Author Topic: Quick Strike Rig for Live Bait for Pike  (Read 649 times)

Offline vaughan

• Team IceShanty Regular
Quick Strike Rig for Live Bait for Pike
« on: Feb 18, 2020, 08:08 PM »
Want to make some quick strike rigs to use with 4” to 5” live bait for Pike but I am wondering if it is just as good to use maybe 40 lb Fluor or 27 lb wire with a treble hook on the end for this size bait.

Offline jcrow75

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Quick Strike Rig for Live Bait for Pike
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2020, 08:26 PM »
check out this link. I use 27# wire and put a drop of super glue on the wraps.

https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=243422.0

Offline Fry Flier

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2020, 08:29 PM »
Use either or, they will both work, I myself use 0.030 stainless lure wire since I have a bender

May your tip-up spool while your flag raises with hopes of landing the big one.

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2020, 03:28 PM »
I make my own, I prefer 40lb flouro for main line.  I will generally crimp a medium sized hook, preferably red, or a sing hook tear drop, leaving the look about 1/2" long.  For the stinger hook, I like about a #8 red treble, for small/medium suckers or shiners; larger bait I'll use a #6 or #4.  For the stingers, I use a light wire, right now I have 15lb test - I crimp the lead end of the stinger onto the loop that the main hook is on so it hangs no more than an inch below the main hook. 

I hook my minnows in the back with the main hook so they hang naturally, then I hook the stinger straight below the main hook in their belly w/two of the hooks on the treble. 

I have made the stingers with the same 40lb flouro, but there tends to be a bit more hardware around the minnow, especially because the flouro crimps are quite thick, even for the 40lb line.  I tend to use these with the bigger hooks for larger minnows. 

I've downsized a bit since some of the lakes I fish now have many mid to low 20" northerns and they get a lot of pressure.  I did make a couple leaders with the 15lb wire as the main line, but after a fish or two they become too crimped. 
I don't post on IceShanty often, but when I do - #Legendary

Offline PikeKing23

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Go Big or Go Home!
« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2020, 03:36 PM »
I would just use a single hook for bait that small. I only use a quick strike for 10"+ bait.

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2020, 03:49 PM »
I would tend to agree, and sometimes I do.  But I've found with smaller northerns, especially when using shiners, when they grab the bait cross ways, the back of the minnow sometimes hangs out their mouth, so when you set the hook, you just pull the hook out. 

Several years ago, a couple of the lakes I fished had a healthy supply of mid 20" to 30+" pike, and I'd use larger bait.  Now, there's much fewer northerns and they tend to be a bit pressured, so I've downsized, which is why I've gone to smaller trebles and lighter stinger wire. 
I don't post on IceShanty often, but when I do - #Legendary

Offline Ice Surveyor

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishing is Life.
« Reply #6 on: Feb 20, 2020, 09:32 AM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLSPLs9T8MQ

The more I read, the more I'm seeing dead bait outproduce live bait rigging. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.