Author Topic: "The General" Homemade army canvas flip over  (Read 2684 times)

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
"The General" Homemade army canvas flip over
« on: Oct 02, 2017, 05:59 AM »
Here it is!  5 years in the dreaming, built on a jet sled XL 65"l x 30"w it opens up to have over 35 sq ft inside, and fishes 3 comfortably!  I salvaged all the zippers from an old army tent that had dry rotted in a few spots. I bent 1/2" and 3/4" emt conduit poles with a conduit bender, made the hinges from a piece of plate steel from a pressure washer. Ordered X2 9x7 16oz olive drab army canvas tarps, added some poly coated canvas side walls and slush skirt.  Made a replaceable window out of thick flexible clear vinyl that Velcro's in.  It took me two days of measuring cutting and sewing but it is here!  I made it late last season and have only fished from it a hand full of times, but it has exceeded my expectations!!!! 

Offline BH2

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Dont wish your life away!
Re: "The General" Homemade army canvas flip over
« Reply #1 on: Oct 02, 2017, 06:37 AM »
Very Nice!!

Offline darkeyez

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 02, 2017, 08:31 AM »
Excellent job, and a nice homemade project to enjoy. I see you can sew about as straight as I can, hey the fish and deer don't care!  :laugh:

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 02, 2017, 02:48 PM »
I was having problems stitching the heavy canvas, turned out a heavy duty needle was all I needed and my stitches started to look better.  I double and even triple stitched some spots, lol.  The hardest part of all was trying to roll up the canvas to make the huge cover fit in the sewing machine.... Not easy!  Stitching the zipper was really tricky to get just right

Offline muskamoot

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Oct 10, 2017, 10:14 AM »
Very nice project and I get the idea of making a shanty that fits you as opposed to buying.That's a $700 setup all day long.Reminds me of my Eskape3.Good job.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 10, 2017, 07:17 PM »
very nice well done

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.