The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Vexilar battery Life?  (Read 4000 times)

Offline TJet Apprentice45

• Team IceShanty Regular
Vexilar battery Life?
« on: Nov 21, 2012, 02:36 PM »
So  I got my Vex out the other day to get things ready for some day when there's ice and it wouldn't take a charge.  Only had it two seasons now.  What has everyone been getting for Battery life from the batteries that come with your Vex?  Two years seems short for how little it really gets used durning the season but maybe that has something to do with a shorter life???
Slugs "N" Sinkers Jet Boating

Offline bpiatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Vexilar battery Life?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2012, 02:42 PM »
So  I got my Vex out the other day to get things ready for some day when there's ice and it wouldn't take a charge.  Only had it two seasons now.  What has everyone been getting for Battery life from the batteries that come with your Vex?  Two years seems short for how little it really gets used durning the season but maybe that has something to do with a shorter life???

Batteries slowly discharge on their own. Did you charge it up once every 3 months over the off season? Maintaining the battery over the summer will greatly increase its life span. If you haven't charged it during the off season chances are that its completely discharged and you need a new one. 

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2012, 02:54 PM »
Definately didn't get it out this summer every three months, maybe twice since last hard water.  Good to know going forward, lesson learned.

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #3 on: Nov 21, 2012, 03:02 PM »
Seems like 2-3 years whether is maintained or not. Are you  sure the charger is working. (indictor lights?) But the you always hear of someone that has a battery that lasts a decade...go figure...

Offline bpiatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 21, 2012, 03:05 PM »
Definately didn't get it out this summer every three months, maybe twice since last hard water.  Good to know going forward, lesson learned.

Live and learn, I've done it too. Some people recommend replacing your batteries every two years anyway, even if its still working. They say after two years your battery could die at anytime and not take a charge. I think if you take care of it and never completely discharge you can get way more life.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 21, 2012, 03:10 PM »
Yea the charger is working and the indicator light is working, it just won't take a charge.  Adding new battery to the list to take to Scheels next week. 

Offline needin2fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Nov 21, 2012, 05:27 PM »
This will hopefully be my 5th year on mine. I always fully charge then disconnect the battery for storage over the summer.

Offline flylinemt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 21, 2012, 07:43 PM »
Bpiat is right my first vex did the same thing to me after one year. I learned the hard way, now I maintain mine about every two months in the off season. But I know guys don't do any off season charging without problems .Some batteries must be better than others.

Offline fishinwithbrittanies

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 21, 2012, 08:44 PM »
Don't know if this helps or not but I replaced mine at Batteries + last year.  The one I had worked but I wasn't getting the life out of it I was used to.
After doing a little research I remember they were quite a bit cheaper than replacing one from the manufacture.  I have a marcum, but I'd bet they're all the same batteries anyway
Its better to have hooked and lost than to have never hooked at all - J.B.

*WARNING*  This man fishes with dogs off leash

Offline Hood

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 21, 2012, 09:38 PM »
Mine crapped out in its 5th year, 3 yrs now on thew new one.

Offline Gillfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 21, 2012, 09:48 PM »

8 + years on my FL-18 and still going strong

Here is an Astronomy lesson - The world revolves around the sun, not you!

Offline MT204

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 21, 2012, 10:38 PM »
My first battery lasted 7 years. The secret is to throw away the "wall wart" style charger and get a quality maintenance  style charger and let the battery charge all the time.

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 22, 2012, 09:33 AM »
I plug mine in monthly and it's been going 5 years.

Replacing your battery every two years is wasteful and who ever claimed they'll just randomly die is full of doo doo.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Nov 22, 2012, 09:38 AM »

i don't depend on the lights i check mine with a volt meter , mine is now about 7 years and still going

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #14 on: Nov 22, 2012, 12:00 PM »
The batteries aren't that expensive, I'd rather get a new one every few years and know that it will work all day when I need it to.

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Nov 22, 2012, 12:34 PM »
Mine will be 9 years old this winter. When we have ice here in Pa. I will fish 4 -5 times a week. I come home let it warm up 2 hours and charge it every time I used it. At the end of the season I charge it and do it again in Aug. or Sept. I'm sure I'll need one soon, but I hope the next one gives me as many years.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 27, 2012, 05:50 PM »
I picked up a charger that once the battery is fully charged, drops back to a trickle charger to maintain. Along the same lines of "Summer Maintenance", the power auger also is fired up once a month. Plus I run SeaFoam additive in it as well.  :tipup:

Offline Zoo Angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Don't sweat the small fish!
« Reply #17 on: Nov 27, 2012, 11:09 PM »
ugh... I was getting ready to go out this morning and pulled the charger off my marcum and what do ya know, it didn't take a charge all night. Oh well. I went and purchased a new battery for $17.99 from wholesale sports and it's good to go for tomorrow now. This would have been the start to the third season for mine so yeah mine did not fair as well as the others.

Offline Robbi

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Nov 28, 2012, 01:30 AM »
Yeah, looks like my vexilar battery went "tango uniform" on me too.........thought it was weak last year, then didn't keep it maintained over the summer......

do they sell them locally in Great Falls somewhere?

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Nov 28, 2012, 07:10 AM »
Scheels typically carries them, I haven't looked to hard at their selection this year.  If not, Roberts might carry them, I seem to remember seeing them there at one time or another.

Offline lookinforpanfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 01, 2012, 09:54 PM »
mine is going on 4 years and don't charge during summer

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #21 on: Dec 01, 2012, 09:57 PM »
Mines 8 years old I have never charged it during the summer.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.