New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: sodus bay perch  (Read 25624 times)

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: sodus bay perch
« Reply #60 on: Feb 14, 2013, 10:09 AM »
You only need one more post lol. I would call bay bridge bait shop to get up to date ice info.
"Quit whining and go fishing!"

Offline Finders Keepers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Capt. Finders Keepers
« Reply #61 on: Feb 14, 2013, 10:12 AM »
hopefuly the ice will be good for the pro am tournament feb 22& 23...

Captains meeting is on the 22nd, the event is the 23rd and 24th.  @) 

I have a group of guys coming up on the weekend of the 23rd dont have enough posts for condition page so im looking for alittle info first are u able to get to mile arm across the ice and wondering if the fishing is good there  or waist of time if so whers the good fishing  thanks in advance

Where is "mile arm"? Haven't heard of that on Sodus before...
Tim Thomas
NYS Ice Pro-Am Corporation
President & CEO

Finders Keepers Sportfishing
Captain

Offline madbomberJr1997

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #62 on: Jan 01, 2014, 12:14 AM »
How's the fishing on sodus?
Fish caught:
Northern- 0/10
Perch- 0/8
Blue gill- 0/12
Crappie- 0/5

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #63 on: Jan 01, 2014, 12:56 AM »
Dad went out this morning. Caught a decent amount of nice jack perch and a bunch of dinks. Said the bite was hot...then it shut right down. Smaller minnows seemed to be the key as they werent touching rosies or bigger minnows.

Offline mkauzala

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #64 on: Jan 01, 2014, 07:12 AM »
any updates on the ice conditions around the area??

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #65 on: Jan 01, 2014, 12:43 PM »
Try calling bay bridge or davenports. They can give you better info about conditions and fish being caught

Offline keukaperch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #66 on: Jan 02, 2014, 08:10 AM »
Fished off of third creek on the 1st, 4-5inches of ice, bite was slow, fished 18-22ft of water

Offline TheManInBlack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #67 on: Jan 02, 2014, 11:11 AM »
Fished off of third creek on the 1st, 4-5inches of ice, bite was slow, fished 18-22ft of water
I've fished other parts of the bay, but have driven by Third Creek before.  I have seen lots of guys on machines, and people way out there.
Is it always a good hike out to the good fishing waters there?  I often fish with my young kids and/or my father, so long walks are not always possible.

Offline keukaperch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Jan 02, 2014, 11:32 AM »
Its about 100-150yards out to where I like to fish... I have seen guys closer in but I don't know how good that is, I have better luck out deep

Offline TheManInBlack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #69 on: Jan 02, 2014, 12:22 PM »
Thanks.
100-150 yards is nothing!  They can handle that.  The time I drove by last year, there was no one in close.  It looks like everyone was at least 1/2 mile or more off shore.

Offline hardwater Rick

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • THROW THE SMALL ONES BACK!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #70 on: Jan 02, 2014, 02:09 PM »
you are right TMIB   keuka has to be talking about some other area.. I have made that walk a million times.. off shaker heights rd   150 yds will get you in 10 fow water if that...  when I am out to 30fow  I see my small tiny truck, and dread making that walk back especially with snow like there will be... freakin work out.. good luck    1/2 mile is about right and then some.

Offline Oneida_slayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #71 on: Jan 02, 2014, 02:51 PM »
Mile arm isat black lake up north live right in marion wont fish that gay old bay ONEIDAN  EYEBALLS

Offline JackPerchSlayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #72 on: Jan 02, 2014, 03:26 PM »
I fish sodas a lot. I say check off the point on the north end. If you go to the point there are a lot of bars. There is a point that sticks out into he bay out there. On the south side of that point there is a little street named Maiden lane. There is a little spot to walk out there if the ice is safe and people are out there. If no people out t5here dont try it,. Peoplke fall in there all the time ealry and late ice. If not you can stay right up there on the north side. On the northwest side of the bay are a bunch of marenas. Thetre is a boat loaunch over there where you can walk out. Its uselly packed and you fish in ten to 15 feet. The slobs come in deeper water. If you get bait at the bay bridge (I recomend you do so) cross the bridge and turn on Lake Bluff road and there is a mareiana named conolies cove. There is always good early ice there. Like others said if its your first time follow the masses. THis year I am fishing Oneida becasue im close to it. Im missing my Sodas bay. I fish 4-5 days a week when im home from college on Sodas. Maiden lane is the ticket. If you get tot go there the hot spot is 2-3 hundred yards out and 100 to 150 east from the log cabin like house you will walk out from. I hope this helps. Let me know how you do. I am actually going to be on Sodas this weekend. Message me if you want my phone number.

Offline hinkydo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Jan 02, 2014, 03:55 PM »
Is it Sodas or Sodus, I always knew it as Sodus.

hinkydo

Offline TheManInBlack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #74 on: Jan 02, 2014, 04:23 PM »
Thanks.  I just started fishing Sodus last year, and did most of my fishing out of Spiegel, which was all right, but negotiating that steep downhill with gear is a bit tricky.  It was on one of those trips that we drove up to Third Creek and checked it out on the way back home.

Offline westwildlife

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #75 on: Jan 02, 2014, 04:24 PM »
what depth are you guys catching them this time of year?

Offline iceauger

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 1lb11oz Sodus bay
« Reply #76 on: Jan 02, 2014, 07:06 PM »
Hey rick your right about that walk I've walked that one quite a few times. That truck sure does look small when your way out there but most days it was worth it. Have you been out at all this year?                                                                           

auger :tipup:

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #77 on: Jan 02, 2014, 07:17 PM »
Hoping this snow stops sometime soon! I wanna get out on sodus! Maybe sunday or monday.

Offline madbomberJr1997

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #78 on: Jan 02, 2014, 08:11 PM »
Make sure u Let me know the conditions Sunday!
Fish caught:
Northern- 0/10
Perch- 0/8
Blue gill- 0/12
Crappie- 0/5

Offline hardwater Rick

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • THROW THE SMALL ONES BACK!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #79 on: Jan 03, 2014, 05:22 AM »
Hey rick your right about that walk I've walked that one quite a few times. That truck sure does look small when your way out there but most days it was worth it. Have you been out at all this year?                                                                           

auger :tipup:
        Auger  Have not been out there yet, with the temps up and down, until now. no chances for me, now all this snow.
 at my house we got 9 inches yesterday, now I wake up this morning, another 6  yikes..

I have made that walk in 2 ft of snow, no lie, I thought I was going to die coming back, one guy was trying to get out with a 4 wheeler..  they were pushing every 10 ft, did not get far.
I am going to wait awhile  good luck out there, stay safe.

Offline keukaperch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #80 on: Jan 03, 2014, 08:06 AM »
I did miss speak, its about a half mile to the deep water, 150 yards will get you to 10ft deep and I do see a few guys fishing there, not sure how they do but I always have better luck out deep. Would like to get out with the wheeler tomorrow, ice was 4" thick Wednesday I would think it would be thicker with temps but not sure how much snow is on the ice and how much ice grew with snow on it, anybody see any wheelers out there yet?

Offline Pequod1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #81 on: Jan 03, 2014, 08:49 AM »
One of the worse wheeler days I had on Sodus was three yrs ago. We had over a foot of snow on the ice that turned the ice underneath to that horrible water/slush. Even with 4 wheel drive and chains on all four tires, we were stuck numerous times. Even had to get help from a few more guys to push, run the thing in.  First thing I did when I got tho the car was buy a sled! Best move ever, sled for snow, wheeler for glaze ice.

Offline bunnyasassyn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #82 on: Jan 03, 2014, 08:53 AM »
we must of been there that same day pequod it was terrible! go 10yds unhook everything get moving again and get stuck...over and over and over. i also bought a sled right after that!

Offline keukaperch

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #83 on: Jan 03, 2014, 08:57 AM »
We have tracks for our wheeler, best 10k my buddy ever spent lol

Offline fisherman1939

• IceShanty Rookie
  • JIG...JIG...JIG...
« Reply #84 on: Jan 03, 2014, 11:11 AM »
One of the worse wheeler days I had on Sodus was three yrs ago. We had over a foot of snow on the ice that turned the ice underneath to that horrible water/slush. Even with 4 wheel drive and chains on all four tires, we were stuck numerous times. Even had to get help from a few more guys to push, run the thing in.  First thing I did when I got tho the car was buy a sled! Best move ever, sled for snow, wheeler for glaze ice.

Boy do I remember that day Jim! We had one hell of a time. Hope to see you out there soon buddy.

Offline jrachow1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #85 on: Jan 03, 2014, 11:55 AM »
Planning a trip to Sodus tomorrow.  Anyone know if wheelers or snowmobiles have been on the ice?  Thinking of trying the northwest corner.  Thanks.

Offline beez

• IceShanty Rookie
  • GET THE NET!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #86 on: Jan 03, 2014, 12:36 PM »
I have no idea about the west side but the east side has 5" of black ice and about two inches of white ice but there is a foot of snow on the ice

Offline Pequod1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #87 on: Jan 03, 2014, 02:15 PM »
   "Boy do I remember that day Jim! We had one hell of a time. Hope to see you out there soon buddy."

The season has now officially started for me Rick. I will p.m. you before I head out therre. Going to try a new technique this year - they are called tip downs or tip ups or tipsy do's I don't know - never used them before ;D ;D ;D

Offline Sodusitous

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • That hole ain't gonna drill it's self !
« Reply #88 on: Jan 03, 2014, 02:28 PM »
You guys are going to think I'm crazy but my family has had a cottage on the bay for 20 yrs. and this year will be the first time I have ever tried to ice fish. looking forward to some fun times. Any pointers on where to start would be appreciated. Our cottage is pretty near Grassy point. thanks!
"More is lost to indecision than wrong decision"

Offline TheManInBlack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #89 on: Jan 03, 2014, 04:09 PM »
Going to try a new technique this year - they are called tip downs

Tip-downs work awesome for perch on the bays on Lake Ontario!  We have been using them for years now, and catch most of our fish on them.  Seems many of the perch in the bays hit so light, they don't trip the traditional tip-ups with flags, but get a rocking tip-down where there is no resistance, and you see a lot more bites and catch a lot more fish.

My only advice is if you get into the fish pretty good, don't put them too far apart or you'll be running around like a mad man!

Have fun and good luck!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.