The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Jiffy E-Z Connect  (Read 6720 times)

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
Jiffy E-Z Connect
« on: Mar 21, 2009, 05:22 PM »
I was doing some research on quick disconnects for ice auger shafts, and I ran into THIS. I was thinking that it may be easier to transport my auger in two pieces on my snowmobile, so this may be the ticket. Has anyone used one of these before? I have never seen one so they must be a fairly new item.

FISHFORPIKE

Re: Jiffy E-Z Connect
« Reply #1 on: Mar 21, 2009, 05:29 PM »
I was doing some research on quick disconnects for ice auger shafts, and I ran into THIS. I was thinking that it may be easier to transport my auger in two pieces on my snowmobile, so this may be the ticket. Has anyone used one of these before? I have never seen one so they must be a fairly new item.
I think they became available this season.  Cabelas has a different version, I think (threads together).  Anyhow, the way I think about it is that I'd like see it "proof-tested" - what happens if it breaks while drilling (breaking through) the ice - bye bye auger!  A good idea, for sure - I'm just not sold on the reliability yet.

Offline wallyboss

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 27, 2009, 07:59 PM »
You will find that the quick disconnect is not at all what you think.  it is just a rubber sleeve with a pin attached to it with a rubber tether.  you put the pin in the hole and you slide the rubber sleeve up on top of the pin. By the way there is no way that the pin will break and you will lose your auger.  You could use a power take off(PTO) pin I think they are called. Or a hitch pin.
When Hell freezes over !!!!  I'll be there icefishing!!!

Offline MasterPikeSlayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 27, 2009, 08:43 PM »
My first white lightning this year had to EZ disconnect and while I had it seemed like it would work real nice... Unfortunately the clutch jammed on that one and had to return it for one with out an EZ disconnect.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Mar 27, 2009, 10:10 PM »
I think they must have JUST came out with this. I bet a ton of guys will have them next year.

You will find that the quick disconnect is not at all what you think.  it is just a rubber sleeve with a pin attached to it with a rubber tether.  you put the pin in the hole and you slide the rubber sleeve up on top of the pin. By the way there is no way that the pin will break and you will lose your auger.  You could use a power take off(PTO) pin I think they are called. Or a hitch pin.

I will do some more checking, thanks for the discription. My idea is to mount the auger shaft across the front bumper of my snowmobile, and the powerhead behind the 2-up seat back. The only problem is that I don't want to be frittering around to much to put it back together.

The auger is just too bulky to haul in one piece and have it supported properly. The whole idea behind the snowmobile is to go faster and farther out on the big water lakes. I don't want to end up with a bent shaft or a broken gearbox on my auger with all that pounding from busting trail.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Apr 02, 2009, 06:06 PM »
Thanks!

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: Apr 02, 2009, 06:11 PM »
Any EZ Connectors avaialble out there for a Strikemaster?

Jeff

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #7 on: Apr 02, 2009, 09:00 PM »
Any EZ Connectors avaialble out there for a Strikemaster?

Jeff

Try this  Quick Coupler

Offline SkeeterJeff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • SPUD, SPUD, SPUD!!!!!
« Reply #8 on: Apr 02, 2009, 09:07 PM »
Thanks for the link.  Unfortunately they are sold out so I guess I'll wait until fall/winter.

Jeff

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Apr 03, 2009, 03:19 PM »

Try this  Quick Coupler

This looks like it may be a better deal, and it works with jiffy. How does it work? I thought they were only    for strikemaster.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Apr 03, 2009, 05:27 PM »
I did some looking, and the only place that has any info on the Quick Coupler is Iceshanty.com! :laugh:

I found your post Mainedog, and want nothing to do with this thing! I have a Jiffy model 90 with reverse rotation, If I loose that bit down a hole I am outta luck! Who knows if there are any of those still left on earth! That coupler thing looks like trouble waiting for an opportunity.

I have tractor pins in my garage, thanks for the tip!

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #11 on: Apr 03, 2009, 05:28 PM »
I was sure I saw a similar connector on Cabela's site this winter but I can't find it now.  Theirs looked like it "threaded" together (opposite "course" thread from auger rotation).

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Apr 03, 2009, 06:32 PM »
thank god mines rusted together... ;) ;D :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Apr 03, 2009, 08:08 PM »
I was sure I saw a similar connector on Cabela's site this winter but I can't find it now.  Theirs looked like it "threaded" together (opposite "course" thread from auger rotation).

Cabelas sold them.

I have two (Jiffy model) that I would be willing to part with....

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Apr 03, 2009, 09:53 PM »
None for me, thanks! ;D

I cant believe that the whole auger hangs on a non locking thread. I found the Quick Coupler on the Cabelas website, and one of the reviews was from a guy who deep 6ed his whole shaft.

Those locking tractor pins will not come loose, even if you drag them through the dirt. They were made to be very resistant to popping out. People drag their three point though the dirt all the time. The best part is the price!

EZ-Connect.. $33.95
Kwick Koupler...$29.97
Tractor Pin....$.99

I love this place!

Offline Mainedog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Apr 04, 2009, 08:14 AM »
Skipper -

Post a pic your your tractor pin? Or is it what I use?

I seriously considered trying to drill a hole into the Kwick (Un)Koupler for a pin, but the two pieces
add several pounds to your rig.

MD

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Apr 04, 2009, 03:04 PM »
It is the exact same pin that I have. They are used to hold down the big latches on some three point systems on tractors.

Yeah, you could drill a safety pin hole in your uncoupler, then you wold be fighting to line the holes up on the threaded collar. You are a militia member, put them up on the for sale board. Someone somewhere on this site will want them. If you weigh them, you can use the USPS shipping calculator to estimate shipping.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.