New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: catch and release  (Read 2227 times)

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
catch and release
« on: Mar 07, 2009, 06:13 AM »
 now this is for real and not to start a fight ....i read on here all this catch and release, as a panfish man if it's a good perch crappiee or gill he goes  in the grease for me but i read  all these  people talking catch and release and preaching it like it's right out of the bible, i admit i have seen a few tigers go back and pike but other then that i have never seen anyone catch and release is fish in over 40 years of ice fishing i have never run into a ice fisherman that was catch and releasing slab crappies or perch! pike yes! trout yes! rest of you i think are  joking sorry!!!! and i fish almost everyday and fish alot of area
                                                                                                              sorry don't believe it
                                                                                                                          trap

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: catch and release
« Reply #1 on: Mar 07, 2009, 06:22 AM »
If it is a legal fish then keep it if you want or throw it back..........NOBODY has the right to tell you to do otherwise....or say anything to you for keeping it.

If you start talking about a marlin or some other species that is struggling it makes more sense to preach catch and release but they are still legal to kill so even then NOBODY should say anything.
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #2 on: Mar 07, 2009, 07:22 AM »
I can't stand the preachers on here trying to make people feel guilty about keeping gamefish. I enjoy the sport of fishing, and I really like to eat the fish I catch - I keep all legal panfish and lake trout, and pike over 24" and a lot of good-sized pickerel. Obviously I do not keep bass, and I am happy to release them or any fish that is short or out of season. I follow the rules, period. If the rules happen to change because the DEC determines that they should, I will still continue to follow them - they must know what they are doing when they set the size and creel limits, or at least they know more than any of us do.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline troutguy1377

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • soak your jig in cider
« Reply #3 on: Mar 07, 2009, 08:48 AM »
I keep enough fish in the early season to have a nice meal about twice a week. When I have enough
in the freezer I start to CPR. But I don't fish for pan fish, mainly trout is what I target.
So after I catch about 20 trout I release the rest.

Offline Madpuppy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • CAGA HOKUWA
« Reply #4 on: Mar 07, 2009, 09:03 AM »
I normally keep what I catch, like dfuller said I love to eat fish. All kinds of fish and I like to cook (I cook with my wife in our restaurant).  The only time I release is if I don't catch enough for a meal or I have enough in the freezer, otherwise it goes in the fryer. I wonder, do all the total catch and release guys also hunt deer with rubber bullets :laugh:
I'D RATHER BE HATED FOR WHO I AM,
THAN LOVED FOR WHO I'M NOT.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Mar 07, 2009, 09:29 AM »
i'm not pointing fingers or saying anything bad about no one if i catch it it's legal and big enough chances it's going home! there is no rust on  my fillet knife but after all the c and release preaching i have heard  i have yet to see a slab crabbie released or a 14 inch perch !!!! i mean that i'm begining to thing we'll talk c& r on the internet then the bucket of  perch go home lol....trout i know you do release some trout and thats ok sir and i have seen pile go back down the hole but panfish  lol sorry  but i think there sticking there chest out and maybe telling us a fish story( i notice only people admitting they eat fish posted lol )..... perch it's the other white meat  :)
                                                                                                                           god bless
                                                                                                                              trap

Offline Captain1978

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 07, 2009, 09:44 AM »
Hey if you catch it and it's legal eat on buddy!  Me personally I mostly throw um back. Sometimes I take a Walleye or a few nice Perch home, but I mostly fish for the sport.  I do joke on here a bit to throw the Pike back so they can get bigger...  But again eat um legally!!! Oh and if I get Trout (which I am going to target this spring) To my frying pan they go !!!
EL CAPITANO !!!

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #7 on: Mar 07, 2009, 10:23 AM »
I usually catch n release, but I'll keep some for a nice dinner.  Most are released to grow some more (too small) before they end up in the pan. 

If I catch enough to make filleting worth while, I keep.  Its a hit or miss thing with me.  Some times I just feel like fishing, and not catching.  (Alone time).

kb
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Mar 07, 2009, 10:26 AM »
ain't nothing wrong with that kb

Offline troutguy1377

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • soak your jig in cider
« Reply #9 on: Mar 07, 2009, 10:35 AM »
I usually catch n release, but I'll keep some for a nice dinner.  Most are released to grow some more (too small) before they end up in the pan. 

If I catch enough to make filleting worth while, I keep.  Its a hit or miss thing with me.  Some times I just feel like fishing, and not catching.  (Alone time).

kb

Right on kb, that is my excuse when I dont catch anything LOL ;) ;D

Offline TomPico

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Life is just a chemical reaction
« Reply #10 on: Mar 07, 2009, 11:49 AM »
I don't keep anything unless it a trout. I just don't care for the other stuff. I do love hooking into those pike though.

Offline combsey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • take a friend fishing
« Reply #11 on: Mar 07, 2009, 01:49 PM »
only keep what im going to eat the rest go back or on the wall ;D
proud supporter of P. E. T. A.
(People Eating Tasty Animals)

Offline Camp Bassfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Baaaaa Baaaaa
« Reply #12 on: Mar 07, 2009, 02:02 PM »
I caught a real nice Snakehead out in syracuse, let him go though.  ;D

Offline rgfixit

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Mar 07, 2009, 03:20 PM »
I caught a real nice Snakehead out in syracuse, let him go though.  ;D
I heard you cheated....I mean....fishing in an aquarium.....really... .. :-\

Ya know...that's what the guy should do....have the "thing" mounted and sell it on ebay. That ought to pay for a nurse shark or 2 to keep him happy.
RG

And Trapper...why did you have to start this one...again......I mean....com'on dude...you knew it would get ugly sooner or later ::)

RG
"Did you ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo and you were a pair of brown shoes?"

Offline nessman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Mar 07, 2009, 09:20 PM »
I fish for the sport so for me it's catch and release.  I love seafood, but I'm not up to the task of filleting what I catch... so no point in wasting a fish when it could be someone else's lunch later on. 

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Mar 08, 2009, 08:07 AM »
Good job nessman keeping it clean. I love to eat fish. So I keep most of what I catch within the reg's. Fish fries at moms with my kids is just another way of getting enjoyment out of fishing. If I can't get the family together to catch them, I can always get us together to eat 'um. Cut trap some slack rg. It could've been another "salting" thread for you to read while holding a finger over the ever so powerful "ixnay" button. Just kidding guys.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline gumpy2

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • It's gator time...
« Reply #16 on: Mar 08, 2009, 08:21 AM »
" A SPORTSMAN passes on deer.  If you never pass on a deer than your nothing but a killer. "  - Lanny Benoit

I think the same is true with fishing.  There is a line between harvesting and keeping a catch and being a glutton.

"Porkers??  You talkin' about porkers Mr. Hoopa?"

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Mar 08, 2009, 09:22 AM »
" A SPORTSMAN passes on deer.  If you never pass on a deer than your nothing but a killer. "  - Lanny Benoit

I think the same is true with fishing.  There is a line between harvesting and keeping a catch and being a glutton.

As a general rule the deer you pass on are younger, smaller etc and not necessarily "keepers"............i passed up a spike on the second day of bow...broadside at 15 yards......cuz he was only a spike and i figured i would get another shot.....which i didn't.
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline jrmPikeFreak

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing For Life!!!
« Reply #18 on: Mar 08, 2009, 12:09 PM »
I'm strictly a c&r guy unless it's big enough to go on my wall. I'm not into cleaning them and i really only fish for pike,tigers,walleye and bass and i have only caught one fish big enough to go on my wall and that was a 7.5lb walleye(which i put back).i could care less if some one keeps a fish unless it is too small to keep. one of my favorite fishing holes has been fished out do to people keeping really small pike that aren't big enough to eat.this place is a smaller area and is not stocked and relies on natural reproduction. if you keep on taking small fish out of a area like this it will have negative affects.

Offline iceplank

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Mar 08, 2009, 02:47 PM »
perch and gills die if i have room in the freezer. we eat alot of them and they never go to waste.. i like to keep a couple dozen may walleyes and release the bigger fish over 21 inches and the summer fish. or any from lake ontario i love  smallmouth fishing and its all c and r. after 27 years on lake ontario i really dont target trout and salmon anymore unless i can get back there for a while .that has always been catch and release(yuk). i will keep  a meal of saratoga crappies also.
friends dont let friends fish dead holes.

Offline Laker Taker1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Mar 08, 2009, 05:25 PM »
I see a lot of people practice catch and release.  Sure most people keep nice perch and crappies but I see the big species being released often.  I'm not one who preaches it but I try to release most trout and pike.  I only have issues with people keeping fish when they spend an entire winter on a small body of water and really damage the fishery which I have witnessed happen near me on a few occassions.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #21 on: Mar 08, 2009, 05:32 PM »
i do with game fish  maybe it's what people target honestly i never seen anyone target panfish   (crappies or perch) and release i really want to know if they do???? i don't think this is going to get ugly !!!! seems like everyone is getting along we just need to share the hot pink grubs ;D
                                                                                                                                     trap

Offline marcus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Mar 08, 2009, 05:40 PM »
I keep and eat a good number of the fish I catch (perch mostly) . I will keep certain sized pike or if they are deep hooked I take them . I did find a sweet little pond within a half hour of my house that I pretty much have to myself there I will release big gills , if I already have a few and am confident I can get what my family needs for the night without taking them. I care about the future of our sport , but I know that in a large body of water we cannot , with the limits set today really do any damage to perch or other panfish populations. That being said I rarely take the very easy limit in the lake I fish but perch taste too good to not clean up 20 or so for dinner. Times the way they are for my family  we are eating alot of fresh fish this year and thats a good thing for right now.

Offline piker1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • here fishy,fishy
« Reply #23 on: Mar 08, 2009, 06:14 PM »
I keep the perch that we get up to a certian size..smaller then 9" we put back so they can get bigger for the next time. Pike I alwasys put back, just love to fish for them,same with bass..Only fish I keep is perch n walleye for summer meal of fish n venson ( poor mans surf n turf)...biggest eye I got was 361/2" 12 3/4 pds,buddy had him filleted while I wa puting gear up,was giong to put on wall opps....48" pike at mud bay got pics put back.Only way keep bass is if someone eat's them give them the bass...... ;D
If your not fishing, your not living.....

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Mar 08, 2009, 06:23 PM »
i don't keep a lot of bass or pike ..... even the big walleyes down to oswego ...but the ones from onidea  come home ;D...trout i'm not a fan of but i love catching them gills crappies and perch well............. ;D
                                                                                                                                   trap

Offline SPADED

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Watch my rod while i pee...
« Reply #25 on: Dec 07, 2010, 11:58 AM »
i live with my G/F and she wont eat fish. i personally like fish but i wont go thru the trouble of making here cook something that she dont know how to prepare. and i wont do it myself if i know she is cooking up something anyways, why cook two meals? BUT... my neighbor is older then dirt and he loves fish like me, so i take him with me everynow and then and even if he dont make it out, if im getting some really nice crappie i will bring them home fillet them up and his wife fries em up and i steal a couple fish fingers before i cross the street back home  ;D

Offline shark

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Dec 07, 2010, 12:37 PM »
I normally keep what I catch, like dfuller said I love to eat fish. All kinds of fish and I like to cook (I cook with my wife in our restaurant).  The only time I release is if I don't catch enough for a meal or I have enough in the freezer, otherwise it goes in the fryer. I wonder, do all the total catch and release guys also hunt deer with rubber bullets :laugh:

Naw...... they use paintball guns
How's the ice

adam2000

« Reply #27 on: Dec 07, 2010, 12:57 PM »
walleye and perch go home with me END OF STORY, i dont c and r anything on the ice if its legal size, lawyers

Offline SKilo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 07, 2010, 01:40 PM »
I often wondered the size for catch and release practices on those panfish as well. How big is too big to keep and how small is too small to keep? With these kinds of fish there isn't much room to be too selective, imo.

I like to practice fish karma meaning I only keep what I need. It usually involves throwing back the small ones and the big ones (bigger than a frying pan) and only keeping what I'll have for dinner and a bit for the freezer, after that everything is c&r.

I wonder about c&r due to the lakes fish population vs size of the fish. If a lake has nothing but smaller sizes due to fishing pressure shouldn't this be an item for the fish and game department to examine? I'm not saying that some of the responsibilities doesn't fall on the anglers but ultimately the COs are the experts.

Offline Laker Taker1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Dec 07, 2010, 01:53 PM »
I just read a study that a large female walleye will produce about 500,000 eggs annually. Only about 25,000 will hatch, and of those fry, only 2 will reach sexual maturity.  Something to think about when fishing for large game species.  I keep my share of fish too but we have to be conscious of the big picture.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.