The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Buying two auger sizes  (Read 6787 times)

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Buying two auger sizes
« on: Jan 10, 2004, 07:45 AM »
Maybe I`m dense, I have been accused of such. But I don`t see a real benefit from being able to use two different size augers on one powerhead. Yes, there ar advantages in switching from a 6" to an 8". But there arent very many power augers made in 6" anyway. So its more of a switching from 8 to 10 thing. Where is the advntage there?
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
Re:Buying two auger sizes
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2004, 08:39 AM »
i really dont see any advantage to it at all .i have never seen a fish that wouldnt fit through an 8" hole but my foot really fits into a 10" hole nicely thus soaking me up to my b***s so im not really a fan of the 10" hole. as you already said ive never seen a 6"power auger so ill never own a 6"! so its definately 8" for me  :'( :'(

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2004, 08:48 AM »
i agree, 10" is just big enough for a foot, just big  enough for a small child to go through, just big enough for a truck or quad tire to go through, and just big enough to catch a snowmobile or icerail runner.

ya know its funny, i just dont see a need for an auger over 8"...i know for a fact that a 34lb 14 oz laker will fit through an 8" hole with no problem, most fish will fit through a 6" hole with no problem.

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 10, 2004, 12:47 PM »
and are ya really goin to wanna drill a 10" hole JUST in case ya get that 50 lber?

Melbs      :'(

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Jan 10, 2004, 12:58 PM »
if i catch a 50 pounder ill hang on to him till spring :'( :'(

acsacmboy

« Reply #5 on: Jan 10, 2004, 02:53 PM »
i truly think that a 6 is the best size but if you are doing laker or other large fish get an 8. all of my fish ever has fit through a 6 and most will. if you ant find a 6(if your not laker fishing) get an 8.

Offline smeltshack

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You tell em im coming and my vex is coming with me
« Reply #6 on: Jan 10, 2004, 05:43 PM »
Well i am for the 10" hole especially on a cold day like today. Stinkin hole kept freezing over and my 8" hole shrunk to 5.5" by the time i was done fishing. What if you get a large fish and he gets to thrashing in the hole, dont you want the extra room?
Just my 2 pennies. :'(

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 10, 2004, 05:55 PM »
why not take a couple mins and re-auger the hole? or move over a foot and drill a new one.  ???

Melbs    :'(    

Offline twodoggs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice hard, so fish hard.  but keep it fun.
« Reply #8 on: Jan 10, 2004, 10:59 PM »
well here is two more cents.  I had a 10.25 and when I found a 7.25 I grabbed it.  I have not had a fish that would not fit in the hole and as far as more room if the fish starts thrashing just remember fish cannot swim backwardas so once in the hole it is harder for them to get away.

Huntindave

« Reply #9 on: Jan 11, 2004, 06:26 AM »
Hi all,

I've had an 8" for years and it's just right for me however,,,,

A couple years back I made an adapter for my 5" hand auger to drive it with the power head from the 8".  You would not believe the weight reduction and the increased speed of cut.  I still use the 8" but will switch to the 5" (with power) if I'm walking in a long ways and after pan fish.

If I had a 6" its what I'd use ALL the time.  Plenty of room in a 6" and a slender gaff will bring up the ones that may be tight.

take care, Huntindave ;)

Offline chumster

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2004, 06:00 PM »
Looking for a power head for your 6" laser? Try the ice  drill adapter. Found them on e-bay. Used mine for the first time today and it works really well.

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2004, 07:25 AM »
I've seen a 12lb walleye that would not fit through an eight inch hole.  Up in the Bay of Quinte they drill three 12 inch holes in a clover shape.  A grown person could fall through one of these.
Follow the bubbles...

Offline Muskie Matt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Throw'em back! & report abuse EPO # 800.632.8075
« Reply #12 on: Jan 12, 2004, 08:32 AM »
Melbs7 - First you never want to redrill a hole. It destroys the auger. Second a 10" hole get's smaller throughout the day. I use covers and the hole still "shrinks" when it's cold enough. Third, I've caught fish that wouldn't have a chance of getting through an 8" hole. I guess if you're fishing for dinks, go ahead and use a 6" or 8". But when you target trophy fish an 10" hole is the ONLY way to go. The arguement of chilren falling through is rediculous. Usually if there is 10" hole theres a tip-up in it. If the person leaves the hole freezes pretty quick. If a child falls through....what on earth are you doing on the ice with a child of that age that can fall through a 10" hole? Supervise them. I may be going over board but there is absolutly no valid arguement against 10" holes. Yeah the 10" auger is a little heavier, but thats my problem. And it cuts as fast as any 8".

Offline RodH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 12, 2004, 10:02 AM »
12 lb. walleye that wouldn't fit through an 8" hole?  That's a fine walleye for sure, but not fitting through the hole?  I've pulled 11 lb. class eyes through my 7" hole with room to spare.  Of course I prefer to land my fish head first.  Those fellers who favor the sideways landing technique are WILD-MEN and may indeed require a bigger hole. Ha-ha.  

Offline Muskie Matt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 12, 2004, 10:26 AM »
I guess it's easier to turn the head of an 11 pound walleye than a 25 pound pike. Like I said.....if you're after dinks, go ahead and use a 6 or 8" drill. Otherwise keep your foot out of my 10" hole!  ;D

grumpymoe

« Reply #15 on: Jan 12, 2004, 10:35 AM »
went out to a favorite spot last winter in the early afternoon. picked a spot that had a 10" hole (open) and plunked the portable over it. fresh cut an 8" hole and started fishing. GUESS WHAT HAPPENED?? caught the biggest of the winter 40" northern with a huge girth. had to pull it up the hole with my mitt in the mouth. if it wont come up an 8", it should stay anyway. if someone wants to use 10", its their choice and i dont have any problem with that. if you have kids running around getting bootfulls and soaking wet, they need better supervision. grumpymoe >:(

Offline RodH

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 12, 2004, 10:48 AM »
Compensating for something Matt? We get it.  You catch Big fish through Big holes.  And the rest of us losers who fish for more than one species should stand back in awe. By the way.  My comment was related to ones ability to pull 12 lbs of walley through an 8" hole.  Not a bashing of the 10" hole or the species of fish folks go after. :)

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #17 on: Jan 12, 2004, 11:02 AM »
I use an 8 inch auger and a 5 inch auger (on the same power head, Strikemaster). I change them depending on the lake I'm targeting. Smaller trout I use 5 inch. Lake trout I use 8 inch. Yes I have had laketrout that would not come up my 8 inch hole. His head was started up the hole and I pulled as hard as I dared, he wouldn't come so pushed him down the hole while buddy started up the auger and started drilling opposite the line. The fish started running and in the process he got loose. He was hooked good in the upper lip. I now drill my 8 inch holes in a triangle or 2 beside each other. Have never had a problem that way when I get a big one on. Also had some burbot that were not coming up an 8inch hole. I guess I could buy another auger head (10 inch)                                  Bigredonice: You must be from down south. That 34 lb laker must be a thin specimen or lakers up here in northern Canada must be exceptionally thick. I've caught 31 lb once and he would not slide up the 8inch hole and that was once his head was started up.

Offline Muskie Matt

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 12, 2004, 01:43 PM »
Not sure what you're getting at RodH  ??? My comments were in response to Melbs7. They weren't any type of 'shots" at anyone either. Just stating the facts. That's why we're all here. Good fishing. :)

MUSKY 2004

« Reply #19 on: Jan 12, 2004, 05:15 PM »
8" IS ALL YOU NEED.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Jan 12, 2004, 05:25 PM »
it appears as though some of you may have  auger envy! ill stick with my 8 inches

shortrod

« Reply #21 on: Jan 13, 2004, 10:20 AM »
I have a ten inch auger,and for drilling alot of holes It is alot of work.Thinking about downsizing.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Jan 13, 2004, 12:39 PM »
terrygonefishing

nope, im from upstate NY. the fish in question came from lake george, ny.  anthony's nose, caught on a live cisco by Rich Lamotte.  It fit through an 8" hole albeit with him pulling on the fish quite hard

FYI
Mark C. (works at SUNY Cobleskill as a fisheries proffesor) fishes Otsego Lake for lake trout, and uses a 6" auger.  he had no problem landing 2 30" lakers.

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 13, 2004, 03:08 PM »
bigredonice: I pulled till I felt the hook tear a bit then decided to back off. I guess I could have reached down with pliers and started heaving but I just wanted his picture and didn't want to harm him. Come on up to northern Canada and I would love to take you out to see some thick BC beauties ;)

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Jan 13, 2004, 05:24 PM »
Terrygonefishing:  that whole area has been a dream trip for me, and some day i will make it there. What do you have for wildlife over there?

Offline Ottawa_fish

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #25 on: Jan 13, 2004, 06:30 PM »
I pulled a 13 lb laker through a 6" hole with no problem
and 18 lb went through a 7" hole like a hot nail through
butter. My buddy took a 9 lb laker through 4.5" hole - well,
kind of... First he played it for 15 minutes till complete
stop and then drilled another hole and broke the wall
between them with an icepick. Would be hard to do alone
though...
8" hole is almost twice and 10" hole is three times more
volume than 6" hole - 2 and 3 times more work.
As for the size of the fish - do you pull (or expect to pull)
20 lb +  from every hole you drill?
And finally - How many fish did you lose because of the small
hole?

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 13, 2004, 07:58 PM »
No I don't expect to pull a 20 plus lb fish thru every hole I dig. But I'm an old boy scout and always like to be prepared. Last year I got 7 in 20 range, 2 in the 30 lb range, and 1 in the 40s. They netted my favorite Laketrout spot a few years back (for scientific study)and did register a giant at 94lbs. (all netted fish were released unharmed back to the lake).
When I was younger and chasing girls (20s), I didn't always connect with every 2 legged species I chased but I always packed a hoodie just in case I did ;D
bigredonice: We have Moose, mule whitetail and blacktail deer, elk, caribou, grizzly and black bear, bison, mountain goat, bighorn and stone sheep, dahl sheep, cougar (I think you guys south of the border call them mountain lions), lynx, bobcat, fisher, wolverine, wolf, coyote. I'm sure I missed a few but I don't have the hunting regulations with me. The above mentioned are some of my favorite.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 13, 2004, 08:24 PM »
I can see it for downsizing. I never thought about that.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline twodoggs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice hard, so fish hard.  but keep it fun.
« Reply #28 on: Jan 13, 2004, 11:41 PM »
Just the facts musky matt?   it is physically impossible for you to drill a 10 in hole as fast as the same motor with a 8 in,  as far as catching "dinks" I have pulled huge crappies (18 in  3.5lb)  which would be in proportion to a 32 lb pike (just doing the size ratio).  take the chip off your shoulder and enjoy the ice.  It is after all just a matter of personal prefence.  I can say so far I have never lost a fish because the hole was too small.  maybe it is because I am not afraid to reach in and grab the fish.  I have however lost fish in a 10 in hole because they sliped the hook or the line broke as I was reaching for them and in the 10 in hole they flipped right around and down they went.  With the 7.25 they cannot turn around.

Offline Rat-Man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 14, 2004, 06:14 AM »
I'VE LISTEN TO SUE JOHANSON, AND SIZE DOES MATTER !
LIMIT YOUR KILL - DON'T KILL YOUR LIMIT

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.