The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Which Auger  (Read 6772 times)

Offline GNT

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater 24/7
Re: Which Auger
« Reply #30 on: Jan 20, 2007, 07:52 AM »
I personaly like the Eskimo line of augers. They are reliable, light and very quiet, and for $300 for the 1.5hp 8" auger you cannot go wrong.

Offline molsonport

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 20, 2007, 08:11 AM »
after going through all the past post i went and got the Eskimo this summer was on sale for $219 @cabelas. after today i will let you know how it cuts ice. might have to see later when the ice is a little thicker at how fast it cuts.

Offline fozsey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Jan 20, 2007, 08:33 AM »
after going through all the past post i went and got the Eskimo this summer was on sale for $219 @cabelas. after today i will let you know how it cuts ice. might have to see later when the ice is a little thicker at how fast it cuts.

molsonport

The eskimo, with the exception of the 3 hp, has the same engine as the strikemasters, at least mine did, and runs the same. The only difference would be the gearing and the screw size plus sharp blades. I can't honestly say that the cheaper eskimo augers that I owned cut holes any worse than the over priced one that I have now...I think you will be happy. Don't feed into the hype, it will only cost you money.

The early bird might get the worm but the second mouse will always get the cheese...

Offline ThomT

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #33 on: Jan 20, 2007, 01:16 PM »
NILES MASTER  Had the Jiffy tried the Strike king the NIles kicks there butt.  ThomT

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #34 on: Jan 20, 2007, 02:17 PM »
I love the Nils Master with its fantastic Tanaka powerhead. Its really a great auger.

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 20, 2007, 03:00 PM »
I have heard the Nils is a great auger but kicking everyones elses butt. Think I am having a hard time swallowing that line. I cant find anything that Nils makes that cuts anything larger than an 8" hole. For my application I would not even consider an 8" hole. Ever try to get a 20 lb plus Northern or Laker through an 8" hole? I dont even want to try. Think I will give the Eskimo Shark Z71 10" a try and hope I like it. What the heck, its only money. Thanks for all the input.

Icetroll
     :callcops:
Being in the great outdoors is not a matter of life or death. Its far more important than that!

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • He who has the gold makes the rules!!!
« Reply #36 on: Jan 20, 2007, 05:43 PM »
Icetroll, I have pulled 25lb northerns through the 8" hole that my auger digs.  I have not fished for lakers through the ice, but if I were to do it, I would dig 3 holes and chip out the centre.  Maybe somewhat labout intensive, but works for me.  The Nils is so much lighter and runs much smoother.  Just my thoughts. 

Offline Hardguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 20, 2007, 06:14 PM »
Strikemaster lazer mag 2hp 8inch. BRILLIANT!!

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Jan 20, 2007, 06:16 PM »
I know it can be done but an 8" hole is too small for me. Why take the chance and struggle with a huge fish with 24" of ice in an 8" hole? I am not about to chip out a bigger hole in the 24" of ice we often get here out west. Labor intensive with that thick of ice is an understatement. Weight means nothing to me with an auger since I fish off of an ATV. I would much prefer a 9" hole and 10" is better. Whatever auger I finally decide on will most likely be a 10" model.

IceTroll
      :callcops:
Being in the great outdoors is not a matter of life or death. Its far more important than that!

Offline skinny dip

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Jan 20, 2007, 06:21 PM »
get the one that somebody else uses to drill fence post holes in dirt i did changed the blades brand new and did about 75 post holes ,got it for 20 bucks starts first pull ,and will even do post holes

Offline grayghost6677

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Jan 20, 2007, 07:22 PM »
i drilled fence posts with mine and jusr sharped the blades up with no problems and it is an eskimo

Offline tightlinesusny

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Jan 25, 2007, 10:25 AM »
Thanks for all the info. I ended up getting the Strike Masrer Lazer Mag Express. I ended up paying $239.00 for a new one (on sale), thought this was a great price. Filled it up with gas and it started right up last nite. Will give it it's first drilling this weekend, hopefully it will perform like all the posts said. Thanks tightlineusny

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.