Author Topic: HT Premium E Drill  (Read 3950 times)

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
HT Premium E Drill
« on: Oct 10, 2018, 10:57 AM »
Have you guys seen this one?   Looks like a drill mount/auger combo setup.  Nylon auger.   Looks interesting for sure.   8" package retails for $180

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: HT Premium E Drill
« Reply #1 on: Oct 10, 2018, 11:00 AM »
Do you have a link?
Da Pack!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Oct 10, 2018, 11:04 AM »
That is in the Reeds HT catalog.
<===Lefty===

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Oct 10, 2018, 11:07 AM »
<===Lefty===

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 10, 2018, 11:23 AM »
Don't believe I'd jump on that one until I heard favorable field reports. HT has a very spotty reputation for quality since so much of their product line is aimed at the low end of the market and their Chinese manufacturers are very hit and miss. Chinese blade steel in particular has a poor reputation. At $180 you're not far off what a Clam plate and an 8" Nero setup would run with much better long term usefulness.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Oct 10, 2018, 01:14 PM »
Doesn't HT market the Nero as well?   I'm not looking for a new one, just thought I'd share since I hadn't seen it anywhere yet. 

On a side note, I think the KDrill is directly responsible for changing the market.  Yes I know lots of people were using drill and hand augers or even dedicated elec units for a while before anyone even heard of a KDrill, but you have to admit, it's success (whether warranted or not) has forced other companies to jump in.    Kind of reminds me of the sonar revolution with the Vexilar.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Oct 10, 2018, 01:18 PM »
Yes HT markets the Nero. If that turns out good I might attach my Nero to it someday. Possibly not since I am going to an 6" this year and the 7" worked just fine without a clam plate.
<===Lefty===

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 10, 2018, 02:09 PM »
Doesn't HT market the Nero as well?   I'm not looking for a new one, just thought I'd share since I hadn't seen it anywhere yet. 

On a side note, I think the KDrill is directly responsible for changing the market.  Yes I know lots of people were using drill and hand augers or even dedicated elec units for a while before anyone even heard of a KDrill, but you have to admit, it's success (whether warranted or not) has forced other companies to jump in.    Kind of reminds me of the sonar revolution with the Vexilar.

The Nero augers aren't made to spec in China like most of the HT line is. They're made in Russia by Volzhanka and imported to North America by HT. Russians know how to make high spec crucible steel like the Germans , Swedes and Finns. And the Japanese. Chinese blade steel is just not as good. Blades are the last place you want to economize. There are some other brands of Russian augers like the Tonar which were good but have apparently shifted production to China. When Neros are made in China I'll be the first to put the stinkeye on them.

My personal bias is that KDrills are overrated, though popular. One man's sweetheart is another man's sweathog.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Junkie4Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Oct 10, 2018, 02:14 PM »

100% agree. Whoever came up with the drill adapters first might deserve some credit, but kdrill was the first to market an auger specifically for the drill which, like you mentioned, has completely changed the game.
Da Pack!

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #9 on: Oct 10, 2018, 02:34 PM »
That is a nice online catalog Reeds has there.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #10 on: Oct 10, 2018, 10:11 PM »
The Nero augers aren't made to spec in China like most of the HT line is. They're made in Russia by Volzhanka and imported to North America by HT. Russians know how to make high spec crucible steel like the Germans , Swedes and Finns. And the Japanese. Chinese blade steel is just not as good. Blades are the last place you want to economize. There are some other brands of Russian augers like the Tonar which were good but have apparently shifted production to China. When Neros are made in China I'll be the first to put the stinkeye on them.

My personal bias is that KDrills are overrated, though popular. One man's sweetheart is another man's sweathog.

Eh......Any more, I kinda disagree with this. I know we all preach the strikemaster sweeden blades.....which are good. But to be honest, the only bad steel blades I've ever ran into were some flat HT shaver blades from China over 10yrs ago. Since then I've had a few sets of eskimo chineese blades and have had no problems with them. Most the stuff we ice fish with is from China......seems to work. I'm not to worried about the chineese stuff anymore

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Oct 11, 2018, 06:22 AM »
Eh......Any more, I kinda disagree with this. I know we all preach the strikemaster sweeden blades.....which are good. But to be honest, the only bad steel blades I've ever ran into were some flat HT shaver blades from China over 10yrs ago. Since then I've had a few sets of eskimo chineese blades and have had no problems with them. Most the stuff we ice fish with is from China......seems to work. I'm not to worried about the chineese stuff anymore
I got to agree with this. I ran my Z51 for 8 years and just touched up the blades every other trip. The thing cut great and I loved it until I bought the Drill and Nero. China knows how their quality has been in the past and have made great efforts to improve on them.
<===Lefty===

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Oct 11, 2018, 07:28 AM »
My bias against Chinese steel was formed over the years based solely on negative reports on this forum. If the Chinese steel is now comparable to the European product, then I stand corrected. I'm curious why American made steel never seems to enter the discussion. Anybody out there understand tool steel global market economics? The KDrills are touted as American made but I'm wondering if they fabricate their own blades and if so, from what steel source. Their website makes no mention.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #13 on: Oct 11, 2018, 08:52 AM »
My bias against Chinese steel was formed over the years based solely on negative reports on this forum. If the Chinese steel is now comparable to the European product, then I stand corrected. I'm curious why American made steel never seems to enter the discussion. Anybody out there understand tool steel global market economics? The KDrills are touted as American made but I'm wondering if they fabricate their own blades and if so, from what steel source. Their website makes no mention.

I do think the sweeden blades hold an edge well and better then like the Eskimo chineese blades. However the Eskimo chineese blades hold up very well. I wouldn't pay more then $2-$3 more for the sweeden blades CS an Eskimo.

U.S. Steel cost more, but with tariffs that might change. Cost of steel & packaging in the U.S. Is why we don't see it would be my guess.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #14 on: Oct 11, 2018, 01:55 PM »
when it comes to strikemaster mora blades ill stick with Sweden made all day long.lots of guys around here and quite  a few guys I fish with thought they got good deals  on a mora..45 bucks  and under for a new auger, till they got 2 months or less on those china blades.strikemaster knew they were junk that's why they were doing exchanges for free for awhile.i have had good luck with the blades stamped vmc that are on some moras tho.wherever those are made.sorry to go off topic..

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #15 on: Oct 11, 2018, 08:35 PM »
Any places a guy could buy just the auger?

Offline wirenut45

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Oct 12, 2018, 05:22 AM »
Agro, i,m confused. which auger are you asking about? wire

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Oct 12, 2018, 05:58 AM »
Any places a guy could buy just the auger?
I think you have more augers than you are letting on. Most likely it is one of the HT augers they use with that system.
<===Lefty===

Offline Brushy19

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Nov 10, 2018, 10:38 PM »
Bump.... Anyone look at these yet? My main concern is the durability of the handles. If it falls over on the ice are the plastic handles going to break. Otherwise, for the price point it's looks like a good deal.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #19 on: Nov 10, 2018, 11:16 PM »
Agro, i,m confused. which auger are you asking about? wire

Just the nylon HT auger...I’ve got a clam plate....would just want the auger.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #20 on: Nov 10, 2018, 11:17 PM »
when it comes to strikemaster mora blades ill stick with Sweden made all day long.lots of guys around here and quite  a few guys I fish with thought they got good deals  on a mora..45 bucks  and under for a new auger, till they got 2 months or less on those china blades.strikemaster knew they were junk that's why they were doing exchanges for free for awhile.i have had good luck with the blades stamped vmc that are on some moras tho.wherever those are made.sorry to go off topic..

Moras still can be bought for $40-$45. Just go on eBay and new old stock Sweden blades can be picked up for $15.

RallyGreen

« Reply #21 on: Nov 14, 2018, 10:21 PM »
I am very interested in finding out what the inner diameter is of the E-drill's nylon flyting... just imagine if it happens to coincidentally fit on the same aluminum shaft as a kdrill! I am already seeing about ordering a few nylon sections from HT to try it. It sure beats 3d printing interlocking parts to achieve the same goal

Offline Lukaszu

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Nov 15, 2018, 08:25 AM »
HT is kinda like Clam... Just rebadged Chinese products

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.