Author Topic: Flame King w/o Kit  (Read 1292 times)

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
Flame King w/o Kit
« on: Feb 01, 2020, 07:38 AM »
I'm thinking about investing in the flame King bottles but refilling them horizontally with the adapter I already own. Anybody ever try it?
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
Re: Flame King w/o Kit
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2020, 09:37 AM »
won't work. it uses a bleed valve and a tube to know when it's full. you have to keep it upright. if you kept them both at 45 degree's it will work sorta, but not fill up all of the way. better than using the disposables cans.
why not buy the kit or make one?
also, you have to use an allen wrench to shut the flame king bleed valve and stop the gas from going into that botttle at the same time. so the kit has the dead man switch that stops the delivery of the gas to to the can while your closing the bleed valve.

be sure to wear gloves.

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 02, 2020, 11:27 AM »
Thanks for the info. I wouldn't be opposed to making an adapter, but is it all screw together or are we talking sweating copper? I haven't worked with pipe since I was in high school working with my old man.
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Feb 02, 2020, 11:46 AM »
the kit is straight pipe with fittings and a dead man paddle valve. it is rigid so it can hold the bottle. one hand depresses the dead man paddle valve while the other shuts off the bleed valve screw. it's maybe a foot long roughly.

oh, i just remembered the flame king bottles have an extra pin and their fill adapter pushes down that extra pin. you should just buy the kit.

amazon and walmart have it for 33$ it comes with one bottle. so the kit is only like 20$

https://www.amazon.com/vdp/17478c48ea0d4b9a8a35f389111a0c5d

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #4 on: Feb 02, 2020, 12:17 PM »
Yep it wont work but you can refill disposables and flame king cans with the flame king refill kit.by cutting off the little plastic line up thingy off the flame king refill valve.not that im recommending it tho.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #5 on: Feb 05, 2020, 10:05 AM »
Yep it wont work but you can refill disposables and flame king cans with the flame king refill kit.by cutting off the little plastic line up thingy off the flame king refill valve.not that im recommending it tho.
\
I have the kit, I cut out the notch to use regular tanks.

BUT I went with the actual proper refill bottles from Flame King.

I was worried how thin the disposable tanks are.

Using the flame king tanks, I can refill a tank in under a minute. Using the disposable tanks, I had to weight them, fill them, let air out, fill more, let more air out, fill more, it took me alot longer to fill them up.

The flame king bottles are under 12 dollars on amazon.

The bonus is I can fit about a pound and a half of propane in the flame king tanks. I DO NOT recommend overfilling these, do at your own risk, it is clearly written to stop filling once the gas bleeds out of the valve on top.

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline fishEH

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 05, 2020, 10:25 AM »
The Flame King is worth it for ease of use and peace of mind. Very glad I went with the kit.
The only thing I don't like is the plastic "caps" that thread onto the 1lb tanks. It's too easy to cross thread the plastic.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Feb 05, 2020, 10:59 AM »
The Flame King is worth it for ease of use and peace of mind. Very glad I went with the kit.
The only thing I don't like is the plastic "caps" that thread onto the 1lb tanks. It's too easy to cross thread the plastic.

tip, just push down slightly as you twist the cap on backwards until you feel and hear a click sound, then twist it clockwise. this method works well for anything you screw that is made of plastic. i learned it running screws into plastic and didn't want to chase new threads every time.

that drop and sound is the end of both threads lining up with each other. there is no way to cross thread or make new threads doing this.

you can buy brass caps with seals inside for them if you think you'd prefer them. think it was 15$ for 5 on amazon.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.