The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Now What!  (Read 6826 times)

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
Now What!
« on: Nov 21, 2006, 07:54 PM »
I've heard that, the Tecumseh Plant, in WI. is 100% DONE! CLOSED!  >:(

Offline Bob_D

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • www.Fishingvermont.net
Re: Now What!
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2006, 07:26 PM »

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2006, 07:32 PM »
:%$#!: friggin peachy :%$#!:

How is everyone going to afford the wonderful crap made overseas when no one has a job anymore ??? :'(

Offline BobWhite

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2006, 08:06 PM »
Tecumseh makes all the hi end engines for RedMax
what 90% of the landscapers use

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 22, 2006, 09:00 PM »
At, one time 3,000 plus employee's, then down to 400, then shut the door's!  >:( Made allot of GOOD, engine's in the old day's!! Before, the foreigner part's came IN!

Offline Muskie Nut

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 23, 2006, 02:10 AM »
I've personally been thru a company shut down.  It isn't pretty and it sure wasn't an experience I want to relive.  My thoughts and prayers go out to each and every individual at the Tecumseh plant and everyone else that's experiencing "corporate restructuring".  :'(
Wishin' I was Fishin'

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #6 on: Nov 23, 2006, 03:09 PM »
Now what??? My auger is good for another 20 years. I have Briggs on my lawn mowers and tillers. I also have the nads to refuse to buy anything with a foreign made Tecumseh on it. I am also not the type of person that has to have every new product that hits the market. If we all did this they would get the word and that is what it is going to take or the only jobs left in this country will be hauling garbage. Just my .02.  :o ;)
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline pike-perch01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 28, 2006, 08:51 PM »
that is correct!!! i worked for General Electric in schenectady new york.when i started there were 9 seperate ge businesses there.it employed 39,000 people.when i left in 2003 after 42 years,there was one busines and 3700 emloyees. the cause ( OUT SOURCING)WHO WILL BUY THE PRODUCT WHEN YOU GO FROM $23.00 AN HOUR TO MINIMUM WAGE.i am so disheartened to think that our legislators who own a ton of stock let's this happen. but then again i own a ton of ge stock.

Offline brujharr

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2007, 10:43 AM »
A little bit of good news. A different company is interested in the facilities. That will mean a few jobs. But, Tecumseh is down the road, or across the sea! I, think the engine problems with Jiffy's and Stikemasters lately, are due to parts being manufactured else where and just assembled here. I guess, might as well build them some where else, and screw the units up 100%!   :'(

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #9 on: Feb 15, 2007, 11:39 AM »
I wonder who the good ol boys in Washington DC think is going to pay their big fat salaries when everyone in this country that actually works for a living is making the minimum wage? Do they ever look beyond their own nose??  :( ???

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 15, 2007, 01:49 PM »
:%$#!: friggin peachy :%$#!:

How is everyone going to afford the wonderful crap made overseas when no one has a job anymore ??? :'(

I agree 110%, I lost my job over a year ago due downsizing. Now the majority of the products are imported from China. This company has been in business for over 125 years and manufactoring may terminated very soon. Worst part is our elected polititions who are supposed to be working for us don't seem to care. :-\

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 15, 2007, 02:00 PM »
We no longer have to compete on a national scale with other States. The world economy is now global, and other countries will continue to offer incentives to attract our businesses. The ones that chose to relocate as oppossed to going out of business are making a no brainer decisions in the best interest of their shareholders and survivability.
Organized labor has done wonders for how companies treat employees, but the fact remains that paying 23 bucks an hour, many times for a non-skilled position, has pushed the envelope over the edge.
Companies now look at developing their enterprises all over the world, not just in the North or South, east or western us.
Other new global businesses will not come here, and others will continue to leave as long as the cost of doing business here is so high, and getting worse with tax and spend policies.
Our Union Bro's are losing jobs at light speed right now through-out the Midwest. There is a common denominator, and it is no secret that new businesses want to avoid relocating here due to all the unemp[loyed, former Union workers that they fear will organize their businesses, rendering them to a state of being unable to compete with the competition due to exorbant wages and benies.
Something will have to give soon. It's gonna get ugly.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #12 on: Feb 15, 2007, 03:34 PM »
When the unions are gone, everything will be all better. Yeah right. I really think that paying a union employee $23 an hour to produce a product is better than what I watched happen in the company that I worked for. The CEO was with the company for three years and drove it into the ground. I watched the stock in my 401K go from $84 per share to less than three during his time at the helm. He got $250 million in three years to do this to a company. Divide that by $23 per hour and see how many employees could have been producing something? The worst part is that the board of directors goes along with this stuff. Sure was in the best interest of the stock holders. What it amounts to is a bunch of "good ol boys" scratching each others back. Why do ya suppose the CEO from one company is on the board of directors for another. When you go to a stock holders meeting and complain, you always hear that it is just normal business to pay business leaders like this. You have to pay to get the best. They need to be made accountable for their actions. They did fine 25 corporate execs from my company a grand total of $25 million among them. Kind of like me paying my light bill. Another part of the equation is that some way they get around paying taxes in the USA when doing business elsewhere. I agree, It's gonna get rough for the working man. I'm glad to be retired, but they are trying to take our retirement benefits away right along with what is being done to working people.

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 16, 2007, 07:34 AM »
Certainly Unions do not need to be gone. Thats not good for antone. But a reality check is needed. Unlimited Benifits and pay are bankrupting American Companies and causing others to look else where to set up shop. If our companies are to compete, we can't do it by paying 5-10 times as much for labor, benefits, retirement and taxes. Companies also can't affor the us/them, you/me, we/they attitude that many Unions foster.
Unions addressed unfair labor practices and unsafe work conditions that at one time were the norm. But now there is the EPA, ACLU, Labor Laws OSHA, MIOSHA and a whole slew of other agencies that address this area, rendering the need in those areas by unions useless.
Now Unions force companies to pay employees for years after a plant is closed. The plant closes to save money, but it does not happen because of the one sided contracts that the companies have to sign under fear of a strike that could hurt them worse.
There are no winners in this, but the reality is theres a reason big business will not locate from other global areas here and abroad, into the midwest.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #14 on: Feb 16, 2007, 10:55 AM »
I agree with most of what you are saying. If you want a good example of what is going on, take a good look at the factories where Nike shoes are made. They sell for probably $150 per pair now days or above. I don't know, I wouldn't own a pair. They are made in non heated non air conditioned sweat shops over seas that exploit the labor force according to our standards. It is good for the labor force over there because they have never made $4 dollars a day before and it raises their standards of living. Labor unions over here forced them to stop the sweatshops and they simply found a new place to start them up. I don't think that a pair of shoes that cost about $1.50 to manufacture should be selling for $150 to $200 dollars. I guess some people must be willing to buy this stuff at that price or they wouldn't get away with it.

I still have the same question. Who is gonna pay the taxes when most of our jobs have gone overseas? What are all the people who retire without pensions going to do? How much money can you save for retirement when you are making $10 per hour and buying $150 dollar shoes? I have noticed the standard of living for the American worker going down the tube while we raise the standard of living for other countries. I think the biggest share of what we buy now is made in (communist) China. Quite a change considering that these companies that are getting rich this way got where they are at through capitalism. I love the one about letting people come here illegally because American workers won't do the work for what it pays. How about we won't pay what Americans should be getting to do the work because we can have illegal labor do it instead for much less. It still raises their standard of living because of where they come from. I'm not ranting here. I'm just looking for answers and not finding many that I can believe in. I was a union Steward for 20 years, a Vice President of a local for 6 years and a local President for 3 years before retiring. For some reason, I have a strong belief in unions. When I went to work, we were still fighting for workers rights and didn't have them handed to us. It seems like people that have these things handed to them don't mind near as much when they go away as those that had to fight to get them. I'm retired now and I guess I should sit back and watch things go down the tube. N0T!!!!!!!!   Sorry guys, but is hard to see something get trashed that you have believed in for such a long time.

Offline SPARKYICE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 16, 2007, 11:10 AM »
our bill of rights was gutted by the P.A.T.R.I.O.T. act.
(yes, the 2nd admendment too)
might as well vote democratic and try to keep whats left of our labor standards.
grandpa told me-"never wrestle with a pig. you both get muddy and the pig likes it".

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 16, 2007, 11:23 AM »
I to agree with most everything you just said. We have a lot to thank Unions for. But what do we do now? It's a big quagmire that is not being addressed. Like a runaway freight train. Taxes can be cut so we do not have to pay as much. This results in additional investments, savings and spending on durable goods that creates jobs and more spending, all resulting in additional tax colection. Kennedy, Reagan and Bush have proved that tax cuts result in a bigger take in taxes than had there been no tax cuts. But it becomes more voluntary at that point.
Our tax collection for USA took in I think itwas 500 mil more than expected, even with the tax cuts, because the money saved by the citizens went back into the economy.
Thank you for your contributions throughout your working career, and thank you for stnding up for the American worker and way of life. :)

Sparky ice;
I suppose you are also against Guantamino Bay? Freezing terrorist assets? Listening to phone calls from suspected terrorists? using enough force to get the job done? and anything else designed to protect us? You cannot argue that it has not worked. What is YOUR solution to keep us safe? It is easy to take a stand against something, but much more difficult to offer a viable solution, just look at your buddies in office criticizing every move just like in Vietnam, but offering no viable alternatives. Just surrendr, cut and run, quit, pacify. The enemy has said this will happen as a result of our Democrats playing politics instead of supporting our trops and mission. The enemy is right, the Dems have split the country, and have no real solution for the oil backed terrorist nation that will emerge as a result of you defeatists.
The enemy banked on the Dems quiting before the job is done! They were right. We support our trops? yeah, sure, but wwe will not fund or supply your needs. I hope your not proud of that!

Offline SPARKYICE

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Feb 16, 2007, 11:32 AM »
guess i'll have to try and become more informed.
grandpa told me-"never wrestle with a pig. you both get muddy and the pig likes it".

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 16, 2007, 11:33 AM »
guess i'll have to try and become more informed.
The good thing is that your involved and at least speak up on the issues. Too many Americans just sit back and watch. Your a good American! Kudos. :)

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #19 on: Feb 16, 2007, 11:50 AM »
One thing that I learned over the years as a unionist is that is it better for the working man (blue collar) to have a Democrat in the White House. Our politicians of both major parties do so many things to injure their own constituents that is hard to believe they were raised in this country. I don't think many of them are connected with people that actually work in a factory job or something like that. This is looking kind of tough for the next election at this time. Many people aren't ready for a woman in the White House. I'm still on the fence at this time.

It gets harder and harder to support American workers when you don't find many products made at home. I guess you just buy the ones that you can find which is what I do. I feel for the young people joining the workforce at this time, because they don't have much to look foreward to. I still remember when I wanted a new CD player for my house some years ago and I told the salesperson at the appliance store that I wanted one made in the USA. He told me that there are none made here  anymore. That was pretty shocking.

Offline zamboni

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 16, 2007, 08:33 PM »
One thing that has really hurt US automakers was when Japanese cars and trucks began getting imported in the 70s they shrugged their shoulders and said "Oh well, we'll still sell our cars". But then, people started realizing how well made and dependable they are and were. Since then, they have started outselling "American" made cars, first Chrysler, which shoulda closed their doors in the early 80's, thanks Mr Iacocca, then Ford. GM will be next, mark my words. Now they are saying GM might buyout Chrysler, why? Losses for the two combined last year were over $9 billion. Now "American" cars and trucks have become very dependable as well, but is it too late? PS- I have American in quotation marks because of their "outsourcing" into Canada and Mexico. Did everyone know that Korean and Japanese automakers keep opening more and more multi million dollar, sometimes billion dollar facilities in the US that employ Americans while the big 3 keep shutting their American facilities down. St Paul, MN has a Ford Ranger plant that will be closing its doors soon. Meanwhile Hyundai opened a $1 BILLION dollar plant in Alabama that will employ 2,000 AMERICANS plus. Then people say, "Well, the moneys going overseas". Really? 2,000+ local people getting paychecks spend their paychecks right here in the USA, not Canada or Mexico like the Big 3's assembly plant employees. WOW, NONE of that had to do with Tecumseh, but I feel better.

Offline RealityCheck

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 16, 2007, 08:55 PM »
I agree that the patriot act gutted are rights......what do we do about it?   Well for right now...nobody cares :-\.  Things are going to get worse until AMERICANS stand up and say....HEY THAT IS NOT RIGHT.....and let the lawmakers know how it is going to be.  How do we do that ....KICK A$$!!!  but oh wait......there are alot of lazy *****s in this country...who have the mentality...if you leave me alone, I will leave you alone.  . For example, one way to get gas prices down would be hmmm.... all union truckers stop there truck on the highway and clog things up till lawmakers get the idea, that we are not going to put up with price gouging  anymore! And If the "scabs" come out to work....I and all the other people will hall them out of there trucks and kick there a$$.  The common working man has NO representation any more.  Money talks...and the common man doesn't have enough of that to make a difference.  So what is left???  TO KICK A$$.  This country is not very old.  We will have another revolution.  Look at history....it will happen.  Am I going to start is with  this email...probably not.  But I hope you think about what I say during your quiet time ice fishing the next few days.  What will you do in the next year to make a better USA? I am proud of the unions, I am proud of everyone who has a opinion in here and posts it!  Even if our views differ.
Bullet with a name on it.

Offline darkhousefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Me and my fishing buddy
« Reply #22 on: Feb 25, 2007, 04:23 PM »
Unions addressed unfair labor practices and unsafe work conditions that at one time were the norm. But now there is the EPA, ACLU, Labor Laws OSHA, MIOSHA and a whole slew of other agencies that address this area, rendering the need in those areas by unions useless.
I guaruntee once the unions are gone, so are these agencies.  Unions are the only reason we have such agencys.

Offline empty hook

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Feb 25, 2007, 06:27 PM »
I guaruntee once the unions are gone, so are these agencies.  Unions are the only reason we have such agencys.
Since the Big Three has gone to other countries to get the cheap labor the prices of the cars and trucks  and other products has really dropped.  [Not]    neither has the pay for the upper positions for the Big Three.I was union for 37 years with two companies and always said buy American sorry I no longer say that.

Offline KingFisher1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Feb 25, 2007, 07:50 PM »
Unions are the reason that the US and our Ontario brothers are in the crunch that they are.  Here in Alberta, the land of oil and money, where people are willing to work, we can make upward of $700./day(expenses included)working in the oilfield.  You work all the hours that you want, and get paid accordingly, not the hours that the union dictates.  Just my 2 bits worth!!!
If I were to respond to this idiotic post the way I would like to, I'd probably get kicked off this site, so let me just say that you are so absolutely and completely wrong that it is embarrasing, and everyone here should feel sorry for you for your lack of knowledge

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #25 on: Feb 25, 2007, 08:05 PM »
Unions are the reason that the US and our Ontario brothers are in the crunch that they are.  Here in Alberta, the land of oil and money, where people are willing to work, we can make upward of $700./day(expenses included)working in the oilfield.  You work all the hours that you want, and get paid accordingly, not the hours that the union dictates.  Just my 2 bits worth!!!
[/quote

Union people aren't willing to work right. I was union for over 36 years and quite a bit of it was 12 hr days 6 days per week. I was also a union steward for 25 years, local vice president for six years and local president for three years. I guess you could say that for nine of those years, I had two jobs didn't I. Not bad for a union lackey that doesn't like to work. Running cats, backhoes, trenchers and the like. I guess union members get automated equipment right? Hours dictated by the union? They don't decide how many hours you work, that is between the employee and the company. They do bargain for your wage scale though. You know what that is don't you? I get so tired of reading posts from people about unions that are totally clueless. Never belonged to one have you? Get your head out of the sand and read a little union history. You might be able to make an informed  post next time. It sure looks easy until you have done it doesn't it. Do you really think a union decides how much work you do? When you find that people are no longer getting  overtime pay, pensions, or any other type of benefits you can blame that on the lack of unions. sheesh!!!  >:(

Offline KingFisher1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 25, 2007, 08:28 PM »
Well said, Ice Dawg. I'm a third generation union member and I wish these non-union people would realize how much unions have improved working conditions for ALL the workers. Non-union labor even benefits from unions because of the prevailing wage laws. Also meny of the benefits given by non-union employers are given out of fear that their employees will want to join a union if they see how much better the union employees benefits are.

Offline bushbunny

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • He who has the gold makes the rules!!!
« Reply #27 on: Feb 25, 2007, 08:47 PM »
Love being the devil's advocate!!!  As an independent oilfield consultant, I do not belong to a union.  I negotiate my own daily rates, my own benefits, and keep the hours that I choose, on the jobs that I choose to take on.  All the power to those that work union.  I personally prefer to be my own boss and work my own hours and make my $250K + expenses annually!!!!  Not bad for a nonunion lackey. 

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #28 on: Feb 25, 2007, 09:08 PM »
KingFisher1, I guess that in my opinion, when the unions are gone and the sweatshops are back, people will figure it out. I'm retired and I have my pension and whatever benefits come with retirement. I am a lifetime union member and still active in the retiree end of it. It is hard to give something up that you had to fight for, but if it has been handed to you it isn't as hard. I can see what is happening to the workforce and inside the workforce and it isn't going to be good. The corporations are making record profits and pay for workers isn't even keeping up with the rate of inflation. I hear people all the time talking about not being able to afford a new or newer boat or whatever they want. When the unions are gone they won't be able to afford the bait so why have a boat. At least I'm on the sidelines now and not right in the middle. It promises to be very interesting. Looked at the home loan foreclosures lately? Could this be a sign??

bushbunny, I'm glad you are happy with your situation. Evidently "Unions are the reason that the US and our Ontario brothers are in the crunch that they are." doesn't apply to you does it. My guess is that you have more education than the average joe out in the oil patch. I'm still waiting to hear why the unions caused the crunch. Where I worked, the company set the standards that union workers had to meet not the union. Not much I can say about independent oilfield consultants as I'm not familiar with that field and don't care to pretend that I am.

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Feb 26, 2007, 08:56 AM »
I know a guy who works in a local post office as a clerk for 25 years. He can retire at 45 with half pay and benefits and currently makes over 38.00 an hour. Meanwhile my grandfather has worked as a mechanic in a factory for over 60 years and is making about $17.50 an hour. Working conditions in the factory were good and fair, I know I worked there for a few years. Why is it that guy in the post office who knows less about his job than my grandfather does gets paid almost three times what my grandfather does after so many years. Only reason is the union. Sorry to say but your unions may have had there place years ago but IMO there have been killing this country slowly for the last 25 years by inflating the wage and benefits mostly due to greed. You must realize we now need to compete in a "Global" market and be competitive, this is not 1965. I do not know if I am ever going to be able to retire, definatly not with the pension and benefits of you union guys. Not trying to attack anybody just giving some food for thought.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.