Author Topic: Live wells for Catch and release fishing  (Read 2245 times)

Offline mattpaul

• IceShanty Rookie
Live wells for Catch and release fishing
« on: Jan 27, 2014, 05:24 PM »
Using livewells is easy takes 5 minutes to make and helps protect fish worth taking pictures of. A livewell protects the fishes eyes from freezing as well as the gills. If you are out targeting big fish why not take the extra couple minutes to protect the resource you can never give a fish 100% chance of survival after being caught but why not do all that you can it is our duty as Sportsman to protect the resources we enjoy. Plus it is nice to be able to put a fish in the well for a few minutes to warm hands and get your camera ready.

Drill 4 or 5 holes in a row half way through the ice and another row right beside and clear the snow with a shovel then drill a hole for releasing fish and filling livewell about a foot away and chip it out to connect to live well. Takes 5 minutes and protects you and the fish.

Matt
Monster Stalker

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Live wells for Catch and release fishing
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2014, 06:12 PM »
Heck of a way to break a leg, stepping into a 30' long hole.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2014, 06:53 PM »
When it's -25 or colder I bonk em.
When is=t's colder than that more than 30 seconds out of the water and they freeze.

Warmer than that and they are released, unless I'm hungry.  ;)2

Offline mattpaul

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 27, 2014, 07:04 PM »
It was not directed at you in particular but the shot of that nice 41 inch pike completely frozen pisses me off but I have seen many other frozen master angler caliber fish on here for the tourney so I was simply posting an easy solution to that problem it takes 5 minutes and not being an idiot to not step into a big live well that you could mark with a spruce bow. If you choose to eat trophies that is sad but it is your right as long as you are legally allowed, lots of nice 30 inch pike out there that taste a lot better though. I didn't make this thread for arguments I just wanted to throw the info out there that some people that care about the resources we use for our hobbies might be interested in. Good luck in the derby drifter.
Monster Stalker

Offline Drifter_016

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2014, 07:18 PM »
That's Fine. I have no problem with it.
It was -38 with the windchill on Saturday here. That fish was frozen before I even got the hook out.
The lake it was caught out of is under fished and full of giant pike too.
I usually catch a 40+ each time out there and is the first big one I have killed.
I have seen carcasses of much bigger fish on the ice in the past there, but not many.
Plus in our super cold water they taste fine, all sizes.   ;)2

Offline fishin_crazy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2014, 07:31 PM »
A cooler filled with water solves the problem.
A Bad Day Of Fishing Is Still Better Than A Good Day Of Working!!

Offline mattpaul

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2014, 07:33 PM »
I live in the north too not quite as far north as you but doesn't mean I treat the fish any different than someone living in a popular fishing area(Kenora...) the live well works well when unhooking fish as well I will put the fish in the well and pull just the head out to get the hooks out so I can keep on re dunking its head to keep eyes and gills from freezing . If a fish is badly gut hooked there is a good trick to pull the line tight and go in from under the gill plate and grip the hooks and twist back and forth. I have saved a lot of rigs doing this and probably a lot of fish too. A 40 inch plus fish is old and should be given respect.

I am aware I am probably coming off as a dick head I just really love big fish lol
Monster Stalker

Offline mattpaul

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 27, 2014, 07:36 PM »
The cooler works too point is trying to help the fish have the best chance of survival.
Monster Stalker

Offline ianwuzhere

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOT ICE??
« Reply #8 on: Jan 27, 2014, 08:32 PM »
good ideas mattpaul  :thumbsup:, ive also made live wells, often growin up as a kid and now for the youngings.
~its not over till its soft, --- "tfg".

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2014, 11:25 AM »
Here's a little live well I made with a 6in. auger. I had intended to give my brother some fish, but since he was too lazy to meet me even though I was driving two hours each way, they were all released. My two meals worth were already accounted for. ;D  BTW they were all 9" gills from a private lake; wish I could find some around here! ;)

Offline PerchPro113

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's Fishing, Not catching.
« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2014, 01:47 PM »
Not legal in some states. Some people would cull their catches.

Offline HuntHard

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • If I'm Not Fishin I'm Wishin Vexilar Rocks
« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2014, 03:27 PM »
Not legal in some states. Some people would cull their catches.

Not Legal to cull in Wyoming without the approval of a G&F Biologist. Either Keep or Release immediatly
If at first you don't succeed at ice fishing

Then drink another Cold Beer                     

Offline fishcrusher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got Fish?
« Reply #12 on: Jan 30, 2014, 10:46 PM »
Couldn't agree with you more Matt.  One problem with me guiding is I do a lot of running and gunning.  To cut a live well every time isn't an option for me.  What I have used for years and years is a lock'n weigh, or a boa (fish lippers).  I never ever weigh the fish with one of these as to not hurt the spine.  I like to use them to keep the fish in the hole caught in, and pop the hook  out before the fish is ever lifted out.  Then straight to the camera.  I have been known to leave the lipper behind and sacrifice my hand and wrist holding the fish in the hole instead, but eventually my bones and joints will catch up doing that.  The frost bite already has.  I do agree completely to respect the fish, as I have seen too many fish in my years here that I know are dead within 24 hours, or swimming around blind.  Mortality is a part of fishing, no matter what gear you use, or how you handle a fish.  But it is up to us as anglers and sportsman to do what we can to keep the death toll to a minimum.  Education is the key.  My clients have learned a lot, and I too am still learning.  We can always try to do/learn more in order to keep this awesome resource available for our kids.

One thing to think about Matt, is making sure that the snow you lay that fish on is sopping wet, especially at the eye.  Dry snow can freeze a fish quick.  If at all possible, don't let a fish roll in the snow.  I measure my fish on rapala bumper rulers (60") and they fold up nicely.  I do see that the tourny wants the pics on the snow, something I just can't do. 
Withdraw to the Wilderness
Wekusko Falls Lodge

Offline mattpaul

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 31, 2014, 03:03 PM »
Couple of good points there and I agree that it would be nice if we could measure the fish on a bump board or something like that to keep the fish out of the snow. I think a couple of the fish I entered were bigger than they looked in the pic I just rushed the picture of the fish on the snow so I could get it back in the livewell for a few seconds before the Glory shot and the release. Main thing is getting more people to care enough to put out a little extra effort to help the fish have the highest chance of survival.
Monster Stalker

Offline Paul D.

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 11, 2014, 09:35 PM »
It would be handy to have an "approved" brand of board to use. Perhaps even laying an additional tape next to the board.  It would work great for the stuff under say 24 " but would be tough for things like large trout and long pike. We do the livewells for a panfish get togeathers. 

Offline cj

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Feb 22, 2014, 07:29 AM »
we have done this for years-using an old ice chisel.  Doesn't have to be real deep, just one last deep small cut to keep the water flowing in-so, if we end up with only one fish, or are done showing them off they can go happily back in the water.  kids love to come look in the well too.

Offline Bill Dance

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Remember, always keep both hands on your rod!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 22, 2014, 09:38 AM »
I used this method when me and my wife caught those lakers last weekend.

Offline cooljordan

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The fish slayer \m/
« Reply #17 on: Feb 26, 2014, 07:07 PM »
Try this, this way easier and will keep fish fresh for a very long time.

Get a mesh bag like a laundry bag or something
Drill 1 hole
Put fish in the laundry bag and put down the hole

You can either make one with foam, such as a swimming noodle or pipe insulation. Secure it around the top of the bag.
Or you can just use the pull string and anchor the string to something.

Best live well I found thus far! :icefish:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.