New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Laker fishing  (Read 2728 times)

Offline Spinmoney

• IceShanty Rookie
Laker fishing
« on: Jan 16, 2023, 09:10 PM »
Looking to go for lakers this weekend and not sure where to try. Not looking for anything crazy big just some action. Is blue mountain lake or raqqutte lake worth it or should I look else where

Offline Spinmoney

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Laker fishing
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2023, 09:19 PM »
Also looking into the chain lakes or south pond. Any input would be great

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 17, 2023, 06:18 AM »
chain lakes might not be very safe, can get out on the other three tho

Offline Spinmoney

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 17, 2023, 07:19 AM »
chain lakes might not be very safe, can get out on the other three tho

Okay. Which one would you recommend for laker action? Like I said doesn’t have to be for huge fish jsut for action

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #4 on: Jan 17, 2023, 10:26 AM »
Okay. Which one would you recommend for laker action? Like I said doesn’t have to be for huge fish jsut for action

Just will depend on the day. Havent fished south but have the other two. You can have fun days on both and also have days where youre going to really grind it out.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 17, 2023, 11:08 AM »

Go try them and let us know which one had the most action.  You could prob fish two of them in one day if you so chose.  I checked on 5 lakes in that area over the weekend and fished 2.  Caught a laker both days but the action wasn't fast and furious.  We drilled a lot of holes to find finnicky fish.
westernmas on the finder

Offline Spinmoney

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 17, 2023, 05:13 PM »
Go try them and let us know which one had the most action.  You could prob fish two of them in one day if you so chose.  I checked on 5 lakes in that area over the weekend and fished 2.  Caught a laker both days but the action wasn't fast and furious.  We drilled a lot of holes to find finnicky fish.

Will most likely try south pond first since it is a smaller shallower lake that way I can drop down a camera

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2023, 05:23 AM »

Open water, laker counts in the 20's.  Lakers up there are zzzzz

Offline Spinmoney

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2023, 06:51 AM »

Any other smaller lakes up that way you would recommend trying?

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2023, 08:22 AM »

I like checking out new spots.  Scenery up there can't be beat.  Had 3 small prop planes buzz around us for a bit. 

I remember a guy who used to say boat fish don't count and would sneak on 2" of ice for a shot at a mud shark through the ice.
westernmas on the finder

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2023, 08:25 AM »
I dont know any.  I have been jigging the big lakes for them in open water.  Its been wild, lots of lakers without hundreds of guys chasing them. 
I like checking out new spots.  Scenery up there can't be beat.  Had 3 small prop planes buzz around us for a bit. 

I remember a guy who used to say boat fish don't count and would sneak on 2" of ice for a shot at a mud shark through the ice.

You still know him.  He'll be on that 2" before anyone if and when it sets up.  You know this!

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #11 on: Jan 18, 2023, 10:38 AM »

I was out there for that as well. Cool to see. The Yellow plane is owned by a local. Brutal day fishing for our group however, at least the weather pleasant. Found a much better bite when we were back out monday.

Offline pmaloney86

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 18, 2023, 10:53 AM »
I was out there for that as well. Cool to see. The Yellow plane is owned by a local. Brutal day fishing for our group however, at least the weather pleasant. Found a much better bite when we were back out monday.

Yeah it was a grind but did get a buddy on his first two lakers and one was pretty chunky.
westernmas on the finder

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Jan 18, 2023, 11:08 AM »

Im sorry Zach 5-7 lakers isnt a better bite its a nap!

Offline Spinmoney

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 18, 2023, 06:07 PM »

How is blue mountain lake for lakers? Is it worth it because I’m now seeing south pond is no bait fish

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #15 on: Jan 19, 2023, 08:00 AM »
Im sorry Zach 5-7 lakers isnt a better bite its a nap!

Beggers cant be choosers. For my options that day (i do appreciate the invite if the message wasnt relayed), and how the fishing was the day prior, i cant complain. Helped a friend catch their first laker jigging and that brookie was one of the prettiest fish ive ever caught. Just hoping long range forecast holds and we can get onto some bigger water soon.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #16 on: Jan 19, 2023, 01:37 PM »
You're welcome.  The roads were icy that am so I decided to avoid towing the boat.  I kid about the laker count, sometimes thats how it goes.

Offline samoljets

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 19, 2023, 06:46 PM »
Raquette is fun for lakers.  You can catch a bunch in the 13-20 inch range there.  Great tip up action in 30 fow in the flats.  Can jig a few with white tubes in the same depth.  Not tons of size but good action

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #18 on: Jan 19, 2023, 07:14 PM »
Raquette is fun for lakers.  You can catch a bunch in the 13-20 inch range there.  Great tip up action in 30 fow in the flats.  Can jig a few with white tubes in the same depth.  Not tons of size but good action

I went on the WW Durant cruise boat on Raquette last summer. The prerecorded narration mentioned that during the lake trout egg harvesting procedure by the DEC in the fall of, I think 2017, a 32 pound laker was netted and then released. If caught by an angler then it would have been a state record fish. It probably weighs over 40 pounds now if still alive.
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline Spinmoney

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 19, 2023, 09:20 PM »

Where is the access on the north end. It’s almost a 2 hour drive so I don’t want to be driving around all morning looking for the trail down to the lake

Offline ECobb91

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 20, 2023, 02:04 PM »
Only access I know if I’m the north end is off of North Point Rd. Depending on where you’re coming from it’s a long drive to get there. For reference, from Utica it takes an extra 40min at least to get to the parking area. Then you’re looking at a 2 mile walk to get to the main lake.

Or you can drive down to brandeth and park along the road, which I don’t think they plow.

Google maps and tax maps are your friend to find access and roads

Offline pixleyken

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Jan 20, 2023, 04:00 PM »
What about the access/canoe portage spot off county route 3 where you can walk back and forth to forked lake, can you access Raquette from there?

Offline Spinmoney

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Jan 20, 2023, 05:12 PM »
Only access I know if I’m the north end is off of North Point Rd. Depending on where you’re coming from it’s a long drive to get there. For reference, from Utica it takes an extra 40min at least to get to the parking area. Then you’re looking at a 2 mile walk to get to the main lake.

Or you can drive down to brandeth and park along the road, which I don’t think they plow.

Google maps and tax maps are your friend to find access and roads

Accessed today on north point road. Fine walk in but the walk out was hell. Heavy wet snow stopped my jet sled in its tracks. Nearly passed out from exhaustion hopefully cold will harder up the snow so I can go from there again

Offline pixleyken

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 20, 2023, 06:18 PM »
Thanks for the info, how much ice you have on the end of the lake?

Offline Spinmoney

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Jan 20, 2023, 06:30 PM »
Thanks for the info, how much ice you have on the end of the lake?

Didn’t measure but I would imagine 8-9 inches. Very good ice though no isssues at all

Offline samoljets

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 24, 2023, 03:35 PM »
I went on the WW Durant cruise boat on Raquette last summer. The prerecorded narration mentioned that during the lake trout egg harvesting procedure by the DEC in the fall of, I think 2017, a 32 pound laker was netted and then released. If caught by an angler then it would have been a state record fish. It probably weighs over 40 pounds now if still alive.

I heard that they were essentially the strain that got stocked in other Adirondack lakes.  They have a great dark color to them

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #26 on: Jan 25, 2023, 06:32 AM »

I heard that they were essentially the strain that got stocked in other Adirondack lakes.  They have a great dark color to them

I feel like the lakers ive caught on raquette were consistently the darkest lakers ive caught on any of the adk lakes. Such cool fish in there

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #27 on: Jan 25, 2023, 06:45 AM »
Very dark.. ;)

Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Adironzach

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Certified Doe Dragger
« Reply #28 on: Jan 25, 2023, 08:51 AM »
A couple of the darker ones I could find from years past. Nothing huge but the laker my buddy caught in the first photo was one of darkest lakers I’ve seen. Love those dark adk fish

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.