New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Lake George Ice Chat - The KING is Ready !!!!!!  (Read 23859 times)

Offline jflood

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Forget the KING this year!
« Reply #60 on: Feb 26, 2006, 03:36 PM »
nice pike,.... no shanty yesterday....your a bad arse :clap:

Offline Benfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: lake george ice
« Reply #61 on: Feb 27, 2006, 08:42 AM »
I was wondering if any of you guy can give a report on how the Ice conditions were out of Vet's Park. Can you get up into the narrows yet? If so is their enought ice for a snowmobile or atv? It was -18 at out house in Wilton this morning; if the King is froze, it had to put on some serious Ice last night.

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #62 on: Feb 27, 2006, 08:53 AM »
haven't been on sawmill but guys have been fishing it since early last week. i wouldn't trust trying to go to the narrows yet, even though it was cold all weekend. there were guys on wheelers on harris last tuesday.
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #63 on: Feb 27, 2006, 10:05 AM »
we were up by diamond point saturday. there was only 3 "inches of ice. Lots of cracks on the lake and with the snow pushing down on the ice, water was seeping up through the cracks. I would not bring a wheeler on just yet.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline Mentiply

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #64 on: Feb 27, 2006, 10:46 AM »
I watched the whole north end of the lake start to freeze Friday night and finish Saturday night so THE NORTH END IS NOT SAFE if it stays cold maybe this weekend if you are a brave soul.

Offline MikeVT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #65 on: Feb 27, 2006, 12:34 PM »
Was it locked down near Huletts Landing???
A bent rod is a good rod!

Offline AirManCam

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All hail to the King!!
Re: George/Washington, Warren
« Reply #66 on: Feb 27, 2006, 03:59 PM »
Sounder whats the secert?  I was on Huddle all day, we never got a flag with 20 tip ups out!  I going back this sat to try again....Huddle was good for the perch we caught them all day from 20'-40' feet of water...I thought that nor easter we had going on shut them down, guess I cant use that excuse after seeing your post...  What bay were you in?
Lets start of with some of the basics. Bait, waht were you using for bait? I caught 3 pike, 1 salmon, and limited perch, ilikepike caught 2 lakers 2 pike and limited on perch saturday in 20-40 FOW. In lake george, you need about 5 feet of leader, as the lake is so clear. and then small trebbles, small line, and bait. I use big pike shiners personally.
15lb mono pike fisherman...WHATS UP!

Offline Mentiply

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #67 on: Feb 27, 2006, 04:00 PM »
Was it locked down near Huletts Landing???

Mike my camp is on Crow Point (Gull Bay) Friday before dark I could not see any ice on the Lake on Saturday when I woke up I could not see any open water. Looking down the lake the best I can see w/o binoc's is about to Odell Island. If it wasn't locked before it is now.

Offline KYLE

• IceShanty Rookie
  • 32" & 11 lbs. Monster Eye
« Reply #68 on: Feb 27, 2006, 04:42 PM »
Lets start of with some of the basics. Bait, waht were you using for bait? I caught 3 pike, 1 salmon, and limited perch, ilikepike caught 2 lakers 2 pike and limited on perch saturday in 20-40 FOW. In lake george, you need about 5 feet of leader, as the lake is so clear. and then small trebbles, small line, and bait. I use big pike shiners personally.

Thats what I am using other than the bait....I was using small suckers.  Maybe that was the difference.  I was also in 20-45 FOW, using 10lbs fireline (smoke), which has a DIA of 4lb, #4 trebs......?  Maybe in the wrong spot or something!  Guys next to us were using golden shiners and they had 3 hits to our none....

Is bait selection that critical at LG?
True strength is the willingness to completely let go of the things that don't really matter (work), and choose to exercise that strength, and keep life focused in a positive, meaningful direction (fishing)!!!

Offline watkin

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #69 on: Feb 27, 2006, 05:08 PM »
just spoke with a guy from fish 307. he said there was about 6'' at vets. park and it was all locked up,said it was a little less further out,guys were all over it.that was yesterdays report,he did not get todays report yet.i think the king will be fishable this weekend.

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #70 on: Feb 27, 2006, 06:33 PM »
I was at vets park today I measured from 2-3 inches all the way out into Nortwest bay and out past Green and Crown Island and onto the main lake.. very windy today, managed 1 short laker in the 45 minutes I fished and several perch and I got sick of cleaning ice off my rod eyes and packed it in  :) Forgot the shanty today of all days! Maybe 6 or 7 guys out there today.

There were some soft spots where the ice would sag considerably under my weight (260lbs +Pack) but they were few and far between.

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #71 on: Feb 27, 2006, 07:39 PM »
2-3 inches of blowing snow on the lake, with some bare spots starting to show thru.. the ice is nice and black :)   It was an absolutely beautiful day on the king :)  just a bit chilly heh

The sled pulled like bricks on grass, but my sled was designed poorly and never pulls well :P

If the wind keeps up the snow should be gone soon from the lake :)

Offline sounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #72 on: Feb 27, 2006, 08:05 PM »
wind from the west fish bite best your not ice fishing if your fingers dont stick to the spools on your traps. God i love this sport. SOUNDER.

Offline LAKEGEORGEJEFF

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Feb 27, 2006, 09:42 PM »
Thats what I am using other than the bait....I was using small suckers.  Maybe that was the difference.  I was also in 20-45 FOW, using 10lbs fireline (smoke), which has a DIA of 4lb, #4 trebs......?  Maybe in the wrong spot or something!  Guys next to us were using golden shiners and they had 3 hits to our none....

#4 trebles are huge! tone it down!12's or smaller.

CALLING ALL FISH!!!!!!!!!

Offline martinez1321

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Mario
« Reply #74 on: Feb 27, 2006, 11:19 PM »
try using suckers for the lake trout, thats what my grandfather used to do on the lake and he'd kill them, about 3-6 feet off bottom. just a suggestion

dwayne

« Reply #75 on: Feb 28, 2006, 07:03 AM »

I use 3 to 4 inch suckers, #12 treble hook, and 6 pound maxima fluorocarbon leader (10' long).  Typically I run the bait 5 to 10 ' off of bottom.  A laker will come up quite a ways in clear water for a quick meal.

Offline pieman1998

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • just have to ice fish
Re: Lake George Ice Chat
« Reply #76 on: Feb 28, 2006, 08:12 AM »
we go about 1ft off the bottom

Offline KYLE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #77 on: Feb 28, 2006, 08:40 AM »
#4 trebles are huge! tone it down!12's or smaller.

I was using #10's, I looked again last night....maybe I ll drop down a touch more.
True strength is the willingness to completely let go of the things that don't really matter (work), and choose to exercise that strength, and keep life focused in a positive, meaningful direction (fishing)!!!

Offline KYLE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #78 on: Feb 28, 2006, 08:43 AM »
I use 3 to 4 inch suckers, #12 treble hook, and 6 pound maxima fluorocarbon leader (10' long).  Typically I run the bait 5 to 10 ' off of bottom.  A laker will come up quite a ways in clear water for a quick meal.

See......I was running them in the top 10 feet of the water coloum.  Someone told me they hit a couple feet under the ice.  That sounds like the issue....I ll put them a foot or two off the bottom next time.

Thanks guys!  This laker fishing is a new game...

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #79 on: Feb 28, 2006, 08:56 AM »
here's a nice LG laker caught saturday during the blizzard by my brother. He was Jigging just off the bottom in 60 feet of water.

Offline iceenut

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The Adirondacks,my home away from home.
« Reply #80 on: Feb 28, 2006, 09:22 AM »
I was using #10's, I looked again last night....maybe I ll drop down a touch more.
#12s or #14s and 8 or 6lb flouro leaders are a must...plus like Slipbob said staggering your depths...all of my trout and salmon have been caught in the 10-30' range  this year and some of that was in 90FOW,but as we all know it changes day to day where you will find them in the water column.
\\\"Thats Right...Too much\\\"-AM 1914-2005, Thanks Pon,you started it all

Offline MikeVT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #81 on: Feb 28, 2006, 11:14 AM »
Mike my camp is on Crow Point (Gull Bay) Friday before dark I could not see any ice on the Lake on Saturday when I woke up I could not see any open water. Looking down the lake the best I can see w/o binoc's is about to Odell Island. If it wasn't locked before it is now.
Thanks Mentiply - If the ice sticks I will be looking to access the King either at Huletts or Gull Bay Road.  Liked fishing Hague last year but the east side of the lake is a much shorter drive for me.

Offline Benfishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #82 on: Feb 28, 2006, 12:46 PM »
Have any of you guy had any luck hooking one of those salmon in the King. I heard that they are in there, but in the past 5 or 6 years of fishing it, I haven't even seen one caught. Would anybody like to share some how to's on the subject?

Offline Robb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Secret Spot
« Reply #83 on: Feb 28, 2006, 01:18 PM »
Have any of you guy had any luck hooking one of those salmon in the King. I heard that they are in there, but in the past 5 or 6 years of fishing it, I haven't even seen one caught. Would anybody like to share some how to's on the subject?

I cuaght a nice 22"er last season there on an Icicle just under the ice on a tip-up, that's how I've always heard to target them and I got 2 last year on Otsego as well. I know AdkRoy got some nice one's too.

Robb :tipup:

Offline MikeVT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #84 on: Feb 28, 2006, 01:59 PM »
I got 4 last year with icicles just underneath the ice. 25", 22", 16" and 15".  The 25" was just a shade under 5 lbs.

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #85 on: Feb 28, 2006, 02:27 PM »
I cuaght a nice 22"er last season there on an Icicle just under the ice on a tip-up, that's how I've always heard to target them and I got 2 last year on Otsego as well. I know AdkRoy got some nice one's too.

Robb :tipup:

Here is a 22" salmon caught last March on Lake George! Sorry I am having trouble with my picture. :P

Offline KYLE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #86 on: Feb 28, 2006, 02:50 PM »
You're not going wrong fishing baits up high KYLE but you should stagger them.  Some up high some down low.  One suggestion that I noticed from your setup is the Fireline.  You MUST use a florocarbon leader of at least 3ft or so if you're using braid.  Even though it's thin in the clear waters of Lake George it's imperative to use a leader with tipups because the fish have time to inspect your setup and they can easily see the braid.  That will kill your chances right away.  But plenty of lakers come from tipups set right under the ice but more so over deep water. 

Thanks man....I did get some 8lbs. Seaguar fluorocarbon line for leaders today.  I am sure this will make a difference!  Slipbob I am heading to King again on Sat...maybe I ll see ya up there!  I think I'am parking at Huddle again, or should I try a new location?  Give me a ring if your going up.

Offline Mentiply

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #87 on: Feb 28, 2006, 04:43 PM »
Just saw the news and see a fella went thru around huletts landing on his quad on his way to his ice fishin spot-he drowned.Be careful up there,it ain't THAT safe yet.The fishing isn't that good up there to go in the drink and risk loosing your life.

Just saw the same thing. Poor guy  :'(

Offline dwaytkus

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If she loves you, she will clean them!
« Reply #88 on: Feb 28, 2006, 08:58 PM »
A 72 year old vermont man went through on his wheeler in Hulette's Landing and didn't make it.

Offline snot rocket

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #89 on: Feb 28, 2006, 09:04 PM »
Just saw the news and see a fella went thru around huletts landing on his quad on his way to his ice fishin spot-he drowned.Be careful up there,it ain't THAT safe yet.The fishing isn't that good up there to go in the drink and risk loosing your life.
please be careful, this cold snap can give all of us a false sense of security. a man also went through and died in Pa. again be careful,bring your ice pics and fish with a buddy.
                                                         SnotRocket
I’VE BEEN TO BOTH POLES…HAVE YOU?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.