Author Topic: Make up my mind on a new Handheld GPS  (Read 1006 times)

Offline yellowhog

• IceShanty Rookie
  • My Fishing Partner
Make up my mind on a new Handheld GPS
« on: Jan 27, 2011, 11:30 PM »
Well my old handheld Lowrance is starting to show signs it's getting tired..I haven't done much research on the new units out there. I don't need a top of the line unit at all. but I do like the idea of the navionic maps..I will only be setting way points and maybe marking routes, and needing to know distance between waypoints..what do you all think..
Grant me another day on the Ice

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Make up my mind on a new Handheld GPS
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2011, 11:46 PM »
Just make sure, whatever you get, that it is Navionics compatible.  I think Lowrance may be.  I have a Garmin Map 76csx.  It is a great unit, but you can only use Garmin maps with it. :%$#!:  Hopefully other manufacturers will make theirs compatible with other maps, so people can force Garmin to do the same.

Offline Fishurman63

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2011, 05:32 AM »
Why would you want to force a huge corp. like Garmin to do something like that. I would say that if you feel that way then go buy a Lowrance. I have the same 76CSX and love it with my LakeMaster Michigan chip!!!  Don't need anything else!

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2011, 06:47 AM »
From what I've seen the new Lowrance units are pretty sweet, and WAY better than previous models. I own a Lowrance Expedition C with the Navionics chip (one of the reasons I didn't get a Garmin)

The Out & Back is the entry level unit from Lowrance at $199 and is definately Navionics compatible.  Check them out, I think you'll like them.  Much faster software and tracking, along with total accuracy and a nice sized screen. Tons of memory too along with a micro SD card slot for up to 32GB!

My lowrance is waterproof and floats if I ever dropped it in the water, pretty sure the new ones do too.  I'm sure you could get a deal on one for less than $199 on Ebay.  That's where I got my Expedition C and Nav. chip brand new, the unit was $99 and the chip was $80 ... very much worth it!

This is what I'd get:
http://www.lowrance.com/Products/Outdoors/Endura-Out-Back/Specifications/

Offline lostfishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2011, 07:22 AM »
I like my Garmin with the Inland Lakes Vision Download, good bathemetry, landmarks, etc...I have the Northeast Version and it sure has every lake that I will be fishing and a few gazillion more.....

Offline yellowhog

• IceShanty Rookie
  • My Fishing Partner
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2011, 01:29 PM »
The Garmins aren't compatible with the Navionics??  :tipup:

Offline Krazykaiser

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2011, 03:23 PM »
If your looking for a deal right now the Garmin 60 Csx's have dropped in price because of the release of the Newer 62 models.  The 60 series takes the lakemaster chips, it's waterproof , rugged and can pick up a signal even inside a house. I have had mine for nearly three seasons and love it.    I am not sure of the difference between the 60 and 62's besides the price and more internal memory.  My 2 cents  ;D

Offline mjbmxz

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Holy balls it's gonna pull us through the ice!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2011, 03:46 PM »
If your looking for a deal right now the Garmin 60 Csx's have dropped in price because of the release of the Newer 62 models.  The 60 series takes the lakemaster chips, it's waterproof , rugged and can pick up a signal even inside a house. I have had mine for nearly three seasons and love it.    I am not sure of the difference between the 60 and 62's besides the price and more internal memory.  My 2 cents  ;D

What he said.  I just picked up ath Garmin 60Csx on sale for $199.  I got the Garmin Topo Great Lakes 100 and love it, just need the darn Lakemaster chip for it.
Just Jiggle it, Jiggle It  :D

Offline yellowhog

• IceShanty Rookie
  • My Fishing Partner
« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2011, 04:00 PM »
that garmin sounds like it will do the job, but the maps of lakes in the US won't do me much good for where I fish here in Ontario..The think the one navionics map has waterways up here on it, but i'm not sure about the lakemaster

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2011, 10:18 PM »
The Garmins aren't compatible with the Navionics??  :tipup:

I don't think so, things may have changed on that one ... it wasn't compatible a few years ago when I looked into it.  I think it's because Garmin wants you to buy their maps, not Navionics. Might dig a little on that ...

Offline Cub

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 29, 2011, 05:07 AM »
I just got a lowrance endura with navionics chip.Cant seem to mark a hump on the lake map and go to it..??anybody have one that could give me any input?
I wish I got the delorme pc 60 instead...
Jig em up!

Offline yellowhog

• IceShanty Rookie
  • My Fishing Partner
« Reply #11 on: Jan 29, 2011, 09:49 AM »
the more I hear a read about the newer Lowrance's make me almost what to stay away from them..I just want the Great Lakes Map of Lake Erie for sure on whatever I purchase..

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #12 on: Jan 29, 2011, 10:26 AM »
What's wrong with the Lowrance units? No problems with mine.  My buddy had problems ... but that was indeed "operator error", not the unit.

Offline yellowhog

• IceShanty Rookie
  • My Fishing Partner
« Reply #13 on: Jan 29, 2011, 01:10 PM »
looking at customer reviews from bigger retailers, and read what they have to say about their new Lowrance purchases. Displays screen cracked first time out..Lousy customer service from Lowrance etc etc..Sure makes me rethink about the brand name to purchase.. i'm not saying you have had any trouble or issues with your unit, but overall, it's doesn't look too promising overall.

Offline Sullymon

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Where's Waldo?
« Reply #14 on: Jan 29, 2011, 02:43 PM »
I've heard so many great things about Garmin, but I just think the handheld units are lacking in many ways (besides questionable compatibility with Navionics). For some reason the buttons are placed on top, the screens seem very small, and the prices are really high from what I've seen, the list goes on. Other than that they're great ... no, seriously I think their car units are great but their fish finders and handheld units are lacking IMO.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.