New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Sodus Bay  (Read 4208 times)

Offline jmny004

• Team IceShanty Regular
Sodus Bay
« on: Feb 10, 2007, 11:53 AM »
Have a group of friends coming in from Buffalo this weekend (F,S,S)to fish Sodus. We will be staying at the Point. Have very limited ice fishing knowledge of Sodus. Would appreciate some help in the following areas of the bay.

Second creek
third creek
Nicholas Point
Oak orchard marine
west side of leroy and area in between all three islands
Cutters?

Need to know what access area are available in these locations (directions) parking availability and if there are any restrictions at these location.

A report of the ice/snow conditions at the various locations would also be helpful. Additionally any advice on the lure/color/bait/presentation/depth to fish would be appreciated. The majority of these guys will be jigging but a few might set tip ups. For the last ten years we traveled to either Simcoe or Lake Nippising in Canada. Hopefully I will be able to persuade them to make Sodus bay the yearly outing.

As I stated, I have limited knowledge of Sodus as it pertains to ice fishing, but have many years of fishing open water for bass. Will reciprocate info.

Thanks
Jm
[email protected]
you can pm or email

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Sodus Bay
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2007, 02:06 PM »
That's a truckload of info you're looking for.
Start by reviewing the Sodus Bay thread in the NY Reports and Conditions forum. Beyond that I'd suggest a trip to the Bay Bridge Bait Shop.

There's good fishing and access from many locations and very limited parking in others. I've had a lot of success at Third Creek out to 24fow. Others like near shore . I stay away from Leroy on the weekends, parking is a problem. Get a good report on ice conditions at the point before you tread across the channel.

Cutters is shallow water. Not my favorite this time of year. Others will argue that.

Second can be good if you like to cover some ice. There's a good bit of snow up there. Could be a workout.

Buy a good map! It'll help.

Have fun,
RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline jmny004

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2007, 02:35 PM »
Rg,
    Thanks, don't expect one individual to address all areas of concern. However I want to stay on top (lol) of the situation.(literally and figuratively speaking) Fishing for three days allows us to change locations to find the fish. Just want to make sure that there is safe ice at all the locations mentioned. with access and parking. Also interested in amount of snow on ice. Easy pull?or will ATVs and snowmobiles be required. Have both NOAA and fishing hot spots maps for area but they deal with nautical, looking for topographical info.Have reviewed the tread, looking for the most current conditions. Figured there  would be a large number of fisherman on the bay today,that just might visit the site tonight or tomorrow.
Again thanks for your help.
Tight lines
JM

Offline eyejigger

• IceShanty Rookie
  • walleye chaser
« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2007, 02:47 PM »
third creek is real hot right now in 24 ft of water and if you use tip-ups get the bass minows and you will get some nice female jacks and jigging do the same but with just the head on the pimple or something big like that

Offline jmny004

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2007, 03:01 PM »
thanks jigger,
      drop an pm or email  if you need anything about bass on sodus

Offline eyejigger

• IceShanty Rookie
  • walleye chaser
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2007, 03:30 PM »
thanks any how but i have them masterd been fishing sodus and the lake over 30 years but i will be on third creek monday if your gonna be around we could hook up im gonna jig for some eyes a couple of weeks ago there was some nice ones caught there and i know where one was 11 lb 5 oz

Offline Central NY Sam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2007, 10:17 PM »

There's always ample parking at Connelly's Cove restaraunt on the north-east side of the bay (they close for the winter).  This will give you access to the west side of Eagle- always perch there, as well as the south side of Leroy.  From here you can also walk to the west side of Newark, where there's a big drop-off.

Last Sunday snowmobiles were out, although there was only about 4" black under 3" honeycomb stuff.  I'm sure it's thicker now.  There was also some deep drifts that made walking tough.  If you can get on the "Conditions" section you'll see much info about the bay.

Sam

Offline jmny004

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2007, 10:37 PM »

Firefighters rescue Sodus Bay snowmobilers
2/10/07

Firefighters pulled off an amazing rescue in Wayne County Saturday night. Rescue crews were called to Sodus Bay after five snowmobiles broke through the ice. Two of them were able to get out themselves; three others had to be pulled out.

They've been taken to Newark-Wayne Hospital where they are being treated for hypothermia. Officials on scene tell News 10NBC that they are going to be alright.

Anyone know what section of the bay that this happened?

Offline Doubles Shooter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 11, 2007, 05:03 AM »
It's on the news right now. I missed the part of the bay they were on. The report said they were following the shore line and got disorientated and went out to the middle of the bay into open water.

Offline crappieloo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • nnnnn......Ice
« Reply #9 on: Feb 11, 2007, 05:56 AM »
It happened near the channel. We were listening to it on the scanner. Actually the first guy got out by himself and rode across a large bit of open water to shore to call 911.
http://www.wroctv.com/content/fulltext/?cid=9091

Offline eyejigger

• IceShanty Rookie
  • walleye chaser
« Reply #10 on: Feb 11, 2007, 12:35 PM »
thats to bad that happend that will keep a lot of people off the bay just becuase they got lost and they where locals must of had to much to drink every one knows to stay away from the channel?????????????????

Offline icecold

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Strictly catch and eat
« Reply #11 on: Feb 12, 2007, 04:05 PM »
My good friend knew at least one of the snowmobilers.  He just sent me an email today about the incident.
Here is his take on it.
We had some excitement over the weekend. Five snowmobilers got dissoriented while crossing Sodus Bay from the Southeast to the Northwest side.  They went a little too far north and ran out of ice. The leader , who knew how to ride snowmobiles on water, gunned the engine and rode almost 1/4 mile on open water of Sodus Bay and made it to shore. Four others tried too stop and the sleds sunk. They were in the water for about 45 minutes.
    One guy, a friend of mine from Ginna, swam to shore. His temp was 88 degrees  when the EMT got him. One guy was on an ice floe and called iin to 911,. The other guys were floating in the water and got pulled out by hovercraft that came from SeaBreeze. The guy who rode to shore also called 911.
    The best we can figure, the sleds are in about 30 feet of water. They used my 12 foot boat and motor to try to locate dthe sleds yesterday, but had no luck. By the grace of God, no one was killed. Just another day of winter fun.                 See ya,    Bob
tip up tip down but for sure tip a few

Offline jmny004

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 12, 2007, 10:49 PM »
Had the experience of trying to navigate in the pitch dark on  Sodus last fall. Launched at the town launch and had to go around the point back to the marina in the back to register for a tournament. Even brought my 300,000 candlelight spotlight to assist me in my travels. It proved to be useless due to thick fog. Eventually became disorientated and put the boat in neutral. Called a friend with gps (map) Lowrance X 17 and he came back and guided me to the registration area. Damn fog didn't really lift until about 9:00 am

Its not an easy task when there isn't cottage lights on shore or there is a heavy fog.
Used that X 17 once to navigate 15 miles back to the small boat harbor(Lake Erie) in fog so thick you couldn't see 10-15 yards at 2 in the afternoon.

Offline BuckShotJon

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • The Gimpy Fisher
« Reply #13 on: Feb 13, 2007, 07:21 AM »
Second creek - I don't fish there often can't help

third creek - Good for perch, need to go a couple hundred yards offshore. Shaker Tract Rd is where you need. Small parking area but cars park along the road. Monniws spikes work well for the perch. Never done to well for pike there.

west side of leroy and area in between all three islands
Cutters? - Good area for panfish and pike. Minnows and spikes for the panfish, medium to smaller sized shiners for the pike.

May I suggest Spiegal Dr. It's my favorite area. Its about 1/2 mile west of the bay bridge and Bay Bridge Sport Shop. Go to the end of the road, its a dead end and there is a parking area. Go down the hill and walk out about 200 yards to 10-15 feet of water. Same size minnows if you are after pike otherwise minnows and spikes for the perch. There is a boathouse on the west side that has two yellow anchors painted on it, I align up with this boathouse for my set up area.

I prefer Davenports bait shop. It's on the East side of the Bay Bridge, take a quick left after crossing the bridge and it's on your left right away. The Davenports will direct you to the bot bite area.

Ice last I knew was about 6-7 inches.

Check Out The Hunting Shanty

Check Out The Softer Side Of The Shanty At www.Myfishfinder.com

Offline hinkydo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 14, 2007, 10:08 AM »
willbilly I understand Reports and Conditions Board now. Will keep chit chat here. In response to my earlier Post. On Sodus Bay. Thank You.            Thank You also pokerman.   I have problem with someone fishing next to me. I can't catch them all, if I could it wouldn't be fun any more. That what my Dad use to say.   Good Fishing to every one.       hinkydo

Offline jmny004

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 14, 2007, 12:10 PM »
Jigger,Sam and Jon,

Thanks, I'll incorporate your information into our game plan. The assistance with parking helps to open up other areas of the bay to fish. Hopefully the wind will move some of this snow off the ice in the next couple of days. I quess worrying about the tough drag is better than worrying if there would be ice. As was the case about a month ago.

Offline jmny004

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Feb 15, 2007, 03:31 PM »
Anyone have any current info on the amount of snow on the ice? heard that the wind was blowing alot of it off. Be nice to hear this confirmed. Heading out tomorrow,Sat and Sun to play on the bay.

Offline magoo0512

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Feb 15, 2007, 07:08 PM »
Hopefully thats true. I was going there this weekend.

Offline jmny004

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 15, 2007, 10:25 PM »
bump

Offline jmny004

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 18, 2007, 10:43 PM »
  Re: Sodus Bay/Wayne
« Reply #196 on: Today at 11:32 PM » Reply with quote Modify Remove 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fished Sodus late Fri (4=6 pm) SLOW only 1 keeper Fished the south side of the point. Probably twelve inches of ice, with 6 inches of snow. Saturday fished West side of Leroy. Ice basically the same but 10 to 12 inches of snow on top. Made dragging your hut very difficult. The only thing worse was the fishing. The bite was off. Jumped  around trying different depths and switching lure sizes,colors and live baits. Just a couple dinks. After hour and half dragged  scout up that hill on Leroy Island. Tough on my old body.
For those of you thinking about fishing Leroy Island the state parking area wasn't plowed as of noon Saturday. They were parked on the north side of the road on the Island. Connelly's parking lot was also unplowed with the exception of a small part that is basically the homeowners next door driveway. So access to skippers  and the south side of Eagle is extremely limited. Tried Oak Orchard marine,  No vehicles there at noon,and no sign of tracks going onto the lake. Apparently not allowing access at that location. Stopped  at davenports and decided to fish the south basin. This time i traveled lite,with a jet sled bucket,rod and auger, The snow was a@#$%^. (they would have censored it anyway) Worked from six feet to 12 feet jumping all over,  Up to grassy point,over to oak Orchard marine and back towards Davenports. Not a fish over 7 inches and quite honesty not a lot of dinks either.
Didn't see an ATV on the water, snow was to deep.

Sunday,
 Saturday was so good ,we closed the bars Saturday night and blew off Sunday. Saturday I had friends at Grassy Point, third creek, and half way between sodus point and second creek. All experienced the same results.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.