Author Topic: What new items will you be buying this ice season?  (Read 16989 times)

Offline Home Wood

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: What new items will you be buying this ice season?
« Reply #30 on: Aug 27, 2006, 09:16 PM »
I went on Cabelas site earlier and looked at some polar tip ups and then checked out the augers for fun. Is cabelas a good place to buy meal or wax worms?
2004 Honda Rancher 350 4x4
2014 Honda Foreman
2005 Arctic Cat Sabercat 600
Jiffy auger
lots of tip ups
2 slush spoons

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Aug 27, 2006, 09:38 PM »
I went on Cabelas site earlier and looked at some polar tip ups and then checked out the augers for fun. Is cabelas a good place to buy meal or wax worms?

Actually you'll get a better bargain using a dedicated bait supplier like Grubco, Wholesale bait company, or Vados bait.  Just be sure to order your bait from them on a monday or tuesday so they're not sitting in some shipping warehouse over the weekend. I've ordered from Grubco twice in the last 3 years and have been very happy. I still think I have a few waxworms living from last years order I made in late November.

Since I'm in the market for a new fish trap or guide, where would be the best place to buy it from,  I mean the best price?  So any help out there would be great.

thanks

Just about all places are real close as far as price from what I've seen. I'd call our sponsor "Fish307".  I know they carry Fish Traps and they're in your same state. Here's a link to their fish trap page--> http://www.fish307.com/procart/index.php?cPath=2_3_718&osCsid=cac6dd94fc0184c087fa9bad498c51eb  They may have a leftover from last year that they'll sell for less. Won't know unless you call. 
Ken                                          

Offline Home Wood

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Aug 27, 2006, 09:42 PM »
Ok, thanks Bean. I will do a search right now and see what I can find. Do you keep these worms in a fridge all the time? Some still living huh, wow, tough little buggers.

I looked at both sites and they are much better in price than Cabelas. Which worms should I buy? Wax worms or meal worms? I will be fishing on Lake Winnipesaukee in NH. I don't know if one type would work better than the other on this lake. These will be good for Rainbows right? Tagged rainbow are eligible for the grand prize during the Rotary derby.
2004 Honda Rancher 350 4x4
2014 Honda Foreman
2005 Arctic Cat Sabercat 600
Jiffy auger
lots of tip ups
2 slush spoons

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Aug 27, 2006, 09:54 PM »
Do you keep these worms in a fridge all the time?

Waxworms you want to keep at around 50-60 degrees Fahrenheit. I keep them in my garage during the winter away from the door.
Spikes(Maggots) you want to keep at around 33-36 degrees Fahrenheit. I have a small student refrigerator in my basement I keep them in. Think my wife wouldn't like it if they were in the main fridge.
I've never bought or used Mealworms, but Grubco says they will last for several months if stored at 40-45 degrees. So maybe they could be stored in the butter compartment in a refrigerator door.
Hope this helps.

Bean

To answer your follow up question...  I use spikes, waxworms, and fathead minnows. I've caught several nice stocked trout using waxies. That's just my preference.
Ken                                          

Offline Big Burk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • wishin I was fishin
« Reply #34 on: Aug 27, 2006, 11:31 PM »
a new rod and reel, tip-up, ice auger and im gonna either build a small 1-2 man shanty or buy a portable.

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #35 on: Aug 28, 2006, 08:02 AM »
Picking up my LX5 this weekend!  Never owned a flasher before but after a year of research, I feel I cant go
wrong. Could have went with a cheaper flasher to start out with but I was afraid I would be wishing for more.
Hey what the heck, I'm going all the way. After all, what better to use the "plastic" on.
May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #36 on: Aug 28, 2006, 11:28 AM »
I picked up a "Mustang Survival Suit" on ebay this past spring for a little of nothing. Now all I really NEED is to upgrade my fl-8 to an lx-5 and I'll be all set ;D
      Jim

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #37 on: Aug 28, 2006, 11:49 AM »
From the reports I have read is that the LX-5 causes havoc with the Vexilars.  Why fix something that isn't broke?  If you get one we will have to designate you a spot on the ice and not let you move any closer to us.   :P
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline swantucky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Aug 28, 2006, 12:20 PM »
I need to get a survival suit and would like to get a power auger.  We have just not had the ice thickness the last few years to justify the cost of a power auger.
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Offline fishincrazy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The meaning of life is fishing with your friends.
« Reply #39 on: Aug 28, 2006, 01:33 PM »
Thanks Bean for the info.  I contacted them but they have no left overs and the new inventory hasn't shown up yet oplus he hasn't got a price list for the 06/07 season yet.  So I started doing some heavy searching and finally found what i was looking for at a killer price.  I will be picking up my new fish trap guide 2maro.  The catch to this is what I paid for the shanty.  Brand new in the box anbd I got it for $299.00.  Thats a killer price since I paid $229 for my scout and the fish trap pros i was looking at were $269.  Christmas came early for me this year.  The only bad thing about this purchase is that it is going to make me want to head out on the ice even more and we still have like 4 months to go. :-\
All I need is ice and the fish will come.

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #40 on: Aug 28, 2006, 01:43 PM »
From the reports I have read is that the LX-5 causes havoc with the Vexilars.  Why fix something that isn't broke?  If you get one we will have to designate you a spot on the ice and not let you move any closer to us.   :P
Just don't forget that I have the cheese steaks in my hut :-*
        Jim

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Aug 28, 2006, 03:23 PM »
    Pretty well fixed up but could do with a new gas auger.  After seeing all the LX5's mentioned I hate to add that I got a new fl18 about the time the ice went out.  Of course then the fl-20 came out this summer.

Offline pegasus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THINK ICE
« Reply #42 on: Aug 28, 2006, 03:45 PM »
I picked up a "Mustang Survival Suit" on ebay this past spring for a little of nothing. Now all I really NEED is to upgrade my fl-8 to an lx-5 and I'll be all set ;D
      Jim
I've had a Sterans Worksuit for 15 years. I've used it for work and play. I think you could sleep in a snowbank and never get cold. I used mine tending divers on the Maine coast and could only wear jeans and a tee shirt at 4 below. Great for early season ice.
Steve

Offline IceholeFisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #43 on: Aug 28, 2006, 05:33 PM »
\
On a different forum, some guys are saying their Vex FL18's can for the most part knock out the interference from the Marcum's. As for designating a spot on the ice for Marcum users, ONLY IF YOU BEAT ME TO THE SPOT FIRST.
First come, first serve I allways say. LOL
May ol man winter blow a cool breeze up your shorts!

Offline tip-uptwo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #44 on: Aug 28, 2006, 08:51 PM »
Anyone see Vexialrs new units?They look cool. Still think Marcum has the edge though with the adjustable zoom...www.vexilar.comI will not be upgrading my unit this year...I just bought my Fl-18 last year..Going gas auger this year..Probobly a ''Stealth'' from Jiffy...2hp will do the trick..Hoping to get a few new Okuma or Shimano micro reels come fall...I find a good drag makes all the difference...

Rods-14 sitting in the basement..Good for another year..

I buy a few packs of Northland Ice jigs, spoons and components every few weeks through out the summer...Must have spent over $200 already ;D Currently I am sheltered with a Clam2000 but have already had a few sneak peaks from Clamcorp. new traps...the X....I don't really like the grey on it but the framing is like no other..

Tip-ups need new line...(Also bought a few Frabill lights for 'em last month)

Have not thought about what I am going to be wearing on the ice this year? Boots are fine...Maybe some new pants..

The ice is going to be here sooner than you think guys!
Andrew

Offline Mongo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Aug 29, 2006, 11:53 AM »
Been looking and looking for a under water camera for this season
Will have to see what Santa brings this year

Offline Byron/PA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #46 on: Aug 29, 2006, 01:02 PM »
Just when I thought I was good to go...................g ot the new Frabill catalog and a few things came to mind. The thing that has my mind the most is the new "Artic Siren Tip Up Light"
A tip up light similar to the old style, but with an audible alarm................. ..look out walleyes ;D ;D ;D
Of course there are other things, but they'll wait.................. .maybe
80% of Americans are unhappy with the direction our once great Country is heading. Yet 80% of Americans insist on buying blue jeans that were made in China, coffee filters that were made in Taiwan and anything else that was made anywhere but here........wonder if there might be a connection?

Offline The Darkness

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Aug 29, 2006, 04:45 PM »
Think I'm going to sell my Jiffy Stealth 8" (never got to use it last year, other than to start it in the garage once I bought it. Lost the ice before I could cut one hole) LOL

Decided on getting a Strikemaster 4 stroke, and the Aqua Vu Zt camera here shortly. Along with a pickup truck to haul all the gear in this year.
 ;D

WORK is that annoying time between FISHING TRIPS

Offline muskie_huntre

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Aug 29, 2006, 09:56 PM »
Mostly just going for a resupply on what was used up, lost or melted down last year  :o

Some fresh Vanish for leaders (2,4,8 and 12lb),  need to respool a few reels with Power Pro,  some new Northland spoons and jigs for crappie, perch and walleye.  A new spare 7amp, 12 volt for the flashers and camera.  It didnt react too well to the aerator back in June and the sides just bulged out!  I picked up a spare Pro cheap when my partner moved to Fla, so I need to get some runners for that eventually, but not a high priority since the one I use has them already.  Just the basics, well maybe a couple more Power Noodles from Thorne Bros, got five already,  but they will custom build anything you want, and I'm thinking  some bigger eyes for hole hopping outside the shanty to help fight freeze up.
MASON

Offline MXFISHER656

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Aug 29, 2006, 11:05 PM »
I got a 4 wheeler this summer and will be using that this year on the ice assuming we get enough. As for dedicated ice gear I plan on getting a flasher for this year. I haven't decided yet on which on to buy. I've used the Vexliar's and like them but am also hearing many good things about the Marcum's. The marcum sounds like it has a few more features, and to be honest I don't like the way the new vex's look with out the "ring" around the screen, could be hard to see in the sun. Oh well ice is a few months away yet so I have sometime to decide! I also would like to get a heater for the shanty, I used a lantern last year and it works okay, but a real heater will be much more efficient. A new pair of boots is on my list as well.

Offline P.I.K.E.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 37 inch pike
« Reply #50 on: Aug 30, 2006, 01:01 AM »
I'll be picking up an Aqua-Vu Scout soon. I also want a pair of the new Ice Armor convertable ice fishing bibs. Kinda wonder what they will be charging for them.
Just waiting for the hardwater.

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #51 on: Aug 30, 2006, 09:52 AM »
A new auger assembly for my XL-3000.  When I bought it a few years ago I could get the 10 inch blades but it didn't have a center point to get the auger drilling without jumping around on the ice.  After cutting a pac boot or two over the years I decided to get a new auger assembly with a CP if possible.  Contacted Strikemaster today to see if they have one available, otherwise I may have to make one and weld it on.  Esox
Marine Infantry NCO- Semper Fi!!!

Offline big big rdg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pike Hunter
« Reply #52 on: Aug 30, 2006, 10:38 AM »
Before I can even think about new stuff I gotta go through all my stuff now and clean/oil ect. everything. Im still thinking im gonna need more jigs a couple more jig poles and hooks for tip-ups as well as new leaders. Other than that I should be set.

PIKEGUY

« Reply #53 on: Aug 30, 2006, 11:18 AM »
I'm gonna mooch off my fishing buddies all year for a change. lol!  ;D
No, I'll have to get an inventory after bow season then I'll know what I need  ;)

Offline Art 53

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Good things come to those who bait
« Reply #54 on: Aug 30, 2006, 07:55 PM »
I have all the stuff I need to fish but for the slow times  I may order up some Strippers  to the shanty

Offline muskie_huntre

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Aug 30, 2006, 10:29 PM »
Esox,

You can order any lower unit you choose from Strikemaster,  they will all match up to the collar on your power head.  I started out with a 10" Lazer Mag Express, and ordered the 8" lower unit.  I know guys who have put the 224  lower unit on the new 4 stroke Strike Lite power head.  If email doesnt work for some reason, call direct.

Good luck
MASON

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #56 on: Aug 31, 2006, 06:51 AM »
Esox,

You can order any lower unit you choose from Strikemaster,  they will all match up to the collar on your power head.  I started out with a 10" Lazer Mag Express, and ordered the 8" lower unit.  I know guys who have put the 224  lower unit on the new 4 stroke Strike Lite power head.  If email doesnt work for some reason, call direct.

Good luck

Thanks for the info..I got a reply to my e-mail, all the augers they make now have the center point on them, thats the only reason I want a new auger assembly.  Will be ordering it today.  Not a bad price, I guess, 154.95 and that comes complete with a new set of blades as well.

Nothing wrong with my old assembly except it was never made with the center point and after 10 years of using the current one I own without the CP I decided I wanted one with the CP, nothing more than personal preference I guess.......Esox

hali-man

« Reply #57 on: Aug 31, 2006, 07:09 AM »
-A new rod/reel combo to replace the one I lost on the last day of the season.
I haven't even looked to see what might interest me...
-The yearly trip for new jigs and lures.

Offline perchnut

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to catch those fatties....
« Reply #58 on: Aug 31, 2006, 09:21 AM »
...and last year it seemed I was saying...good, this should hold me a few years..anyway, Im going to get a power auger...might look at the electrics, not sure. On my resident lake, we are allowed 5 lines, thats 20 holes with my dad and my boys....not to count any hopping around...sure hope i get to use it more than i got to use the new vex last year though.

Offline esox slayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Aug 31, 2006, 09:25 AM »
Has anybody used those bad dog brand jig rods?   They are made by the same guy that used to own jig-a-whopper and I liked those rods, and they were having a sale on those BD rods on the website today....just curious.....Esox

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.