The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Harbor Freight Mud Mixer an option?  (Read 1561 times)

Offline greenbulldog

• Team IceShanty Regular
Harbor Freight Mud Mixer an option?
« on: Nov 29, 2022, 05:22 PM »
I saw this thing cruising through Harbor Freight.  Seems to be pretty new and I didnt see any specifications.  I wonder if this would be a good option for an electric auger.  I still use a gas auger but am thinking about going electric, last year my carburetor went out and I had to rebuild it.  Lost a fishing trip waiting for parts.

https://www.harborfreight.com/20v-brushless-cordless-12-in-mud-mixer-tool-only-58152.html

Offline CO_Dinky

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Rippin' Lips
Re: Harbor Freight Mud Mixer an option?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2022, 10:18 PM »
Should really keep an eye on the "Best Ice Deals" thread in the general section.  You can get a great deal on a name-brand, known drill to use for an auger that you can actually trust. Best to stay away from something from Hazard Frought...
Tight lines!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Nov 30, 2022, 06:06 AM »
Much better tried and battle tested options in cordless drills and dedicated electric augers . If you are already in a Milwaukee or Dewalt battery platform there are deals to be had with bare tools and batteries . If not the list below is what your looking for ...

Dewalt DCD991

Dewalt DCD996

Dewalt DCD997

Dewalt DCD998 must use 6ah or better Flexvolt battery to achieve the higher advertised torque

Dewalt DCD999 must use 6ah or better Flexvolt battery to achieve the higher advertised torque

Milwaukee 2804-20

Milwaukee 2803-20

Milwaukee 2904-20

Milwaukee 2903-20

Spec for the proper drill

18V or Higher Brushless Drill

5 Amp Hour or Higher Battery

1/2” Chuck Type

Side Stabilizer /  Handle

Minimum Torque Rating of 84 Nm / 750 in. lbs/800 UWO

DRILL SETTING ....DRILL MODE.. Speed Setting 1  NO HAMMEER MODE !!!
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline greenbulldog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2022, 12:05 PM »
True, looked at the name brands and will probably go that route.  But saw these and thought the design was more conducive to an auger.  There were a few comments that was what they were using it for.  Besides, harbor freight power tools have come a long way the last few years.  I have a 1/2" cordless impact that has twisted off everything I've used it on for the last few years without a hiccup.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 01, 2022, 01:05 PM »
there is a popular youtube channel called "AvE"  he takes apart tools and gives you the 411.  when he takes apart the chicago tool, bauer, harbor freight jobbies  parts that would be metal in milwaukee, dewalts, etc are generally plastic.  like gears and what not.   if you need a tool on a rare occasion, its likely ok to buy harbor freight.  if you are going to put something through the torture of what drilling through ice wiht a 6-10" auger bit does to a tool, do not buy harbor freight. 

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 01, 2022, 02:37 PM »
Especially in northern MN, I wouldn't consider anything except Milwaukee or Dewalt. It's all about the batteries. I use the Milwaukee M18 and you already have to baby those enough. Keep the battery in your coat or it won't work at all, and put a cover over your drill to keep it clean. In a shack, drills are fantastic. Out on the ice, snowmobile, etc. they just don't hold up as well as a gas auger. I actually went one step farther, and have just about given up power augers. I mostly use hand augers now. I still have both a gas auger, and can use a drill any time I want. Just something to consider, if your shoulders are still half decent, a good sharp hand auger is pretty easy to use. We will see how I do when our ice gets over 2 feet, but my new Nils seems to about drill itself through.
-Tom

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.