Author Topic: Blackstrap 2019/20  (Read 67322 times)

Offline speckspotter

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Blackstrap 2019/20
« Reply #150 on: Dec 20, 2019, 05:19 PM »
I have to say that I used to agree with Shawno's assessment of Blackstrap being the "Dead Sea". The last few seasons have changed my mind.

This morning we set up in the dark to try for a few first light walleye. After catching three small ones and an nice 3 lb eater pike, we moved locations and tried to see if the perch were still biting. Again the noon bite was the best. The perch talker / minnow head combo was deadly at that time and it was fish after fish after fish with a couple of 12 inch footballs in the mix.
I have no idea how long this bite will last, but it sure has been fun so far.

Tonight will be a pike and walleye vegetable stir fry - a new recipe attempt.

Offline speckspotter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #151 on: Dec 20, 2019, 06:16 PM »
Winner!

Offline shawno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Saskatchewan
« Reply #152 on: Dec 20, 2019, 06:20 PM »
I have to say that I used to agree with Shawno's assessment of Blackstrap being the "Dead Sea". The last few seasons have changed my mind.

This morning we set up in the dark to try for a few first light walleye. After catching three small ones and an nice 3 lb eater pike, we moved locations and tried to see if the perch were still biting. Again the noon bite was the best. The perch talker / minnow head combo was deadly at that time and it was fish after fish after fish with a couple of 12 inch footballs in the mix.
I have no idea how long this bite will last, but it sure has been fun so far.

Tonight will be a pike and walleye vegetable stir fry - a new recipe attempt.

Enjoy the fish fry speckspotter!

Maybe I should get with the times and just put on green hawger like CR suggests.  ;)

Maybe then I would catch something out there.

I'm happy to hear Blackstrap has been better lately. If I only have to drive 30mins to catch fish as apposed to driving 2 1/2hrs, I'm all for it.

Although, part of me has a hard time believing it's true...kinda like what's next...people on IS are going to tell me they are catching burbot at the 'Strap.  ;D

Now that I need to see to believe.

Tight lines everyone. Hope you all have a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Offline speckspotter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #153 on: Dec 20, 2019, 07:00 PM »
December 1980, right at sundown on the causeway. Two burbot one after another. Since i - phones hadn't been invented, I can't prove it, but I remember the day well. I had been sharing Cheezies with my dog but didn't realize he had also been sharing my minnows. Half way home he ralphed them up all over the back seat. Hard to forget.

Offline ran7ger

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #154 on: Dec 20, 2019, 07:03 PM »
hahah great story speck. nothing quite like cheezie and minnow puke  ;D

shawno i can recall a few guys posting burbot they'd caught at the strap, probably 4 or 5 years ago.  i was suprised too but know the lake used to have plenty.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #155 on: Dec 20, 2019, 07:35 PM »
Was out with Speckspotter again today and a couple other members.  I think Speck covered how the bite was today for us.

If this keeps up, we are going to need some home remedies for sore wrists from setting the hook (with one wrist) and reeling in the fish
with the other wrist.

Thanks guys, it was great fishing with you today and had a blast.

We also had the pleasure of having a new fisherwomen to fish with us today.  And she happens to be Gary Bloomfields daughter.  She
is driving up tonight to help her family after the fire.  No one was hurt, but they lost the restaurant, garage, and motel.  Not a good
Christmas present by any means.  I sure hope they will be able to rebuild. 

Offline shawno

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Team Saskatchewan
« Reply #156 on: Dec 20, 2019, 08:43 PM »
@speckspotter - Haha. Sorry for you that happened, but great story all the same.

@CR - What a ham!   ;D  Tough problem you have on your hands there...or should I say wrists.

Offline Majic_Fish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #157 on: Dec 21, 2019, 08:12 PM »
I think that everyone has their own special sweet spots at this lake. I’ve been trying different spots that I hear different people catching at. I’ve been fortunate and caught fish but not like everyone else has. So today I fished in my regular spot in front of the launches and it was non stop perch action. Must have reeled in over 60 perch. Also caught a couple of pike today. That must be my sweet spot.

Hey Church, I modified your hawger and changed the J hook to a dropper chain and treble hook(of course accompanied with a perch eye). I was slayin the perch all day with that.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #158 on: Dec 21, 2019, 10:47 PM »
Magic, glad you had a good day.  They seem to be biting both not he South and North side, as long as you can find were they are.

Nice job on the modification. 

Offline DoubleHookSet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #159 on: Dec 22, 2019, 08:11 AM »
Great to hear everyone is finding lots of action!
I had a long frustrating day yesterday but finally took my hard shack out on the ice for its maiden trip. Ended up only getting an hour of fishing in before having to get home but was happy to see the shack off my driveway and on the ice.
We drove on at the north dam and the ice was packed with people. Tried in 23 fow and had a couple nibbles but nothing too interested. Looking forward to spending some more time on the ice over the holidays.

Real quick super newbie question: guys baiting with perch eyes, are you using eyes from fish you caught cut out or is there somewhere you can buy them as bait? Thanks!

Offline saskbucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #160 on: Dec 22, 2019, 09:04 AM »
Perch eyes from the perch you’ve caught.
Get outside.  It does a body and mind good!

Offline DoubleHookSet

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #161 on: Dec 22, 2019, 10:11 AM »
Thanks. I figured as much but thought it doesnt hurt to ask.

Offline speckspotter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #162 on: Dec 22, 2019, 12:27 PM »

Offline Big Zekey

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #163 on: Dec 22, 2019, 01:42 PM »
What depth is everyone fishing for the perch? Was out yesterday and was in about 28feet and only caught a couple.

Offline saskbucks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #164 on: Dec 22, 2019, 04:11 PM »
What depth is everyone fishing for the perch? Was out yesterday and was in about 28feet and only caught a couple.

That’s plenty deep enough.  You just have to move around until you find them.  Was out yesterday catching in 25FOW
Get outside.  It does a body and mind good!

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #165 on: Dec 22, 2019, 07:39 PM »
DoubleHookSet, we always fish for perch in 22 to 26 fow.  Out again today and tried a new spot in the afternoon.  Lot's of perch action,
really steady catching them pretty much all afternoon.  The bonus this afternoon was 5 walleye for me.  Yes, caught the walleye in 25 fow.
The two pictures are of two different walleye.  When I was checking out this new spot this afternoon, I had to drill 8 holes before finding 25 fow.
The first hole started at 15 fow, but still caught perch in that hole and the other holes working out to 25 fow.  So you will catch perch in different
depths.  You just have to move round and find the honey holes.

Offline Cholo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #166 on: Dec 23, 2019, 10:15 AM »
Nice lookin Wally's CR ! I have yet to pull one out out of the ice this year . Came close once , lost it at the hole.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #167 on: Dec 23, 2019, 02:13 PM »
Thanks Cholo.  Just lucky to be in the right spot at the right time.  They were on the feed and hitting hard.  Probably go back there 2 days later
and won't catch a one.  Did catch enough perch to keep a guy busy if the walleye move out.

Offline small-town-fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #168 on: Dec 23, 2019, 07:46 PM »
Finally got out to the strap for my first time on the ice this winter. Landed a couple pikes was out from 1-4 saw lots on the camera all in all I never got skunked on my first day out so I’m happy. ( Minus the part where the one pike that I had on broke my fenwick ice rod in half)
Small town fisher

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #169 on: Dec 23, 2019, 10:45 PM »
To all members on Ice Shanty and all that follow the posts, have a very Merry Christmas and have fun bringing in the New Year.

I am sure the majority of you will be receiving a gift from Santa that you will be able to try out during the Christmas break on the ice......
...we sure make gift giving for our love ones easy........beats getting socks, unless they are electric socks.

Offline Piggyperch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #170 on: Dec 23, 2019, 10:54 PM »
We were out again today on the south side. Didn’t do bad, saw pike, walleye and hundreds of perch on the camera. Pike and walleye had zero interest in our offerings. We caught perch on and off but they were hitting light and didn’t want to commit. I blame the wind direction and lack of holes today. At the end of the day there would be 15 perch on the screen the entire time for an hour and no bites. Anybody else have an off day?

Offline speckspotter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #171 on: Dec 24, 2019, 08:35 PM »
Merry Christmas to All,
and to All a good Pike.

Offline Churchill River

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #172 on: Dec 24, 2019, 09:20 PM »
Nice pike Speck......I guess no need to take the turkey out of the deep freeze.

Another great day out there for our group, still lot's of perch and we had one of our best days in years for walleye,
15 yards away from our perch holes.  I am making a walleye chowder for our 1st course tomorrow.

Offline deringer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #173 on: Dec 26, 2019, 06:31 PM »
Did pretty good the last two days pike and perch.definitely hitting light have to be on your game. Without a sonar of some sort they are likely hitting your hook and you dont even know it.

Offline speckspotter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #174 on: Dec 26, 2019, 07:10 PM »
Agreed Derringer.

We had marks all morning long. A stinger hook with an eyeball induced some bites after I got tired of seeing them idle in neutral just under my lure. A number were "just on" when the rod was lifted, just no discernible bite. The noodle rod was useful for providing frustration as it told me there were plenty of slurps and pecks, but no real commitment.

gman51

« Reply #175 on: Dec 26, 2019, 07:38 PM »
Nice to be out today after some great times with family and friends over the last week or so. Walleyes and perch were caught off and on all afternoon nothing over 18” on the walleyes and perch were mostly 8-9” great to be out. Weather looks good for awhile should be good for moving around.

Offline Piggyperch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #176 on: Dec 27, 2019, 05:58 PM »
I was out today again and you guys said it, that bite is light. Saw about 1000 perch on the screen today just pecking, sniffing and licking my bait. Caught just over a dozen when 3 pike came through and broke up the party. 45 min later they came back, hit hard for half hour then back to sniffing. Still good to be out, I went solo for the first time in a while and it was actually really nice

gman51

« Reply #177 on: Dec 28, 2019, 07:02 PM »
Another great day on the ice catching perch then getting hooked up with this girl The original perch KILLA.....

Offline Lonestarsask

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #178 on: Dec 28, 2019, 07:47 PM »
Beauty fish. Measurements?

gman51

« Reply #179 on: Dec 28, 2019, 08:09 PM »
Beauty fish. Measurements?
. Not today. Guess 28-29”

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor