New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Spud Question  (Read 1118 times)

Offline jig_a_fish94

• IceShanty Rookie
Spud Question
« on: Feb 09, 2019, 09:33 AM »
Hey guys being inexperienced on the ice and only trying to go out with experienced guys. how often do you spud and what are you guys looking out for on the ice? I appreciate any help. Thanks  :tipup:
FISH ON!!!

Offline perchice

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Spud Question
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2019, 10:16 AM »

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2019, 10:44 AM »
Good video.  The key is to  learn and understand the "feel " when your bar hits the ice. There are hard solid strikes and soft sinking strikes.
If my bar sinks , then I keep striking until I hit water to figure the thickness.  Its very dangerous at that point and you should never take a step without striking where your foot will step.

If it's a solid " thunk " and it takes a few ( 3-4) wacks to poke through,  then I'm more comfortable striking every other step.

There really is no real answer except if you feel uncomfortable then you should not proceed.
I will be striking my spud every step on the lake I'm fishing tomorrow.

Offline trapper2000

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2019, 02:46 PM »
 ...on  any  new  or  uncomfortable  ice I really do    hit the  spud  2 or  3 times  hard every step ...yes after awhile  you  can hear the  difference  between  solid ice  and   junk ice   3  strikes  and  no water i'm good  for that step  ...after awhile it  will become  second  nature ...I  really don't  joke or  bs  about safety  use that spud   have  picks  a whistle  a  cell phone in a water tight  bag  a whistle   flash light  .....and a  compass I  really  carry that stuff with me  every  trip  rope   in the sled  and my  coat floats

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2019, 02:51 PM »

X2 on what tuna and trap said
 Learn the sound and feel of your spud you will notice the differences

Offline hot tuna

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2019, 03:41 PM »
I was a heavy equipment operator for a very long time.  Driven some of the largest bulldozers , loaders and haul trucks in the northeast.  A quarry I was in was featured on the history channel years ago.
The one thing an experienced operator will always say is you operate by the seat of your pants ( feel) and have respect for the tools given.
I've seen many people fail at those things and recovered a lot of folks in bad situations.

Again,  if it doesn't feel right,  then STOP.
Only going forward may lead to a bad situation

Offline perch chacer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2019, 07:53 PM »
The video was very informative as a starter.  1st I won't go out on ice less then 3", then I always spud 3 times.  My spud strength on 3 " of clear ice tells me it is safe for my weight.  If the spud goes thru with less then 3 strokes it is thinner or softer and I move to the side and see if another location is safe.  On thin ice I spud nearly every step.  Slow process but safe.  There is no standard for all fishermen, it depends on weight.   I wear my ice picks around my neck and have a whistle in an outside pocket for easy access.  I also have a tag rope attached to my hut for my buddy to grab if needed and a throw rope and float cushion in the hut.  You won't have fun unless you feel safe.

Offline 32degrees

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2019, 08:07 PM »
Thanks,
Hot Tuna. 100% in agrement. ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.