Author Topic: home made ice flies  (Read 13363 times)

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: home made ice flies
« Reply #30 on: Dec 18, 2010, 01:53 AM »
It's been many years since I whacked and stuck my way up an ice wall. But yes, I did that for many years. It ended after a nasty fall....off a 20' extension ladder in my shop. Shattered my left wrist and never quite had the same degree of comfort or strength in that arm, so I moved on.

They're collector's items now. A Chouinard Piolet  and a couple of others who's name escapes me right now. Nice decorations though ;D

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline adkwiley

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Dec 18, 2010, 06:15 AM »
Does anyone know of some reference pics that represent some of the naturals that are on the bottom or occupying some part of the water column. I fish primarily in western NY, Fingerlakes, and Lake Ontario Bays and ponds.

Or...........am I thinking too much and not drinking enough? :-\

In every pan fish i catch and clean I find fairy shrimp in their stomachs.  Your best bet would be to tie up some scud patterns, they would mimic them the best I think.  If you do a google search for fairy shimp there are lots of pictures of them.  But if ya havent figured it out form past posts in the thread the hard part is gettin the weight on me to get em down. 

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #32 on: Dec 19, 2010, 01:23 PM »
Spent a few minutes on the bench. Iwas thinking of these all week ;D

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline adkwiley

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Dec 19, 2010, 01:40 PM »
Those are sexy.  i got a few days off where I have to stay home and make and build Christmas presents.  Maybe i'll sneak away to the vice to get some things tied up.  Have a new idea for a few lil guys!

Offline Live2Fish2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Dec 19, 2010, 02:18 PM »
Spent a few minutes on the bench. Iwas thinking of these all week ;D
(Image removed from quote.)

RG

Very nice job RG!  I will have to get a few pics of my new ones.  This thread makes me want to tie a bunch more up.

Offline ny_angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Mike
« Reply #35 on: Dec 19, 2010, 06:26 PM »
some nice patterns there ....

RG never seen a tying room that clean before ... must not get much use ..... ;D ;D
Where is the ice !!!!

Offline adkwiley

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Dec 19, 2010, 09:30 PM »
just want to thank everyone for keepin this thread alive!  Lets see some more pictures,  I'm hopein to get some up tomorrow.

Offline A- bomb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE ORIGINAL...ORIGINAL! Go drop A Bomb on 'em
« Reply #37 on: Dec 19, 2010, 11:19 PM »
I'M IN!!

100% pure lead...they drop like a bomb ;)
Lack of planning on your part in NO way constitutes an EMERGENCY on mine

Offline Live2Fish2

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #38 on: Dec 20, 2010, 05:57 AM »
Thos look pretty cool A-Bomb.  I like the fact that they are all lead and drop quick.  Mine aren't as heavy, so at deeper depths, I use splitshots to get down to the fish quicker.  The real question is, how do the fish like em?  I know the fish eat mine up.  It's like they are hostages and haven't ate a meal in months.  LOL!!!

Offline major257

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Dec 20, 2010, 06:55 AM »
I am going to have to clean off the bench so I can see it and learn how to post pics. I have been tying ice flies for years and most of the guys I fish with are using one of my flies on their line about 6 inches about their main lure. Some days we get more on the flies than on the jigs. It is nice to give the fish 2 options and the fly about doesn't effect the action of the jig below.

Offline AGPILOT10

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Dec 20, 2010, 07:18 AM »
RG did you make the spoons that were in the top left of your fly box?

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Dec 20, 2010, 10:36 AM »
Where do y'all get the components for your tying(led, wire, cone heads)?  Local or on-line?

I'll have to post a couple I created and maybe I can get in on the action too!
Follow the bubbles...

Offline major257

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Dec 20, 2010, 04:36 PM »
I use a the same type of materials that I use for salmon fishing the tribs of lake Ontario. Take a trip to All seasons or Melindas and you can find what ever material you need. After you know what you want you can buy stuff online.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #43 on: Dec 20, 2010, 05:43 PM »
RG did you make the spoons that were in the top left of your fly box?
Some of those are Jig-A-Whoppers and a couple are compliments of Spoonfeeder02. Steve makes some very nice jigs.

RG

Offline robcat1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #44 on: Dec 20, 2010, 07:32 PM »
My vise has a home and is never left unused. It's a relaxing past time and it fills the fly boxes for the spring and summer. GV, you sure your wife will like all the "stuff" coming out of the closet as you sift through materials? ;D

I'm lucky enough to have a spare bedroom to contain my hobby mess ???

RG
Nice looking mess, I mostly fly fish, cat fish, crappie and bass fish this is my first year on the Ice but I've been tying and making my own lures for years. I have a 20x16 out building I have made into a "fly tying,jig making and lure making tackle and bait shop, I also pour all my own jig heads as well as sell live bait and I don't know how you can keep it that clean ! congrats on the fine keeping ! but with everyone comming in and out I can't keep mine looking like that !

Offline adkwiley

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #45 on: Dec 20, 2010, 08:59 PM »
ok finally got  to a few ties this evening.  The first one I was thinking of fairy shrimp and thinkin that a group of them would probably be targeted due to their small size rather than just one single shrimp.  I tied these 3 up so they are all tied into one another so all's you have to do is tie on the top one and the bottom 2 are hanging below it.  They are pretty small tied on a size 20 hook.  The second tie is larger and a wool tail on a lead wrapped shank wrapped again in the wool with some flashing to end it off.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #46 on: Dec 21, 2010, 01:21 AM »
You guys are killing me. :roflmao:

It doesn't always look like that. In fact I had just completed the left hand bench that day and was fussing around with how to set it up. It's changed a lot since I started to work on some of my guns and reloading stuff. I'll have tyo post some un-retouched pics so you don't thing I have a Martha Stewart complex or something ;D.

I do try to keep some order, but ......

The guys over on  MFF think I'm rampant OCD...maybe a little. Nice ties everyone. I stopped at Gander in Buffalo yesterday for some materials. I'll be at it this weekend, barring good ice in my back yard.

Well, I'm up early to go running. I hope to catch some of the Lunar Eclipse while I'm out.

RG

Offline wish4fish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Dec 21, 2010, 03:36 AM »
Hey RG nice ties. Do you think they work for rainbows or brookies? I fish a couple lakes for trout and they are uncooperative, i think they work the soft shallows for invertibrates. Never fished a fly through ice and am truthfully a little green at trout through ice. Any thoughts or tips. Thanks much.

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #48 on: Dec 21, 2010, 03:46 AM »
For a guy that can't write, has no artistic bent, and medical folk tell 'you can't walk', this thread and the other one are pretty inspiring even if I can't tie a knot or do anything but fish.

Like that chain of swimps.

Freezing drizzle makes moon watching tough.
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Offline pocono

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #49 on: Dec 21, 2010, 07:32 AM »
I have been tying ice flies for years and its a lot of fun and they work great.  I put a wax worm on them and a split shot about 6 inches above and they jig great and work as good as anything out there for panfish and surprisingly a bass at times.  You also save a lot of money.

This is a great post and the guys can get ideals from the pictures,  this will enhance the sport of icefishing.

Offline ny_angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Mike
« Reply #50 on: Dec 21, 2010, 04:15 PM »
I have been tying for years and if i can find my dig camera i will post some pics .. I think its on my tying bench ... somewhere ....... I teach a beginners class and intermediate class for my TU chapter .. Tye at the catts museum a few times a year and taught  a collage class a few years back .
Where is the ice !!!!

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #51 on: Dec 21, 2010, 04:26 PM »
Some one over on MFF got me thinking about tying in reverse last summer. I really want to try these reverse black stone flies.

Sorry, but I don't fish for trout...open water or hard water.

RG

Offline wolverine

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If I ain't gettin em I'm Lookin
« Reply #52 on: Dec 22, 2010, 08:33 AM »
Lot's of good looking bugs. adkwiley, could you give a recipe or directions on tying those shrimp. Like to add them to my arsenal and have never tied anything like them before. They really interest me. I just know that they will kill them especially in a group. Some real talent out there that's for sure.

Offline flytyr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #53 on: Dec 22, 2010, 08:44 AM »
Great job on those flys. I tie flys for ice fishing too. I've tied everything from sabiki rigs to jigs like A-bomb makes. I will have to post some pics once I tie a bunch.

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #54 on: Dec 22, 2010, 05:07 PM »
Yeah....share the shrimp recipe, please :thumbsup:

RG

Offline Celt6

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #55 on: Dec 22, 2010, 06:29 PM »
These are all nice guys, how do you fish them? I fly fish, so I know what i would do with them in April, how about thru an 8 inch hole? jig them?

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #56 on: Dec 23, 2010, 01:11 AM »
I fish the smaller flies as droppers above a heavier jig. Some of the weightier flies can be jigged as you normally would.

RG

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #57 on: Dec 23, 2010, 01:26 AM »
RG good to see your tying some good looking flies.  Did any of you guys try beadhead flies like the copper john pattern?  I did this a few years back on shy gills and it worked great!  Helped having a couple different color patterns, and the bodies were weighted with lead wrap.  Anyways, great pattern for shy fish. ;D
TEAM ALASKA

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #58 on: Dec 23, 2010, 01:48 AM »
Yup!

RG

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #59 on: Dec 23, 2010, 02:42 AM »
WOW! i just got into jigging, and this is sensory overload! LOL! they look like they would be great!
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.