Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Eyeconic rods  (Read 4225 times)

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
Eyeconic rods
« on: Dec 06, 2019, 04:49 PM »
I was looking at the 32 Med L XF in Scheels. I was wondering if anyone uses them for Bluegill and Crappie? Is this a feel the bite, or see the bite? The length seems a bit long to me. I'm not much of a hole hopper.

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Eyeconic rods
« Reply #1 on: Dec 06, 2019, 05:05 PM »
I was interested in the same rod, but the 32" length won't work for me. Supposedly they have other lengths/actions coming out.

Did you get a look at the label on it? Is it imported (made in China)?

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Dec 06, 2019, 05:18 PM »
I was interested in the same rod, but the 32" length won't work for me. Supposedly they have other lengths/actions coming out.

Did you get a look at the label on it? Is it imported (made in China)?

The 32" length doesn't work for me either. Would like a 28'. I don't know where they get the blanks. According to their website the company is in Grimes.

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 06, 2019, 07:05 PM »
The 32" length doesn't work for me either. Would like a 28'. I don't know where they get the blanks. According to their website the company is in Grimes.

I think 28"-29" is about right for me too. We have a guy locally who works with them, hopefully he chimes in here, I know he frequents the site.

I did know they were out of Grimes, was just wondering if they assembled and wrapped the rods here, or were just having them made completely overseas.

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2019, 04:21 PM »
I heard back from Scott @ Eyeconic. He told me that they are coming out with a 27" rod and will let me know when they will be available at Scheels.

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 09, 2019, 10:19 AM »
they're carbon blanks so they are better for feeling the bite vs seeing it.

Catchin' Fish

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 09, 2019, 10:46 AM »
Its interesting seeing so many companies give us a noodle type rod on a carbon blank.  I have not fished with an eyeconic but know a guy with a good relationship with one of the guys that started it.   It is definitely a feel type of rod for panfish.  I will tell you that unless you are fishing with 5mm+ or spoons you will not detect the bites well on a carbon noodle.   I've had 3 of them and for noodles its all glass for me.   I've had a snitch, a sceptre, and the beaver dam. 

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2019, 02:08 PM »
I think 28"-29" is about right for me too. We have a guy locally who works with them, hopefully he chimes in here, I know he frequents the site.

I did know they were out of Grimes, was just wondering if they assembled and wrapped the rods here, or were just having them made completely overseas.
Grimes I went to grade and jr high school in Grimes/ Dallas center. Back when the population of grimes was like 500 residents. Don’t know if it is the same company but I picked up a lanyard from a company based in Grimes just because they were in Grimes.
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2019, 02:14 PM »
Won’t buy a rod that doesn’t have a reel seat. Don’t need opinions, this is just my preference. Hope y’all can get the lengths you are looking for!
Keep it safe! JDL has

Offline matzilla

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 10, 2019, 07:55 AM »
Its interesting seeing so many companies give us a noodle type rod on a carbon blank.  I have not fished with an eyeconic but know a guy with a good relationship with one of the guys that started it.   It is definitely a feel type of rod for panfish.  I will tell you that unless you are fishing with 5mm+ or spoons you will not detect the bites well on a carbon noodle.   I've had 3 of them and for noodles its all glass for me.   I've had a snitch, a sceptre, and the beaver dam.

Yep you wont get that thin of a carbon blank off the shelf, gotta go custom ;)

Catchin' Fish

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Dec 11, 2019, 08:33 AM »
I heard back from Scott @ Eyeconic. He told me that they are coming out with a 27" rod and will let me know when they will be available at Scheels.

Those 27" rods are on the Eyeconic website now.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 11, 2019, 10:55 AM »
Yep you wont get that thin of a carbon blank off the shelf, gotta go custom ;)

i prefer glass.

Offline Ihawkangler

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 14, 2019, 05:37 AM »
I was going to pose a question about these rods as I ran across them at Scheel's yesterday on sale for $69.00.  From the responses above, it seems like they are a legit company and Iowa-based, which is always a plus.   From their website it looks like the rods are made by hand one at a time.  I should have paid more attention to the action of the rods I looked at, but seemed like they would be a versatile rod for medium + jigs up to 1/16 spoons.  Did not strike me as having the sensitivity of a Noodle rod.

Sort of asking the same question others have, but has anyone fished with one and have some thoughts to share?  I realize it's all about personal preference, just interested in some input.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Dec 15, 2019, 09:27 PM »
Hey all, I can answer any questions on Eyeconics if you PM me or just ask on here (I dont check in as much as I should obviously).

They are all hand made in Iowa. They are backed with a 5 year defect warranty (basically covers everything except you stepping on it or breaking it in your rod case)

The blanks are solid carbon, they are NOT a noodle rod. They are a rod that you will feel the bites with, but obviously you'll also see the bites with the hi-viz tip.

The 32" is long, but it isn't as long as it sounds. If you choke up on the handle and hold it pistol grip like I do, they feel like a 28-30".
Mag L blank is your panfish blank, it is the ultimate 4mm tungsten rod. It's the best tungsten rod that I have ever held. a 4mm will slightly load the tip (again, NOT a noodle rod), 5mm will fully load it. I use them for anything from #10 teardrops up to 1/16 jigging spoons.
Med L is your perch and walleye rod. It has a soft tip but a faster action, going to a little more backbone. It is built for 1/8-1/4 baits, but will fish heavier with a slower action. I use it for 02 and 03 jigging raps. I can FEEL a crappie suck in my rap down 25-30' before I see the tip move, and it has the backbone to set a hook down deep and keep the fish hooked.

The new PRO SERIES 27" split grip is a Mag L but slightly stiffer than the 32". It is what I would consider a L rod. This is your jigging spoon rod. a 1/16 jigging spoon loads the tip slightly and the action on this little sucker is AWESOME. It has more backbone than the 32" and slightly faster of a transition to tip.  Again, carbon rod blank, has titanium coated light wire guides, and the premium cork split grip handle.

I know its confusing having the names different than standard "ul, light, med light, medium', but these blanks are not standard. They were engineered blanks and took years to develop, these are not just store bought blanks with guides and a handle thrown on and sold as "custom rods". Not that I want to put down any custom rod builders, just want to make that clear. Different product!

As for no reel seat, this is to save weight on the rods, give better feel, and allow the customer to position their reel wherever they want on the rod. The Ice Vice reel bands were designed for this.

I am not the owner of the company, nor do I make these rods. But I can hopefully answer any questions you have and help you get the rod that you need.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Dec 15, 2019, 09:39 PM »

EYECONICFISHING

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Dec 15, 2019, 10:44 PM »
Hey all, I can answer any questions on Eyeconics if you PM me or just ask on here (I dont check in as much as I should obviously).

They are all hand made in Iowa. They are backed with a 5 year defect warranty (basically covers everything except you stepping on it or breaking it in your rod case)

The blanks are solid carbon, they are NOT a noodle rod. They are a rod that you will feel the bites with, but obviously you'll also see the bites with the hi-viz tip.

The 32" is long, but it isn't as long as it sounds. If you choke up on the handle and hold it pistol grip like I do, they feel like a 28-30".
Mag L blank is your panfish blank, it is the ultimate 4mm tungsten rod. It's the best tungsten rod that I have ever held. a 4mm will slightly load the tip (again, NOT a noodle rod), 5mm will fully load it. I use them for anything from #10 teardrops up to 1/16 jigging spoons.
Med L is your perch and walleye rod. It has a soft tip but a faster action, going to a little more backbone. It is built for 1/8-1/4 baits, but will fish heavier with a slower action. I use it for 02 and 03 jigging raps. I can FEEL a crappie suck in my rap down 25-30' before I see the tip move, and it has the backbone to set a hook down deep and keep the fish hooked.

The new PRO SERIES 27" split grip is a Mag L but slightly stiffer than the 32". It is what I would consider a L rod. This is your jigging spoon rod. a 1/16 jigging spoon loads the tip slightly and the action on this little sucker is AWESOME. It has more backbone than the 32" and slightly faster of a transition to tip.  Again, carbon rod blank, has titanium coated light wire guides, and the premium cork split grip handle.

I know its confusing having the names different than standard "ul, light, med light, medium', but these blanks are not standard. They were engineered blanks and took years to develop, these are not just store bought blanks with guides and a handle thrown on and sold as "custom rods". Not that I want to put down any custom rod builders, just want to make that clear. Different product!

As for no reel seat, this is to save weight on the rods, give better feel, and allow the customer to position their reel wherever they want on the rod. The Ice Vice reel bands were designed for this.

I am not the owner of the company, nor do I make these rods. But I can hopefully answer any questions you have and help you get the rod that you need.

Should've used some of that time to come up with names that were clearer or attempted to use the usual action/power to describe them 

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Dec 15, 2019, 11:14 PM »
Just trying to help interested anglers, throwing shots doesnt help anyone and makes you look like a jerk  @) ;)
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #17 on: Dec 16, 2019, 10:19 AM »
As far as reel seats go a great many folks use rods with no seats. Don’t ask them why they like that type of rod. Their cash their style of fishing. Not mine. Not throwing shots. I also understand the idea behind no seats!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #18 on: Dec 16, 2019, 10:59 AM »
As far as reel seats go a great many folks use rods with no seats. Don’t ask them why they like that type of rod. Their cash their style of fishing. Not mine. Not throwing shots. I also understand the idea behind no seats!
Keep it safe! JDL

Youre fine, that's just a personal choice! Wasn't speaking about you with my comment.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #19 on: Dec 16, 2019, 01:06 PM »
Didn’t think you were! Again I have what I like using. Only reason I even posted here is because if I see something new I like checking it out.  If their rods had seats might have bought one. Gave the reason I was not interested! Have a great season!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Dec 16, 2019, 01:30 PM »
Just trying to help interested anglers, throwing shots doesnt help anyone and makes you look like a jerk  @) ;)

If you have to defend and explain rod "names" it's poor marketing. If pointing it out makes me a jerk that's fine with me

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Dec 16, 2019, 02:06 PM »
should of named them "AFTERBURNER" or "SLOBSLAYER"

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Dec 16, 2019, 02:33 PM »
Or Gold Digger, or Panhandler, or Big Boy Noodle, Panfish sweetheart, quiverstick, Sweet thing, Bull Whip, Precision etc. Do I need to go on? Is there ANY company that is doing "custom" or high end rods that uses traditional action names?? I can't think of any.

Maybe Eyeconic Rods (or any high end rod) are not for you, better stick to clam and frabill since those have normal actions that don't need to be explained.  @)
EYECONICFISHING

Offline hotrod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Dec 16, 2019, 03:48 PM »
What is the MSRP on these rods?  Similar to TUCR and JT I assume?
"I never go ice fishing without my Vexilar" ~Dave Genz
www.fishingwithtoddree d.com

Offline Dave R

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Dec 16, 2019, 03:54 PM »
Kevin thanks for the explanation. I looked at them again at Scheels today. I was especially interested in the new 27". They are nice rods! But being retired it's just not practical for me to spend that much on an ice fishing rod. Especially when I primarily fish for Bluegill and Crappie. Don't get me wrong I think they are well made and worth the price. But just not for my pay grade.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Dec 16, 2019, 04:45 PM »
What is the MSRP on these rods?  Similar to TUCR and JT I assume?

The 32" series are $89.99
The Pro series are $109.99
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Dec 16, 2019, 04:47 PM »
Kevin thanks for the explanation. I looked at them again at Scheels today. I was especially interested in the new 27". They are nice rods! But being retired it's just not practical for me to spend that much on an ice fishing rod. Especially when I primarily fish for Bluegill and Crappie. Don't get me wrong I think they are well made and worth the price. But just not for my pay grade.

Thanks for considering them! Last year they ran a good end of season sale, but I dont know if any product will be left to do that again this season. Last I heard they were selling out at every show and filling retail store reorders as fast as possible.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Bryfish84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Dec 16, 2019, 05:04 PM »
I was in Scheels today at Jordan Creek. They had a full rack of them. 27” and 32”.

Offline frozen eyelet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Dec 16, 2019, 07:13 PM »
I've got 2 and really like them!
Have LiveScope, will Travel.....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.