a single beam being there’s what 3 different crystals in that ducer compared to one larger surface area of a single beam.

Last thing (like with the Ice35) is having trouble tweaking the sensitivity so I can have a nice fine line showing lure and very concerned from the majority of negative reviews of cluttered screens even in LP mode in shallows with this PV ducer. Ideally and theoretically the tribeam with its adjustability for various depths and selectable cone angles make absolute perfect sense BUT Do they detect and display the detail a single beam will.

I was thinking of calling the Vex team to see if they’d possibly exchange this PV for a tri. I know what some of you will say, just keep the 12* from the 20 I have sitting here and return the 20 with the PV in it but sadly I have a conscience and somehow it’ll come back to bite me haha.

Sorry for long post. Tnx in advance for experienced replies. 
Grant me another day on the Ice

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Vexilar FLX28 Transducer Wars
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2018, 02:05 PM »
I could never wrap my head around the Proview math...I have the TriBeam on my FL18..love that thing ..other IS members who have the Proview love it. Vexilar was exchanging the Proview for TriBeams at one point not certain if they still do.

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline openingact

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • A bad day fishing beats a good day working!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2018, 04:10 PM »
Before I begin I’ll apologize in advance for bringing this subject up again haha.

I fished for years with my FL-18 then started to thinkthe snap through the water column was scaring shallow water fish off in lake beds, so I sold it. Then after a few years without my flasher last February I was in Regina Cabela’s and noticed the Ice 35’s on sale so I bought one. Used it first time in Bay of Quinte and I was disappointed enough to purchase a new FLX-20 on this past Boxing Day on sale again. Ordered the vex soft case and unit cover and it’s been so cold up here I’ve yet to get on the ice since the purchase. Had the FLX28’s on Boxing Day not been another $200+ I would’ve got one so I settled for the 20X. Well fast forward to last night I was looking around the internet and oh no I see the 28 on sale for a price I simply couldn’t hold myself back from not entering my Visa numbers. Knowing I can return the 20, I’m lookig forward to the extra feature last of the 28x compared to the 20X.

So here we are now knowing this 28 has the multi opinionated 9* proview ducer compared to the 12* that comes with the 20... I don’t regularly fish anything over 25’ max for eyes and typically hunting yella bellies from sight fishing depths to approx 20’.

I’ve spent last few days researching and reading reviews with this proview vs the Tri beam. Not sure with the tri if the definition in reality can or will be as detailed as say a single beam being there’s what 3 different crystals in that ducer compared to one larger surface area of a single beam.

Last thing (like with the Ice35) is having trouble tweaking the sensitivity so I can have a nice fine line showing lure and very concerned from the majority of negative reviews of cluttered screens even in LP mode in shallows with this PV ducer. Ideally and theoretically the tribeam with its adjustability for various depths and selectable cone angles make absolute perfect sense BUT Do they detect and display the detail a single beam will.

I was thinking of calling the Vex team to see if they’d possibly exchange this PV for a tri. I know what some of you will say, just keep the 12* from the 20 I have sitting here and return the 20 with the PV in it but sadly I have a conscience and somehow it’ll come back to bite me haha.

Sorry for long post. Tnx in advance for experienced replies.

I tried for 2 years to love the proview and couldn't. Just seemed to blow out the screen to much when I would try to open up the cone in shallow weedy waters. i would try weed mode and low power mode and it wouldn't matter. Got the tribeam now and couldn't be happier.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2018, 05:24 PM »
I'm not getting into the debate anymore.i like all the vexilar ducers.not a problem with any of the lineup.

Offline Duncan77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2018, 06:27 PM »
I have had my FLX 28 since 2013. The first trip out I was not impressed with the Pro View transducer no matter what I did (settings or lure) I could never get a thin green line to mark my jig. I called vexilar and they told me that it wasn’t going to show a thin green line to mark my jig, that’s when I pointed out in my owners manual shows my jig as a thin green line. I was told by vexilar to give the Pro View a chance and that I was going to love it. I used it for about 1/2 of the season, then I switched to my old dual beam transducer and have never looked back. Last year I upgraded to the new tri beam and love it.

I purchased a FLX 20 this year for my son because the FLX 28 only comes with the pro view. I’ll take a 12 degree transducer over the Pro view any day. I have several friends that still won’t upgrade to the FLX 28 because of the Pro View transducer.
Don't try to change me, my wife said that's her job.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2018, 08:54 PM »
you can get a thin green line very easily with the proview

Offline Duncan77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2018, 09:37 PM »
you can get a thin green line very easily with the proview
Yes I know, by starting the unit up in low power mode and then going into weed mode. However when you have the gain turned way up to get the larger cone angle the thin green line goes right back to the green blob.  Or you have the option to purchase and use this S-cable costing you more money. I went with the tri beam because it works the best for me.
Don't try to change me, my wife said that's her job.

Offline yellowhog

• IceShanty Rookie
  • My Fishing Partner
« Reply #7 on: Jan 06, 2018, 10:01 PM »
Dr Speckler, haha I figured when you and other IS members who took part in the one 3 Page thread on this same subject back in 2016 I believe, (which I read in its entirety along with many other threads too) I can just imagine some members seeing this subject arise once again, God’s would be curling under desks and maybe fist pounding, oh no heerrre we go Again haha.

I just thought there might be new or solidified further opinions. I’d love to try the PV ducer but i feel IF I stand any chance whatsoever that the fine folks over at Vexilar to possibly swap me out for a tri beam, I really shouldn’t even put it in the water. Last “I read” you guys mentioned Vexilar finally (rightfully so) put the Kibash to guys trying to trade in open water ducers for ice.

I was thinking we have one winter haunt we set up for early ice over 7-8’ hump those big hen eyes come up onto and I’ve had great luck with I believe it’s close to a 5” Lucky Strike Rocket spoon, usually tipped with a Minnow head. Wondering what that proview would respond like to that big hunk o tin in shallow water like that. Possibly a tiny bug and spike or two for bull gills in shallow that PV might be ok for but man I’m the one with toes curled now thinking I’ll be out the cost of the tribeam if I have to purchase it separately   

Grant me another day on the Ice

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2018, 10:50 PM »
Dr Speckler, haha I figured when you and other IS members who took part in the one 3 Page thread on this same subject back in 2016 I believe, (which I read in its entirety along with many other threads too) I can just imagine some members seeing this subject arise once again, God’s would be curling under desks and maybe fist pounding, oh no heerrre we go Again haha.

I just thought there might be new or solidified further opinions. I’d love to try the PV ducer but i feel IF I stand any chance whatsoever that the fine folks over at Vexilar to possibly swap me out for a tri beam, I really shouldn’t even put it in the water. Last “I read” you guys mentioned Vexilar finally (rightfully so) put the Kibash to guys trying to trade in open water ducers for ice.

I was thinking we have one winter haunt we set up for early ice over 7-8’ hump those big hen eyes come up onto and I’ve had great luck with I believe it’s close to a 5” Lucky Strike Rocket spoon, usually tipped with a Minnow head. Wondering what that proview would respond like to that big hunk o tin in shallow water like that. Possibly a tiny bug and spike or two for bull gills in shallow that PV might be ok for but man I’m the one with toes curled now thinking I’ll be out the cost of the tribeam if I have to purchase it separately   

Here is the thing Yellowhog.......which IMO pretty much makes the ProView Worthless on an FLX28....In order for you to get a wide view cone angle the gain needs to be turned up.....which is going to cause clutter in shallow water and blobby signals. Now These other guys can make all the claims on gods frozen lakes that they want, but IMO in order to get an acceptable line display the things they do to get it will cause the cone angle to narrow. So why the heck does anyone want a transducer that needs the gain turned up to get a wide cone angle in shallow water? Then in deep water if you turn the gain up to see a lure you widen the cone.

To me the Proview is setup to do the exact opposite of what I want to do under water. (Which is low gain wide cone in shallow water, and high gain narrow cone in deep water.) Plus, how the heck does a guy know ruffly how much area your seeing with a proview.....I wouldn't hesitate for a second to switch a ProView out for a Tri Beam....

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2018, 01:01 AM »
Yes I know, by starting the unit up in low power mode and then going into weed mode. However when you have the gain turned way up to get the larger cone angle the thin green line goes right back to the green blob.  Or you have the option to purchase and use this S-cable costing you more money. I went with the tri beam because it works the best for me.

no no  no and not even close

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #10 on: Jan 07, 2018, 04:58 AM »
its all opinions  .i fish with a thin green line with the proview..take it out of auto set depth to 1 depth setting higher than the actual depth.lp mode.I'm not staring at  a blobby screen all day for sure and use ever vexilar ever made basically.i run proview,tri beam,12 and 19 degree with no problems.real shallow water and the proview might be a little powerful.the flx28 is built with the proview in mind.thats why it comes with it in most packs.jmo.i take  how vexilar compares the 2 on youtube vids.they are not blowing smoke..and ive never fished over 40 ft. of water in my life either.

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 07, 2018, 05:24 AM »
its all opinions  .i fish with a thin green line with the proview..take it out of auto set depth to 1 depth setting higher than the actual depth.lp mode.I'm not staring at  a blobby screen all day for sure and use ever vexilar ever made basically.i run proview,tri beam,12 and 19 degree with no problems.real shallow water and the proview might be a little powerful.the flx28 is built with the proview in mind.thats why it comes with it in most packs.jmo.i take  how vexilar compares the 2 on youtube vids.they are not blowing smoke..and ive never fished over 40 ft. of water in my life either.

Does it not take away some of your screen resolution when you, for instance,  use the 30 foot scale in 17 feet of water?
May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #12 on: Jan 07, 2018, 07:09 AM »
Does it not take away some of your screen resolution when you, for instance,  use the 30 foot scale in 17 feet of water?
in 17ft I would just use the 20ft setting in lp mode.the proview is fine in 15 ft and over and easy to get  a nice thin green line with many different settings even  using auto mode..10 ft and under one must know what settings to use or you will get the blob.lol.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Jan 07, 2018, 07:40 AM »
in 17ft I would just use the 20ft setting in lp mode.the proview is fine in 15 ft and over and easy to get  a nice thin green line with many different settings even  using auto mode..10 ft and under one must know what settings to use or you will get the blob.lol.

what are the settings ?
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #14 on: Jan 07, 2018, 07:52 AM »
for what depth?for 10 ft I would use lp in manual setting of 10 with gain up maybe a quarter.if that's blobbly I would do 20ft manual mode lp/weed mode.could try auto range but that's where my screen would get blobby.i mifght go out fishing today and screw around with my flx28 again.i haven't fished it this year yet and forgot a few things.im fishing the fl22hd in shallow water this season.pretty nice flasher for under 10 ft. but I have a 12 degree on that.in 11ft I have to use 20 ft lp mode on that to get a thin line.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Jan 07, 2018, 07:57 AM »
for what depth?

Less then 10...less then 15 ?..I have a fishing buddy who has a FL18 w/Proview...love to pass on good info ...we have yet to fish side by side to compare my TriBeam and his Proview.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #16 on: Jan 07, 2018, 08:04 AM »
Less then 10...less then 15 ?..I have a fishing buddy who has a FL18 w/Proview...love to pass on good info ...we have yet to fish side by side to compare my TriBeam and his Proview.
huh.ive never put my proview on my fl18 before.mine is running a 19.low power for sure and probably a depth setting deeper than actual depth.that basically makes the screen a tad smaller and not so blobby.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 07, 2018, 08:06 AM »
what are the settings ?

The settings that are going to give you this thin green line aren't hard to get to. The problem is you'll be running a 9* cone from 20ft down to get it. Here is a paragraph from a article off vexilar.......

You must keep in mind that these are transducer specifications and, unless you have your gain set at the maximum level, you will actually be looking at a smaller area. This brings up another interesting point. Your gain control acts much like a variable cone angle control. The drawback is that when you turn your gain up high everything in the middle of the cone gets blown up to the point where you can’t see what’s on the edge anyway

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #18 on: Jan 07, 2018, 08:07 AM »
maybe ill do a vid of tribeam/proview side by side in shallow water one of these days..but it wouldn't be that accurate being I don't have 2 of the same vexilars.it would be a fl20 with tri beam and flx28 with proview.

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 07, 2018, 08:09 AM »
You could do the test that way, then just swap transducers and see of the results change.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #20 on: Jan 07, 2018, 08:13 AM »
You could do the test that way, then just swap transducers and see of the results change.
yup one of these days.i have a bad problem with getting out on the ice ready to do a test, sit down and start fishing instead.hahaha

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Jan 07, 2018, 08:38 AM »
Thanks for the heads up ..my Proview pal catches fish on a regular basis..he did note the "blob" screen when he first started to use it ...being this is his first flasher he has since overcome its nuances ..I will have to do a side by side comparison to see for myself.   

Offline BlueSail

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 07, 2018, 09:33 AM »
So...fishing 100% of my time in shallow water (6-14 ft), I've given up trying to get my PV to work well (FL18). Biggest complaint is the narrow cone, or so I feel it is narrow. I often lose my jig if it ventures just a bit off to the side. Fish have quite often been caught that I did not even 'see' on the Vex, they were likely watching just outside the perceived narrow cone. Forget using jigging Rapalas, rarely saw them until the final stand still...
Santa brought me a 19° 'ducer for Christmas.  Now my only complaint (and it is minor in my mind) is that my jig is huge, even LP mode...but, I see more fish!
Crappie and perch are the losers now.
I'll keep the PV, perhaps one day I'll venture from my shallow pond...

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #23 on: Jan 07, 2018, 11:22 AM »
So...fishing 100% of my time in shallow water (6-14 ft), I've given up trying to get my PV to work well (FL18). Biggest complaint is the narrow cone, or so I feel it is narrow. I often lose my jig if it ventures just a bit off to the side. Fish have quite often been caught that I did not even 'see' on the Vex, they were likely watching just outside the perceived narrow cone. Forget using jigging Rapalas, rarely saw them until the final stand still...
Santa brought me a 19° 'ducer for Christmas.  Now my only complaint (and it is minor in my mind) is that my jig is huge, even LP mode...but, I see more fish!
Crappie and perch are the losers now.
I'll keep the PV, perhaps one day I'll venture from my shallow pond...

OH NO ....you will be unstoppable now ...you were fishing/seeing through a key hole ...now its like a picture window ..I guess no need to do a side by side comparison.  :clap:

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #24 on: Jan 07, 2018, 03:23 PM »
ok so I messed around with setting in 10ish ft of water shows the differences between regular auto mode and auto mode/lp mode.then regular manual mode then reg mode with low power.lp mode needed about quarter gain and reg mode had to be at zero,doesn't prove much but  a nice display can be had with the right settings.pics  coming..i was in 9.9 ft and 11.regular auto range.manual low powerauto range lp.regular auto at 11ft.auto range lp.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #25 on: Jan 07, 2018, 03:41 PM »
ok so I messed around with setting in 10ish ft of water shows the differences between regular auto mode and auto mode/lp mode.then regular manual mode then reg mode with low power.lp mode needed about quarter gain and reg mode had to be at zero,doesn't prove much but  a nice display can be had with the right settings.pics  coming..i was in 9.9 ft and 11.regular auto range.(Image removed from quote.)manual low power(Image removed from quote.)

So what's the cone angles of each of these. A nice line on the screen is fine, but a small cone angle is pointless in sub 10ft

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #26 on: Jan 07, 2018, 03:47 PM »
well on lp with gain at half I would think around 20 degree.being its supposed to go as wide as 40.im just showing that the proview will fish good in shallow water and not be a blobby screen is all I'm showing guys now.just trying to help somebody that might need help setting up the proview in shallow water.i didn't need weed mode today.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #27 on: Jan 07, 2018, 03:58 PM »
well on lp with gain at half I would think around 20 degree.being its supposed to go as wide as 40.im just showing that the proview will fish good in shallow water and not be a blobby screen is all I'm showing guys now.

The things your showing can work sometimes on a proview, but they don't work that well a lot of the time. I'm pretty sure most guys have enough common sense to use LP and switch out of auto mode. I personally rarely use auto mode unless it's in the bottom breaks my manual won't go to.

Also like your Rod tip.....looks like it could be a Rod that was homemade.

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 07, 2018, 04:04 PM »
Reading the flx28 manual, it says the higher you turn up the gain, the wider the cone angle you are seeing? Is that the way it works?

I think it should be made the other way around. So in deeper water, you can turn up the gain to see a smaller jig, and narrow the cone for deep use. Then turn gain down in shallow for a wider view.  Ive never used a proview. Or a tri beam. Been a while since I've used a Vexilar for that matter. Guess I'd have to see the Proview in action to understand it better.

I would think the tri beam would allow for more variables.  Wide beam in shallow. Or narrow beam in shallow weeds with a lower gain setting. I assume the weed setting on the 28 compensates for that?

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #29 on: Jan 07, 2018, 04:11 PM »
The things your showing can work sometimes on a proview, but they don't work that well a lot of the time. I'm pretty sure most guys have enough common sense to use LP and switch out of auto mode. I personally rarely use auto mode unless it's in the bottom breaks my manual won't go to.

Also like your Rod tip.....looks like it could be a Rod that was homemade.
yeah I know.i was just wondering why people say their display is blobby in shallow water..and yeah I broke the mid section of a old 9ft crappie pole so I used the top half and made a ice rod out of it.real nice tip that does not need a indicator.i don't like auto mode either.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.