New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Bear Lake Ice Report  (Read 30294 times)

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Bear Lake Ice Report
« Reply #30 on: Feb 15, 2006, 08:49 PM »
I fished just to the outside of your holes i think off the scout camp. 21-25 fow 2 shorts caught threw everything at them and cut ALOT of holes the 2 i got were in 24 fow 14 feet down. Marking fish everywhere they just wouldnt hit :-\. Ice is in best shape of any I've seen this year this little warm up wont hurt it at all  8) I must have missed you by minutes Bob I was there about 4-ish the fish i did catch were back to back right at dusk 5:30-6:00

Offline Bear_Lake_Bob

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • What Do You Mean, The ice Is Too Thin!!!!!!!!!!! !!
« Reply #31 on: Feb 15, 2006, 09:35 PM »

Marcus:

Maybe the late afternoon/Dark thirty bite will be the rule this year. The 25ft mark is rare on the lake, and right near it is a 27ft hole.This depth only encompasses an area less than 200x 200ft bottom area from what I read during my summer trolling activities on the lake. 15 to 20ft was the rule off the old camp. Closer in towards the camp usually only provided dink perch, and deeper, nothing. I have been talking all season about a habitat shift over the last few years. Maybe the minnows have changed patterns, and the fish follow it. I usually  fish  each cut hole about 15 min, changing depths up/down. If you saw all the holes we cut going towards shore, and across the face of the camp, we did manage to cover a lot of ground. Maybe next time, we will try deeper and work the suspended game into the darkness. Last time we fished out there, we were offf the ice well before the time you stayed thru. :-\

Maybe Emptyhanded and Hijinks will make the trip over and locate them for us. While they are there Marcus, check out their great flotation suits, which they never leave shore with out them! These guys are majicians, they could pull a Crappie out of a hat! What ya say guys>>>>>>>>

Bear_Lake_Bob
OH !  OH NO!!!! Don't Put Me In That Hot Oil !

Offline IceTrekker17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'll Treck for Miles For Slab Perch...
« Reply #32 on: Feb 16, 2006, 06:41 AM »
marcus -

how much ice was there?  i'm almost certainly going to get the gear ready and hit bear saturday afternoon.  maybe ill see some of you guys out there.

Offline Hijinks

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The greatest international fisherman.
« Reply #33 on: Feb 16, 2006, 07:34 AM »
Bob - We "were" magicians back a few years ago. Lately I feel like a washed up Gallagher on the ice. Few 6-8" crappie and dink perch. It really is a shame with that lake. We used to have so much fun out there on the ice, and still do, but the fishing has really dwindled. I know the fish are there, but it seems each year they get more and more tight lipped and won't take anything. Maybe there's a surplus of bait in the lake? I don't know. Not willing to give up on it yet. In the spring, they're all over the place in the shallows - I'm sure you see them. In winter - they disappear. Now that's magical in itself.
2023 - Doing a "food Sled" on Chautauqua with just my wild game food for purchase. Venison, Bear, Elk, Moose, and Boar. Weekends.
2022 - Featured in Jan In-Fisherman Magazine
2019- MVP of Flag Football over 65 league
1992 - 2022 Voted the best Ice Angler in Upstate
2020 - NY Times Best Seller for Propane Crockpot Book
2017 - Iceshanty.com Hall of Fame Inductee
2016 - Voted Best Grandpa in Upstate NY again.
2018 - Donated 1MM to Help Rebuild Afrikan Nation
2019 - Developed own line of jigging lures named after local businesses. Revenue of $289K first 3 months.
2022 - Micro-dehydrating propane cookbook debut on Amazon

Offline emptyhanded

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • thump - fish onnnnnn
« Reply #34 on: Feb 16, 2006, 09:37 AM »
Nothing magical -- just in the right place in the right "year or two". I think the pressure the last two years has pushed them away from the camp area. I would like to spend more time there, but after getting skunked over and over again. I switched to chatuqua for walleye and crappies. But I think I am coming down sunday afternoon because the ice sounds good. -- I am going toward the creek mouth drop off, 18 foot water

Bob I sent you those pics
Does not play well with others

As uncle ted says - u have to kill it to grill it" its our right to bear arms and chase large women

Offline Hijinks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Feb 16, 2006, 09:45 AM »
I'll blame it on the Amish for the time being. :)
2023 - Doing a "food Sled" on Chautauqua with just my wild game food for purchase. Venison, Bear, Elk, Moose, and Boar. Weekends.
2019 - Developed own line of jigging lures named after local businesses. Revenue of $289K first 3 months.

Offline Bear_Lake_Bob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Feb 16, 2006, 09:59 AM »
I'll blame it on the Amish for the time being. :)

Hijinks

Believe it or not, they have been behaving quite well lately. Enough have been pinched by the DEC, that the word has been let out.It is the uninformed "English " which do the damage by keeping shorts off this lake. Believe it or not, there are still people out there who know nothing about the 9" minimum/ 25 limit. :-\

Trekker:

The ice was 6-8 the other day. Probably slushy now,but should ice over this weekend again good. Sunday sounds like a better day then Saturday weather wise, with those high winds they are projecting!

Bear_Lake_Bob :tipup:

Offline Hijinks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Feb 16, 2006, 10:11 AM »
Yeah I was just kidding about the amish thing. I remember the one day 25-30 of them out there just going to town on the lake.
Good to see the DEC cracking down.
Iron Bay is shot right now, so I may be doing a road trip here this weekend or next.
I'll keep in touch.

Offline Bear_Lake_Bob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Feb 16, 2006, 02:58 PM »
Hijinks,Emptyhanded,Marcus and Icetrekker:

Just checked the lake at about 4:ooPM. The shore ice is starting to get sloppy, and there is lots of standing water on the ice.Possibly Sunday will be the most productive and comfortable day to get out on. The near zero temps forecasted should do much to make a great tight icefield. :clap:
I WILL watch for any changes, and post accordingly.

Bear_Lake_Bob :thumbsup:

Offline IceTrekker17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Feb 16, 2006, 04:21 PM »
thanks bob!  i agree; sat will prolly be suffering the last effects of today and early tomorrow's warm spell.  late friday, and all day saturday its supposed to be frigid!

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Feb 16, 2006, 06:08 PM »
Bob I may not know this lake that well but I know i find the crappies thick in cassadaga lake on the weed edges in 8-12 fow maybe the shallows deserve a look? Maybe next time out I will try a different area they didnt just disappear and when found I think there will be no problem catching as many as we want. I know nothing of the amount of people who take alot of fish but I have seen people limit out and going home in 2-3 hours with some very large ones mixed in. That was a few years ago though.

Offline Hijinks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Feb 16, 2006, 06:29 PM »
Marcus.
Emptyhanded and I have covered that lake inside and out the last few years with little or no luck finding the pod of fish. Obviously they're somewhere - just got to find the right place and the right time.
Good luck this weekend. May not make it back there this weekend, but next weekend the I'm packing the truck with the arsenal and going on a road trip all over WNY, and maybe even CNY.

Offline IceTrekker17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Feb 17, 2006, 02:16 PM »
ill be on bear this weekend...either sat or sun, maybe both..who knows

crowkiller

« Reply #43 on: Feb 17, 2006, 02:19 PM »
how did the ice hold up to the high winds???

Offline Bear_Lake_Bob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Feb 17, 2006, 02:46 PM »
I will take a look at it tomorrow, and post. Saturday should give us a good idea, it will be colder then. It is 12 here now, and not even dinner time.Snowed most all day

crowkiller

« Reply #45 on: Feb 17, 2006, 02:47 PM »
at least the wind should keep the snow off the ice

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Feb 17, 2006, 07:47 PM »
Bob did the ice hold? suprisingly cassadaga ice held  maybe better than i thought i will cut some holes tommorrwo eve on cassadaga to have a look I think im missing out on some underfished perch and crappie out here ;D

Offline Bear_Lake_Bob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Feb 18, 2006, 10:08 AM »

Just came back from checking out Bear Lake down the road. At the lakeshore, the temp was 3 degrees just before 11:00 AM today.There is no snow on the ice, and the winds wer blowing about 30-40 MPH. We had less than an inch of new snow overnight.

Yesterday afternoon, the extreme South end of the lake, from the creek to the outlet was wide open.,from the inlet north, it was still ok.

The shore ice seem to have solidified, and I immagine tomorrow, (Sunday) that there should be safe ice all over the lake again, especially with these low daytime temps, and leven lower night ones.Hopefully if it is half decent tomorrow, many fishermen will venture out. Maybe with some extra help we can re-locate the Calico winter grounds. ;D

A fellow fishing near the drop-off area caught a nice nitetime Walleye, bait/depth unknown. If fishermen stay clear of the inlet flow, I think it will work.You can still see the shadow of brown under the ice near the inlet,visible from the road. Many have taled about an afternoon thru dark trip, and maybe thats what it will take. :)

Bring your locators out with you!

Offline emptyhanded

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • thump - fish onnnnnn
« Reply #48 on: Feb 18, 2006, 11:54 AM »
bob,

Thank you for the update -- I will be there tomm. at 1:00 or so, fishing till alitttle after dark -- if we get fish I will be back monday -- I am off for presidents day. I have a full size 2006 F150 terracota color if you see the truck on the road venture out. I will be using GPS coordinates for the camp area that date back the last 5 years -- maybe one will work -- close to dark I am heading creek. Look for the guys in the yellow coats. I am bringing the camera and the aqua view.

darn crappie............... .............
Does not play well with others

As uncle ted says - u have to kill it to grill it" its our right to bear arms and chase large women

Offline Bear_Lake_Bob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Feb 18, 2006, 01:54 PM »
Emptyhanded:

I just drove up to the lake to see if anyone was out fishing, and nobody was. The temp at roadside is hanging at 4 degrees, with a light blowing snowfall.When she locks up tonight, you will have one large skating rink. Tell Hijinks to bring the stick bag and some pucks!  ;)

If you have problems getting any bait, I have lots here! ;D

I will watch for you. From what people are saying, maybe more Ice Shanty Guys will be out as well.

I think it is time for me to get rid of my old Vexilar, and move up a bit. I will post it on E Bay today!

Bear_Lake_Bob 8)

Offline Hijinks

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Feb 18, 2006, 02:38 PM »
Stick and pucks are packed in the truck. Game on!

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Feb 18, 2006, 06:38 PM »
hmmm bob pm me i may be interested in it. i would like to upgrade my 1980's eagle silent sixty-one flasher works well but having an extra for the friends who come along could be helpful in our searches for fish.

Offline Bear_Lake_Bob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #52 on: Feb 18, 2006, 07:07 PM »

Marcus:

It is just short of 8:00PM. I drove past the lake and saw the temp reading right near ZERO>>>>>>

Are you going to visit the lake tomorrow.? Did you fish Quaker today?

The Vexilar I am referring to is a old wall hanger, or best a antique model Vexilar. It was their first attempt at fish locating, with a hand held temperature probe. It has a line of so many feet, ie, 60ft and there is a thermocouple at the end, which is weightred down with a weight into the water. The thermometer on the hand held unit indicates the exact water temperature at the weighted end.The instruction book relates water temperatures at various depths which certain species tend to stay in as their comfort zone.

Yes, marcus, you are the one who needs it most, as you have taken  the most swims this year so far. Maybe if you wear it or hold it and test the water temperatures where yoiu possibly could fall in, you would make a safer judgment as to falling into a " warmer mix of water " before you take chances on a colder area!

I am sorry, for the kidding but I had to do it! ;D

Bedar_Lake_Bob :tipup:

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #53 on: Feb 18, 2006, 07:13 PM »
lol bob no i didnt fish quaker today had to work I will be going to quaker tommorrow now that i caught a few pike i want to catch some bigger ones. If my friends cant handle the cold (which happens too often) then i may hit bear in the afternoon tommorrow.

Offline outfisherman-1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Feb 18, 2006, 07:50 PM »
I am glad to hear the ice on bear is good. I am definately going out there tommorow. Thanks for the good report Bob. Maybe I will see you tommorow. I have a really good idea where those calicos are at. Find them every year. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #55 on: Feb 18, 2006, 10:31 PM »
I think i will make the 10 minute drive over there and give it a try also.
If i'm not fish'n then i'd rather be turkey hunt'n [img width=100 height=80]

Offline Bear_Lake_Bob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Feb 19, 2006, 10:27 AM »
It's Sunday just past 11:00AM. It is 4 degrees at the lake, with blowing snow,new snow falling. :woot:

The lake has no icefishermen on it at this time; maybe everyone got smart, and will wait till tomorrow if they are off for the holiday? The temperatures really dropped well into the negative numbers with the partially clear skies we had.This coldspell will do the trick for a while! :thumbsup:

Bear_Lake_Bob

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #57 on: Feb 19, 2006, 04:52 PM »
Well i just came back from bear lake and there are  4 huts out there. How did you guys do? Thanks

Offline IceTrekker17

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Feb 19, 2006, 07:06 PM »
I just got in from bear...got a little bit of calico action.  got 10 altogether, 4 10'' keepers.  also missed another 6 or so.  rest were under 9.  22fow off scout camp, 4 ft off bottom.  marked fish all day.  not bad compared to my last few times out there. 

7'' good hard ice...was makin' ice all day. cold weather made fishin' a bit tougher.  next weekend, if the ice holds, ill prolly be back here.

Offline hunters08

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • all i can say is WOW
« Reply #59 on: Feb 19, 2006, 09:17 PM »
Wow so you must have been the crazy guys with just the white wind block and not a hut? How did you keep your holes from freezing? I went to barcelona fished open water and the eyes on my rod became solid ice. Did you talk to the guys in the fish trap guide that were close to shore to see how they did?  Thanks

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.