The Ice Fishing MA is board

Author Topic: Ashmere  (Read 687 times)

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Ashmere
« on: Jan 21, 2024, 06:32 PM »
This morning I ice fished Lake Ashmere (in Hinsdale/Peru) with Mogli and his girlfriend Tiffany.

It was sunny but cold (about 10 degrees) and there was a fairly stiff wind the whole time (which picked up in the afternoon).

Fortunately, ice conditions were good - - about 6 inches of good ice, generally covered in about 3" of snow - - with only a few slushy patches.

We arrived about 10:45 AM & hiked across the Lake toward the dam (where small mouth are supposed to lurk) and were in position about 11:15 AM.

Apart from some walkers, we essentially had the Lake to ourselves  - - although we did see a few guys were leaving as we got onto the Lake.

Fishing action was sporadic. 

We had a fair number of flags, but our flag-to-fish ratio (particularly my own) wasn't great, although we did end up catching  some fish.

I ended up with one decent (for Ashmere) 9" perch and a 17"pickerel (both on tip ups), while Mogli hauled in three or four perch (also on tip ups).

But Tiffany was the one who caught the big fish of the day (a 2+ pound large mouth bass) while jigging, as well as a perch (also while jigging).

In addition to the fishing, we also had a pleasant lunch - - steak, kim chi, a sauce pan of Dal Makhani and another of Paneer Makhani, some fruit (apples/clementines), cocoa roasted almonds, beer (me Guiness /Mogli & Tiffany Sea Dog) and a hot toddy (lemon ginger tea with honey and rum).

A pair of EPO's (a man and a woman) hiked across the Lake to check our licenses around 1 PM and chatted for awhile.

We eventually started picking up our gear around 3:30 PM and were back at our cars to drive home about 4:45 PM (just as the sun was setting).

Offline Rangerboats391

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Ashmere
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2024, 08:26 AM »
good times ;)

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2024, 08:35 AM »
Well done.  I believe the two EPOs are a couple.  They checked me twice last year, once on Ashmere and once smelting Onota.
westernmas on the finder

Offline Rangerboats391

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2024, 02:48 PM »
was his name nick? the epo

Offline bogtrotter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2024, 04:41 PM »
was his name nick? the epo

Sorry, didn't catch his name (or hers for that matter). 

Relatively young (late 30's/early 40's) with a mustache.

Both of them were very pleasant.

Offline Rangerboats391

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2024, 08:06 AM »
sounds like him, great guy fished with him for years ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.