Author Topic: Sharpening Lazer Hand Auger blades  (Read 13641 times)

Offline Tightlines01

• IceShanty Rookie
Sharpening Lazer Hand Auger blades
« on: Nov 17, 2009, 10:50 PM »
Hey all,

It's getting to be that time of year and I recall that my hand auger I use during early ice was getting a bit dull last year.  I've been looking at sending the blades in to get sharpened and someplaces say they can sharpen them, however I read on Strikemasters website that they say the Lazer blades can not be sharpened.  This really doesn't seem logical to me, but perhaps it has to do with the angle or something....

To those that have a Lazer hand auger, have you had the blades resharpened?  If you've tried it, was it worth it (i.e. did they stay sharp fairly long compared to new blades)?  I've got two sets of blades for it because I waited too long the last time and ice season was upon me so I just bought new.  I'd really like to avoid that this year if possible.

What's your experiences?

Thanks

Offline dcso3009

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Sharpening Lazer Hand Auger blades
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2009, 06:23 AM »
What I suggest is to buy a 2nd pair of blades and then have the originals sharpened.  Some of the local bait shops have an exchange program.  I have done the exchange thing in the past, but now have 2 sets, and have them sharpened at a local shop.  I have not used the locally sharpened blades yet, but the ones I got on exchange (same as you can send in to) worked just like new ones.

The chipper on my Jiffy I do myself with a file, then diamond stone, then ceramic, then ultra-fine synthetic sapphire stones. 

Offline junglejim

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2009, 08:20 AM »
I had a local bait shop say he could sharpen my 6" lazer blades while I waited . Big mistake, he really screwed them up. Be careful who you have sharpen your blades. I ended up buying a new set, so far they are stillworking well.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2009, 12:34 PM »
DONT DO IT! Buy a new pair and keep the dull ones for spares. You will never get them right.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 18, 2009, 01:09 PM »
I sharpen/touch up all my auger blades myself but its just to touch them up as my blades are in good shape. I did get a nice size knick in my Finbore blade when the cover slipped off and I easily got it out. I don't use any grinders or anything just diamond files and a fine stone. If you follow the angles and make shure to remove the bur on the edge they will get just as sharp as new. I sharpen my Finbore, Lazer, Jiffy and my dads Mora the same way.

Offline Tightlines01

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Nov 18, 2009, 06:24 PM »
Thanks for the feedback guys, I was debating sending them into somewhere like fish307.com because they say they'll swap out any blades.

The other option I've been thinking about is instead of buying another roughly $25.00 set of blades, is to just bite the bullet and buy a Nils.  I always heard excellent things about the Nils.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 18, 2009, 07:07 PM »
If you don't want to spend $20 on a set of Lazer blades you will not like spending twice as much on a new head for the Nils or getting the Nils sharpened. You can find good deals on blades at the end of the season or on fleabay.

Offline davef

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 18, 2009, 07:52 PM »
Over the past 25 years I've always gotten my old spoon and mora blades sharpened by Bud Hull at iceaugers.coms. I currently have a lazer but they have not yet needed sharpening.

He has always done a great job and he does guarantee his work. He charges about $10 per set of blades and that included return postage. His web ad says he can sharpen all kinds of blades.

I would highly recommend him as I have been well pleased.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #8 on: Nov 18, 2009, 08:10 PM »
I've resharpend my 8" hand auger blades.  It's was more like a touch up on the blade edge after two years of use.   It's drills just as good as new.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline soup

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 18, 2009, 09:40 PM »
I have a local saw shop sharpen my blades and he does a great job. I have them sharpened every other year.
good things come to those who wait......Im still waiting!!!

Offline h2.0shaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Nov 18, 2009, 09:58 PM »
Ive ruined a few sets of Lazer blades myself. Some guys can do it correctly. Saw shop is a good idea, blade exchange is good too. When the Lazers first came out the replacements were only $15 that was nice. What are they now?

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #11 on: Nov 19, 2009, 12:32 AM »
  I just bought a box of 6 sets, just in case they start making them in China, everytime you turn around one of your favorite tools or fishing products is gone fore ever and you wished you had stocked up while you had the chance, my 2 cents!!!
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline jackpine

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 19, 2009, 01:20 PM »
Not sure why Strikemaster claims that their Lazer Blades can not be re-sharpened??? They can be??? The United States of America has grown over the past 200+yrs. by innovation.If there is a way to do something we proud Americans will find a way. If we don't someone else(chineez) will.

In these days of poor economic conditions a need for more innovation is necessary to grow.

Just my  $.02

Fran Connelly 8)

Keep Your Auger Sharp

Offline ny_angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Mike
« Reply #13 on: Nov 19, 2009, 05:52 PM »
I have a lazer auger and i bought the sharpener right from strikemaster.Its good for touching up never used it so bad that i nicked the blades. Seems to me if a person took there time with a ceramic stick they could sharpen them by hand.
Where is the ice !!!!

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: Nov 19, 2009, 08:26 PM »
Unfortunately we live in a disposable world.  Lots of times it is almost as cheap to buy new as it is to get something repaired.

-Jeff

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 19, 2009, 08:44 PM »
I've never understood why people always say it's impossible to sharpen them yourselves.. What about the people who actually do resharpen them? Do you really think they have some magic $100,000 machine that does it?? My guess is that it's always some guy in the back room who knows how to work a whetstone or sharpening stick. I have done my Mora blades with amazing results. Of course its harder with others because they are curved, but as long as you keep the angle right you shouldget good results. And never EVER EVER touch the bottom of the blade that contacts the ice!!!

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 19, 2009, 08:50 PM »
send your old blades to strike master and they will send you new ones. look at there web site. no sense trying to sharpen them. they never stay sharp long once they have been resharpened.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline mud_n_fun

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Well? Where's the fish!!
« Reply #17 on: Nov 19, 2009, 09:06 PM »
I've never understood why people always say it's impossible to sharpen them yourselves.. What about the people who actually do resharpen them? Do you really think they have some magic $100,000 machine that does it?? My guess is that it's always some guy in the back room who knows how to work a whetstone or sharpening stick. I have done my Mora blades with amazing results. Of course its harder with others because they are curved, but as long as you keep the angle right you shouldget good results. And never EVER EVER touch the bottom of the blade that contacts the ice!!!
Yes but many of these people don't know what a wet stone is.
I don't have th patients to type out the process as I learned it over a few years watching my father sharpen his knife. Maybe someone else will care to short form it.

Offline andercee

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Nov 20, 2009, 07:35 AM »
I'd find someone locally who can resharpen them for you.  I found a guy that will sharpen my auger for 3 bucks a blade.

Offline screamin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Nov 20, 2009, 07:47 AM »
Strikemaster makes a hand sharpener for about 10 bucks you can get from them off there website. to me it looks like a fillet knife sharpener but i can testify it works great!!!!!

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #20 on: Nov 20, 2009, 08:11 AM »
Here's a direct quote from the Strikemaster website:

[Lazer Blades can be touched up, but not sharpened to their original edge. You may send your dull blades to StrikeMaster for exchange of new blades (click here for details)./i]
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline screamin

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Nov 20, 2009, 08:18 AM »
youre exactly correct but if you have used lazer blades much you are very aware that when they decide to go dull it's instant so to have a ten dollar sharpener in your pocket to bring the edge back on your blades(not entirely to factory) will mean you keep fishing or go home. Or walk over with that real sad face to a guy you never met to ask if you can borrow his.

Offline Nor Easter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just an old coot takin a Li'l Crappie on the ice
« Reply #22 on: Nov 20, 2009, 10:44 AM »
Here's a direct quote from the Strikemaster website:

[Lazer Blades can be touched up, but not sharpened to their original edge. You may send your dull blades to StrikeMaster for exchange of new blades (click here for details)./i]

That is right on the money. There is no way any of us without the right equipment to put a factory edge on the blades. Does not matter what kind of blade that is. The factory uses a milling machine or special grinder with the blade in a jig made specifically for the purpose. I found one online and it was over $400 just for the jig attachment!  :o The blades are actually hollow ground which we cannot do with a carbide sharpener nor a stone or diamond file.

That double edge Strikemaster sharpener will help out in a pinch but the more you use it the less effective it gets AND it also makes it more difficult for a proper resharpening further down the road because it cuts the bottom as well as the top. I prefer taking a stone to the top-side only. I am referring to Mora blades but the same applies to any double edged cutting blade.
Caveat Emptor et cum grano salis
I enjoy helping people out,,, which way did you come in?

Offline Mainehazmt

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Nov 20, 2009, 11:13 AM »
it used to be you could get lazer blades all day on ebay for 10 bucks including shipping in the summer  but seems like the past 2 years they have dried up    Im all set for a few more years befor I need to get new ones   One of my orders suprised me I got 2 sets for 5 bucks   and I always start out the year with new blades and also bring a spare set and allen wrenches with me    to far to drive back home for something as foolish as having dull blades
I am a Veteran Not a Terrorist!

Offline jackpine

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #24 on: Nov 21, 2009, 03:22 PM »

Well my machine did not cost $100K but is was well over $1,000 and I can sharpen Lazers or most any other auger blade(not Nils)

It Can Be Done.

Fran 8)
Keep Your Auger Sharp

Offline MeatHunter737

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • GutPileStyle
« Reply #25 on: Nov 22, 2009, 09:29 PM »
  I just bought a box of 6 sets, just in case they start making them in China, everytime you turn around one of your favorite tools or fishing products is gone fore ever and you wished you had stocked up while you had the chance, my 2 cents!!!

bought my OWN first auger last year....blades were "made in China"......they didnt last a whole season before they became chipped, dulled, and unusable....I actually left the ice one day, went to Bass Pro, and bought replacements from Sweedan......and told myself I would buy another set before I get out in '10...well this thread has reminded me to buy backups for my replacements....just in case...

Offline GoJoe

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Dec 06, 2010, 08:50 PM »
Jackpine/Fran I know you don't sharpen just anyone's blades but, it would be a fishin if you could sharpen mine! I don't have enough posts to contact via PM.
Lazer 8"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.