Author Topic: TV fishing shows  (Read 13404 times)

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
TV fishing shows
« on: Feb 04, 2006, 02:43 PM »
I hate to start this guys and gals, but the ice is lousy and I bet a lot of us are watching fishing shows. What do you consider to be the worst fishing show on TV. I'll start with Dimestore Fisherman which I think should be renamed Morons on Water.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline crappie rob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
Re: TV fishing shows
« Reply #1 on: Feb 04, 2006, 02:48 PM »
The one with Tret Barta, that guy's an idiot!!! Crappie Rob.
Lets Go Cubs. Bring on the baseball season!!!

Offline Fishbreath

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 04, 2006, 03:00 PM »
The one with Tret Barta, that guy's an idiot!!! Crappie Rob.
I'll second it.
My wife is a widow during ice season.
ice shanty #53
VBA #299
retirement is't all its cracked up to be.................... ............its better

Offline chilly feet

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got bait?
« Reply #3 on: Feb 04, 2006, 03:53 PM »
spanish fly.
i don't know the hosts name but he annoys
the crap out of me.

Offline Ray4852

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 04, 2006, 04:02 PM »
There are a lot of good ones and bad ones to watch but I sort out the ones I like. If you have a c band satellite system with a dvb receiver you can pick up a ton of sports shows. The sportsman’s channel is always coming out with new shows.
http://www.thesportsmanchannel.com/

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #5 on: Feb 04, 2006, 04:03 PM »
I have a love Hate relationship with "Full Contact Fishing". I think the idea is cool, it's all Current and Former NHL players fishing and having a good time...But there is no value to their information and the the conversations are borderline cheesey...But I still enjoy watching Maple Leaf Greats doing battle on the Water

Offline fishercat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hard water or soft water just let me fish
« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2006, 04:17 PM »
Oh come on, what about Charlie Moore?  He manages to catch fish while acting like a total bozo.  Loud, jumps around, can't be a fish within 20 feet of the boat!  After he is done catching the one he has.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #7 on: Feb 04, 2006, 05:29 PM »
spanish fly.
the crap out of me.

jose wejebe  ;)  you dont like jose?  :-\

Offline The Darkness

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 04, 2006, 05:52 PM »
I'll second it.
I'll third this one.

WORK is that annoying time between FISHING TRIPS

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 04, 2006, 06:12 PM »
spanish fly.
the crap out of me.

Are you nuts :wacko: :wacko: :cookoo: :cookoo:
Jose rocks.
I have had the opportunity to chat with him at the George Bush Bonefish Tourney, when I lived in the Keys.

Offline swantucky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 04, 2006, 08:28 PM »
Jimmy Houston is my favorite.....I would love to "trophy" hunt with him.  What a jerk!!!
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Offline Jenk

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • A bad day of fishin' beats a good day of work!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 04, 2006, 08:32 PM »
I kind of miss Fish Fishburn.  He was a wacko, but the goofiness of the show made me laugh. I loved how he would make fun of the pros (even though he was/is one). One of the best episodes was when he went 'ladder' fishing with his Dad.  Priceless. 
Nothing changes, when nothing changes.

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 04, 2006, 08:59 PM »
Oh come on, what about Charlie Moore?  He manages to catch fish while acting like a total bozo.  Loud, jumps around, can't be a fish within 20 feet of the boat!  After he is done catching the one he has.
i don't think he's acting.

M.P.H.C. freedomfighter #000004

Offline fishnut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 04, 2006, 09:48 PM »
I don't know if I have a fishing show that I hate, but the fishing show that I do like to watch is either Fishin Canada or Gone fishin - the one with Itialo.
fishing - It's a religion, not a sport.

Offline rumblefish_1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 05, 2006, 12:02 AM »
The ladder episode   funny as hell...I agree   but I have to second the comment on DIIIIIIIImestore Fisherman.I can only imagine the things these guys inhale or inject before taping a show.Holy Crap...since when is a 17" pike a monster and high fives all around.These guys are totally whacked on something.I tried to be fair but after watching 5-6 times...its officially the Worst show I have ever seen. and IIIIIII really mean it YEEEEEEE HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAA

Offline HiRanger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Jigin' My Stix in 2007! St. Helen Iceman
« Reply #15 on: Feb 05, 2006, 12:13 AM »
"In Fisherman" got some good information from that group........
Zymurgy's First Law of Evolving Systems Dynamics
Once you open a can of worms, the only way to recan them is to use a larger can.

We do not stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing. Never Be The First To Get Old!!!!!

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
« Reply #16 on: Feb 05, 2006, 05:17 AM »
i like that charlie dude, the one whos always talking trash on espn.  hes funny.  i havent seen any icefishing shows.  just got direct tv, im glad i didnt get the extra channels.  the outdoor channel is like turkey hunting, and bass fishing all day???  shoulda gotten dish planet.  i visited my sister once, she has dish planet i think, it was icefishing all day long.
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 05, 2006, 07:04 AM »
I can't stand Jimmy Houston.Every time I hear him laugh I want to b-slap him.

Offline reelbigfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just one more and we'll all go home. SE Mi.
« Reply #18 on: Feb 05, 2006, 07:20 AM »
  Ditto on Jimmy Houston.  How many times can you watch somebody catch a bass
before that gets old.  The best show is the one with the two broads in bikinis.  Even
if the fishing stinks and they only catch little ones who cares.  :thumbsup:

Ted
Many men go fishing their entire lives without knowing it's not fish they are after.
Thoreau

Offline blue mule

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • LOOK CLOSER...
« Reply #19 on: Feb 05, 2006, 04:38 PM »
i've been watching a lot of fishing t.v since i haven't been on the ice since Christmas eve. in fisherman's angling edge has lots of good info, and usually they have some hard water shows by now. (maybe they don't have any ice?)
 charlie moore needs his wings clipped a little.he's a good bass fisherman, i'll give him credit, but i'd like to see someone challenge him on the hard water, fishing for pike, trout, crappies, or perch. (and kick his butt)
bill dance fishing for stripers on watts bar was great just because i can say i fished in the same place.
 tred barta, i like his hunting shows, i liked the episode where his boat sank, faked, but it had good advice.
 when it comes to hard water, the best i've seen was a commercial. babe winkelmann was catchin crappies and got a call on his cell phone to come to a  block party (block archery targets)

Offline bayonne

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 05, 2006, 06:34 PM »
im a infisherman fan my self but favorite fisherman is nj own ike

Offline dwaytkus

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If she loves you, she will clean them!
« Reply #21 on: Feb 05, 2006, 08:44 PM »
The dimestore Fisherman are annoying!!!

And I can't stand how Bill Dance can't do a show that's not in a farm pond full of bass that havn't ate food in a year........Not jealous but I think he gets too much credit for what he does. 

Offline Roncarr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it swims I will JIG IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #22 on: Feb 07, 2006, 12:10 PM »
charlie moore is by far the worst a 10 inch smallie is a good fish  and that truck commercial they drive down a dirt road and go through a puddle and say yeehaaw thats supposed to be fun four wheelin in a truck when I see him at the sport fishin show Im gonna ask him if he is retarded or on drugs >:(
no flag just a perch doin a drive by 

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 07, 2006, 12:43 PM »
charlie moore is by far the worst a 10 inch smallie is a good fish  and that truck commercial they drive down a dirt road and go through a puddle and say yeehaaw thats supposed to be fun four wheelin in a truck when I see him at the sport fishin show Im gonna ask him if he is retarded or on drugs >:(
and he goes nuts over  a 2lb (sally) and calls it a chunker. he is to funny  :roflmao:

M.P.H.C. freedomfighter #000004

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
« Reply #24 on: Feb 07, 2006, 12:51 PM »
i liked that italo dude.  the canadian guy who did a show on "OLN"  he covered all the bases i thought.  i get so sick of watching guys catch bass.  when i catch bass, im doing something wrong.  i take my brother sometimes, he loves catching them.  i just tie on a couple bass stopper worms, pullem out all day long lol.  he has a good time  ::) 
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

Offline vtpike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 07, 2006, 01:10 PM »
Dimestore Fisherman I agree has got to be the worst. I think they are trying to earn a living actting like Charlie Moore but although I am not a huge fan of Charlie he is a hell of a lot better than those fools.

I as well would love to B***H slap Jimmy Houston!

Offline shiner

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Native Vermont Icer
« Reply #26 on: Feb 07, 2006, 01:13 PM »
    I'm with you fishercat ! I think he should jump in the lake and stay there . :P ::)  SHINER 8)

Offline Patch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 07, 2006, 01:22 PM »
I'm an In-fisherman fan. Lots of good info. The worst one IMHO is the new one out with the 3, 20 something girls trying to do all the male dominated hunting and fishing. Good eye candy......but they don't have a clue !!..............Patch
Life is a journey of experiences and companions..........EN JOY YOURS!

Offline cnyfishing

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Gotta love the perch fillets!!
« Reply #28 on: Feb 07, 2006, 01:57 PM »
I can't stand Bill Dance... or any other shows where all they catch bass.
I like Tred Barta's show most of the time because sometimes he doesn't limit out, and his shows are true to fishing and hunting. His personality is a different story...
"Let them take it... till the minnows good and took. Ya reel up all your slack, then ya set your hook."

Offline Fat Boy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Mason-Dixon - Crappie beware!
« Reply #29 on: Feb 07, 2006, 02:14 PM »
Actually, from a bass angler's perspective I've learned a lot from TV shows with Jimmy Houston and Denny Brauer.  Both of them, if you watch them carefully, cover water in their own way effectively as fast as anyone when bass fishing.  Both of them were revolutionary on the tournament trail and have had their styles copied by many a successful BASS tournament angler.  Jimmy Houston, for example, makes short accurate casts when using spinnerbaits and search baits as good as anyone.  Watch him closely and you'll see him get the bait out of the water and back in from any position hitting exactly his spots time and time again.  Yeah, his laugh is annoying, but turn the sound down and watch the guy, he's a true pro.  I kinda wish that he didn't have guests because most of the time it takes the view away from watching him.  Nobody is scuba diving under him putting fish on either.  Denny is one awesome bass angler too.  His record speaks for itself, but when he is on TV he gives up tips like no other, but ya gotta pay attention and not focus on the landing of his fish.  It's not him per se that allows you to learn, it's the directors and editors of the show that allow you to see what he's doing.  Perhaps it's Denny's suggestion that they do it that way?

Other species?  In-Fisherman, number one.  Mark Sosin's Salt Water Journal and Walker's Cay Chronicals are two really good saltwater shows.  All of those shows are excellent.  Jerry McGuinness has always been a pleasure to watch.  He's the guy that I'd probably like to meet and fish with more than the others, just because he seems a lot like us regular folk.

I think that the funniest fishing show was Fish Fishburns shows.  Cracked me up big time.

Worst show?  IMO Bill Dance.  I mean, he's personable enough and does like to teach his game, but I just can't stand how he plays his fish out.  Jeez man, just lip the daggone bass, will ya?
Kevin Wilson
http://fatboysoutdoors.blogspot.com/

Don't Leave Fish to Find Fish!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.