Author Topic: Ice Fishing Superstitions.  (Read 13844 times)

Offline FishingNewEngland

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing New England
Re: Ice Fishing Superstitions.
« Reply #30 on: Oct 29, 2009, 08:57 AM »
Before my dad couldn't ice fish anymore, we'd always do the same thing. As soon as we were done setting up, we'd chant "Kali Mah Shack Te Day" (from a Raiders of the Lost Ark movie) then walk away from the traps. We'd usually walk to the other side of the lake and back. 9 times out of 10 we'd have a great day after that.

I still do it but it hasn't worked since my dad stopped fishing. I wish he was still healthy enough for it.  :'(

Offline pennreels

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Oct 29, 2009, 09:26 AM »
Just as the sun is rising I usually do a Fish Dance for good luck.

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
« Reply #32 on: Oct 29, 2009, 09:41 AM »
First fish of the year has to have a pic taken. First fish of the day is time to toast the fish gods with Icehole Schnaps.Gotta have a line in the water before the heater/stove gets fired up........

Offline jimmygunns

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Add more bacon, son!
« Reply #33 on: Oct 29, 2009, 12:51 PM »
No lotion on my hands!!  I don't care if there is blood pouring out from the cracks & my wife gets mad from the bloodstains on the nice hand towels (You know, the ones for looks that we all use anyway!) in the bathroom!  I tell her just to get blood red towels then!

Offline toddyrotten

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Nothing is idiot proof. Idiots are resourceful.
« Reply #34 on: Oct 29, 2009, 01:21 PM »
Animal sacrifice >:D

Offline Irish Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Oct 29, 2009, 01:25 PM »
I don't eat breakfast, coffee only. How can you catch food if you're not hungry.

Offline bootsnthejeep

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Oct 29, 2009, 01:57 PM »
Spit on the bait. Everytime. If I forget one and realize it a couple traps later, I'll go back and re-set.

That was one of my Mom's things. She's right full of old superstitious stuff like that. But, mom told me to do it, gotta do what mom says. =) Even if you are pushing 30.

And I do prefer to drill my own holes. It all goes into the same water, but I think of it almost like dousing or water-witching. Pick an angle from the shack and start walking. Walk along till a spot feels right and drill a hole. Keep going for the next one. I try to set my traps in a straight line.

Boots

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #37 on: Oct 29, 2009, 03:12 PM »
Spit on the bait. Everytime. If I forget one and realize it a couple traps later, I'll go back and re-set.

That was one of my Mom's things. She's right full of old superstitious stuff like that. But, mom told me to do it, gotta do what mom says. =) Even if you are pushing 30.

And I do prefer to drill my own holes. It all goes into the same water, but I think of it almost like dousing or water-witching. Pick an angle from the shack and start walking. Walk along till a spot feels right and drill a hole. Keep going for the next one. I try to set my traps in a straight line.

Boots

A friend on mine does the same thing, spits on the bait every time.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline dooberhoopa

• IceShanty Rookie
  • ridin' fishin' or huntin' i just wanna be outside
« Reply #38 on: Oct 29, 2009, 03:27 PM »
I always set up one tip up that i cant see sitting in the shanty with out moving...not sure why, maybe so i can keep the blood goin, but the biggest fish always ends up on that one
Team MIRC NYRC chapter....ROCK BASS ON
The Official Medicine Man of MIRC
Tis better to have fished and lied than never fished at all

Offline meatman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #39 on: Oct 29, 2009, 03:29 PM »
always drill fresh holes, even if its only a foot away from where you fished yesterday.  same long sleeved leinenkugles t-shirt.  always announce to the fish when you are going to have cheese danish and coffee. :tipup:

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #40 on: Oct 29, 2009, 06:14 PM »
When using a 5 gallon bucket for the minnow bucket & a skimmer for the minnow net, never ever ever ever ever leave the skimmer in the bucket when dipping out the minnows it is very very very bad luck.

Never use braid line on the ice fishing poles & only use ice fishing line that is designated for ice fishing.(Needs to have ice in the name like Ice Magic, Micro Ice, etc.)

First and foremost, I always drop a berkley crappie nipple down every ice hole I dirll. (Figure the scent attracks fish)

Offline mealworm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • summer sucks
« Reply #41 on: Oct 29, 2009, 06:23 PM »
i listen to certain songs on cds on my way to the lake, i never spit near my holes, i also have a lucky carhart hoodie i wear, never litter 

Offline crappiekid24

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Oct 29, 2009, 09:55 PM »
More of a preseason superstition but I wont take out the ice gear until there is solid ice on the lakes. New line and organizing all gets done the day before the 1st trip on the ice. If I pull it out early the ice gets delayed.

Offline FishRMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Oct 29, 2009, 10:07 PM »
When I fish with my buddies it's common knowledge the if someone catches a fish the rest of the guys take a drink.  If they don't it's considered cheating yourself and you won't catch anymore fish.

Offline northwestslayer

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • gone and fishin
« Reply #44 on: Oct 30, 2009, 09:26 AM »
Always put the fish back through a different hole!

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #45 on: Oct 30, 2009, 12:53 PM »

I always toss them down my buddies hole... but that's more-so to tick him off as opposed to being a superstition...LOL

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #46 on: Oct 30, 2009, 06:15 PM »

I do that too.  I just don't want the fish eyeballing me while I'm dropping my line back down the hole.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #47 on: Oct 31, 2009, 10:45 AM »
always pick up garbage you find. the 'ice gods' will smile upon you! ;D
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline Stump Puller

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Oct 31, 2009, 11:17 AM »
First of all, if my first fish is a 15" perch, theres no way the ice fishing gods are going to get it. lol  I give my minnows a good talkin' to, telling them they had better do there job, or there will be serious consequences. lol
Be safe out there, and set the iron.

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #49 on: Oct 31, 2009, 11:26 AM »
id always get gas the night before the smell you know plus never yell honkerz  HE WAS MY DADS FISHIN BUDDY and he didnt like kids if you did you were sure to get skunked, anymore i dont let things bother me lol well maybe most things lol  mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #50 on: Oct 31, 2009, 12:01 PM »
First of all, if my first fish is a 15" perch, theres no way the ice fishing gods are going to get it. lol  I give my minnows a good talkin' to, telling them they had better do there job, or there will be serious consequences. lol

Well, if I caught a 14+ Perch, I wouldn't release it either. But as Pooley said about picking up garbage, only I'd be policing the area pretty darn good to make up for it! ;D
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline chilly feet

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got bait?
« Reply #51 on: Nov 01, 2009, 04:32 AM »
i always have atleast 2 pair of gloves.1 for running the auger,
and 1 when im just fishing.

i have certain tip-ups that i seem to have better luck with
than others.and for some reason they seem to catch more fish.

dont leave the hot hands behind.those things are a life saver.

Offline boomdoggie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Nov 01, 2009, 05:14 AM »
If the fishing is slow stop for lunch , always seem to bite after the hot chocolate is poured and the sandwich open

Offline trebmaster

• IceShanty Rookie
  • i fish therefore i am
« Reply #53 on: Nov 01, 2009, 06:43 AM »
I will never leave fish for fish
Fahrenheit 32
_____  _____

>))))>

Offline Madpuppy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • CAGA HOKUWA
« Reply #54 on: Nov 01, 2009, 07:40 AM »
When jigging and the fishing is slow get out of the shanty to go to the restroom, the fish will start biting for sure. Of coarse the bite stops the minute I get back in.
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

Offline SuperX2Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Nov 02, 2009, 07:52 PM »
I have a few.

1. Fish always down another hole, if I fish by myself, I cut another hole right next to me.

2. No holes can be drilled with a coat on.

3. I have to listen to the "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald" while setting up the shack.

Offline jpicks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Nov 02, 2009, 08:31 PM »
Always

1. Throw a coin down the first hole of the day (or into the water during open water season).
2. Never say "I got one!" until it's actually on the ice.  "Fish on" or something equivalent is ok.
3. Make sure that Lady GaGa's "Poker Face" plays atleast once on the radio/cd player on the drive out (Don't ask...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAoPJxTvZOQ

Offline NH Trout Fisherman

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #57 on: Nov 02, 2009, 08:49 PM »
I agree with a few others have mentioned and have a few of my own...

#1.  I always prefer to be set up before first light, and feel I may have missed a good one if I get a later start

#2.  I don't like to set tip-ups any where close to where I or my fishing buddies are sitting/waiting

#3. When trout fishing shallow water....Keep quiet...I don't like people banging on the ice/ riding atv's near me on shallow water while fishing...

#4. If the bite is slow go use the bathroom or have something to eat...The fish always bite more when you're not paying attention....

Just a few I live/fish by.... ;)

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #58 on: Nov 02, 2009, 08:52 PM »
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Nov 02, 2009, 09:50 PM »
What is it with lady GaGa? It's not the first time she/he has come up. Are we going metro on this site? I have a superstition of listening to Mindless Self Indulgence on my way to a lake in the winter. I won't put you guys through there music.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.