Author Topic: Greenwater and area?  (Read 13339 times)

Offline BallsOut

• IceShanty Rookie
Greenwater and area?
« on: Jan 30, 2012, 10:31 PM »
Hey thinking of heading up north just wondering if anyone has been up that way to greenwater,Marean,Barrier or steietol lakes or has herd how the bite has been lately i have done really good in the past on all those lakes so any info would be well appreciated thnx and keep those hooks sharp boys  ;D

Offline whitetail/walleyefreak

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Greenwater and area?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2012, 11:07 AM »
I fished barrier end of December. We caught about 30+perch, a dozen pike and 2 walleye. Talked to a guy last weekend who fishes it lots, and he said that it was still just as good. We fished in between Barrier Ford and Barrier Lake on the north shore. Perch and Pike were best in 8-12 feet and the walleye hit in the evening at 18 feet. Definitely a great place to keep kids entertained with lots of action

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2012, 05:52 PM »
Good to hear that Barrier Lake is producing this winter. I may have to give it a try some time, last winter the few times went I found it a bit slow. I probably hit off days or locations. :-\

Did you drive to your spot in middle between the two resorts by snowmachine or by truck?

How thick is the ice, and where did you access the lake from?

Have any of you ever tried Round Lake, just a bit SE from Greenwater Prov. Park?
If so, how did you make out, and how thick is the ice? ???

WW

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2012, 07:03 PM »
We went with truck on at east end, then off on west end. It was probably about 16" thick then.

Offline triple240

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2012, 07:33 PM »
went out on barrier north shore today from noon till 6 and only caught 4 jack and didnt see much on the cam ... the ice was about that 16 inches and was fairly easy driving on the lake .... i have a s10 suv and was in 2wd might go out again this week yet
born to fish forced to work

Offline pawlukja

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2012, 07:19 AM »
Haven't been on barrier myself but all the guys from back home have been going there since xmas and have been slaughtering the perch. We are talking a lot of 1.5 lbs and even a 2 pounder and catching 60 + a day. Sounds like it was about 20 years ago.

Offline ben-lucky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 03, 2012, 10:04 AM »
Green water is dead this year.  you will catch a few pike if you are targeting them but other than that you are lucky to scrape up a meal in a day.  Marean lake is good for walleye and perch right now.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 03, 2012, 10:54 AM »
What size of perch and walleye are coming out of Marean Lake?

Offline ben-lucky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 03, 2012, 11:21 AM »
1.5-3 pound walleye and the perch range from small to keeper.  You can catch enough big perch in an afternoon to make it worth while.  If you put a bigger hook on you can elemiate catching the small perch.  They just annoy you with their nibbling.

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 07, 2016, 12:23 PM »
Bump! :woot:

Hi all,
Just wondering what the ice fishing like at Greenwater, Marean and Barrier Lake now? :tipup:

What's the snow levels on the lake like, can a person drive out with a vehicle easy, or is hard going? ???

Is the ice still nice and thick or it wearing away with these nice days we have been having? :whistle:

Does just one part of Marean Lake have springs or are they all over the lake? :unsure:

WW

Offline ben-lucky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 08, 2016, 11:54 AM »
people are still driving on green water.  fishing has been really slow.  heading up there this weekend again so hopefully it picks up.  i might put the kids on the burbot spawn this weekend if it has started already.  at least it will give them some action and i dont care how many they lose.

Merean Lake- springs are mostly along the cabins on McCrea? side.  there are vehicles on the lake but i am not telling people to drive on it.  fishing has been steady there and perch fishing has picked up.

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 08, 2016, 12:53 PM »
Thanks ben-lucky. :)
Do you feel that it's safe enough to drive a truck all the way to the burbot grounds at Greenwater or would a quad / snowmachine be safer?
If the burbot are not there yet, will be there soon. ;)

At Merean Lake, is the McCrea side the one with the public boat launch and restaurant on the SW side or by the cabins on NW side by the more private boat launch? ???

WW

Offline ben-lucky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Mar 08, 2016, 02:14 PM »
you can drive a truck anywhere you like on green water.  no issues.  if i do fish burbot and catch some, i will let you know.  you can have the ones i catch too if you are having no luck.

McCrea side is with the public boat launch and the booth.  Personally, i would not drive on Merean with a truck

Offline bite-me7

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pour me another one
« Reply #13 on: Mar 09, 2016, 10:34 AM »
Sent you a PM, Water Wolf. :whistle:

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 05, 2017, 05:57 PM »
Bump!
Haven't heard of any updates from this area of SK. yet. :-\

If you have any reports for Greenwater, Marean, Round, Barrier or Kip Lake, feel free to post. :)

If you don't mind, mention the ice thickness as well. ;)

Thanks.

ww

Offline saskwallydiver

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 05, 2017, 07:26 PM »
My family has a shack on kip and I fished it a few days between Christmas and New Year's. Perch were steady until the weather turned cold and then seems as though they stopped biting. Still seeing them on the flasher and picking up the odd one but not as active. Caught one little walleye and a few small pike as well.

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Dec 10, 2017, 02:37 PM »
Bump!
Just wondering what ice thickness and & fishing reports are like from Kipabiskau (Kip), Barrier, Marean, Greenwater or Round Lake. ???

WW

Offline whitepoplar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 14, 2017, 01:48 PM »
10-12 inches in Greenwater

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 06, 2019, 04:20 PM »
Bump again!
Just wondering what ice thickness and & fishing reports are like from Kipabiskau (Kip), Barrier, Marean, Greenwater or Round Lake. :-\

How are the snow conditions on the lakes in that area, easy driving or tough going? ???
Might be tougher now, with today's wind and snow.

WW

Offline ben-lucky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Jan 07, 2019, 09:45 AM »
4 inches of snow on green water as of the weekend.   lots of SUV's driving around.  Not sure on the driving conditions of Marean but I am sure it is the same as green water and the fishing is steady.

Fishing has been really slow this season so far.  hope it picks up soon.

Offline Wissel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Jan 09, 2019, 10:26 AM »
Has anyone been out on Kipabiskau lately?  Is the ice thick enough to drive on? 

I work in a lab at the U of R and we're planning to collect some water samples at Kip next week (our sampling point is shown in the map, coordinates are 52.5727, -104.2091).  If the ice is thick enough we might drive on the lake but will walk it otherwise. 

Offline matiachuk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 19, 2019, 04:43 PM »
Hey guys heading to green water for the weekend and will be able to fish for about half a day Saturday does anyone have any tips or places to stay away from any info is appreciated!

Offline ben-lucky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 20, 2019, 10:05 AM »
anywhere on the west shore is a good place to fish.  the bad thing is the fish are not biting this year.  After Christmas the bite has totally stopped so good luck.  North side is good for perch, pike and burbot.  go 50 yards away from weed bed and stay 10 fow or deeper.  Burbot spawn on the north side so if you like fishing for them, march is a good time out there.

Offline matiachuk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 20, 2019, 05:59 PM »
Some burbot would be awesome but anything is good ! Thanks alot !

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 20, 2019, 06:26 PM »
is greenwater pretty good for burbot in march?  worth a 3hr trip?  i love them slimy buggers.

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Feb 21, 2019, 05:32 PM »
Are folks still able to drive on at Greenwater, Marean or Barrier Lake with a 4x4, or is it snow machine or walk out only now? ???

I have heard burbot are also found at Marean Lake, but, have not tried that lake yet.

WW

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 17, 2019, 04:48 PM »
Bump,
Just wondering what the ice fishing reports and ice thickness reports are like from this area of SK.? :unsure:

Is there alot of snow on the ice now or is it easy to get around with a vehicle? ???

WW

Offline ben-lucky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 18, 2019, 09:40 AM »
it is easy to get around.  Green water is not accessible by truck as they dug a big trench across the access point at the launch.  not sure what they are doing but hope they have it filled in soon.
Bite has been slow so far but catching enough for a meal

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Jan 28, 2020, 05:26 PM »
Hi ben-lucky,
Have they filled in the trench by the launch yet?
How's the ice fishing now? ???

WW

Offline ben-lucky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 29, 2020, 02:53 PM »
I have not been there since mid December so I am unsure on what things look like so I wont be able to help you.  I have heard that the fishing has been really slow so most guys are sledding rather than putting time in on the lake.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.