New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Infisherman magazine false reporting  (Read 4191 times)

Offline shantymaniac

• IceShanty Rookie
Infisherman magazine false reporting
« on: Dec 02, 2013, 05:45 PM »
Check out the new winter2013/2014 In-fisherman magazine page 15 (Adventures). It claims that Chautauqua Lake is outstanding for ice fishing. Walleyes up to 8 pounds and perch up to 14 inches. What a load of bull. This lake is loaded with dinks and walleye through the ice are far and few between.I would hope that such a reputable magazine would write actual facts and not from some local business owner looking to make a few bucks.i can assure you that the local contact will never get any of my business, honesty is the best policy.

Offline TheThinIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bowhunter first, everything else second.
Re: Infisherman magazine false reporting
« Reply #1 on: Dec 02, 2013, 05:50 PM »
That's unfortunate, but look at the bright side, it'll draw the crowds away for the lakes that actually hold decent fish!  ;D

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Dec 02, 2013, 05:50 PM »

maybe it's due to the the tourney on it  this winter ? one of the best eye and perch fishermen i know lives in Buffalo and comes to Oneida Lake every weekend HMMM and he is a trapp attack winner also

Offline SoDakdick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 02, 2013, 05:55 PM »
Or its because you want the lake to yourself. J/K
Keep your stick on the ice we are all in this together.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2013, 06:10 PM »
Or its because you want the lake to yourself. J/K
they can have it and good luck gettig a legal limit of eyes and jumbos 

Offline Toxic fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Www.teambrotherdads.com
« Reply #5 on: Dec 02, 2013, 06:17 PM »
they can have it and good luck gettig a legal limit of eyes and jumbos

Hey filet your supposed to say only dinks and shorts in Oneida.... Lol isn't Oneida a big secret too :afro:

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 02, 2013, 07:04 PM »
Check out the new winter2013/2014 In-fisherman magazine page 15 (Adventures). It claims that Chautauqua Lake is outstanding for ice fishing. Walleyes up to 8 pounds and perch up to 14 inches. What a load of bull. This lake is loaded with dinks and walleye through the ice are far and few between.I would hope that such a reputable magazine would write actual facts and not from some local business owner looking to make a few bucks.i can assure you that the local contact will never get any of my business, honesty is the best policy.

Does NY DEC shock the lakes and inventory the fish? Other states do it and the results are usually public information, available to writers willing to do research. If DEC shocked the lake and the biggest fish were an 8 lb eye and 14" perch, now it's a trophy lake according to the writer.

Thanks for the heads up, I'm sorry now I made reservations for several weekends at a hotel on the east end of a lousey 22 mile long lake. No walleye or perch in there. ;)

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Dec 02, 2013, 07:15 PM »
Does NY DEC shock the lakes and inventory the fish? Other states do it and the results are usually public information, available to writers willing to do research. If DEC shocked the lake and the biggest fish were an 8 lb eye and 14" perch, now it's a trophy lake according to the writer.

Thanks for the heads up, I'm sorry now I made reservations for several weekends at a hotel on the east end of a lousey 22 mile long lake. No walleye or perch in there. ;)

let us know how many eyes and nice perch over 12" U catch and don't forget the pics

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Dec 02, 2013, 07:32 PM »
Hey filet your supposed to say only dinks and shorts in Oneida.... Lol isn't Oneida a big secret too :afro:

Toxic everyone knows what we have after everyones pics over the years , oops there are no eyes or jumbo perch left in Oneida :blink: not at all I shoot honest info , but do bust balls from time to time just watch the smileys  , and my ice reports I due take serious due to Oneida being so unpredictable and those are general at best when on foot a spud is a major player , I carry one on my sled when in doubt I bang away   

Offline Toxic fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Dec 02, 2013, 07:44 PM »
Toxic everyone knows what we have after everyones pics over the years , oops there are no eyes or jumbo perch left in Oneida :blink: not at all I shoot honest info , but do bust balls from time to time just watch the smileys  , and my ice reports I due take serious due to Oneida being so unpredictable and those are general at best when on foot a spud is a major player , I carry one on my sled when in doubt I bang away

Not to mention a fish hatchery up the creek... Oooops there I go again. I suck at secrets lol. We always spud and are always first on and last off Oneida, besides u guys :afro:   I also send my brother jakep in front of me I'm older and smarter :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline jakep138

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 03, 2013, 05:47 AM »
Not to mention a fish hatchery up the creek... Oooops there I go again. I suck at secrets lol. We always spud and are always first on and last off Oneida, besides u guys :afro:   I also send my brother jakep in front of me I'm older and smarter :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
ha ha I'm always happy and willing to spud my way out !!!

Offline Ice Beard

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Dec 03, 2013, 06:36 AM »
Ha...the only way I could catch a 14 inch perch on Chautauqua is if I first catch it at Oneida and put it in a bucket and drive it back to Chautauqua.

I have spent a great deal of time (both hard and soft water) on Chautauqua and the best I have ever seen is 11 inches.

Nope, its Oneida for me...hands down!

Cheers,
Ice Beard

Offline joefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 03, 2013, 07:01 AM »

I GUESS YOU SHOULD READ THE TOP OF THE PAGE (FROM INFISHERMAN STAFF AND FRIENDS)  ITS AN ADVERTISMENT FOR BAY COTTAGES.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 03, 2013, 07:10 AM »
makes you wonder about all of their other write ups and photos on the other locations

Offline Toxic fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 03, 2013, 07:49 AM »
I guess the lesson here is do your own research, if u don't fish it you will never know. If u plan your ice season by what a magazine article says is hot fishing your probably not going to have a hot season. Unfortunately I'm sure there are some people who have probably already booked a month worth at bay cottages in search of the elusive 14 inch perch which u can't find anywhere else and a 8 lb walleye also in no other NY waterways. :woot: stay safe out there this season guys and more importantly hae fun. :icefish: I will be on Oneida

Offline Prchmike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 03, 2013, 08:25 AM »
I will be on the bays of Lake Ontario. BIG perch CONSISTENTLY.
Fishermen are born honest, but they get over it...

Offline urrkel

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Dec 03, 2013, 10:38 AM »
reputable fishing magazine? never heard of such a thing

Offline Backwoods_boy3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 03, 2013, 10:55 AM »
I do agree with most people her, Oneida is a darn good lake for most targeted species through the ice.
Ice up! & Lines down!
Keep em' tight!

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #18 on: Dec 03, 2013, 11:14 AM »
I've seen a few articles over the years pertaining to waters ive fished on a regular basis and wondered where the hell the writer got their info. One in particular stands out to me because the writer went into great detail how the stream he was writing about was HOME to many native brown trout and 20 inchers could be expected in a days fishing.. I almost fell out of my chair..The stream was stocked annually with around 10k fish and in the 100 times I fished it I never saw a fish over 16"...

Take it with a grain of salt, believe half of what you read and more of what you see.
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline slamboney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 03, 2013, 11:25 AM »
Wow sounds like Chatauqua is on fire, I think everyone should head west and pound those giant perch and eyes. 

Oneida is really going down hill though, never saw so many dinks as this year, now with the gobies it's pretty much over ;D.

Offline eyedoktr

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • keep your pole in the hole
« Reply #20 on: Dec 03, 2013, 01:21 PM »
In defense of the In-Fisherman, it does not say you will get limits of 8 pound walleye or 14" perch. I'm willing to bet that a walleye and a few perch of that size will be caught from Chautauqua this year.
Pete Lewis

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 03, 2013, 01:39 PM »
Was it stated by an In Fisherman writer or editor?
Or was that stated in an ad printed in an In Fisherman magazine?
Before we go beating up the boys at In Fisherman too awful bad.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #22 on: Dec 03, 2013, 01:45 PM »

yep thats the place to fish , i can see a caravan heading west ,  ;D

Offline Gillpill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • All I need is a big Bull gill and Im set
« Reply #23 on: Dec 03, 2013, 02:32 PM »
man Infisherman screwed up this time didnt they lol
That's a Bluegill, no that's a Sunfish...I've heard it both ways!!

Offline conesusguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 03, 2013, 04:59 PM »
In fisherman is nothing than a sales pitch for major lure manufacturers anybody who advertises with them.  Take the majority of their advice on lures bait and tactics and you will often fail.  This example with Chataugua lake reminds me of the Conesus walleye myth that you can not take them through the ice.  Then last winter I put my time in and patterned them.  Not saying thats the case with Chataugua just sounds familiar.  I'll take you guys word for it and avoid that fishery.
This sport takes a certain amount of character in a man that we all should respect and take pride in.

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing is what i live for-END OF STORY
« Reply #25 on: Dec 03, 2013, 05:29 PM »
very well put JON ;) having some good contacts is priceless before planning any trip ;)
"HEY FREDDIE"-FISH ON! PROUD MEMBER OF THE OLLC

Offline Gillpill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 03, 2013, 05:32 PM »
infisherman has good articles in my opinion just screwed up on this one i believe

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing is what i live for-END OF STORY
« Reply #27 on: Dec 03, 2013, 05:59 PM »
i agree with that also. i have been reading and watching in-fisherman since i was a kid and still do from time to time. @)
"HEY FREDDIE"-FISH ON! PROUD MEMBER OF THE OLLC

Offline Gillpill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 03, 2013, 06:01 PM »
i agree what that also. i have been reading and watching in-fisherman since i was a kid and still do from time to time. @)
amen to that man

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #29 on: Dec 04, 2013, 04:07 PM »
very well put JON ;) having some good contacts is priceless before planning any trip ;)

thats right  ;)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.