Author Topic: Auger suggestions  (Read 735 times)

Offline ymustuknow

• IceShanty Rookie
Auger suggestions
« on: Nov 23, 2015, 12:56 AM »
Hello all,
  I am hoping that you can help me suggest a auger for my Dad.  He is looking for something lite weight, easy to use, is electric, and doesn't cost a fortune.  I suggested that he look into the drill conversion style auger; is there a solid set up like this that has an 8" hole?  Please include all parts of this (drill info, ect)
Thanks!

Offline Light liner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6.
Re: Auger suggestions
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23, 2015, 08:46 AM »
I fish with a guy that uses an ion 8" he loves it.
The reverse feature is nice also.
Make sure to get a spare battery and 12 volt charger.

http://www.ioniceaugers.com/8-inch-ion-electric-ice-auger-with-reverse
Champlain
Memphremagog

Offline wiel0059

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 23, 2015, 08:54 AM »
Yes, everything you mentioned screams electric auger. I love my ION and would highly recommend it to someone in your Dad's situation at only 22 lbs. They really are awesome for getting older fisherman or injured fisherman on the ice. You may not even need an extra battery, depending on how many holes he actually drills out on the ice.

I know a lot of guys like the Drill option and they will give great info on that, as that will be a strong option for you as well. Good luck in your search!

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 23, 2015, 10:44 AM »
spare battery is $149. blades are competitively priced. would recommend having a spare battery
comes with 8" blade. can also get a 10" blade.
the setups using electric drill as your motor, 6" blade is great. not recommended for anything over 7" from what i have read on this site.

Offline ymustuknow

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Nov 23, 2015, 05:12 PM »

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Nov 23, 2015, 05:27 PM »
If you don't get an answer on the hand drill auger set up you might go to the search at the top of the page . 

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 23, 2015, 06:52 PM »
Take a look at ice gator. especially if you already have a good hand auger already.. Heard great things. Lot's of youtube on it. Sorry No first hand experience.

Offline upnortfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 23, 2015, 07:17 PM »
If I was getting an electric I would consider Ice gator for sure, but otherwise I would go with a clam plate.

Offline gunnerdog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Nov 23, 2015, 07:56 PM »
I love my IceGator.  I fish with a few guys that have Ions and they love them. Except when I get the Gator out.  I drill holes in seconds compared to what seems like minutes for them.  Easily 2 close to 3 holes with the IceGator in the time for 1 with the ion.
Gunnerdog

Offline ymustuknow

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 23, 2015, 07:57 PM »
The Clam plate seems like a good set up. Is there a drill that is best for this? And is there a suggested auger? 8 inch would be great.

Offline Yachtzy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 23, 2015, 09:44 PM »
Just got an 8" Ion from Dicks with the 20% off, and free shipping. Saw the special on a post from this site. They should be running the sale again. $440, with extention. It's a 40 volt battery,  he won't need a spare if he keeps it warm.

Offline rl_sd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 23, 2015, 10:17 PM »
If you are hooked on a drill setup and already have a drill pushing out at least 725 in #, I would seriously look at the vexilar k-drill. I was set on getting the k-drill but didn't have a drill to run it so I went with the Ion. No experience yet but definitely did my research. The ice gator looks nice, but there are some less than nice reviews. From what I could tell, the gator is getting it hole drilling speed from high rpms, thus throwing chips much more than an ion..... All reasons I went with the Ion.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.