Author Topic: Ice Fishing Superstitions.  (Read 13841 times)

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
Re: Ice Fishing Superstitions.
« Reply #60 on: Nov 02, 2009, 09:57 PM »
 I always drill my holes in a triangle pattern and mound snow up with my boots on the first hole drilled! I don't know why I do it, just do! Makes it easy to find my starting point, like the days without GPS and fishfinders I guess!  I notice alot of strange things and strange people on the ice, it's kind of comical actually! Anotherr reason why I like ice fishing, good fun!
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #61 on: Nov 02, 2009, 10:02 PM »
Ya ever notice any hot pink grubs.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #62 on: Nov 02, 2009, 10:06 PM »
Ya ever notice any hot pink grubs.
Have only heard of the famous Hot Pink Grubs! But after last winters success on them, I'm sure there bound to be everywhere this year!   ;D
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline pikeking

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #63 on: Nov 02, 2009, 10:57 PM »
I always clip my sounder on my jacket. I lost it last year down a hole and sat with my jig rod and a fishtv til I got it back. My friends thought I was nuts but it was well worth it. Got the big fish of the day out of that hole. The sounder is clipped to my visor in my truck waiting to come back out.

My buddy Stinkfinger has a weird one. The first hole drilled of the day,,,he puts his head in it to see if there is anything there. I know he can't see down there,,,but we wait for it every time out.
If fishing was work I'd never be sick!

Offline jpicks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #64 on: Nov 02, 2009, 11:07 PM »
What is it with lady GaGa? It's not the first time she/he has come up. Are we going metro on this site? I have a superstition of listening to Mindless Self Indulgence on my way to a lake in the winter. I won't put you guys through there music.

Along with my other 2 previously mentioned superstitions, when we were building our shack last winter, It seemed like the song was on the radio every 5 minutes.  And when we went out fishing, it usually came on the radio atleast once during the trip (this was in the height of the song's popularity).  We noticed that whenever the song came on, we caught fish on that trip...and when the song didn't come on, we didn't catch fish (which the song had absolutely nothing to do with).  Then we made a point of burning it onto a cd, and if it didn't come on the radio by the time we got to the lake, we threw it on real quick.  The only time we got skunked after that was the time we forgot the cd.

I'm not a big fan of the song by any means, but hey...a guy's gotta do what a guy's gotta do to catch fish...

Offline jascpa099

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • You don't win friends with salad.
« Reply #65 on: Nov 03, 2009, 06:44 AM »

My buddy Stinkfinger has a weird one. The first hole drilled of the day,,,he puts his head in it to see if there is anything there. I know he can't see down there,,,but we wait for it every time out.

THAT i would LOVE to see....post a video of that once we get some ice!!!
God is great; beer is good, and people are crazy!

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #66 on: Nov 03, 2009, 06:50 PM »
I forgot one...

I ONLY drink Coors light on the ice. If someone gets a minnow in your beer, you MUST drink it. Dumping a bait beer on the ice is worse than an albatross around your neck. 

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #67 on: Nov 03, 2009, 07:55 PM »
I guess I'd rather drink a beer with a minnow in it over a handful of spikes and sawdust in my beer. We need a puke smiley on IS.

Offline topher7694

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Jiffy ProStaff/PK Lures ProStaff/Clam Powerstick
« Reply #68 on: Nov 03, 2009, 09:38 PM »
 :sick: :sick:

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #69 on: Nov 03, 2009, 11:15 PM »
Never pee onto the ice. Even if you have to walk a mile to shore... Never pee onto the ice.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #70 on: Nov 04, 2009, 03:36 AM »
Never pee onto the ice. Even if you have to walk a mile to shore... Never pee onto the ice.

I bought a urinal for winter camping and it's pretty nice year round, especially on them rainy nights. I even use it ice fishing too!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline jascpa099

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #71 on: Nov 04, 2009, 06:15 AM »

I learned this lesson the hard way.  It was first ice (and crowded) and I had to pee.  Well rather then go outside in front of everyone, I tried going inside my closed Clam Guide.  Well, long story short is that the splash of the pee was hitting my heater.  And for the rest of the afternoon it smelled like burnt pee.  I fished with the shack open for the rest of the day and cleaned the heater as soon as it was cooled down... not cool.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #72 on: Nov 04, 2009, 06:24 AM »

I learned this lesson the hard way.  It was first ice (and crowded) and I had to pee.  Well rather then go outside in front of everyone, I tried going inside my closed Clam Guide.  Well, long story short is that the splash of the pee was hitting my heater.  And for the rest of the afternoon it smelled like burnt pee.  I fished with the shack open for the rest of the day and cleaned the heater as soon as it was cooled down... not cool.

Another lesson, don't pee into the wind! :D
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline jascpa099

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #73 on: Nov 04, 2009, 06:46 AM »

Another lesson, don't pee into the wind! :D

Or how about not falling for the 'ole "Your a man when you can pee over your head while laying on your back"

Offline timschrots

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #74 on: Nov 04, 2009, 09:39 AM »
I always have my sounder clipped to my carhart jacket zipper!!  Pink one too.  It's manly.

After I set up the shack and drill my holes I listen to Da Yoopers and other outdoorsy/ fishing music while I set up my lines and tip-ups.

Offline husb0023

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Punching Holes in Wisconsin Since 1986
« Reply #75 on: Nov 04, 2009, 09:47 AM »
Always poor out some booze for your buddies that aren't there before leaving.

Offline stoutbait

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • In ice we trust... sometimes
« Reply #76 on: Nov 04, 2009, 10:10 AM »
AC/DC back in black, It started out on lake Erie trolling for walleyes. That song would come on we would have a hook up. Works on lakes back in Wisconsin too. As for peeing on the ice we took an old Christmas tree and drilled it into the ice near our shack, brought the land to us. Song works, results on the tree vary.
Tight lines and safe fishing.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #77 on: Nov 04, 2009, 03:51 PM »
I write my name in the snow and have noticed no ill effects on my fishing mojo. ;D

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #78 on: Nov 04, 2009, 03:59 PM »
Make a sacrifice to the gods of the ice volcanoe!

;D
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline johnnyb

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • fish on fish on fish on!
« Reply #79 on: Nov 04, 2009, 08:54 PM »
Definitely grab some food if they're not biting...long time staple for me.

One that started to work this summer, that I'm very interested in trying, is, believe it or not....having the wife text me :o  Was getting some major hookups this year when she'd text...so gonna try it this winter!  I know...it could backlash pretty bad...but we'll see ;)

Take a hit off the flask/beer after a fish is caught.

Oh..almost forgot!! Gotta wear the lucky hat/mitts.  My favourite mitts are no longer the most practical to wear, but they always come with me...good as a backup pair, better as my good luck  :D

The harder the better!

Offline MookieB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Nov 04, 2009, 09:28 PM »
People would always tell me not to spit in the hole, so being the type of guy I am I always spit in every hole I fish. No matter what spot I pick for my kid, it is the hot spot and once he limits out I can fish there. That's about it.

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #81 on: Nov 05, 2009, 06:25 AM »
Johnnyb-It even works in NY, wierd. It works best when you tell them not to bother calling because there won't be any service where you are.

Offline timschrots

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #82 on: Nov 05, 2009, 08:40 AM »
My first season of ice fishing about 8 years ago, I used to do this fish dance every morning.  It was originally caused by residual booze in my blood stream from the night before and from my group of friends egging me on.

" Do the fish dance timmy!!  Lets catch some fish!!"

I remember it working really well, so it continued the reast of the season.  Then the next season came and I couldn't remember how to do it and I'm still angry to this day that I forgot.

I think it was a jackie chan, michael jackson, bill cosby, hand stand type of combo.

Offline tightliner812

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #83 on: Nov 05, 2009, 05:13 PM »
I have one . Never walk out on the ice first or let anybody that I am fishing with go first . No matter if we were the first ones there .  At first ice it does matter if I have already been out on the the lake the day before or not. this does change about the time I start perch fishing thow.   :tipup:

Offline blackbeast

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #84 on: Nov 06, 2009, 06:25 AM »
I have lots but some I don't even realise that I am doing them. But when this topic was posted I started thinking about it and I am more superstitious then most. First I always pee at the parking lot be for I do anything else, don't unload don't get dressed nothing, even if I'm driving out. Always drill a new hole even if there is a million out there, bad mojo to use some one elses honeyhole, even if it was my honeyhole from the day be for. Allays set up tip ups befor even thinking of setting up the shack. Use only my skimmer I will not use anyone elses bad mojo. Gotta sit on the right side of the sled. Always drop the first jig all the way to the bottom and reel it back up out of the hole. always keep the first fish, if you throw it back down to the hole your fishing he will go back and tell his Friends to stay away from that hole. If it dose go back you have to transplant it. Always have at least one cigar within the first hour. If we see a bald eagle its going to be a good day, if we don't we wont catch a single fish. If Brad Paisley's song I'm gonna miss her (the fishin song) on the ride to the lake its going to be a great day. If it plays on the ice there is sure to be a fish on. Another one that as soon as it plays on the ice there is sure to be a large fish landed and that's George Thorogood's One burbon, One scotch, and One Beer. The last thing that I need to do so that the next trip is going to be good is: pee on the lake behind where the shack was set up at. ow ya the other thing that isn't really a superstition but seams to happen every trip is some thing brakes. Either the tires on the trailer go flat, or the sled won't start. One time my buddy broke the lamp, the minnow net goes down the hole. something always happens, chock it up as bad luck or superstition or just mojo or what but it always happens. I guess reading over this I got some issues!!!!
thats the biggest smelt i've ever seen 

Offline jascpa099

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #85 on: Nov 06, 2009, 06:41 AM »
With all of your superstitions... do you think it is hard to just fish and have fun?

Offline blackbeast

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #86 on: Nov 06, 2009, 07:19 AM »
I always have fun just fishing. I don't think I have ever not had fun fishing. Like I said earlier I don't even realize most of the time that I am doing it its more of a routine for me then anything. But like I also said thinking about it now it could be construed as superstitious.
thats the biggest smelt i've ever seen 

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #87 on: Nov 06, 2009, 05:28 PM »
I always have fun just fishing. I don't think I have ever not had fun fishing. Like I said earlier I don't even realize most of the time that I am doing it its more of a routine for me then anything. But like I also said thinking about it now it could be construed as superstitious.
There's plenty of us like that. I have a million exact routines when I make a trip to the ice. We're all creatures of habit. Just like the fishy's

Offline tip-uptwo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #88 on: Nov 06, 2009, 06:09 PM »
I know I am in for one heck of a day of catching if I see an owl the night before an outing or the morning of. Been proven!
Andrew

Offline bigred1974

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #89 on: Nov 06, 2009, 07:04 PM »
I have lots but some I don't even realise that I am doing them. But when this topic was posted I started thinking about it and I am more superstitious then most. First I always pee at the parking lot be for I do anything else, don't unload don't get dressed nothing, even if I'm driving out. Always drill a new hole even if there is a million out there, bad mojo to use some one elses honeyhole, even if it was my honeyhole from the day be for. Allays set up tip ups befor even thinking of setting up the shack. Use only my skimmer I will not use anyone elses bad mojo. Gotta sit on the right side of the sled. Always drop the first jig all the way to the bottom and reel it back up out of the hole. always keep the first fish, if you throw it back down to the hole your fishing he will go back and tell his Friends to stay away from that hole. If it dose go back you have to transplant it. Always have at least one cigar within the first hour. If we see a bald eagle its going to be a good day, if we don't we wont catch a single fish. If Brad Paisley's song I'm gonna miss her (the fishin song) on the ride to the lake its going to be a great day. If it plays on the ice there is sure to be a fish on. Another one that as soon as it plays on the ice there is sure to be a large fish landed and that's George Thorogood's One burbon, One scotch, and One Beer. The last thing that I need to do so that the next trip is going to be good is: pee on the lake behind where the shack was set up at. ow ya the other thing that isn't really a superstition but seams to happen every trip is some thing brakes. Either the tires on the trailer go flat, or the sled won't start. One time my buddy broke the lamp, the minnow net goes down the hole. something always happens, chock it up as bad luck or superstition or just mojo or what but it always happens. I guess reading over this I got some issues!!!!

signed,
MONK
lol

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.