Ice Fishing Tips -Check your local regulations! > Ice Fishing Transportation

Side by sides

<< < (2/4) > >>

Alex Delarge:
I took the plunge about a year ago. I did a lot of research but to be honest with you I've always been kind of partial to Yamaha. I scoped out the Polaris's, reviews on them were so-so. Many reviews said people always working on them. To be honest I think Polaris probably has the greater market share and with more of them out there, more of them are gonna be worked on but I had a Polaris snowsled and a 4 wheeler and worked on them a lot.
Can Am's are also popular around here, probably second to Polaris. They seem to have a good line up. I didn't look into them too much. I forget why, maybe I was less than impressed with their cab system.
I took a serious look at the Honda Pioneer. It has 4 seats which was at the top of the list for me. I think it has a transmission similar to a car or truck and read some reviews where they had problems with their transmission. The Honda was very pricey. Outfitted the way I wanted it was 5 grand more than the Yamaha.
I'm sure Kawasaki makes a good machine and the Teryx looks a lot like the Wolverine x4 I ended up getting.
Basically, I had run Yamaha motor cross's when I was young and then Yamaha street bikes when I got older and they always got me home. A big reason for my decision. The Yamaha CVT gets great reviews also.
I would look at your priorities, you said you want the big box. Do you want a 4 seater or will 2 do? Look at the maximum width allowed to ride on your trails. Some of these machines are made for farmers on the ranch and not allowed on recreational trails. Personally I think a 570cc would be under powered for a SXS and you'll probably be disappointed on the trails with one.
A couple of my priorities were 4X4, 4 seater, and a good cab system with heater. I'm not saying it's the best and it is certainly not the fastest but it suits my needs.

Chris338378:
In a perfect world I'd get one with the crew cab, totally enclosed cab, and heater.  Realistically I'd like to get one with the crew cab (front and back seats so I can take my wife and kids with me for rides) with a box big enough to put a deer or bear in the back and good power.  I know I'm not interested in the Polaris RZR or General or anything like them. 

badger132:

They have these in 2 and 4 door, with a dump box if you want. They are called "Japanese mini trucks" Google it.

Njdiverdan:
I have a 2012 Ranger 800.  Not the crew, but the wider that sits 3 across the front.  From a power standpoint the 800 has been great, even with a full box going up some Idaho mountains to pack in camp it has never struggled.  Very smooth ride with great suspension.  Also has a good center of gravity.  I can go up steep trails with the ranger that I cannot go up on my 4 wheeler without the front coming up. 

The down side to the ranger is the 4 wheel drive system.  It does not lock in.  In 4 wheel, the front wheels do not engage until the rear wheels slip.  More like an all wheel drive car than a 4 wheel drive truck.  This annoys me as I feel the back end slipping around and I want to power through it like I do with my truck or my can am 4 wheeler.  For the ranger, putting chains on the back makes it pretty much unstoppable so that is how I compensate.  Not sure how it would perform with tracks, but thinking about them.

ice dawg:
I have a Yamaha Viking 700 with eps and a full heated hard cab. It seats three in individual seats and the bed is big enough for a full size pallet to fit in. I may be too wide for trails, but we don't have any where I live. It is a very nice unit for ice fishing and I haul everything that two people need for a day of ice fishing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version