New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Sandy pond  (Read 29000 times)

Offline FishTank19

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Sandy pond
« Reply #180 on: Jan 13, 2011, 09:23 PM »
Are the fish okay to eat out of Sandy Pond?  Charlotte is one of the most polluted spots on Lake Ontario.  Just something I have been wondering about, I may very well be wrong though.

where the heck is charlotte? and I hope so too seeing I have been eating them since I was a toddler...

Offline iceplank

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #181 on: Jan 14, 2011, 01:33 AM »
Charlotte is about 90 miles west on the midwestern partof lake ontario ???  where kodak and the lovely genesse dump into the lake off the port of rochester...as far as I know
friends dont let friends fish dead holes.

Offline pondskipper

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • AT THE SOUND OF MY NAME, FISH TREMBLE!
« Reply #182 on: Jan 14, 2011, 12:55 PM »
Anyone fishing greens point tonight?

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hunt the Best, Hunt a Brittany! RIP Otto
« Reply #183 on: Jan 14, 2011, 03:07 PM »
Looking forward to my first ever visit to Sandy Pond on Sunday!  Is the Wig Wam a place to park or is there a bait shop there? 

I'll look in these older threads later tonight and probably find it right away.  But in the meantime.....

Thanks!

Offline lovetofish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #184 on: Jan 14, 2011, 04:11 PM »
Otto.   Woodys bait in port Ontario.  Its on rout 3 google it.  watch out for them fish... Real bad to eat. Turn u green. Made me fat and lazy. Had to buy a four wheeler to go get them.

Offline Jawk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #185 on: Jan 14, 2011, 06:15 PM »
Looking forward to my first ever visit to Sandy Pond on Sunday!  Is the Wig Wam a place to park or is there a bait shop there? 

I'll look in these older threads later tonight and probably find it right away.  But in the meantime.....

Thanks!

Hi, sent you a email, as your address was not visiable, I don't know if it went to u. Anyway I have fished the pond several times and am near u (jordan). If you want a partner Sunday. Reply this thread or reply by email if mine gets to you. Jawk

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #186 on: Jan 14, 2011, 06:53 PM »
Jawk, see your PM

Lovetofish, thanks for info on woody's,  got it down.

Otto

Offline ryanrobb52

• IceShanty Rookie
Sandy Pond Newbie
« Reply #187 on: Jan 15, 2011, 07:04 AM »
I'm planning on taking my 7 year old son out this weekend on Sandy Pond for his birthday.  We are both ice fishing junkies and almost always take the trip up to the Thousand Islands to ice fish.  I have heard that Sandy Pond is a good place to fish for Pike and the perch should keep the youngster busy in between flags.  I'd never fished up there before though and have no idea where to go.  I am quite familiar with the area though if someone could please point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.  I do have an ATV so if that helps then great. 

On a side note, the poor kid had a terrible birthday this week (Dad was in Colorado for a meeting all week and Mom got rushed into emergency surgery on the morning of his birthday) so I'm trying to make it up to him with a good fishing trip followed by Dad's famous fish fry.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Ryan

Offline Cusefan78

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #188 on: Jan 15, 2011, 12:16 PM »
Ryan you have a few choices. You can go out of the elms, the wig wam, and gp. Out if each area you will see where people are. It's pretty small and there are a ton of fish. I'll be up there tomorrow if you need to be pointed in the right direction. Pm me.
2011 King of the pond champion. Don't hate me cause I'm great!

Offline ryanrobb52

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #189 on: Jan 15, 2011, 01:46 PM »
Thanks for the info CuseFan!  Might be a little cold tomorrow but Monday looks good. 

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #190 on: Jan 16, 2011, 07:10 PM »
Went today, got there at, we at 8am and parked at the Elms Golf Course, $5, quick walk to the ice.  Pulling the 2-man shanty was tough, we made it about 2/3 of the way to the larger group of shantys further out.  Set up in 12' of water and sorted through many, many fish for those larger than 9".  Ended up with 35 9-12".  Minnows on a larger Caty jig or Kastmaster were the ticket today.  Only smaller fish interested in spikes.
The wind really picked up around 11 am and it slowed down but we still were catching a few along the way.  Left at 2 when it felt like we were going to go for a ride in the shanty. 
Came home and fried those fish up along with stuffed shells, roasted potatoes, greek salad, homemade wine, and Baileys on the rocks.  Bonus: The Jets win!  Perfect end to a perfect day! 

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing is what i live for-END OF STORY
« Reply #191 on: Jan 16, 2011, 07:18 PM »
Went today, got there at, we at 8am and parked at the Elms Golf Course, $5, quick walk to the ice.  Pulling the 2-man shanty was tough, we made it about 2/3 of the way to the larger group of shantys further out.  Set up in 12' of water and sorted through many, many fish for those larger than 9".  Ended up with 35 9-12".  Minnows on a larger Caty jig or Kastmaster were the ticket today.  Only smaller fish interested in spikes.
The wind really picked up around 11 am and it slowed down but we still were catching a few along the way.  Left at 2 when it felt like we were going to go for a ride in the shanty. 
Came home and fried those fish up along with stuffed shells, roasted potatoes, greek salad, homemade wine, and Baileys on the rocks.  Bonus: The Jets win!  Perfect end to a perfect day! 
sounds like a good day of ice fishing to me  @)
"HEY FREDDIE"-FISH ON! PROUD MEMBER OF THE OLLC

Offline AKA Kodiak

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #192 on: Jan 16, 2011, 07:39 PM »
Otto,i was out to,but at the wig,we kept 43 7 to 10 range.That walk kicked my butt.Im giving my fish to a friend at work,but when i read your dinner menu im havin seconds thoughts  lol
Came home and fried those fish up along with stuffed shells, roasted potatoes, greek salad, homemade wine

Offline gill catcher13126

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #193 on: Jan 16, 2011, 10:37 PM »
hey any good gills or crappies being caught at gp?
if there there ill catch em

Offline Otto

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #194 on: Jan 17, 2011, 08:19 AM »
We only make red wine, so that has to go with every meal.  It does!     As great as the meal was, I enjoyed it even more because I had my fishing buddies there with their girlfriends, and my wife and 2 daughters all at the same table for a nice relaxing meal.

The walk was tough, maybe 6-8" of snow on top at 8am.  From 8-10 or 10:30 there was no wind at all, the sun actually came out.  But after that it was blowing pretty hard and steady.  I am sure a lot of that snow has blown away by now.

I fish when I can and try not to let the weather stop me as I only get a limited number of days to get out there.

Offline townzee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #195 on: Jan 17, 2011, 07:13 PM »
I went out with my 7 year old daughter this morning. It was 17 below when we went out. Did pretty well, she got her first pike ever on her brand new jig rod. Had a great time. She had a blast, and didn't have a minute go by that she didn't have a fish on! I will post pics in the a.m.

Offline FishTank19

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #196 on: Jan 17, 2011, 07:59 PM »
Did well on the pond again with a nice limit. Measured every fish to be 9+. Threw back about 100 8 and smaller.

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing is what i live for-END OF STORY
« Reply #197 on: Jan 17, 2011, 08:02 PM »
Did well on the pond again with a nice limit. Measured every fish to be 9+. Threw back about 100 8 and smaller.

(Image removed from quote.)

nice looking catch  ;D ;D @)
"HEY FREDDIE"-FISH ON! PROUD MEMBER OF THE OLLC

Offline FishTank19

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #198 on: Jan 17, 2011, 08:03 PM »
Thanks it sure was cold! never stepped out of the shanty today.

Offline RJex77

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #199 on: Jan 17, 2011, 08:36 PM »
Can anyone tell me how far of a drag it is in yards from the the Elms,  Going to bring my father w/ me......just trying to get an idea never fished this spot..............than ks !!!!

Offline ChiefCatchemall

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #200 on: Jan 18, 2011, 04:08 AM »
Wish I could get into some of them nicer perch. It gets frustrating driving 50 mins to catch dink after dink. Have had 2 descent days out there on the pond. Ill figure it all out...Thinking about going wednesday morning giving it a shot. Would the guys that get out there on the pond today let me know how much snow is on the ice when you get back in? Hopefully a lot of it blew off...Good luck out there today guys!
It'll eat.

Offline techyfisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #201 on: Jan 18, 2011, 11:47 AM »
Finally got out first trip this year last Saturday. Nice walk out not so nice getting back in. 3 of use in the shanty caught fish all day. Kept about 30 10" and better couple of nice slobs. I did best with a hook and a minnow. They wanted it right on the bottom. Great day of fishing!!!!

Offline ChiefCatchemall

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #202 on: Jan 18, 2011, 04:00 PM »
Nobody can tell me what the walking conditions are like out of the elms?
It'll eat.

Offline townzee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #203 on: Jan 18, 2011, 04:36 PM »
I was out yesterday. It wasnt too bad a few drifts, and some slush here and there. We havnt gotten anymore snow today, and it was below 0 yesterday, so I would say your good to go.

Offline slobhoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #204 on: Jan 18, 2011, 06:36 PM »
how much ice is on the pond now

Offline townzee

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #205 on: Jan 18, 2011, 08:06 PM »
I was on about 8"-9" off the Elms yesterday.

Offline csmolins

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #206 on: Jan 19, 2011, 10:59 AM »
Was planning on heading to the pond this week with my daughter for some perch.  Where's the best spot to head right now (Wigwam, Elms, or GP)??  I think she would be happier with quantity over quality.

Any hints on presentation??

Have only been to the Pond a couple of times and know the area, but not the fishing.

Thanks

Offline conesusguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #207 on: Jan 19, 2011, 12:26 PM »
Where exactly is Sandy Pond located?
This sport takes a certain amount of character in a man that we all should respect and take pride in.

Offline slobhoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #208 on: Jan 19, 2011, 01:16 PM »

Offline slobhoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #209 on: Jan 19, 2011, 01:16 PM »
on lake ontario just north of pulaski

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum