The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Jaw jacker  (Read 7572 times)

Offline tipman14

• Team IceShanty Addict
Jaw jacker
« on: Oct 07, 2019, 05:18 PM »
Hello
So wondering if you guys have had experience with these I have a buddy that swears by them. Here is my thing I’m not much a jigger 98% of the time I use a tip up but I am also not opposed to trying something different for different experience. I have jack traps tip ups and love them so it’s not a replacement but considering picking up couple jaw jacker set ups. What is your guys opinions? 
I’m here for the cusk !!!!

Offline nbourque

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fish or die
Re: Jaw jacker
« Reply #1 on: Oct 07, 2019, 05:38 PM »
They’re pretty cool. They do work well. I have one but don’t use it every time out. My buddy has one as well. We usually only use ours when we’re targeting pike but they work well on trout n salmon from what I’ve seen. I caught my PB pike at 24 # on a jaw jacker last March on a dead smelt. I still prefer my jack traps.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #2 on: Oct 07, 2019, 06:18 PM »
Hello
 Here is my thing I’m not much a jigger. 98% of the time I use a tip up but I am also not opposed to trying something different for different experience.

Get some good sonar, some good jig rods and lures, a little advice and then leave your traps at home.  ;D :icefish: :icefish: :icefish:
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 07, 2019, 11:55 PM »
I only use set lines for trout and toothy critters. I use HT ice riggers, lets you set the hook yourself. But I do see where the jaw jackers can help with increased hook up rates, as long as you get to the rod in time.

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 08, 2019, 06:52 AM »
I have a couple of buddies who have been using them for at least three years. My opinion is they are more trouble than they are worth. The hook set is pretty violent with anything but an UL, from my observation it may yank the bait out of the fish's mouth. If you want a hook set use a rubber band on your Jack Traps. On days when the holes are freezing up quickly it's a constant battle to keep the line free, which is, of course, the reason tipups have the spool in the water. But to each his own, best of luck with them. Nothing like new toys! :)

Offline Mancaveburnett

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Oct 08, 2019, 07:19 AM »
I have one that I bought a couple years ago. I like to use it when i'm fishing alone in my 2 man as a dead stick. That's really the only time I have been really successful with it. I don't use tip ups so for a while I would just use the jaw jacker outside the flip over but when the hole freezes over or ice forms on the jacker it doesn't work well at all. Because of the way I fish, I wouldn't buy another one and i'll only use it now as a dead stick.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #6 on: Oct 08, 2019, 07:38 AM »
I have one that I bought a couple years ago. I like to use it when i'm fishing alone in my 2 man as a dead stick. That's really the only time I have been really successful with it. I don't use tip ups so for a while I would just use the jaw jacker outside the flip over but when the hole freezes over or ice forms on the jacker it doesn't work well at all. Because of the way I fish, I wouldn't buy another one and i'll only use it now as a dead stick.

I target whitefish a lot.They hit very light and are wicked finicky a lot of the time.  I have some HT bucket rod holders. The deadstick thing is about the only application that seems of much use to me..... So, I’ve been thinking a bit about some sort of configuration where the bucket rod holder (which I attach to my pack basket, generally) in combination with a down rigger type clip would work like a jaw jacker.  I’d pretty much only set up ANYTHING like that on very slow days. Any ideas???
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline zwiggles

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 08, 2019, 08:47 AM »
I really like mine, but agree with most of what has been said above. The biggest drawback for me is having to get to the ice to set them up. In thick snow it requires way more shoveling.

Offline tipman14

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Oct 08, 2019, 02:35 PM »
Thanks guys great responses . My thoughts of them were not to set the hook or what not it was pretty much just the difference of pulling line up by hand or fighting a fish with a small jig rod . Like I said jigging is not my thing. Some very good points made I may pick up one setup to use in my pop up every now and then.  :tipup:

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 08, 2019, 06:18 PM »
a rod in a holder will do that for you. Some of us think a Jawjacker takes some of the fun out of it---part of the fun is setting the hook.

Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #10 on: Oct 09, 2019, 05:53 AM »
a rod in a holder will do that for you. Some of us think a Jawjacker takes some of the fun out of it---part of the fun is setting the hook.

Gonna play with that rod holder dead stick light bite hook set idea. I guess, for me, the jaw jacker catches fisherman. Glam, Bling, Bam!! hehe. I know guys that really them though.

How are thing up there in Can-ah-duh, eh? What do you and yer buddies target? All good county up theyah!  ;D :icefish:

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 09, 2019, 07:36 AM »
I  tried the HT version and the Jaw jacker.
Wasn't all that happy with either one.
Just didn't like using my rod bent all day and the jaw jacker feels like cheap plastic.
Then at a sportsman's show I saw the AK salmombear fish trap.
Way better quality. Also much better hook setting mechanism that doesn't use your rod as a spring.
It has built in spring to set the hook with a mousetrap style mechanism.
It sets it in the same style motion you would by sweeping the rod upwards.
Works well even with light biting trout etc.
Plus can be used as a quality rod holder when not self setting.
And no need to shovel all the way to the ice.
I highly recommend them.
http://aksalmonbear.com/

KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Oct 09, 2019, 07:57 AM »
Hook setters are just another arrow in the quiver in the endless quest to catch a stupid fish. Some guys think electronics are cheating, others believe that shelters are for weenies.

Each man must decide for himself where beauty lies. I've got a couple of homemade snappers I use for deadstick trout fishing and they work like a charm. If I could ever figure

out how to take a picture and post it on this Forum, you guys would be throwing rocks at your JawJackers.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Oct 09, 2019, 06:41 PM »
I prefer the salmon bear style, I had plans to make my own with a rat trap but never got around to it.

Offline SirCranksalot

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Oct 09, 2019, 08:38 PM »
I made up a version but can't usually be bothered setting it up. It was fun making it, though! ;D
Keep yer stick on the ice!

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Oct 10, 2019, 06:48 AM »

Catchin' Fish

Offline tipman14

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Oct 10, 2019, 02:51 PM »
Does anyone use a bait-caster instead of a open face just curious? 

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Oct 10, 2019, 03:39 PM »
I've used my Abu Garcia C3's for Northern with a JawJacker. Pistol grip rods won't work but a straight handle with a trigger is what you need, I think. Personally, I don't care for the heavy rods . Medium weight work dandy. Remember, you only have to drive that hook about 1/4" to get past the barb
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #18 on: Oct 11, 2019, 06:19 AM »

Pretty much all I use, except I have a couple open face and inlines for colder days as my bait-casters are prone to freeze when it’s below 30ish.

Offline tipman14

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Oct 13, 2019, 12:07 AM »
Nice I think that’s the setup I’m going to try .

Offline tipman14

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 19, 2019, 05:54 PM »
I didn’t realize there were so many different jogging rods  ??? what do you guys run for rods with your jaw jacker? 

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 19, 2019, 06:16 PM »
Ive had one for a few years. When your jigging they make a nice place to set your jig stick while you get up for a break or go to check another line

Offline APJ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • A Jig Rod in hand is worth fish on the ice..
« Reply #22 on: Dec 20, 2019, 05:59 AM »
Yes bait caster works well.
[img       Former-( Air Plane Jigger)

Offline APJ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 20, 2019, 06:00 AM »
Really they only work good above freezing.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #24 on: Dec 20, 2019, 07:01 AM »
Really they only work good above freezing.
Yep, APJ is mostly right, but I have had no problem with them on calm days when it’s in the upper 20s as well. APJ is kind of a shack kitty... hehe ::) :icefish:
You won’t have a problem with them in a shack at all.

Offline Tilt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Dec 20, 2019, 07:58 AM »
I have an Indian Hill Noreaster that turns a rod into a tip up.  I like it a lot but as mentioned I can barely use it unless the holes aren't freezing up.  I will say paired with a line counter reel it makes setting deep a breeze.  Zero the line counter, attach sounding weight and drop to the depth you want, reel in and then deploy the bait back to the line counter reference.  Open the bail, set the trap and wait for the flag.  I will say you need to make sure there is appropriate tension on the free spool or you'll bird nest.  You can also strip line off between the tip and the trip and set your drag light and it will allow the fish to take line before it tensions up like the rubber band method. 

Too bad they aren't made anymore.

Offline OldCaveman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Dec 20, 2019, 10:33 AM »
I have an Indian Hill Noreaster that turns a rod into a tip up.  I like it a lot but as mentioned I can barely use it unless the holes aren't freezing up.  I will say paired with a line counter reel it makes setting deep a breeze.  Zero the line counter, attach sounding weight and drop to the depth you want, reel in and then deploy the bait back to the line counter reference.  Open the bail, set the trap and wait for the flag.  I will say you need to make sure there is appropriate tension on the free spool or you'll bird nest.  You can also strip line off between the tip and the trip and set your drag light and it will allow the fish to take line before it tensions up like the rubber band method. 

Too bad they aren't made anymore.

Go to the Mass. board an check the Indian hill post.
John

Offline APJ

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 20, 2019, 12:10 PM »
 ;D
Yep, APJ is mostly right, but I have had no problem with them on calm days when it’s in the upper 20s as well. APJ is kind of a shack kitty... hehe ::) :icefish:
You won’t have a problem with them in a shack at all.

Offline apresby11

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 20, 2019, 12:28 PM »
Hello
So wondering if you guys have had experience with these I have a buddy that swears by them. Here is my thing I’m not much a jigger 98% of the time I use a tip up but I am also not opposed to trying something different for different experience. I have jack traps tip ups and love them so it’s not a replacement but considering picking up couple jaw jacker set ups. What is your guys opinions?

I started using them a few years ago and they work mint!  They only down side is there are expensive to set-up ($40 for a jaw jacker, $20-$30 for jig rod, $10 for hole cover).  They hammer the finicky or small trout, you just need to make sure you use small shiners or worms.    I think it's more fun to fight a fish on a pole that a hand line.  My Jack Traps have been mostly collecting dust since I bought the Jaw Jackers.

Offline grizzlyhackle

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Dec 20, 2019, 01:14 PM »
I am on the jawjacker bandwagon - they have replaced most of my tip ups.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.