The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: M18 Setup  (Read 6683 times)

Offline walpy

• Team IceShanty Regular
M18 Setup
« on: Jan 01, 2018, 05:08 PM »
Got out today for the first time this season - also first time running my new M18.. put the adapter on my 8” hand auger, put the drill handle on.

First hole it torqued at the bottom and snapped the handle off the drill breaking off the metal channel where the handle clamps down on.

Real pleased.

I had it on speed 1, drill, 24 torque setting. Was I wrong?

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • When hell freezes over, I'll ice fish there too!!
Re: M18 Setup
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2018, 05:11 PM »
A clam plate would have prevented that. Did u have the drill braced against your hip when going thru? I pull up slightly just as going thru don’t bother then !

Offline walpy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2018, 05:15 PM »
A clam plate would have prevented that. Did u have the drill braces against your hip when going thru? I pull up slightly just as going thru don’t bother then !

I had it hovering just off my leg

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2018, 05:18 PM »
Have to brace it somehow, then as I said when about to go thru lift slightly, I don’t have a problem but also have a clam plate

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2018, 05:19 PM »
Got out today for the first time this season - also first time running my new M18.. put the adapter on my 8” hand auger, put the drill handle on.

First hole it torqued at the bottom and snapped the handle off the drill breaking off the metal channel where the handle clamps down on.

Real pleased.

I had it on speed 1, drill, 24 torque setting. Was I wrong?

YES....  WRONG SETTINGS set drill to DRILL mode ....speed mode 1 (ONE)

Thinking you need a Clam Plate Now...plus extension for your back

I would order soon ..they will be sold out soon enough...use code newyear

https://www.overtons.com/Fishing/Ice-Fishing/Augers-Accessories#filters?do=json&i=1&nav=1&q1=605&q2=605A&q3=605A1&q4=Augers+Accessories&q5=Ice+Fishing&q6=Fishing&q7=Clam&rank=rank2&x1=cat1&x2=cat2&x3=cat3&x4=t3&x5=t2&x6=t1&x7=brand&cat_depth=3&matched_cat=605A1
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2018, 05:26 PM »
mark 3:59

good technique

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline OneMoreFish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2018, 06:27 PM »
What auger are you using? Like others have said, pick yourself up a clam plate. It’s extra money, but worth every cent. No worries about it coming unchucked, catching and breaking your wrist, and you can keep your drill up out of the snow with it.

Offline walpy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2018, 07:09 PM »

I apologize if I'm just missing it - but isn't that the same as what I said it was?

Speed 1, drill mode, 24 torque.

Appreciate the help!

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Jan 01, 2018, 07:56 PM »

https://www.overtons.com/Fishing/Ice-Fishing/Augers-Accessories#filters?do=json&i=1&nav=1&q1=605&q2=605A&q3=605A1&q4=Augers+Accessories&q5=Ice+Fishing&q6=Fishing&q7=Clam&rank=rank2&x1=cat1&x2=cat2&x3=cat3&x4=t3&x5=t2&x6=t1&x7=brand&cat_depth=3&matched_cat=605A1
Thanks for the link I just ordered me one for my new setup. I haven't had any problems other than twisting my wrist twice.
<===Lefty===

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Jan 01, 2018, 08:29 PM »
I apologize if I'm just missing it - but isn't that the same as what I said it was?

Speed 1, drill mode, 24 torque.

Appreciate the help!

I apologize as the torque setting collar only works when in screw mode ...I was mistaken ...but after researching the 2703/2704 the side handle seems kind of under engineered...and looks like it could be prone breakage...my buddy has the 2703 that he plans on using w/Kdrill 6 inch I will have to advise him of your post ...this is the second breakage post in the past week .

Offline RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 01, 2018, 08:36 PM »
This is the reason I went with the 8" Nils when I got my 2704.  I used it for the first time this weekend, and it's amazing how smooth it cuts and no breakthrough at the bottom.  I heard about the breakthrough torque with the Lazer, so I didn't even want to try it.  With the Nils, I hardly even hold on to the handle.  After drilling my first few holes, I was wondering how the handles are breaking off becuase I literally didn't have any pressure on it.  Also, I couldn't go with the Clam drill plate because I use my drill to screw in my ice anchors too, so I needed to be able to switch between the two easily.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Jan 01, 2018, 08:49 PM »
Are you guy's using the highest torque setting? I have a Ridgid and it goes from 0-100 for torque. I used it at the 100 and it almost ripped my hand off. I was thinking of lowering the torque. Say 25 or so.
<===Lefty===

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 01, 2018, 10:11 PM »
I just watched a video and this kid (probably 10-11) was using an M18 without the handle drilling 8” holes with an Eskimo equivalent of a Mora. He was drilling probably as slow as the drill would turn but it cut smooth and worked really well.

Seems to me that if you know how to work drill correctly (just a general statement, please don’t think I’m insulting your intelligence) it will work well. I’m sorry to hear about your misfortune. I’m hoping the same thing doesn’t happen to me tomorrow.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Ice Scratcher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 01, 2018, 10:42 PM »
Third thread about this now?

<°)))>{

Offline lynng

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 02, 2018, 06:37 AM »
If you are not going to use the Clam plate, then I would highly recommend the Milwaukee Mud Mixer. The Mud Mixer is much better suited to a direct connect setup.  I have both setups; 2704 on a Clam plate and Mud Mixer connected directly. I prefer the Clam plate\Nils\2704.  But the Mud Mixer is far better without the plate. Downsides, the Mud Mixer does not fit the clam plate very well and it is not as versatile off the ice.

Offline Gills-only

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 02, 2018, 06:40 AM »
Third thread about this now?

<°)))>{
.     Search does not exist for some !!

Offline walpy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Jan 02, 2018, 07:10 AM »
.     Search does not exist for some !!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Jan 02, 2018, 07:12 AM »

Well after you stated these will sell out soon I went to their site and bought one. If you go there now they don't have anymore or at least not on your link where I went yesterday. You were right they are selling out.
<===Lefty===

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Jan 02, 2018, 07:23 AM »

Well after you stated these will sell out soon I went to their site and bought one. If you go there now they don't have anymore or at least not on your link where I went yesterday. You were right they are selling out.
<===Lefty===

Offline jakefetch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 02, 2018, 07:47 AM »
You didn't do anything wrong. Mine did the same thing.  And, it did it with a Nils auger. Had the casing fixed, then went out and it happened again. These are high torque drills, and sometimes you get a little extra bite, or it will break through and it will kick back.  While the drill is high quality, the system for attaching the handle is poor and the casting is not strong enough to support that much torque. I also ordered a clam plate to avoid future problems.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 02, 2018, 06:08 PM »
So, I used my M18 (2703-20, non-hammer) with my 8” SM Lazer for the first time as an auger today. 9” of ice and it cut like butter. No bottom hang ups or issues breaking through. The auxiliary handle was too loose at first so I snugged it up and used the actual drill handle to control the twist/tourqe and the auxiliary handle just to keep everything square and lined up.

I started by gently setting the blades against the ice. I pressed the trigger just enough to rotate the auger until it bit into the ice. Once it started drilling, I pressed the trigger no more than half way in and that was all that was needed. I let the weight of the setup push the auger down and it went through flawlessly. Any force on the drill due to twist was braced by my drilling hand and my right leg. I put almost no pressure on the auxiliary handle.

Honestly, I don’t see how people are having problems. I only drilled half a dozen holes but they all went the same as the first. Frickin fantastic! My 5ah battery didn’t even register any drain when I put it back on the charger.

“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline walpy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Jan 02, 2018, 07:44 PM »
I honestly think my bit is junk.. the cheap Eskimo 8”.

Either way I read everyone response (and the other threads I didn’t find searching ‘break off m18’ - my bad) and am thankful for all the helpful posts.

I’m going to grab the Clam Plate to be safe and a newer bit than what I have. Lessons learned.

Offline cstolp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 03, 2018, 09:34 AM »
I have the 8" kdrill on my m18.  No issues ever going through, just as smooth breaking through as the entire drill operation.
Cheese Head

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.