New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: SOUTHERN N.Y. THREAD (L.I., WESTCHESTER, PUTNAM, DUTCHESS, SULLIVAN, ORANGE COUN  (Read 1096286 times)

Offline Subway4X4

• Team IceShanty Regular
I have owned a Snowdog for 3 years now and love it. I am in Sullivan county and there is limited places where it can go, same as snowmobiles and ATV/UTVs. White Lake, Swinging Bridge and Toronto are about it here and maybe Huntington. I don't get out as often as I would like and it only really has maybe 30-40 miles total on it but it has performed great and saved my old legs and back. Some things to be mindful of when using the dog. On glare ice you will want the tread to be studded with ice screws, I used Kold Cutters. On snow covered ice it blasts through just about anything except deep slush that can be a big problem if you get sunk and stuck. I used it on Toronto last year and went from the Moscow road side all over the lake. The year before I went from the dam side launch that is all pebbles and stones and I did have a tough time going back up when dragging anything behind it. On the snow and ice it is a monster for pulling lots of heavy gear with ease. It stores easy in a small spot and so far NY has not banned or made any registration/insurance requirements on them. Since you do not ride on or in it and it is not listed as a motor vehicle I consider it nothing more than a tow motor that gets the job done.

@Gamalot- what size Snowdog? Does it have reverse?  I wish they still sold the Compact model. I’d like to transport on a hitch haul if possible. My ice gear all fits into my truck bed. Is it noisy.  I’d like it to be fairly quiet, or modified with a muffler.
Old Noob - Sponsored by my lovely wife.

Offline Gamalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Mine is the 13.5 HP full size model and does not have reverse. Yes it is fairly quiet, less noisy than a lawn tractor that size unless you run it at full till. I DO NOT recommend carrying these on a rear bumper hitch in any size! Not because of weight but the back of your car or truck creates a vacuum and they end up covered with sand, salt, ice and road crap by the time you get there. Ask me how I know! I don't know if they still make the compacts or not but I bet if you search you could easily find one at a dealer as a leftover. Reverse is a nice option but certainly not worth the outrageous cost. Just buy a $50.00 Harbor freight winch and carry a collapsible kayak anchor. Drill a hole and drop the anchor and winch it out. Every issue I have had has a solution when by myself. With a pal you won't need a winch or reverse. My dealer was in Carmel, NY, Cutting Edge Equipment. I bought the very first one he ever sold.
If I agreed with you we would both be wrong!

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Hey guys just to let you know I will be locking down this thread but will start a brand new one for everyone..
 Absolutely nothing anyone did ..
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.