Author Topic: You Make the Call...  (Read 946 times)

Offline Hagigun

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "...It's the reckoning."
You Make the Call...
« on: Feb 19, 2012, 10:04 PM »
You are deadsticking for walleye... You have a minnow or shiner on a plain red hook/circle hook, your choice...

You see the bobber go down and start to run, you have your bail open and watch line go out...

What do you do next? How long do you wait? Do you give extra line? You make the call?
Why?
....Because I can't can't Golf with Ice on the lake!

Offline laclabiche walleye hunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: You Make the Call...
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2012, 10:07 PM »
I would close the bail and set the hook.

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2012, 10:10 PM »
I would close the bail and set the hook.

X2

Ya beat me to it.  ;D

Offline SDFlagChaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2012, 10:12 PM »
I'm not much for waiting, I also close the bail, reel up the slack, and set steel.

Offline Big Al 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2012, 10:18 PM »
Close the bail and rip lips like a samurai warrior. That is if you don't slip and fall getting there.

Offline codewordcs1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2012, 10:44 PM »
If you're using a circle hook in theory the rod tip loading up should set the hook right? No open bail just be ready to get your rod before it heads down the hole  ;D I've never used a circle with Eyes just cat fishing and I keep my drive engaged and in a stout rod holder and the fish always hooks itself with no hook set needed just a good jerk after you pick up the rod to make sure it's set deep.

Offline deadcold

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 19, 2012, 11:29 PM »
I think a couple of variables may come into play when determining how to react. First of all, the type of hook obviously matters.  Circle style = lift and reel. J style =  lift, set, and reel. I think the real question comes down to how long do ya wait before the lift part. I think as the season progresses, I wait a little longer due to the metabolism of the fish slowing down. Later in the year, even an aggressive species like a Walleye will pick up a bait and swim with it for a bit before committing to taking it completely into their mouth . I might wait a few seconds before I do anything. DC

Offline lmstuhr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2012, 04:06 PM »
My friends and I always get into arguments about what is best. I tend to set the hook as soon as the bobber goes down, give or take a few seconds. I have fairly good success. Other guys swear on giving it 1-2 sometimes 3 minutes before they will set the hook. To me that just seems crazy.

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • one of my future ice buddies
« Reply #8 on: Feb 22, 2012, 04:08 PM »
If you're using a circle hook in theory the rod tip loading up should set the hook right? No open bail just be ready to get your rod before it heads down the hole  ;D I've never used a circle with Eyes just cat fishing and I keep my drive engaged and in a stout rod holder and the fish always hooks itself with no hook set needed just a good jerk after you pick up the rod to make sure it's set deep.

RGIII keeps a bench mighty warm

Offline walleyeslayer1978

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Walleye Gods are angry, that's why.
« Reply #9 on: Feb 22, 2012, 05:40 PM »
Once the float starts going down steady, reel slack, set hook. I've found its gotta be going down steady or you pull the bait out of the mouth of the fish.
Still counting.....

Offline dawnordusk1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • face the wind.. hurts to lay the same egg twice
« Reply #10 on: Feb 23, 2012, 07:28 PM »
Close the bail, reel in slack slow,feel that slight resistance and then a smooth sweep of the rod to hook it. I go with the idea the longer I wait the better chance he lets go. To me its the smooth sweep of the rod that means the most.
Just my 2 cents.. keep it or spend it up to you

Offline fishunlimited(fu)

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 23, 2012, 07:54 PM »
Well, this story starts back a ling time ago. My cousin and I we catfishing at the river one time. I always missed the catfish with a bobber and worm, he always hooked them. I never knew why until once he let me in on his itsy bitsy secret. "Count to 5" he said. ever since then I counted to five and caught every catfish. To the point count to five (in 1 mississippi's) i always do this for ANY bobber fishing. I don't know what about 5 or anything, but next time your bobber goes down count to five and set the hook..

Offline TJG

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's like xmas, 6-8 inchs of solid ice!!!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 23, 2012, 08:20 PM »
Once the float starts going down steady, reel slack, set hook. I've found its gotta be going down steady or you pull the bait out of the mouth of the fish.

From one Sask boy to another, X2.
Last mountain walleye, steady pull, set it!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.