Author Topic: You need to see this!  (Read 2326 times)

Offline dawnordusk1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • face the wind.. hurts to lay the same egg twice
Re: You need to see this!
« Reply #30 on: Dec 14, 2011, 05:33 PM »
My father was a man of few words but usually had duel meanings this was a classic for safe sex and icefishing " boy , don't be a fool cover that tool !!"  I loved that oldman "tight lines and smooth alleys"dad. Ya he also loved to bowl.
Just my 2 cents.. keep it or spend it up to you

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #31 on: Dec 14, 2011, 05:40 PM »
Forget about who owns this, Not the point!

two years ago a buddy's girlfriend slipped and fell right on an auger left exactly like this. She sliced the side of her face from below her jaw up past her ear. So far they have over $200,000 in doctors bills and she is still going for more surgery.

THIS IS STUPID!

(Image removed from quote.)

One, I'll admit it is my photo.
Two, It is a photo from about 6 years ago.
Three, I'm the only one on the lake at the time.
Four, You could have said, nicely, please everyone, keep your covers on your augers, there was a terrible accident a couple of years ago where a friend got seriosly hurt. You don't have to go shouting" THIS IS STUPID!"
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline wipike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Dec 14, 2011, 06:00 PM »
I've also seen 3 times, someone pull the protector off the blade and slice their hand from the wrist to the inside of the thumb. One guy wrapped his hand with duck tape and fished for 4hrs, blood dripping everywhere.

I've done that - :wacko:

Not quite that bad, but got in a hurry and grabbed the side wrong, popped it open, and wondered where all the blood came from.  Those things are SHARP!    To make matters worse, I hadn't even popped up my shelter, so by the time I finished wrestling that with cut up fingers it looked like a massacre had happened.  My fishing buddy in a shelter over commented something about Passover, and I think he was on to something.

Offline Junior58

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #33 on: Dec 14, 2011, 06:11 PM »
I'll admit that I DO NOT out the blade cover on my after after drilling each hole. I would bet that most do not as well. What makes me more nervous are the 10" holes that are barely iced over from the night before that"ll break an ankle when walking or guys who spear and cut a big chunk of ice out with a chainsaw and leave it under a dusting of light snow for someone to step on and go through after they leave.........
2010 G3 Angler V175 FS   Yamaha 150TXR

Offline Junior58

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Dec 14, 2011, 06:22 PM »
two years ago a buddy's girlfriend slipped and fell right on an auger left exactly like this. She sliced the side of her face from below her jaw up past her ear. So far they have over $200,000 in doctors bills and she is still going for more surgery.
This is why women DO NOT belong on the ice. The only time they should be slicing anything is when they are home in the kitchen slicing up food for our (us men) dinner upon our return from a hard day of ice fishing and drinking.......  OK ..... I know, I know .......I'm just trying to lighten the mood a bit .......still true though!  ;D ;)
2010 G3 Angler V175 FS   Yamaha 150TXR

Offline dawnordusk1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • face the wind.. hurts to lay the same egg twice
« Reply #35 on: Dec 14, 2011, 06:28 PM »
I'm not going to be real popular for this buttt.... person falls on ice cuts self on uncovered auger blades.  root cause... person was not wearing proper anti slip and fall device on boots IE.. ice cleats or studs causing person to fall  down on uncovered blades. Which if covered would not have cut the person. solution.. wear proper boot anti slip and fall device and keep blades covered. Point is it wasn't the uncovered blades that caused the fall... only the means to make the cut. STUPID is as STUPID does ...sorry but that's the  logic
Just my 2 cents.. keep it or spend it up to you

Offline tinyfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Dec 14, 2011, 06:36 PM »
I'm not going to be real popular for this buttt.... person falls on ice cuts self on uncovered auger blades.  root cause... person was not wearing proper anti slip and fall device on boots IE.. ice cleats or studs causing person to fall  down on uncovered blades. Which if covered would not have cut the person. solution.. wear proper boot anti slip and fall device and keep blades covered. Point is it wasn't the uncovered blades that caused the fall... only the means to make the cut. STUPID is as STUPID does ...sorry but that's the  logic

Fine, what if someone kicked the auger...anyways, no problems here.  My auger is stored safely in the garage (with the cover on of course) seeing how all of the water in these parts is currently of the liquid variety, and falling from the sky!
Prayin' for cold

Offline eye hunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Dec 14, 2011, 06:39 PM »
Get your facts straight! I did not name any member nor did I call any one stupid! I simply used a great picture to make what most here consider to be a good point. GEEZ!
I  Looked at it and the picture is still in my mind and will be there when I pick up the Nills and put it in the sled or on the rack on the wheeler. Point taken,   ;D ;D

Offline chillinNgillin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Dec 14, 2011, 06:42 PM »
Good point gamalot never thought about it before but will now, thank you.

Offline RussianBear

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Dec 14, 2011, 06:45 PM »
I've also seen 3 times, someone pull the protector off the blade and slice their hand from the wrist to the inside of the thumb. One guy wrapped his hand with duck tape and fished for 4hrs, blood dripping everywhere.

I put electrical tape when i sliced my finger to the bone casting braided line with 8oz sinker while fishing for stripers on the ocean.

Offline RussianBear

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #40 on: Dec 14, 2011, 06:50 PM »
One, I'll admit it is my photo.
Two, It is a photo from about 6 years ago.
Three, I'm the only one on the lake at the time.
Four, You could have said, nicely, please everyone, keep your covers on your augers, there was a terrible accident a couple of years ago where a friend got seriosly hurt. You don't have to go shouting" THIS IS STUPID!"
Got to agree with Roy on this. His gear, he does what he wants, stay out of someones turf and watch your own gear and use it as pleased. We all have opinions on how gear should be handled. Maybe that picture was taken with reasons in mind like show someone the blades that come on this auger.
Its unfortunate your friends face got sliced but one has nothing to do with another.
As the saying about guns goes, guns dont kill............

Offline stevek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • STKA (MHF)
« Reply #41 on: Dec 14, 2011, 06:52 PM »
I see the picture as more of a reason to control your dogs when you bring them out. Hard for me to feel bad for a dog owner when it comes running back with a treble hook in it's mouth or a cut from an uncovered auger. All the dog lovers can hate me for saying it, but accommodating your dog isn't my responsibility when I'm fishing. If I wanted a dog with me on the ice, I'd bring one.

Offline jtk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #42 on: Dec 14, 2011, 06:58 PM »
Definately a good call. My dog kicked mine last winter and got a pretty good cut on her leg from it. After that i look over and she was trying to chew ice off the blade. Stupid dog. Lol. I always try and remember to put the cap on it now. Them things are sharp
"give a man a fish and he will eat for the day. teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat and drink beer all day"

Offline stevek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • STKA (MHF)
« Reply #43 on: Dec 14, 2011, 07:02 PM »
I should have added that I always cover my hand auger. The old Jiffy 30 doesn't get covered though, it lays in the sled. The old chipper blade is nothing like a hand auger blade.

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #44 on: Dec 14, 2011, 07:18 PM »
still don't see anything wrong with the pic   the auger is only a couple of inches past sled and its next to were hes fishing   this is stupid?  i think bringing a dog on the ice is stupid   but that's my opinion   i just love to have someones dog come over and crap by my tip ups   accidents are accidents   but to put a pic up that wasn't yours will out asking(  it seems that way with Roy's responce)   don't understand  did you think he wouldn't realize it was his pic?
proud supporter of P. E. T. A.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Dec 14, 2011, 08:28 PM »
 ??? Now I understand why I prefer to fish alone. The dog has nothing to do with this and was never hurt by it. I tried to show an honest safety hazard and got slammed for doing so. I can't delete the entire thread but I did delete the "Stolen" photo. The Mods can do as they please and dump the thread because one guy was completely correct, The sled and auger belonged to someone else and he can do what ever he wants with his stuff.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline RussianBear

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #46 on: Dec 14, 2011, 09:15 PM »
No need to delete thread or fish alone. Fishing alone is a hazard in itself.
Dont take it the wrong way, people got opinions and thats what makes the forum fun and interesting.
Rather argue here than start heated bs on ice, at least thats how i see it.

People used a dog here just as an example as they always run around off the leash.  As i've never had problems with dogs while ice fishing, i do from time to time encounter dogs and children touching my gear while open water fishing from the shore and their owners and parents usually get to hear from me. I find it rude and bad manners to touch something aint yours without permission, thats how i was brought up.

And btw, i might be wrong, but in my opinion, you didnt get slammed for the pic but more for telling someone how to handle their own gear.

Offline jascpa099

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • You don't win friends with salad.
« Reply #47 on: Dec 15, 2011, 09:56 AM »
I said it before and I'll say it again.... I just thought that there was a better way to go about saying it.  You have a valid point and experience with an accident.  Everyone appreciates the experience and story, just thought that you were a little harsh in getting your message across. 
God is great; beer is good, and people are crazy!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.